• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
It's just another website. You don't have to buy any new hardware, just click on a different tab on your browser.

I don't even use cloud saves bro.

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
Good on him getting paid big bucks while he still can. His subs should get refunds tho if they bought a year/months in advance, Twitch will probably omegalul at them tho being the trash company they are

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Social Influencers - The New Battleground for the next Console Generation

I'm too old to really care. Thank goodness!

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course he was paid to move to Mixer, Twitch forces streamer to stream exclusively on Twitch, MS offered a big sum and he moved to Mixer.
Ninja started as an Halo player, MS knows this and they are trying to push the game and Mixer with Ninja.

There is no read between the lines, he signed a contract and that's it.
No shit. But why are we pretending this is a "win" and a "big deal" when it's just a blatant stunt to promote Halo and Mixer and he'll be back to streaming on Fortnite or whatever on Twitch sooner than later. Plus you said I was wrong when I said he wasn't going to Mixer full time and it seems like you're backtracking lmao.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
How much was he making on Twitch?? Like everyone else, trying to guess what it took to get him on Mixer exclusively.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is definitely a financial security move for Ninja. With his sub count dropping and when his sponsorships dry up you gotta have a back up plan.

Sucks for all his subs though. lol
Twitch's ridiculously lax moderation sucks ass and Mixer is much better about that stuff
Until it gets bigger and isnt any better than Twitch lol...

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These days Twitch stars thrive and die fast. Probably a good idea to grab that cash while you can.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Holy shit.

I'm fairly sure there is some Halo Infinite marketing money in this too. He'll be THE Halo player when Halo Infinite launches.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure he can make stupid moves at this point, because he doesn't actually have to work for another day in his life if he doesn't want to. And that was likely before the MS money.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Ninja just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about streaming culture (I'm an expert), but subscribers and stream monsters are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on Youtube where you can become successful by being an outrage artist. If you screw someone over on Twitch, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is by shouting out the latest subscriber.

What this means is the 12 year old public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to view Ninja streams, nor will they purchase any of Ninja's merchandise. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Ninja has alienated the entire 8-12 year olds market with this move.
Ninja, publicly apologize and cancel exclusivity for Mixer or you can kiss your prepubescent fanbase goodbye.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox has it on their front page. You can "sub to him for free" for a limited time

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Think he was set for life even before this deal.

Oh for sure. I'm just saying this may be a good lead-in to eventually stepping out of the spotlight if Mixer's audience doesn't end up being big enough for him to keep going with the insane schedule he's had to keep himself on with Twitch. Like Michael Jordan leaving the Bulls and winding his career down with the Wizards. :p

Oct 26, 2017
No shit. But why are we pretending this is a "win" and a "big deal" when it's just a blatent stunt to promote Halo and Mixer and he'll be back to streaming on Fortnite or whatever on Twitch sooner than later.

So now you call marketing blatant stunt? I guess all the publishers paying all streamers to promote their games during launch week are also a blatant stunt and you know more than them on how to promote their content i guess.

Ninja litterally said: "I'll go on Mixer full time" and Rod confirmed that he is leaving Twitch, what do you want more? LMAO
Pretty sure Ninja and Rod are more reliable than "insert random era users"
Backtracking? You either have reading comprehension problems or your are trolling

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
I think this won't move the needle enough for Mixer to be seen as a full blown competitor to Twitch not even Ninja in the prime of his popularity could do that alone, more people probably view streams for a single game on twitch than people view streams for the entirety of Mixer

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
We won't find out until the future I guess. Microsoft has already invested tons in Mixer, and it's a great platform, better than Twitch I would say. But Twitch just has such a grip on the industry, that moves like this are necessary. Microsoft needs more content/streamers on Mixer.

So could it end up being a waste of money? Yea. Right now is it a good investment? I'd say with the money in Microsoft's bank it's a move they should definitely make.
Idk man I mean throwing money left right and center has to pay off in let's say r&d and ip's and tech, but influencers is a slipperly slope imo.

It sets a weird precedent. We probably should have seen this coming since they implemented Mixer.

The war of buying influencers.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Can you imagine how dope it is for Mixer streamers to have grown their audiences tenfold in an hour?

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
The amount of money they had to have paid him to walk away from his audience has to be astronomical. Because it's WAY beyond just Twitch subs and ads.

Dude advertises uber-eats in-stream and sells branded gear at Walmart. So if he's going to be streaming to 1/10th the Audience, Mixer would have to pay for the lost endorsements too.

Pretty risky.

Although, I suppose he knows if it implodes he can market his grand return to Twitch in 12-24 months or whatever so eh.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At some point my hope is that, though it will never happen, twitch sees people leave and decides that you can broadcast in all spots. Their unique to them idea that you can't stream at the same time elsewhere is a killer. Especially for someone who has youtuber subs.

IXI FalcoN

Oct 27, 2017
Ninja was a HUGE Halo player. I'd imagine this also opens them up to marketing with him and the new Halo years down the road. Pretty big deal for MS aside from just his streaming.

First thing I thought of. Ninja made his bones on Halo, it seems natural for MS to recruit him like this. He's going to be a big face for Halo Infinite, guaranteed.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
farside-hopeful-parents.gif

And those salaries are probably less than 1/10th what Ninja got
That cartoon there

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017
Halo Infinite marketing has already started...

Damn..MS ain't playing around..goin all out for next gen.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
No shit. But why are we pretending this is a "win" and a "big deal" when it's just a blatant stunt to promote Halo and Mixer and he'll be back to streaming on Fortnite or whatever on Twitch sooner than later. Plus you said I was wrong when I said he wasn't going to Mixer full time and it seems like you're backtracking lmao.

They would have to pay so much money to do this that it likely isn't just a short time period. People taking a vacation on twitch for a week usually dumpster their sub count, let alone leaving for months.

It's a big deal because he has a ton of reach and it shows a genuine commitment to actually compete with twitch directly, which has otherwise been pretty unopposed as the streamers engrained there can't try youtube or mixer.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Ninja just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about streaming culture (I'm an expert), but subscribers and stream monsters are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on Youtube where you can become successful by being an outrage artist. If you screw someone over on Twitch, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is by shouting out the latest subscriber.

What this means is the 12 year old public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to view Ninja streams, nor will they purchase any of Ninja's merchandise. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Ninja has alienated the entire 8-12 year olds market with this move.
Ninja, publicly apologize and cancel exclusivity for Mixer or you can kiss your prepubescent fanbase goodbye.
Lol.

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark
i don't understand. It's the same situation with Mixr now, why isn't that anti consumer too?
Twitch Partnership agreements really aren't anticonsumer as users aren't required to Partner with Twitch to stream on it.
'Twitch exclusivity is anti consumer, Microsoft buying out a streamer to stream on their platform exclusively is ok though'

???

It forces every agent involed to become more competitive, which in the long run, is good for the consumers.
This move was a necesity by MS.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
So rumor floating around he was paid 55cents per follower on twitch can anyone do the math on how much that'd be? No idea how many followers this dude has

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Does Mixer even have good emotes or allow plugins for emotes?

Honestly, Twitch is massive in a big part due to plugins that allow emotes like PepeHands and monkaS.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I swear this whole thing makes me feel like an old fogey; the thought of paying someone to watch them play videogames is bizarre.
Well, we pay people to write about them, produce content about it, is not that different imo. Be it for informative or entertainment purposes, is just a new way of revenue, and props to those who can cashing in.