• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
FicklePastelBassethound-size_restricted.gif

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Why is it surprising? His followers are slowly going to migrate over to watch his content.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's cause they gave out Mixer fidget spinners a couple of years ago, just playing the long game.

Yes I still have mine
EBUuULdUYAEh0Yc

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
They're giving out subscriptions to him for free so no shit, just wait for the second month

Seedy87

Jan 4, 2018
Considering that the subscriptions are free for the first month (I think?), I'm not really surprised. I'm more interested in seeing what happens over time and how much that stays consistent/declines.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Do we know if MS are actually paying him for the free subs? That'd be millions in his pocket for 1 month if so.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Thinking about it, he basically has no other mega streamers over there that serve as any kind of competition for him at the moment. I mean he literally gets a huge ass banner at the top of the page when you go to Mixer. MS is gonna get their moneys worth.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
What would be really interesting is how many of those subs are from new accounts.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Yeah, not to rain on any parades, but free subs doesn't really mean anything. I grabbed one just for the fun of it and I'll probably never visit Mixer again.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Always downplaying.

1 million subs in 5 days is really good regardless.
Regardless of what? The part where they're free makes it easier to sub, not harder. It takes more effort to

1) Go to mixer.com in a browser
or
2) Create an account

The more impressive, actually relevant numbers in a vacuum would be how many new accounts were created in the wake of this

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, not to rain on any parades, but free subs doesn't really mean anything. I grabbed one just for the fun of it and I'll probably never visit Mixer again.
To be fair, I believe your case is much more rare than people that take the time to visit the page and sub because they actually want to watch the content. I don't and sure haven't bothered.

There's a lot of shit to watch that's freely available, doesn't mean every free content maker finds a million followers subscribers/followers. It's still impressive.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
People downplaying this by saying the subs are free are missing the entire point. MS didn't sign him because they want revenue from subscriptions, they want to promote the damn service which he is doing really well.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Dont watch ninja or use mixer, but definitely impressive. Anyone who says otherwise is probably just salty of his success. How would you feel if a million of your fans followed you to a completely different platform?

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Idk if its surprising when he's a huge streamer and gaming news has been constantly talking about his move to mixer . It'd be surprising if he didn't get a bunch of followers at this point. Still awesome for him and could help Microsoft a lot if they get him to stream Gears and Halo infinite

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
People thinking the subs drop off next month don't get how this works.
The Subs are the monthly pay option, they'll drop off, unless auto resub is on, as next month is also free.
What made you think I was salty about it? I was just pointing it out as I saw people post money gifs despite those 1 million subs having no monetary value.
Not necessarily, Twitch honor Prime Trial subs for example. We don't know if MS will with this though. My guess is they will, but the split probably won't be in Ninja's favor until it's paid subs, otherwises he's getting paid minimum like 2.5m this month on top of whatever he's guaranteed, but he almost definitely has a better split than 50/50.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
You do log into Mixer and it says you can have a free subscription to Ninja on a pop up on the screen ...

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
1m subs, free or not, is damn good for Mixer.

This move was about getting eyes on Mixer, and it's clearly working.