• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow pretty impressive. Smart move by MS. I can see Mixer becoming bigger then twitch

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell do you get for subbing to a streamer? I'm still in the camp that doesn't "get" watching ppl stream games. I can't imagine paying them either.

bdwnfn99

Oct 25, 2017
Good for MS in getting aggressive with the platform. Mixer has some pretty cool features that Twitch/Amazon would be wise to incorporate with their own platform.

If this leads to a new feature arms race between the two platforms, bring it on

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What the hell do you get for subbing to a streamer? I'm still in the camp that doesn't "get" watching ppl stream games. I can't imagine paying them either.

It's like watching sports on TV, sure you can play the game/sport, but you may not be as good as a pro athlete/streamer and it can be exciting seeing two great teams duking it out on a sport or watching someone who's really good at the dominate the competition. For example, I love Overwatch and even though I don't watch him often, it's nice seeing Valkia (one of the top Pharah players) go to town and just shred teams in high level comp. I'm a pretty good player, but I don't have the time to invest and get THAT good.

On occasion I'd watch a stream if they're doing something that I probably couldn't do myself. I don't see myself ever paying for a sub, I only really use the "Free" one from Twitch Prime.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
So in 3 months people have to pay to see a nerd play games, nahh I barely want to pay a monthly fee to play. Much less paying to see other playing. Sorry is just me.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
If they really wanted to get content creators over to Mixer they'd offer one free sub when you sign up for Mixer, and tie it to a phone number to prevent abuse.

I'm sure a ton of smaller streamers or fresh streamers would hop over to Mixer.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
If they really wanted to get content creators over to Mixer they'd offer one free sub when you sign up for Mixer, and tie it to a phone number to prevent abuse.

I'm sure a ton of smaller streamers or fresh streamers would hop over to Mixer.

They could just tie it to an XBL/Game Pass subscription.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Not sure if I get the wording correctly, but it seems you might only get 1 free month, but you have 2 months to claim it. At least it mentions 1 month sub until September somewhere.

And yes his sub count will definetly fall by 90%+, but dude will still earn some nice extra millions from this month. And since sub counts aren't public we will likely never know unless mixer is already getting tracked by some site that watches for every sub message

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Number is soft as hell, subs are free atm.

Retention number is far more interesting to see once free sub window expires.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Over a million People created an account on Mixer, and will get notifications anytime Ninja streams...including Gears 5, for the next few months. And you think MS isn't pleased with this?

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The downplaying and massive salt here is really sad, but not surprising considering who is posting it. This is pretty crazy news and only going to get bigger as Ninja returns to his Halo roots for Infinite.

It's naive to assume that Halo is going to be anywhere close to the streaming darling that Fortnite is. It certainly won't hurt for Halo marketing though.

Ninja tried streaming other games before and it caused a huge hit to his viewer count.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Considering that the subscriptions are free for the first month (I think?), I'm not really surprised. I'm more interested in seeing what happens over time and how much that stays consistent/declines.
While this is true I still think it might be time to stop the downplaying. In less than a week a million people has actively choosen to make sure they don't miss him play. That's kinda big even if it's free. And even if he's losing 75% of all followers next month he would still have as many as his peak level on Twitch.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I wonder if they made the sub free as a way of hiding the numbers, outside of it being a promotion.

Hide numbers? This is good promotion and hook to get people checkout Mixer at different levels, as non-sub and then hook into Ninja as free sub for a month. Even when number is really soft and there will be drop this also has potential for some decent retention into the Mixer ecosystem.

While this is true I still think it might be time to stop the downplaying.

Since when stating fact about number being soft is downplaying? It's soft even if it's really nice and big number. Once people have to pony up own cash there will be drop. That retention number will be far more interesting as it will give better data about Mixer as ecosystem and how Ninja can do there when compared to Twitch.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Will Twitch counter by offering PewDiePie a $100million deal to leave Youtube and stream Minecraft exclusively on Twitch for 8 hours a day? The streaming platform wars are gonna be good.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
It's naive to assume that Halo is going to be anywhere close to the streaming darling that Fortnite is. It certainly won't hurt for Halo marketing though.

