• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
iPeDQUY.jpg

twitter.com

Ninja says that not getting angry after losing suggests a 'weak mindset'

The streamer received backlash after suggesting that gamers have a "weak mindset" if they do not get angry after losing: "When you stop getting angry after losing, you’ve lost twice."

Ninja says that not getting angry after losing suggests a 'weak mindset'
The streamer received backlash after suggesting that gamers have a "weak mindset" if they do not get angry after losing: "When you stop getting angry after losing, you've lost twice."

Saw this recommended as a twitter moment (lol) and thought it was interesting.

What are your thoughts? Most of the replies from fellow gamers seem to be disagreeing with him.

I pretty much stopped getting angry after losses when i was like 12, but i guess i can understand his competitive drive? Also, the main competitive game i play is aiming to get you at a 50% winrate, so that seems dumb to get angry after loss.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
next he'll be like if you don't say something racist after you lose/die you have a weak mindset.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Replace angry with something else, like "realizing this is your fault and working on what you did wrong" and i would be 100% on board.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Getting really angry because of a game is such a privilege lol.

As if we don't have enough Angry Gamers.

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
every person who is competitive enough in their field to be well known and well paid probably takes winning and losing differently than others.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
All he had to do was just paraphrase « Don't give up » but he had to go all macho here...

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Never Settle. I think we've found the next OnePlus spokesman.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
How is this guy a thing? These type of shallow hot takes would not have sufficed in the FGC in 2008, and we are in 2020...

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
All I can hear when I read his name are the videos of him yelling at other people in game

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If your target audience is 12 year olds, I can see that tweet resonate with them, sure.

The actual tweet seems far off for me - I don't get angry when I fail at my craft, whatever it may be.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
We're about a year off from him taking an indefinite break over burnout. The "never settle" mentality is a one way train straight to a mental breakdown.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank god, I was worried that throwing my controller at the screen meant I was getting too angry or something.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
You can get angry, just don't take it out on others.
Th se guys are streaming and watched by millions of kids....shitty role models. Acting out and getting angry because of of a loss isn't the wave.

We had a couple of occasions were this turned into physical violence against other people on the stream.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why people think this is a big deal or "controversial"

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
getting angry is 100% a decision.. Consciously,unconsciously.
So NInja wants his fellow BR gamers to stay in a constant state of anger lol

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
If you're competing - or even just trying to improve your performance for yourself - pushing yourself to get better, and being frustrated when you struggle to achieve what you want is normal, provided it's kept in some perspective. Getting angry or having someone consider you "weak" because you don't get angry when you lose is silly and toxic.

If you're just playing for pleasure, or for casual competition, then "it's just a game" is a perfectly fine and healthy mindset.

Part of Ninja's message is fine, part is toxic garbage.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I love that he blocked Rubber Ross after he made a joke about this:

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends if you even care about getting better or not. You probably won't improve if you don't care that you lose and if you do care you should be frustrated that someone was better than you. I'm sure the best in the world are pissed when they lose but this mindset doesn't and doesn't need to apply to everyone. Or even the majority.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I feel like some people are taking this out of context. I do not think it refers to taking out anger at other people.

I think this is being angry at yourself, for not doing your best. It doesn't actually mean pure anger, but rather a realisation that you made mistakes, and that you must do better next time. Competitive people are like that, even with themselves. :)

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
It's a video game you moron, who gives a shit? I could understand getting upset during a tournament or something with money on the line, but if I lose a random game of CoD I'm not gonna go punch a wall.

Getting upset with myself? Sure, but it's more of a well, you fucked up....oh well.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
I remember back in school, just constantly yelling "FUCK, SHIT, DAMNIT ALL" as I absorbed knowledge.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
The weird thing about this for me is that the second part of his tweet is totally rational, but one doesn't have to get mad about failure in order to embrace that.