• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I know, which is why...

You should use this opportunity to watch a streamer who is actually interesting, has a personality and isn't a millionaire corporate shill with hundreds of thousands of fans without the backbone to be outspoken about social issues.

Or we just let people enjoy the things they want to enjoy. How's that for a change?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, this is crazy! I thought maybe a few million, like 5 or so, but holy crap at around 50 million!

Could end up being a smart bet though. Already a lot more traffic and discussion on the topic of Mixer.

i think that is to be expected but can ninja really be the catalyst that makes mixer popular? twitch is super dug in with gamers. way too many streamers there are not going to switch and upend their established income streams.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this is crazy! I thought maybe a few million, like 5 or so, but holy crap at around 50 million!

Could end up being a smart bet though. Already a lot more traffic and discussion on the topic of Mixer.

50 million! Jesus Christ that's excellent business. Seems like is already working with the App, everything going smooth. I just feel bad for the people who recently bought year long subs to his Twitch channel, but what can you do.

He refuses to stream with women because he doesn't want to be accused of cheating on his wife.
This still boggles my mind. Instead of teaching your young, impressionable audience that is ok to be in a relationship and still have opposite-sex friends, he just decided to ignore the chance and do nothing about it. I hope Microsoft enforces him to change his attitudes about it, I mean, that money can change a lot of people :P (For the record, I know it's not his job to be teaching people, that's what a parent should do, but still, when you are this popular and influential, it doesn't hurt to be a positive enforcement in your audience).

Last edited:

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i think that is to be expected but can ninja really be the catalyst that makes mixer popular? twitch is super dug in with gamers. way too many streamers there are not going to switch and upend their established income streams.
If Mixer is willing to pay streamers to move, Ninja jumping ship probably makes a lot of other people feel better about a potential move.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

People asked for a sauce on that number, though. To me it seems like a lot, to be honest, but people said the same thing when Ms bought Minecraft and see how that turned out.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Comment wasnt meant to sound derogatory so changed it anyway.

Corporations throw money around in different ways to achieve marketshare. They buy exclusive rights, etc..

This was new to me, hearing MS paid a popular streamer to come to their platform.

This is pretty strange times tbh. I do wonder how much of an influence it could actually be, because right now this just sounds like Jay Z being exclusive to Tidal. 😂😂

Sure it will bring stans to the platform but i don't think the results will be bigger than they think.

Deleted member 55421

Banned
Mar 29, 2019

Yeah. Maybe not "make mixer popular" right off the bat, but people will definitely start taking it seriously as a streaming platform. Its a beginning of sorts.

edit: already close to 17k watching a timer on screen

Nov 30, 2017
This is pretty strange times tbh. I do wonder how much of an influence it could actually be, because right now this just sounds like Jay Z being exclusive to Tidal. 😂😂

Sure it will bring stans to the platform but i don't think the results will be bigger than they think.

Kind of what I was thinking. I guess every little edge helps I suppose is what they might think.

I cant see people buying an XBOX for this reason, at least not a big enough number to offset the investment, but you never know I guess.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I have no earthly idea why this entire situation interests me so much as I don't care about Fortnite and I've probably watched less than 5 minutes total of him (no real opinion of him), but it just fascinates me seeing the "business" side of streaming games. I actually think it makes sense from almost every angle.

From Ninja's POV: He is still a HUGE deal, but every Twitch metric you can judge him by he is MASSIVELY down from a year ago. He's not even coming in close to pulling in similar #'s from the past, he streams much less, and his ability is not "championship" level which he was considered "elite" before the competitive scene hit, so his "mystique" took a sizeable hit.

Honestly, his "future" on Twitch might have been ugly for him. He's basically a one-game streamer and he's not near the top when it consistently comes to drawing in viewers and his ability. Also, seems to be doing more "business" type of things so he has less interest in grinding it out all day on Twitch. Moving to Mixer, his #'s will hardly be held to the same microscope that they might have been at Twitch and he can do more "business-sy" type of things and be more of a brand ambassador (he'll probably be a huge component of the next Halo reveal/coverage/preview/etc). Also, probably got a buttload of $ for it, which is pretty savvy move at the "twilight" of the peak of his streaming career.

Microsoft/Mixer: I kind of look at this from a sports POV where a small market team massively overpays for an aging free agent. That makes it sound worse than it probably is, but the ripple effect of people talking about their platform and whatnot just from paying him is probably well worth it. The $ spent was more of an advertisement for Mixer rather than an expectation of what they expect to get back from Ninja's streams. Probably well worth it to make that splash and show people that there is an alternative to Twitch.

