• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Game is in the name

you can't and won't win every time

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why people think this is a big deal or "controversial"
There's a good message he's trying to impart here, but the way he's saying it is pretty stupid. Rage gamers are one of this hobby's biggest stereotypes and here he is justifying that behavior.
Being a little upset over a loss is fine, taking that emotion and then punching a wall/yelling/calling people slurs/or just generally acting out is not fine. People need to manage their emotions, and if they can't they need to see a professional over it so they can.

Striving to be better after a loss is great.
Being a rage gamer is not

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I feel like some people are taking this out of context. I do not think it refers to taking out anger at other people.

I think this is being angry at yourself, for not doing your best. It doesn't actually mean pure anger, but rather a realisation that you made mistakes, and that you must do better next time. Competitive people are like that, even with themselves. :)

more like he uses a poor choice of words

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Idk man. If I raged out every time I lost i'm pretty sure my friends / girlfriend would think there's something wrong with me.

Slam a moster and punch some drywall? No thanks Ninja..

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
You can lose and learn without getting mad, in fact you're better off in general if you can skip the anger and move on. It really is just a game, sorry you made your life depend on it :•|

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
iPeDQUY.jpg

giphy.gif

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
I feel like some people are taking this out of context. I do not think it refers to taking out anger at other people.

I think this is being angry at yourself, for not doing your best. It doesn't actually mean pure anger, but rather a realisation that you made mistakes, and that you must do better next time. Competitive people are like that, even with themselves. :)

Actually, I do not think they are. You cannot sustain a long-term plan of improvements, recognizing plateaus, setting up training routines with the mindset that anger is somehow a necessary part of it. I met a few people who really got anger issues when they lost (and even if they dropped a combo, which is always a bad sign, not the combo-dropping part but the anger which follows), and it is just not healthy, not conductive, and it adds roadblocks.

There is a reason why in go, there is the saying 'now go and lose your first 1000 matches', anger has no part in that equation. Imho.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
" There's always something to learn, and always room for improvement, never settle. "

The only truth in that whole tweet.

Fergie

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
England m8.
A take totally fit for his audience.

The man knows his 12 year olds.

second part of the tweet is totally fine although something obvious.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
"Imperfection of a craft" in regards to playing shooty games is just so funny to me lol

And here esports is wondering why so few people take it seriously.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Professional athletes kinda have that mentality but it is by no means a one size fits all response. Blanket statements suggest a weak mindset.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
This guy needs to go away. I already have a very low opinion of him, but somehow he just keeps making it worse and worse nearly everytime he opens his mouth.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It is my professional opinion that not screaming at the top of your lungs and hurling your own feces at the television after losing is a sign of a weak mindset.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
This is a gown man who makes a living playing video games for children to watch. On one hand, good for him for finding a way to monetize his skillset. On the other hand, it's kind fo hard to take anything he says seriously, especially given his past nonsense.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
You don't have to be a raging asshole to be displeased and unsatisfied with losing. They're not the same, but in Ninja's world of black and white they might as well be. Losing also doesn't give you the right to act like an asshole to other people.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Thread title is reductive. I came in expecting to make fun of the guy, but he has a point. The way he expresses it is a little hammy, but whatever, it's for his audience. Stay invested in yourself and improving what you do. Just because the point of contention here is video games is non-material considering partly why he makes more money than any of us is due to his skill in video games.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Why does he always say things akin to an outspoken 14 year old who thinks they are breaking new ground with their simple thoughts only they believe to be are original?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm delighted when I lose.

It happens so infrequently, after all.

Thread title is reductive. I came in expecting to make fun of the guy, but he has a point. The way he expresses it is a little hammy, but whatever, it's for his audience. Stay invested in yourself and improving what you do. Just because the point of contention here is video games is non-material considering partly why he makes more money than any of us is due to his skill in video games.

I don't need to be angry to want to strive to do better.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
nah.....I'm not fucking 13 anymore.

Instead you recollect, reassess and evaluate why you loss and learn from it. You don't have to get pissed off to learn from a situation. In fact, having self control takes serious strength of a mindset.

Ask all the couples how getting angry goes instead of keeping calm and working things out calmly......

Ninja literally writes like hes 12

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
Today I learned there is something wrong with me because I simply accept that I was beaten by a player with more skill, experience and/or luck than me.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Learn from it, don't get mad.
Pretty much. It's fine to get upset if you actually learn from it, but angry sounds like an all-or-nothing version of being upset. I get tilted playing crucible in Destiny, but it's because there's some legit BS in it that gets really annoying. I don't get mad when I'm tagged by something that actually takes some legit skill and practice to do.

He just keeps proving to me that he's one of the worst socially aware "celebrities" around and I'm glad that the TV people seem to have cooled on him after seeing it.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Some of these responses are weird. You should get mad if you lose. That doesn't mean you rage at the people on your team, or you throw things, or you slam your fist. But you should feel something. You can be mad at yourself, you know.

I guess feeling happy when you win is a bad emotion, too.

Anything to shit on the guy, I guess.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Getting mad about losing at a video game is literally just being a loser who lost. Being a gracious loser and in control of your emotions at least makes you slightly less of a loser.

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States

i think this is right. I think he could have phrased it better but ultimately nothing to see here, folks.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
Getting angry after losing suggests a weak mindset, because your emotional state is so fragile that it can't handle the fact that sometimes you aren't perfect. I wonder if he got angry when no one would floss with him on NYE...that was one helluva loss.

-----

On a more serious note...he's still wrong. You can be okay with losing and not get angry....yet still have the resolve to do better next time. Not every loss has to be a personal failure because really...life is too damn short to stress your body out with anger over a video game. I would say it's "childish" but there are certainly children that can handle losing without getting angry like he's suggesting.

Jan 10, 2018
Not sure what he is trying to say really. Surely uncontrolled aggression would be the sign of a weaker state of mind? If you would have to argue such a thing in the first place, which is stupid by itself.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
Weak mindset? That is backwards af. Getting angry is a fixed mindset reaction. Growth mindsets see losing as an opportunity, not something to lash out against.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
If my kids get mad at a video game then the game goes off and the have to go do something more productive. I guess Ninja's parents had a weak mindset.