• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
Just Ninja.

Would be neat if you could sub to anyone though, nice incentive to explore the site and discover new streamers.

That is lame.
That is basically saying that all other streamers won't be treated the same.

Why not make the free subs open to every streamer. Even if 95% would go to Ninja anyway.

That's actually a pretty good idea, they should have done something like a free sub to Ninja and one free sub to any other channel...it would get people browsing other channels on Mixer and might give the smaller streamers a bit of a chance to boost their viewers.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
That's actually a pretty good idea, they should have done something like a free sub to Ninja and one free sub to any other channel...it would get people browsing other channels on Mixer and might give the smaller streamers a bit of a chance to boost their viewers.
Exactly. Not sure why not promote other streamers too. Unless they just want to Mixer to be a Ninja streaming channel and nothing else.
Must be a bit frustrating small streamers watching this. Ninja was going to get massive subs and views regardless.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like sports. Gaming took what i didn't like about sports and now I'm out of the loop in both sports and videogames. I need I new hobby.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I might be old at 35 years, but can someone please explain to me what is so appealing aboutwatching some random dude playing a game? I mean, gaming itself is a waste of time but an extremely fun waste of time in which I actually participate myself, but watching someone else play? Did I miss a train here? Sure, it's fun to watch a recap of some dude raging over a From software game, but we're talking about live streaming here, right?

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I might be old at 35 years, but can someone please explain to me what is so appealing aboutwatching some random dude playing a game? I mean, gaming itself is a waste of time but an extremely fun waste of time in which I actually participate myself, but watching someone else play? Did I miss a train here? Sure, it's fun to watch a recap of some dude raging over a From software game, but we're talking about live streaming here, right?
I guess it's the same thing why reality tv became huge.

DaeJim

Founder LifeisXbox.eu
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
More importantly, I constantly see users spending Embers on the chat. Even the most expensive one (€35)

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Always downplaying.

1 million subs in 5 days is really good regardless.

I'm never watching Ninja, but I clicked the huger banner on the start page of Mixer that offered a free Ninja sub without even leaving the page. These numbers have to be seen in context of that.

Didn't Microsoft lay off lots of people on the Mixer team recently? I'm confused if they are serious about Mixer or not.

They laid of their content production teams. Now, instead of going for original productions, they're trying their hand at buying out big guns.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Didn't Microsoft lay off lots of people on the Mixer team recently? I'm confused if they are serious about Mixer or not.

They laid off their content creators.

Then they contracted Ninja.

In other words their content creators weren't building subs so they spent the money on securing a popular streamer.

It seems to be working, at least way better than their exclusive content was.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
What exactly is Mixer? What does it do different from twitch?
Possibly the biggest difference (and their headlining feature) is their FTL tech which means next to no delay. It's actually possible to have a real time conversation with your chat as a streamer.

Other than that they have MixPlay (which most streamers use as a form of Soundboards), Co-stream (for everyone), and HypeZone (an AI based channel that shows other streams that are close to winning in select games).

There also testing a feature which allows you to have overlays from Xbox, which is pretty cool.

I hope they release a native app for PS4 soon. Maybe PS5?

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
everyone burying the lede here - that the subscriptions are free - is just doing free marketing for Microsoft and Ninja

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
They should also not be overplaying it either.
So can we all agree on the parameters?

If you are trying to ignore the 1 mil subs as irrelevant you are downplaying too much because usually to get half that much interest on streaming channels you need to run a huge tournament.

