• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Why don't more people just stream on both at the same time? I feel like Alanah former IGN will do Twitch YT and Mixer at the same time

This isn't allowed unfortunately. If you want to make a living off of Twitch you need to be an affiliate or partner. If you become one of those things you are contractually obligated to stream exclusively on Twitch.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
Oh we suddenly have these Ninja experts here lmao. Keep hating? I just simply laid the facts. I don't watch the dude that extensively. Years ago? It was barely a year ago.

His manager probably told him to cool it down because he might lose sponsors and stuff. But sure man be that naive to believe he has changed from the inside. :) 😂

To be fair, considering who his manager is, if his manager told him to cut it out, he probably genuinely had to change on the inside.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't allowed unfortunately. If you want to make a living off of Twitch you need to be an affiliate or partner. If you become one of those things you are contractually obligated to stream exclusively on Twitch.

Why is this "unfortunate"?

This is common practice in most fields. People don't hire with you and then expect you to take a second job with a competitor...

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh we suddenly have these Ninja experts here lmao. Keep hating? I just simply laid the facts. I don't watch the dude that extensively. Years ago? It was barely a year ago.

His manager probably told him to cool it down because he might lose sponsors and stuff. But sure man be that naive to believe he has changed from the inside. :) 😂
A person can be a good role model and be a shit person on the inside.

Pretty sure Michael Jordan is a huge asshole but hey, tons of kids look up to him.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I am not a Ninja fan at all, but Ive put his stream on a few times since the switch just to support the move to be honest, with all the fuss about twitch being sloppy with their rules and favoritism stuff, it just seems like bad blood in the water and Mixer could be a fresh start for alotta folks.

.. Also, holy shit the quality of Ninja Mixer stream on my Xbox One X is so good it feels like Im in the room, Ive never seen a twitch stream look that good, not sure what the magic is there.

Im a big Doc fan, and he kinda went IN on twitch in his intro the other day (timestamped)

and in the same stream he went indepth with it and they put it on youtube

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I'm not too familiar to compare. What's the issue?

When the chat is fast like Ninja's the way the messages appear in the chat window actually look blurry like there's some weird motion blur effect whereas twitch chat is instantaneous and easier on the eyes. twitch's chat also has a much cleaner presentation with a ton of name color options, badges, emotes, and light and dark mode.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
When the chat is fast like Ninja's the way the messages appear in the chat window actually look blurry like there's some weird motion blur effect whereas twitch chat is instantaneous and easier on the eyes. twitch's chat also has a much cleaner presentation with a ton of name color options, badges, emotes, and light and dark mode.
I agree with this. I did find reading the chat to be harder to follow but couldnt put my finger on it. There's a lot of small things they should fix about mixer. I'm sure ninjs will give them the feedback

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
I am not a Ninja fan at all, but Ive put his stream on a few times since the switch just to support the move to be honest, with all the fuss about twitch being sloppy with their rules and favoritism stuff, it just seems like bad blood in the water and Mixer could be a fresh start for alotta folks.

Pretty sure outright buying out streamers is the ultimate show of favoritism.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
A person can be a good role model and be a shit person on the inside.

Pretty sure Michael Jordan is a huge asshole but hey, tons of kids look up to him.
Fair enough. I agree, but that does seem fake to me. But hey who am I aye. It is all about appearances these days. Values don't matter because folk are popular and loved. Sigh. Idolism is a slippery slope.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Dude is spending something like 14 hours a day streaming. He's married, and he's got a kid. 10 hours a day is not enough time to be a dad and get enough sleep and maintain a healthy lifestyle; effectively, that guaranteed MS money lets him have a life.
What if in the contract he has to stream a certain number of hours a day? What's he doing in terms of stream time atm?

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

"We suddenly have these Ninja experts" followed by "I don't watch the dude extensively". So I guess your anecdotal watching makes you the expert? Go ahead and speculate why he changed, but it's speculation, end of the day he changed. You're still a hater.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Dude sold out for sure. This is the end of his streaming career. He's done after this. He wants to retire.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
If you go on Ninja's Twitch page, you get this page now:

wsTzUW3.png
Ninja now has to bake a cake on his stream and eat it while describing how delicious it is. LOL

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why this guy is so huge, in fact why streaming got so big in the past few years I've got no idea ? I mean why do people love watching other people play game?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
so dude is at 16k viewers on a Saturday. is it me or is he not really propelling mixer at all?
Still too early to say, but he definitely put Mixer in the headlines which is probably what they wanted short term, but he can only do so much and was inevitable he'd start losing viewers. Though I'm surprised his viewership held so well for this long to begin with honestly, he had 30k yesterday during Friday Fortnite (though he'd usually hit 60k+ on Twitch for that).

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Like, just the business ramifications I find fascinating. I'm personally not interested in Ninja, Fortnite and I'm not really an avid Twitch viewer, but it's interesting what they felt he was "worth." By basically every metric, Ninja's star was fading. He's nowhere near the highs of a year or so a go and he's now definitively not a "championship" caliber player. Don't get me wrong, he still has a large following, but he's basically the "face" of streaming even if his #'s don't back that up anymore. Considering how rapid things can change in this career and the sheer amount of competition he has, it's an interesting bet that they think he'll still be "huge" in the future or if they think all the advertising they got just from his move was worth it.

