• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Sure, but then we take turns. And I know the guy because, you know, we're friends.

I don't really care about see anyone playing a game on the internet, to be honest. If it's a celebrity or not. That's why I'm just inrested in the appeal of it. I mean I assume most of the audience is a gamer, in this case. Why not use the time to play a game yourself? For example.

I don't watch individual streamers, but usually they are either very good at the game or have fun personalities. I imagine a lot of kids can't play the games themselves (maybe the game is M-rated, maybe they don't have a console, etc.) so they watch it streamed by someone they like.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
Pointless Metric at this point. In a Month or two would be the time to make a thread like this. Microsoft is handing out free subscriptions right now.

The old Gamepass free sub argument huh? I figured we'd see it eventually.

Who knew getting free access to entertainment would rile so many people up, but here we are, lol.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
The fact that this YouTube channel has 1 million subscribers means nothing!! they are free!!!

If that was a brand new youtube account it would be impressive. This is akin to an already very successful youtube account, which previously charged to subscribe, starting up a new one and hitting the subscriber amount when it's free. It's impressive but it requires context.

Jan 20, 2019
And streamers het money on Mixer with embers. I'd say Ninja earned around 6000 dollars with his stream yesterday. Kinda depends on the share he gets off those embers.

Yes, a twitch gains money true donations and bits.

That was nothing to do with what the user was saying, free subscribers =/= from payed subscribers which has nothing to do with subscribers on youtube. Complety different things.

Ninja is making a lot of money and will continue to do soo, that's for sure.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
Possibly the biggest difference (and their headlining feature) is their FTL tech which means next to no delay. It's actually possible to have a real time conversation with your chat as a streamer.

Other than that they have MixPlay (which most streamers use as a form of Soundboards), Co-stream (for everyone), and HypeZone (an AI based channel that shows other streams that are close to winning in select games).

There also testing a feature which allows you to have overlays from Xbox, which is pretty cool.

I hope they release a native app for PS4 soon. Maybe PS5?
What is the delay?
I was watching my son off my phone stream on his Xbox and there was a good few seconds delay.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Yes, a twitch gains money true donations and bits.

That was nothing to do with what the user was saying, free subscribers =/= from payed subscribers which has nothing to do with subscribers on youtube. Complety different things.

Ninja is making a lot of money and will continue to do soo, that's for sure.

What I was saying, was the amount of subscribers on YouTube and the amount of followers on Twitch and Mixer do determine the money a streamer can make. With a bigger reach, you'll likely have more viewers and thus more donations.

Jan 20, 2019
What I was saying, was the amount of subscribers on YouTube and the amount of followers on Twitch and Mixer do determine the money a streamer can make. With a bigger reach, you'll likely have more viewers and thus more donations.

Yes, that is true.

It is a shame that not everybody can get the free subs, that whould have help a lot of smaler streamers.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
What is the delay?
I was watching my son off my phone stream on his Xbox and there was a good few seconds delay.
Depends on your connection. On the stream make sure you hit the cog in the bottom right and make sure "Enable FTL/Low Latency" is checked. The streamer also has to be streaming using the right protocols. I'm pretty sure streams straight from Xbox have FTL automatically enabled.

DaeJim

Founder LifeisXbox.eu
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Someone mentioned that you earn embers by watching streams, so it could be those? If it's not, it's impressive people are willing to spend that kind of money.

The Ninja Emoji or animations can only be bought by money, you earn "sparks" by watching streamers not embers.
It is honestly insane how many people are buying it, Ninja calls them out every once in a while I guess that's why so many people do it.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The Ninja Emoji or animations can only be bought by money, you earn "sparks" by watching streamers not embers.
It is honestly insane how many people are buying it, Ninja calls them out every once in a while I guess that's why so many people do it.

Most of them are sending the 50 Embers emotes. Those are 91 cents each.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
I still can't think of any other industry where fans react to someone getting a new $multimillion contract by throwing donations at them.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
And streamers get money on Mixer with embers. I'd say Ninja earned around 6000 dollars with his stream yesterday. Kinda depends on the share he gets off those embers.
Iirc you get money from sparks as well. As long as you have a certain number of viewers/subscribers that is high enough.