Ninja tried streaming other games before and it caused a huge hit to his viewer count.
Well ya say this but I can tell you that no one was watching Fortnite before the Battle Royale mode (real shame since I thought Save the World was actually a bit of fun).

What I'm trying 'ta say is, you'll never know! Infinite might break a few records!

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Will Twitch counter by offering PewDiePie a $100million deal to leave Youtube and stream Minecraft exclusively on Twitch for 8 hours a day? The streaming platform wars are gonna be good.
He streams exclusively somewhere else I believe (DLive I think it's called). Funnily he is still a Twitch partner despite that. Ninja's partnership was ended instantly.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's great and all but I really do hope this is some form of a Trojan horse into more people getting into Mixer.

Mixer is great and runs streams way better than Twitch overall.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It already looks like MS is getting their money's worth. I honestly didn't know what the fuck Mixer is until Ninja got bought by them. 1m subs regardless of it being free the first two months is a pretty incredible move on their part.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Realistically that's not going to happen. He'll probably have around the same subscriber count as he did on Twitch, so around 10-15k or so. Potentially less seeing how you cannot use Amazon Prime for free subscriptions on Mixer.
I didn't even think of that. That's a fucking smart move by MS.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Even if they're free subs it's impressive to get a million people to click your stream. It go down, though.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
1,000,000 is a crazy number.

Sidenote though - Isn't everyone who registered the free sub an "active sub" at this moment since this has only been going on for a week?

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
But I thought Ninja was irrelevant now and nobody watches Mixer???

lol Seriously though, Good for him, this is great to see.

Oct 27, 2017
Thank goodness the detectives on ERA are here to remind me every other day that NINJA, the gaming master of all time, is popular. I mean, I see his merch in popular retail stores like 5 and below and I've seen him on mainstream television now as well, but I really wasn't sure if he was popular or not until today. This clearly means Mixer will be taking over twitch and MS will be handing out mega deals to all the popular streamers. Twitch's days are numbered. I'm sure this news will please all the people who seem to have a hard on for mixer and it's exclusivity with popular all time best gamer ever, ninja.

Really though. I have a tough time taking this as a win for anybody but ninja. I just don't believe the people who play Fortnite and follow the guy on the front page are all that loyal or committed to mixer as a platform and I don't think it signals anything but MS throwing around their wad of money. Good to see capitalism in effect I guess?

-IZHAN-

Jul 7, 2019
Hmm
I will see the result of next month since they are giving out free subs this month !!

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Since when this site has so many Ninja fans? lol

The threads about him used to go bad.

Liyfda

Oct 27, 2017
The subs are free sure, but that's a million people roughly Ninja got to download a new app and probably link a Microsoft account or create a Mixer account. Folks are lazy so I think it's a pretty big deal

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This was definitely a cheap win for Microsoft, but unless they have a second act planned to take advantage of this mixer boost, we know how this ends.

Ninja is probably making too much to call him the loser in all of this, but he definitely won't be the streamer he was once this surge is over, in terms of actual viewership numbers. Maybe it will be good for his brand though.

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
People who are dismissing this because it's free are completely missing the point.

These people still had to log into Mixer and activate the free sub. Microsoft just had one million people potentially use Mixer for the first time.

Exactly, manipulating his fans into signing up/using their unpopular service was the goal.

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
People downplaying this by saying the subs are free are missing the entire point. MS didn't sign him because they want revenue from subscriptions, they want to promote the damn service which he is doing really well.

You cut that out right now! Making sense of an endorsement deal, how dare you! The narrative must always be Mixer/Microsoft will fail so they should not try. Period.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Just Ninja.

Would be neat if you could sub to anyone though, nice incentive to explore the site and discover new streamers.
That is lame.
That is basically saying that all other streamers won't be treated the same.

Why not make the free subs open to every streamer. Even if 95% would go to Ninja anyway.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the equivalent of making an account and hitting follow on Twitch since he gets free subs. -_-

He had 14 million followers on Twitch, that he got 1 million on Mixer, this isn't surprising.