Only entity I for sure think this makes sense for his Ninja. He's still big for sure, but I think the writing was on the wall for him being a basically one-game streamer that is likely is past his peak for interest. Mixer shelling out obscene amounts of cash for a star past his peak kind of reminds me of sports free agent signings where a small market team will sometimes massively overpay just to get a "star" on their team. His #'s will certainly go down, but his month-to-month grind will be no where near as important if he already got the huge payday up front. Plus, you can be sure Microsoft will have him as the "face" of Gears marketing and eventually Halo. It's just a question if the masses will still think he is "cool" or "care" about him or if they have moved on. But like I said, he got his $ and likely can transition to a less hellish schedule and not just play Fortnite all day every day.

Last edited:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Does he only play Fortnite?
He'll occasionally play other stuff, but loses a lot of viewers usually. Be interesting to see how it goes when not on Twitch.
1 of his best streams was when him and a few other streamers got shit faced and played Uno, losing thousands of dollars each game.
Highlights here, though they are very loud, so be warned.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why this guy is so huge, in fact why streaming got so big in the past few years I've got no idea ? I mean why do people love watching other people play game?

He became known as a Halo pro player initially, then eventually just became a full time streamer, and was one of the first well known streamers to start streaming fortnite when it released it's BR mode. Not really some big mystery

As for why people like watching people play games, I honestly don't know what to tell you. Note even sure what the point of that question is anymore. Like, you could ask the same question about a million other things people like to do.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so he would be in the top 10 of the larger and healthier platform? doesn't sound really low

It really isn't. Not sure what people expected honestly. That he would keep having as many viewers as the rest of Mixer combined? Or that Mixer would turn into Twitch in a week?

Not sure what MS's strategy is either though. If they think Ninja alone is gonna give Mixer the push it needs to become a viable Twitch alternative, then they're gonna be in for a rude reality check

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
so he would be in the top 10 of the larger and healthier platform? doesn't sound really low
It's low for Ninja. Dude was averaging 40k over on Twitch.

Like I said, it'll be interesting to see where he's at months down the line. If he continues to bleed viewers and is down to 6k or something in a few months then Mixer's plan didn't work out.

scaryrobots

Oct 27, 2017
Doing Robot things
It really isn't. Not sure what people expected honestly. That he would keep having as many viewers as the rest of Mixer combined? Or that Mixer would turn into Twitch in a week?

Not sure what MS's strategy is either though. If they think Ninja alone is gonna give Mixer the push it needs to become a viable Twitch alternative, then they're gonna be in for a rude reality check

I wouldn't be surprised if see MS get more big streamers. Personally I don't believe they thought Ninja would be enough 'save' the platform. The traffic difference between Twitch and Mixer is huge so they'll have to make more big moves.

It's low for Ninja. Dude was averaging 40k over on Twitch.

Like I said, it'll be interesting to see where he's at months down the line. If he continues to bleed viewers and is down to 6k or something in a few months then Mixer's plan didn't work out.

During the day he has much better numbers. Yesterday (or the day before) he was like 30k during the day. For a lot of streamers night/day streaming is a big difference.

Baru

Oct 27, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

Please refrain from comparing streamers to athletes.

Enjoy your view from up on your high horse.

I never compared streamers to athletes, you are the one bringing up that comparison. I said that watching other people one game is the same as watching other people play a different game. It's not really that hard to understand if you try. Maybe it would make more sense to you if I say that it's no different than watching someone play chess. Hell, people will watch other people answer questions on TV, is it really so impossible to understand watching someone play a video game vs. watching someone play jeopardy?

I think ultimately people like you will create your own reality and there's not much point trying to have a reasonable discussion.

Thanks.

Oct 25, 2017

They did it for the PR. Companies spends tends of millions on marketing campaigns, and buying him was probably more effective than any similarly priced marketing campaign.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ninja is a good start, but Microsoft is going to have to pull an EGS to get more sustained presence. About 10-20 users leaving to Mixer would really get the ball rolling. MS has the money, but whether or not the shareholders would be approving is the question.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
He'll occasionally play other stuff, but loses a lot of viewers usually. Be interesting to see how it goes when not on Twitch.
1 of his best streams was when him and a few other streamers got shit faced and played Uno, losing thousands of dollars each game.
Highlights here, though they are very loud, so be warned.

That honestly was the greatest thing. I went into it blind and my time about Ninja changed. I would likely be in his shoes if I was drunk as shit.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Antagonizing Other Members, History of Same
This gets posted so often. Do you seriously not understand that people like watching other people compete at a high level? We've been doing it for centuries. Enjoying watching Ninja (or any other streamer) is no different than watching the NBA on TV.
This is so laughable. You should get out onto a park, smell the grasses and play some sport. This I can guarantee you that it will prolong your life instead of using that time to sit and watch someone sit and play a game for a long period of time.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
This is so laughable. You should get out onto a park, smell the grasses and play some sport. This I can guarantee you that it will prolong your life instead of using that time to sit and watch someone sit and play a game for a long period of time.
Yet you used time to post on an enthusiastic video game forum that you just don't stumble upon on twitter/facebook and signed up and made an account to talk in a thread talking about how a video game streamer got paid to move from the most popular video game streaming platform to a lesser known one telling a user that to go outside and play some sport...
*rolls eyes*

Oh and I watch both sports and competitive video game streams...they are the same thing.