Thread: It is a joy to read all this downplaying and imagine the mental trauma that the respective users must be experiencing because something they hate is successful.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Iirc you get money from sparks as well. As long as you have a certain number of viewers/subscribers that is high enough.

Thread: It is a joy to read all this downplaying and imagine the mental trauma that the respective users must be experiencing because something they hate is successful.
They literally just changed this today. Now Sparks just multiply the effectiveness of Embers, no longer giving a straight cash bonus. And still are useful for Mixplay and interactive stuff like that. I think they had people abusing the system - it was probably one of the better and more consistent ways to get paid because it rewarded big and dedicated communities rather than high value donations. But.. that was never gonna last forever.

Anyway, I am thinking of this Ninja move as signs of better things to come. The platform is being invested in and renewed attention leads to renewed focus on improving things. I'm interested to see how the platform grows. I REALLY REALLY hope that the positivity and feel of the community is maintained as they bring people over. Natural risk of growing, but I think Mixer could do very, very well as a smaller platform option that features better and tighter communities. That might end up being just as lucrative as sheer size.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Exactly. Not sure why not promote other streamers too. Unless they just want to Mixer to be a Ninja streaming channel and nothing else.
Must be a bit frustrating small streamers watching this. Ninja was going to get massive subs and views regardless.
Ninja himself promotes other streamers. Remember raids are a thing

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's impressive, but the 2 months are free subs... You could also take off quite a few subs of Twich if Prime didn't give you a free sub I reckon.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Ninja himself promotes other streamers. Remember raids are a thing
So Mixer is depending on Ninja raids to promote smaller streamers?
Instead of allowing those who join to give their free sub to whoever they want?
1438df2e5e96789ba2ee33fee5a7470c--new-memes-big-noses.jpg

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

I'm fairly sure the smaller streamers are quite content this week. Especially the Fortnite ones. They've all seen an uptick in viewership and followers. And with Ninja hosting a couple of their channels they went from 1k viewers to 30k viewers.

JetBazooka

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Yeah I don't even like Ninja, and I still hit the free subscribe button because why not?

As someone a couple of years older than you... I had to work a bit to get into Twitch and understand its appeal.

For the most part, what I personally get out of it is learning from players that are better at me in competitive games. As a format for that sort of thing I think it's generally better than a YouTube tips and tricks type thing, and it's something I can have on a screen as background noise while working.

I only do a little esports watching, mostly Rocket League as I don't find FPS to translate all that well as the basic format is jumping from one player POV to another at the whims of the casters who are trying to convey how the round is playing out. As much as I love playing R6 Siege, it's too much effort to watch and make sense of.

I don't spend that much time watching guys like Shroud whose main draw is just the pure aiming talent and reflexes (granted he has amazing game sense when he wants to as well, but most of the time is playing intentionally stupid to meme on people so it's not as engaging as it could be for me).

DrDisRespect I find legitimately funny in small to moderate doses, so I'll click on him from time to time.

As far as 'real' sports viewing, I've been watching less NFL and Premier League/Champion's League stuff the past couple of years, and have spent more time watching instructional/technique stuff on YouTube for sports I play recreationally.

The social sempai streamer notice me stuff I don't really get into. I can kind of see the appeal for a certain sort of person who always liked watching their friends play video games. A decent streamer will be legitimately more interesting to watch playing a game than your average friend.

But yeah, fundamentally I want to play, not watch. But I can play better occasionally watching.
Same thing with me. I watch streamers who are better then me or who I can learn something from to improve my skills at that game. I will also watch a streamer play a early version of a game I do not have access to because its not released yet. I will watch some competitive stuff as thats kind of like real life sports or world series of poker. On a rare occasion I might watch some of the (Games done fast) stuff. They play old games for charity and speed run them and give a lot of information about strats and history of the game. Its basically history channel of gaming for me with nostalgia. I might watch maybe an hour or 2 a week of streams.