If you are suggesting Ninja will be able to convert most of those subs into active users of Mixer regardless of their sub status is too early to determine that and thus overplaying the stat.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Reality TV is a lot more dynamic than watching a static dude sitting at a static desk staring at his static computer screen.
Aren't (most of) the biggest names pro gamers in their respective games though?
I know that Panda.tv wanted to give Team Secret (Dota 2) 1.25 million USD for 250h streaming hours.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A million? Streaming is really big I guess and Ninja seems to have a lot of fans that willingly make an account on a different platform, be it free or not. He will be a great marketing tool for gamepass in the future, I guess.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Reality TV is a lot more dynamic than watching a static dude sitting at a static desk staring at his static computer screen.
You are not watching a static dude sitting at a static desk, though. The way you break this down is intentionally false, I assume. You see the game being played in the same screen and you hear the streamer talking to you or with the people he plays with and apparently this is entertainment for many people out there. I'm older than you and also cannot understand the appeal but this doesn't mean I break what is shown down to something that isn't true.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017

Have you ever been to a friend's place, watching him play a game and talking about it? Streaming is pretty much the same thing, when the audience is small. When it gets as big as Ninja, is basically watching a celebrity doing things, and people love celebrities (hell, there are entire magazines that only talk about what celebrities do).

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Have you ever been to a friend's place, watching him play a game and talking about it? Streaming is pretty much the same thing, when the audience is small. When it gets as big as Ninja, is basically watching a celebrity doing things, and people love celebrities (hell, there are entire magazines that only talk about what celebrities do).

Sure, but then we take turns. And I know the guy because, you know, we're friends.

I don't really care about see anyone playing a game on the internet, to be honest. If it's a celebrity or not. That's why I'm just inrested in the appeal of it. I mean I assume most of the audience is a gamer, in this case. Why not use the time to play a game yourself? For example.

Deleted member 10193

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but then we take turns. And I know the guy because, you know, we're friends.

I don't really care about see anyone playing a game on the internet, to be honest. If it's a celebrity or not. That's why I'm just inrested in the appeal of it. I mean I assume most of the audience is a gamer, in this case. Why not use the time to play a game yourself? For example.
I don't get the appeal of people watching reality tv but people watch it regardless.

I don't want to play a game, I want to chill and watch my favourite GTARP streamer plan and execute a jailbreak like the 14 hour stream last night, I want to watch my favourite retro streamer play games I did as a kid and participate in the interactive quiz they do at the start of the stream, I want to watch my favourite youtuber who streams during his breaks from editing videos.

I like the passive nature of it. I can put a stream on and do other things.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I don't get the appeal of people watching reality tv but people watch it regardless.

You don't? I don't like reality TV either, but I sure understand the appeal a lot more. It's not that complicated. People enjoy watching other people's arguing or having secret romances for example.

I don't want to play a game, I want to chill and watch my favourite GTARP streamer plan and execute a jailbreak like the 14 hour stream last night, I want to watch my favourite retro streamer play games I did as a kid and participate in the interactive quiz they do at the start of the stream, I want to watch my favourite youtuber who streams during his breaks from editing videos.

Sounds reasonable.

I like the passive nature of it. I can put a stream on and do other things.

So then you're not actually watching? It's more of a background thing then.

Deleted member 10193

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes its a background thing but most times I sit or lie in bed and watch instead of watching regular TV.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait for those investable 'Ninja subs drop to 75k' after free 1 month subscriptions run out' articles.

Donthizz

Oct 26, 2017
To this to work MS needs to bring in few more big streamers over from twitch. They will probably ask for more money.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
People who are dismissing this because it's free are completely missing the point.

These people still had to log into Mixer and activate the free sub. Microsoft just had one million people potentially use Mixer for the first time.
You're conflating a dismissal with a conflation of ideas. If another streamer on mixer also just reached 1 million subs but those were normally paid, what you're painting is a picture where their accomplishment and Ninja's are identical, despite a $6 million difference.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Wait for those investable 'Ninja subs drop to 75k' after free 1 month subscriptions run out' articles.
That'd put him almost double the current number 1 on Twitch and 5x more than what he had on Twitch. Why people thinking something like a 99% drop is crazy are kinda funny, anything other would be crazy impressive.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That'd put him almost double the current number 1 on Twitch and 5x more than what he had on Twitch. Why people thinking something like a 99% drop is crazy are kinda funny, anything other would be crazy impressive.
I mean, I used that number because I don't follow what he did have, or whatever. But my rough point will be, it'll drop to below his twitch numbers after this free month runs out.

