• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
Because who would? lol. There really isn't anything in the game prior to that moment that prepares you for that. I guess regular enemies lunge at you in a attempt to blow you up once you've cut off a limb but there's a pretty big disconnect between that and the armadillo blowing up. lol
The robot-xenomorphs (damn this game has some crazy enemy types) do although I certainly didn't recall that my first time against the armadillos. Died>tried to dodge>finally blocked on my third try. Ultimately I think it was just some old fashioned trolling from Itagaki.

Edit: beaten by JustinH

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough lol. I'd argue the looseness and lack of resistance makes them far worse than the 360 sticks. "Crappier" was maybe a bit... unnecessary.
From what I understand, I'm in the minority, but after the short "adjustment" I had to go through when the X1 launched, I far and away prefer the Xbox One's "looser/smoother" sticks to the 360's.

I like to play with a little above-default aiming sensitivity so I can turn faster when I need to, so I tend to make smaller movements with my right stick when aiming. On the 360 pad, since it's tighter it feels like there's a "bump" I need to overcome before I'm actually aiming with the stick (not sure if that makes sense).

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
From what I understand, I'm in the minority, but after the short "adjustment" I had to go through when the X1 launched, I far and away prefer the Xbox One's "looser/smoother" sticks to the 360's.

I like to play with a little above-default aiming sensitivity so I can turn faster when I need to, so I tend to make smaller movements with my right stick when aiming. On the 360 pad, since it's tighter it feels like there's a "bump" I need to overcome before I'm actually aiming with the stick (not sure if that makes sense).

Yeah, that makes sense. There's a dead zone. It's all really down to preference. I'd never suggest someone who prefers the Xbox One thumbsticks is "wrong."

DeadPhoenix86

Banned
Apr 20, 2019
RIGHT. Post patch the game will totally crash at random points. I thought there was more to not updating than just the stairs. Though pre -patch, didn't the game have an avoidable save corrupting bug?

That's why I would say that people can say whatever about Sigma 2 but offscreen projectiles are not the issue in Sigma 2 that they are in NGll.

It definitely runs worse off of the disc. I don't remember the worm fight bug, what is it? Also, Sigma 2 made the right choice in dropping the worm fight as it's a terrible boss fight. I'm good with taking 3 statue fights in place of that one terrible worm fight. Again, people can say whatever about Sigma 2 but IMO the boss battles are way better in Sigma 2 than NGll but the moment to moment stuff is definitely better in NGll.

Actually the Worm boss is really easy to defeat. Bow and arrow is your friend ;) In terms of challenge, Sigma 2 is a huge downgrade. They also butchered the New Game+ Into a chapter challenge, sure its nice to choose any chapter, but i would have liked to carry over my health, essence and nimpo to a new playthrough.

Ninja gaiden has always been about the challenge, and sigma is lacking that. It may have prettier graphics, but the Original NG2 is a far better game.

And what i was talking about, that the Regular worms sometimes glitch through the ground. This is still a issue on the X1X version as well.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Actually the Worm boss is really easy to defeat. Bow and arrow is your friend ;) In terms of challenge, Sigma 2 is a huge downgrade. They also butchered the New Game+ Into a chapter challenge, sure its nice to choose any chapter, but i would have liked to carry over my health, essence and nimpo to a new playthrough.

Ninja gaiden has always been about the challenge, and sigma is lacking that. It may have prettier graphics, but the Original NG2 is a far better game.

And what i was talking about, that the Regular worms sometimes glitch through the ground. This is still a issue on the X1X version as well.

Sure but the repeated point I've been trying to make is that the worm boss isn't a good boss. It's easily the worse boss across NGll & Sigma 2.

Difficulty isn't necessarily my problem with the bosses in NGll but bosses like the worm and armadillo I just don't think are particularly well designed.

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly what I hated about it though. What made NGB great was honing your tactics against each and every enemy type. It was the anti-spam anti-cheese game at high level. No more FS spam or anything like that, fight stuff toe to toe or you die.

The way you survive in NG2 is exactly what you said - exploit I-Frames. The entire game basically boils down to just using a couple of different attack strings over and over because there's so much spam going on. First 2 levels, you just loop dodge, wind run, shuriken throw, Y over and over until essence drops and you UT/OT everything else with an on landing activation instead of the air Y.

Chapter 3 onward you have some upgraded Talons and then it's just spam dodge, windrun, ->YYYY combo since it always removes a limb on fiends since you can OT them with the last Y press. On Ninjas it's just the FS->ID combo over and over. And wolves get the Lunar charge 360 UT because their AI is dumb as hell and they just stand there letting you do it.