I don't do the paying for subs, paying for cheers, giving donations to the streamers, etc. The chat box is pointless as well. Nothing of value is gained using it and you are invisible like you would be on a youtube nintendo e3 conference chat box.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I might be old at 35 years, but can someone please explain to me what is so appealing aboutwatching some random dude playing a game? I mean, gaming itself is a waste of time but an extremely fun waste of time in which I actually participate myself, but watching someone else play? Did I miss a train here? Sure, it's fun to watch a recap of some dude raging over a From software game, but we're talking about live streaming here, right?
don't you watch sports?
football or so?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but then we take turns. And I know the guy because, you know, we're friends.

I don't really care about see anyone playing a game on the internet, to be honest. If it's a celebrity or not. That's why I'm just inrested in the appeal of it. I mean I assume most of the audience is a gamer, in this case. Why not use the time to play a game yourself? For example.

Im with you on this. Its an unappealing proposition, to watch a game i like being played by someone else, and enjoy what the game has to offer through them, but i guess there's plenty of people that adore it, fair enough. I dont think its an age thing, as i would have felt the same 10 years ago in my early twenties.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty obvious what will happen, the vast majority of his straight up paid subscribers from twitch will absolutely follow him, then maybe 1/3 of the twitch prime subs will convert to real money on mixer, and all these free subs will fall off.

It's not being pessimistic it's just realistic, I'd say he ends up with 10k~ subs month 3 (based on him having 15-20k right now on twitch)

But, he will have brought tons of attention and probably good will towards the platform

Edit: regardless of it being free, it's pretty damn insane that his name alone got over ONE MILLION people to click a button in a few days, that's real power

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I think it's pretty obvious what will happen, the vast majority of his straight up paid subscribers from twitch will absolutely follow him, then maybe 1/3 of the twitch prime subs will convert to real money on mixer, and all these free subs will fall off.

It's not being pessimistic it's just realistic, I'd say he ends up with 10k~ subs month 3 (based on him having 15-20k right now on twitch)

But, he will have brought tons of attention and probably good will towards the platform

Oh, for sure. Fully agree here.

If 1% of these 1 million subscribers keep their subscription, he'd still be one of the biggest streamers in the world. And that's on a small platform like Mixer. But more importantly, he's brought Mixer to the attention of more than a million people. And who knows what they've got planned.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Not sure why people thought he wouldn't keep his base. Nobody's staying on Twitch just because it's a more successful platform. They're staying because their favorite streamer streams there. If said streamer migrates to a less successful platform then of course they'll follow because they mostly care about watching that streamer. They're not gonna stay on Twitch if they don't care about any other streamer just because that platform has better features in general.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not sure why people thought he wouldn't keep his base. Nobody's staying on Twitch just because it's a more successful platform. They're staying because their favorite streamer streams there. If said streamer migrates to a less successful platform then of course they'll follow because they mostly care about watching that streamer. They're not gonna stay on Twitch if they don't care about any other streamer just because that platform has better features in general.
None of what you said is a fact.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I'm just saying...as many people on this forum who knows about Twitch and didn't know anything about Mixer (within this very thread)...the downplay of the 1mil subs is funny. It's all marketing of the platform and getting awareness. Sure, it won't reach everyone but it will reach some...no different than a commercial. Those 1mil people may not all stay but there are some who will, and may be new ones from Twitch or from just hearing the news from somewhere on the web.

Not all accomplishments need to do exactly what people on this board thinks it needs to do. There's something called a Halo effect.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I'm just saying...as many people on this forum who knows about Twitch and didn't know anything about Mixer (within this very thread)...the downplay of the 1mil subs is funny. It's all marketing of the platform and getting awareness. Sure, it won't reach everyone but it will reach some...no different than a commercial. Those 1mil people may not all stay but there are some who will, and may be new ones from Twitch or from just hearing the news from somewhere on the web.

Not all accomplishments need to do exactly what people on this board thinks it needs to do. There's something called a Halo effect.