Twitch: I honestly don't think they care that much. Ninja is a "big deal," but nowhere near what he was a year ago and there's a never-ending supply of gaming prodigy 15-year-olds who will vie for his audience and probably a vast amount of his subs were Twitch Prime which obviously won't carry over to Mixer thus locking in people to the Twitch platform.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
Also, hypezone is a load of fun. Watching kids suddenly go from 1 viewer to 300+ viewers when they're in the final part of the game is hilarious to watch. They often choke.
uu9pmDP.gif

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking. Remember when Ninja broke all kinds of records by having Drake stream with him? Which was also the first time that people like me (who don't follow streamers at all) ever heard of Ninja. What's the Mixer stunt going to be, along those lines? MS paying The Rock to come stream with Ninja? Who else is bigger than, or as big as Drake, that they could rope into helping Ninja break that Twitch record?

Known gamer and wielder of the mightiest banhammer in all realms: Chris Hemsworth.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Rationalizing Sexism
He refuses to stream with women because he doesn't want to be accused of cheating on his wife.

This is his exact quote:

"If I have one conversation with one female streamer where we're playing with one another, and even if there's a hint of flirting, that is going to be taken and going to be put on every single video and be clickbait forever," Blevins told Polygon.

You can twist that into whatever you want but it's very sound reasoning.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
What happens to all the people who subbed for many months or even years? They wasted their money?
Sorry if this was answered, or if this isn't even how Twitch subs work. ;)
I just know I've seen people sub for months at a time.

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised by the $50m number considering what people are saying he turned down from Twitch, and also what streamers have said they were offered who are nowhere near Ninja's size.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see both sides on this. On one side he was paid to be exclusive to a certain platform meaning if you want to indulge in all of his ninjaness you will have to go to mixer and that's similar to how EGS is paying for games to be on their platform vs others. On the other hand Ninja was really only going to stream on twitch in the first place so places like mixer and youtube weren't going to get that content for the most part anyway. So now he's just going from one exclusive place to the other. With the games paying for exclusive games most of those games were going to be on multiple platforms and now they are only on one. At least for the time being.

it's similar to nearly every broadcast production. I'd even go as far as sayning they are directly trying to emulate Howard Stern's move to Sirius but there are tons of examples of media personalities being wooed to move from one exclusive platform to another. I think your'e right that the parallel to EGS doesn't hold up because the complaint there (whether it bothers you or not) is that Steam was never exclusive in the first place but Twitch was and the norms are very different between stores and broadcast

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
HYPEZONE is hilarious and worth watching. Seeing streamers freak out and choke won't ever get old.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Racist streamer Ice Poseidon who is banned on Twitch tweeted that he was going to try Mixer because Ninja was moving there and none other than Mixer's founder Matt Salsamendi Tweeted him in support and was even in his chat.

Ice is extremely toxic and racist and this is known very well by everyone familiar with the streaming scene and Mixer's founder is a fan? I don't know where the idea that Mixer was a cleaner platform but this is a very bad indication of a direction they might go. "Banned on Twitch for being a trash person? Come to Mixer!"

This probably deserves it's own thread tbh because Ice is actually one of the worst people around. The things he has said and done to people of colour I wouldn't even feel comfortable repeating and the dude gets an open arms welcome to Mixer?

BTW his stream had 3k viewers last night on Mixer while he chilled with his Cx crew while they spammed racist tts donations in the background. It was a shitshow.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
He's at 370k subs right now. Sure it's free for now but think of all the new acounts that have been created already...

Alright I tuned in for the hype but at the end of the day it's still Fortnite. I'm not gonna last long.

Casker

Oct 25, 2017
What happens to all the people who subbed for many months or even years? They wasted their money?
Sorry if this was answered, or if this isn't even how Twitch subs work. ;)
I just know I've seen people sub for months at a time.
You have to manually renew a twitch prime sub every month but the regular sub auto-renews. I don't believe you can sub for multiple months at a time.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
I admit I don't follow streamers... I never realized these streamers streamed daily. Ninja's schedule is 8.5 hours every day. It's not easy entertaining a crowd, much harder to do it daily for that many hours.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
He's at 370k subs right now. Sure it's free for now but think of all the new acounts that have been created already...

Alright I tuned in for the hype but at the end of the day it's still Fortnite. I'm not gonna last long.
And those are MS accounts and their focus on having their account so you can use their services anywhere means that this move has probably already paid off much like Minecraft.