• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017

Blevins was one of a few select professionals with huge followings pulled in by videogame giant Electronic Arts Inc to play and promote its latest title, "Apex Legends," in the first hours of the launch last month, generating a buzz that notched 10 million signups in the first three days.

The 27-year-old, famous for his hair color changes - currently a bright, turquoise hue - tweeted about the free-to-play game early on Feb. 5 and streamed the action to his more than 13 million followers on game-streaming site Twitch. For this he was paid around $1 million, a source told Reuters.

The amount underlines the increasingly cut-throat fight for dominance of the free-to-play battle royale genre that, through Epic Games' global smash hit "Fortnite", has pushed major publishers like Electronic Arts to change how they do business.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
jesus dude, getting paid $1m to play some vidya

what a world

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
must be nice. Does anyone know how many hours he played during the launch? Saw 6 hours somewhere but I'm not sure, regardless, helluva an hourly rate

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
giphy.webp

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
That's a lot of money!
Apex Twitch numbers fell quite a bit nowadays but hopefully it'll pick up after the battle pass.

Last edited:

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
That's a lot of money.

EA and Respawn invested hard on marketing via Twitch streamers, and having the biggest one of all was probably a must for them.

Oct 29, 2017
Smart spending. $1 million is absolute peanuts for the sheer number of impressions that his videos would've generated (never mind the absurdly high levels of brand engagement that each viewer would be having!)

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
He wasn't even the most watched streamer playing this game back then. I wonder how much they paid Shroud and Lirik, huh.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this the sort of thing they should tell people upfront if it's paid sponsorship?

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I have to wonder how much cheaper it is to hire THE streamer guy than to just hire a marketing firm lol

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And people who try to say twitch numbers dont matter in response to the viewers waning the last few weeks are reminded they matter a great deal to this game, as evidenced by millions spent on streamers and twitch tournaments.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
pretty much everyone was streaming apex that day. probably like 8/10 of the top streams were apex, and they were all sponsored.

dr disrespect had a great overlay for his webcam too

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
But now he's back to Fortnite and hasn't played Apex in weeks. So while in the short term it helped, i'm not sure how it'll play out in the long-term given the current stream numbers.