Deleted member 47092

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Find it baffling that people have such reasoned insights but Microsoft wouldn't have thought of the same thing 🤔

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have the people who don't see this as impressive ever been on Mixer? Because if you had, you'd have seen just how paulty the viewer numbers are on any given day. Basically, there weren't a million people just clicking a banner and getting a free sub. Most of these people had to join the service in the first place, which isn't something people generally do just to get a free sub to something they have no interest in.

This is impressive as hell, free or not, and even when the eventual drop in Ninja subs hits, Microsoft has still managed to get more people to sign up to this service than were using it in total before hand and many will stick around. Ninja is already showing he was worth the money they paid him.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Even free subs, that's crazy good numbers because it's 1mil people subbed and watching Ninja on Mixer and not on Twitch. Ninja will do a Gears 5 stream for sure and MS will get him on all their big and small IPs get get awareness.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I never really got what the big deal is about this guy. He plays games and tons of people watch it? I assume he has some funny and entertaining talks throughout or do people just really like to constantly watch someone game? I never really understood that anyway.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why do people say that people created 1 Million accounts? You just had to have a Microsoft account which many people already have for Office, Xbox or Windows services (like Outlook.com). Still a brutal boost, but looking at the current Mixer environment...that is a lot more than any other channel and games have at all. I don't think Mixer will get the needed push to be in the minds of people with that - they would need all the current big streamers and also make up for a lot of services which people use in chats.

I never really got what the big deal is about this guy. He plays games and tons of people watch it? I assume he has some funny and entertaining talks throughout or do people just really like to constantly watch someone game? I never really understood that anyway.

Kids love him and he is funny. You dont need more reasons. He also markted himself like a champ as soon as he noticed what happens. Before that he was just a normal raging streamer.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I used that number because I don't follow what he did have, or whatever. But my rough point will be, it'll drop to below his twitch numbers after this free month runs out.
Oh, I know, but that sort of drop should be expected. I don't think people actually know what a realistic hold is when people have to pay, but they all start at about 97% lower than what he currently has and even that's unrealistic. All the "Ninja loses 99% of his subscribers" articles will be fun for the reactions I guess.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
when ninja left twitch he had less then 20k subs, so this number is utterly meaningless and only acts as free advertising for him. mixer are giving people free subs to use on him. we'll only see a legit number for him after the free subs run out.

isaaccs

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
The fact that this YouTube channel has 1 million subscribers means nothing!! they are free!!!

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I don't even like Ninja, and I still hit the free subscribe button because why not?

As someone a couple of years older than you... I had to work a bit to get into Twitch and understand its appeal.

For the most part, what I personally get out of it is learning from players that are better at me in competitive games. As a format for that sort of thing I think it's generally better than a YouTube tips and tricks type thing, and it's something I can have on a screen as background noise while working.

I only do a little esports watching, mostly Rocket League as I don't find FPS to translate all that well as the basic format is jumping from one player POV to another at the whims of the casters who are trying to convey how the round is playing out. As much as I love playing R6 Siege, it's too much effort to watch and make sense of.

I don't spend that much time watching guys like Shroud whose main draw is just the pure aiming talent and reflexes (granted he has amazing game sense when he wants to as well, but most of the time is playing intentionally stupid to meme on people so it's not as engaging as it could be for me).

DrDisRespect I find legitimately funny in small to moderate doses, so I'll click on him from time to time.

As far as 'real' sports viewing, I've been watching less NFL and Premier League/Champion's League stuff the past couple of years, and have spent more time watching instructional/technique stuff on YouTube for sports I play recreationally.

The social sempai streamer notice me stuff I don't really get into. I can kind of see the appeal for a certain sort of person who always liked watching their friends play video games. A decent streamer will be legitimately more interesting to watch playing a game than your average friend.

But yeah, fundamentally I want to play, not watch. But I can play better occasionally watching.