• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft exclusivity.
that's a barrier that's been bypassed on multiple occasions. I think the existence of the sigma version just makes it a way easier solution for them, as opposed to going for the versions that generally people feel are better (NG2 vs. 2 sigma is controversial as a lot of people feel there were positive gameplay refinements)
Sigma 2 on the Vita restored the gore so it is possible it will have gore here too.
Wow - I never realized this

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn guys, are the Sigma games that bad?
I think Sigma 2 is the better version, honestly. The original has such bad encounter design--it's an off screen spam fest.

The down side is that Sigma 2 was censored. However, the Vita port was uncensored. I believe this will be uncensored as well, so that negative may be gone.

Sigma/Black, a lot of people rave about the first game, but IMO it's honestly the weakest outside of vanilla 3. It's not nearly as fun to go back to, but it was great before the improved mechanics in the sequel.

I believe the hate honestly stems from fanboyism.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The Itagaki fan worship really blinds people to how much better NGS2 is than Vanilla. It cuts out some of the worst parts of that game.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Finally will get to play this

what's everyone complaining about sigma over the original ?
There's sections of the game where enemy placements are deleted compared to the original. Not rebalanced or reduced, just straight up deleted. Same thing with some puzzles.

Sigma brings in additional characters that either suck, break up the flow of the game in weird ways, or both.

Sigma 2 reduces enemy counts, making encounters less exciting, though the game is less broken since the original had a shit ton of projectile spam and offscreen spam on all difficulties. Graphics and gore like blood and dismemberment is toned down or eliminated. Dismemberment sounds superficial, but original NG2 was balanced around it since you could dismember a spammy enemy to give you breathing room to fight something more pressing, but they'd still be alive and could fuck you over if you spent time using dismemberment moves to minimize momentary threats versus considering all of your options.

But really, this matters most if you played the originals. You'd definitely notice the deleted enemies and puzzles given that the environments aren't retouched and you'll run into empty rooms plenty of times that are clearly designed for encounters that no longer exist, but the games aren't bad overall.

Well, maybe NG3, but the problems with that game and how they were barely patched together with the Razor's Edge revision have entire game reviews to detail that fuckup.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
My POV with these would be that if you have an Xbox One/Series then just get Black/NG2 there (it's already 4k/60 on One X and Series X) but if you don't then you're fine here. You should get it.

My opinion is similar as to Silent Hill HD Collection. 'Bad' Ninja Gaiden (or Silent Hill) is better no Ninja Gaiden. And we need to show that we want more!

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I recall one and two have great improvements on Xbox through backwards compatibility, probably a better alternative if you already own the games and want to replay them. I'm fact, I think the first one is or was on Gamepass.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
When a publisher/developer makes a new version of their game, it's really hard for them to go back and release the old one. Kinda admitting defeat :D also probably a pain to rework old code.

I thought Microsoft published the originals making it impossible for the vanilla games to be released on other platforms?
OR something along those lines lol.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
i'm curious to see how these games will run on XSX and PS5 through backwards compatibility

J75

Sep 29, 2018
My opinion is similar as to Silent Hill HD Collection. 'Bad' Ninja Gaiden (or Silent Hill) is better no Ninja Gaiden. And we need to show that we want more!
Same thoughts here. Before this release on PC, the only option for a 3D Ninja Gaiden-like game on the platform was stuff like Ninja Blade which I don't even outright hate the game, it's kinda a guilty pleasure of mine, but I'll take any Sigma version any day over that game.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Sigma sucks, here's hoping we can get double the framerate on Ninja Gaiden Black with backwards compatibility.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A shame that this might be someone's first experience with the series. The worst version of the games hands down.

The sigma series is terrible and oh man Ninja gaiden three nothing can make that game good.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The down side is that Sigma 2 was censored.

They removed blood for reasons that aren't censorship as much as thinking they had a solution for a broader audience.

Let's please not misuse this term for stupid reasons.

Having said that, i REALLY want 4k on ps5. it's amazing to me that discrete ps5 / xsx logos aren't appearing on games STILL being announced.
i REALLY want 120fps as well, they could manage that on sigma 1 at least.

Can't wait to buy the trilogy so i can only play the first two and never touch 3RE :p

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
so Ninja Gaiden is the spiritual successor to Dark Souls or Nioh?...which series is closest in style to NG?

exofrenon

Mar 30, 2019
Super excited for this, one of my most anticipated releases ever. NG:B is in my top 5 GOAT. NG2 was fun, but 3 was like... it never happened for me.

I recently replayed vanilla 2 again on Game Pass after 10 years before it was taken off on Monday. Combat was excellent, still one of the best in a character action game, but the rest of the game was mediocre at best. It was unfinished and it really shows in the level design, the encounters, lack of extra content and general un-polishness.

Did Sigma 2 fix any of that? The lack of gore was disappointing for sure, but how about the rest of the game? With a little bit of polish it could have been really great overall.

What about Razor's Edge? I know that 3 was fundamentally broken (level design, story, bosses, pretty much everything), but did they at least fix the combat? Does it still feel laggy as if there is 1 second delay in the input? or that terrible auto-targeting it had?

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Day one on Steam, glad the other platforms were just hidden for the Direct and they didn't make use wait even more to announce those.

Same thoughts here. Before this release on PC, the only option for a 3D Ninja Gaiden-like game on the platform was stuff like Ninja Blade which I don't even outright hate the game, it's kinda a guilty pleasure of mine, but I'll take any Sigma version any day over that game.

Eh, Sekiro, Nioh, Bayonetta, DMC etc.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
There's sections of the game where enemy placements are deleted compared to the original. Not rebalanced or reduced, just straight up deleted. Same thing with some puzzles.

Sigma brings in additional characters that either suck, break up the flow of the game in weird ways, or both.

Sigma 2 reduces enemy counts, making encounters less exciting, though the game is less broken since the original had a shit ton of projectile spam and offscreen spam on all difficulties. Graphics and gore like blood and dismemberment is toned down or eliminated. Dismemberment sounds superficial, but original NG2 was balanced around it since you could dismember a spammy enemy to give you breathing room to fight something more pressing, but they'd still be alive and could fuck you over if you spent time using dismemberment moves to minimize momentary threats versus considering all of your options.

But really, this matters most if you played the originals. You'd definitely notice the deleted enemies and puzzles given that the environments aren't retouched and you'll run into empty rooms plenty of times that are clearly designed for encounters that no longer exist, but the games aren't bad overall.

Well, maybe NG3, but the problems with that game and how they were barely patched together with the Razor's Edge revision have entire game reviews to detail that fuckup.

Thanks for the info.

Only Ninja Gaiden games I've played were the originals on NES but none of the 3D / reboot ones - still excited lol

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Sigma haters can sig ma toes.

Small (yes, small) changes aside, it's the same game if not better in some ways. If you want Ninja Gaiden experience, don't listen to "Sigma?? UGH..." crowd. The game is still tough as nails, and a great time.

Original still there on Xbox via Backwards Compatibility, right?

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Someone really needs to break down why Sigma was so bad other then "lol reduced enemies" and "lol sigma"
Sigma 2:
-blood replaced by purple mist
-reduced number of enemies to a point some levels feel empty
-new characters which should be a plus but their movelists are half baked so after 5 mins you've seen everything they have to offer
-some sections were entirely removed instead of fixed because people complained about them
-enemy addition that were pretty bad

All in all it does nothing to improve vanilla version and removes from it. Thatss why it's considered a lesser version

Sigma 1 is less offensive as it is closer to Black but again with useless addition like the Rachel sections. She plays awful. Dual katana is nice though