It is pretty funny. The fact that his name garners that much attention is ridiculous on his own. A week ago nobody even cared about Mixer. Nobody else is getting 1 million subs even if they were free. The marketing Ninja will bring to the Xbox platform is what MS is depending on and considering the amount of name recognition he has they'll certainly get that, especially as Halo Infinite gets closer to release.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I might be old at 35 years, but can someone please explain to me what is so appealing aboutwatching some random dude playing a game? I mean, gaming itself is a waste of time but an extremely fun waste of time in which I actually participate myself, but watching someone else play? Did I miss a train here? Sure, it's fun to watch a recap of some dude raging over a From software game, but we're talking about live streaming here, right?

People watch GOLF.

People watch people paint.

People watch people cook.

People watch people fish (this one amazes me the most)

Without watching a sport ever - you would never learn what a high level of that sport looks like - I can coach a kid how to play basketball, but if they don't watch some real games, they'll never see certain things done.

Im older than you, I don't feel old, some nights I prefer watching a stream over mostly anything on TV (which is mostly dreck)

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Free or not, that's a hell of a lot of people. If they can retain just a smidgen of those people as paying customers, that will still match his Twitch paid subscriber numbers prior to his switch.

Obviously it is still far from his 50m Twitch follower count though. I don't know how Mixer works with respect to followers and paid subscribers. Do we know how many are following him on Mixer but not as paid subscribers (currently being offered for free)?

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Free or not, that's a hell of a lot of people. If they can retain just a smidgen of those people as paying customers, that will still match his Twitch paid subscriber numbers prior to his switch.

Obviously it is still far from his 50m Twitch follower count though. I don't know how Mixer works with respect to followers and paid subscribers. Do we know how many are following him on Mixer but not as paid subscribers (currently being offered for free)?
He has 816k followers and over 1m subs. So around 200k people didn't even care to follow him, they just grabbed the free sub

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He has 816k followers and over 1m subs. So around 200k people didn't even care to follow him, they just grabbed the free sub

Oh that makes sense. I subbed (because it took one click from the promotional banner on the homepage), but didn't actually follow him. Curious to see how things pan out over time.

If Microsoft is serious about promoting and growing Mixer, I still think this move was a pertinent one, even if it doesn't pan out for them. Go big or go home.

Oct 27, 2017

The free sub is there to mitigate the outrage which would happen if Ninja just left his subs hanging. They paid for the sub, and MS is allowing to subscribe to Ninja on a different platform for free. It is nothing like an actually free sub like you would get with the Prime account.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
He hasn't felt this good in a long time?

Wasn't he already making bank and doing what he loved?

He had plateaued on Twitch and had gone from 250k subs to 17k which is less than many streamers on the platform. He wasn't the biggest fish anymore on Twitch but the move to Mixer has made him a big fish again. I think that's what where the statement is coming from.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Very interested to see what's' the next shoe to drop on this.
I can't imagine that MS was like "ok, just throw $50m at Ninja and let's call it a day." I'm guessing we'll see a handful of other high-profile deals in the coming months.

Gizmo

Oct 27, 2017
San Diego
Some people are missing the point...

The important thing isn't the sub numbers but the fact they increased the traffic to the site. Before this deal, no one around here was talking about Mixer. Now daily there are multiple threads about it. Compound that with the money being spent in his stream, this is impressive.

Palookah

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thank goodness the detectives on ERA are here to remind me every other day that NINJA, the gaming master of all time, is popular. I mean, I see his merch in popular retail stores like 5 and below and I've seen him on mainstream television now as well, but I really wasn't sure if he was popular or not until today. This clearly means Mixer will be taking over twitch and MS will be handing out mega deals to all the popular streamers. Twitch's days are numbered. I'm sure this news will please all the people who seem to have a hard on for mixer and it's exclusivity with popular all time best gamer ever, ninja.

Really though. I have a tough time taking this as a win for anybody but ninja. I just don't believe the people who play Fortnite and follow the guy on the front page are all that loyal or committed to mixer as a platform and I don't think it signals anything but MS throwing around their wad of money. Good to see capitalism in effect I guess?

And thus new copypasta is born.