It's half the "every fight has projectile spam" problem and half the fault of the OT system, as most enemies have huge amounts of health to encourage you to OT them. Which means there's only 2-3 combos worth using on each weapon in the game because they remove limbs more quickly.

You've got this awesome fighting system full of depth completely undermined by spammy level design and a system which effectively punishes you for exploring the full range of moves a weapon has. The Village return chapter is one of my least favourite gaming experiences ever on MN. It's just an endless FS->ID and Blades Ninpo spamfest from beginning to end.
Well sure but it's not like NGB couldn't be instant UT'd to death either.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'd never suggest someone who prefers the Xbox One thumbsticks is "wrong."
Sorry if I came across that way. I didn't mean to imply that you said that.
kU4fYRt.jpg

Back on topic... anyone else hoard these, lol?
I have 15 of the life of the gods single pearls too. I'm only on Chapter 9 of my Scythe-only run (I just want a new achievement). I get really tempted to just pop them all at the same time too (I have one of the Ninpo increase ones too). I guess I'm still upset at getting to the last boss in Warrior last year and having no healing items left when I got to his final form (again). I'm only playing Acolyte now, though and I'm only in Chapter 9 so far.

Oct 25, 2017
I basically hoard them until I'm about to die then crack them out for the full health heal. I've been kind of slipping on Warrior though (chapters 8/9 are bitches) so I don't have any left. :(

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I basically hoard them until I'm about to die then crack them out for the full health heal.
Yeah, same lol. Although if I ever do end up needing to use one 9times/10 I'll just reload and try again. I'm pretty sure I used one on this playthrough, but I'm really worried about that

congregation fight that I can't remember if it's actually part of the final boss or leading up to the final boss.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Yo it's really this pretty on Xbox One X? I have an Xbox One S and I havent gotten around to trying it, but I might have to get an X if it looks that crazy lol. NG2 is one of my favorites.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing the same NG vs DMC arguments feels so nostalgic. I wish we had a new Ninja Gaiden this year so the comparisons with DMC5 would be everywhere again. It would be great.

Lol I know right? I've always loved both series so I'm sitting here reading these arguments like I'm back in 2006 and it's great. It would be so amazing if there was a new true NG to compete with DMC5 though.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Staircase battle is still epic.

xKSibdN.gif

You can still get a shit ton of enemies to show up. I'm curious if all the patch did was make the dead body parts disappear. It's been so long since I played vanilla I can't recall anything.

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the same NG vs DMC arguments feels so nostalgic. I wish we had a new Ninja Gaiden this year so the comparisons with DMC5 would be everywhere again. It would be great.
Lol I know right? I've always loved both series so I'm sitting here reading these arguments like I'm back in 2006 and it's great. It would be so amazing if there was a new true NG to compete with DMC5 though.
Lol I swear I had to check the year on the posts when I saw people posting DMC gifs and trotting out "skill ceiling" and "pre canned animations" as arguments again. I have stepped back 10 years in time.

Isn't it kind of amazing that this 10 year old game is still a contender against the latest dmc?

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
On Chapter 9 now - the projectile spam is just as annoying as I remember but man it makes the OTs on those guys feel good.

Was there ever a consensus on what the best weapons were? Staff and Scythe seem most useful for me.

Just finished it.. man such an amazing game and still is, the gameplay is superb.

I want NG3:RE next but they probably won't bother to add it to the BC games.

I think RE was in one of the initial BC promo images - at least that is what I've heard on this forum, I haven't seen it myself.

I would also love to see it, it's not on the level of this game or black but i still had fun with it. Judging by the fact that Black and 2 are on BC though, I think it's more of a when, not an if.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of off topic, but I played through the first 3 chapters of this and then went back to Sekiro and beat 3 mini bosses. NG really does up your reflex game when it's atrophied.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Well sure but it's not like NGB couldn't be instant UT'd to death either.
Yeah, but it feels to me like NG2 that's basically what you have to do. It's not so much a requirement in the predecessor.

kU4fYRt.jpg

I have 15 of the life of the gods single pearls too. I'm only on Chapter 9 of my Scythe-only run (I just want a new achievement). I get really tempted to just pop them all at the same time too (I have one of the Ninpo increase ones too). I guess I'm still upset at getting to the last boss in Warrior last year and having no healing items left when I got to his final form (again). I'm only playing Acolyte now, though and I'm only in Chapter 9 so far.

I did that on my MN playthrough. I hoarded them for the full heals but never actually used them for the heals stupidly. I got to Dagra Dai and had like 5 of them. Probably didn't make my life any easier.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Was there ever a consensus on what the best weapons were? Staff and Scythe seem most useful for me.
I don't know about best, but I like using the Dragon Sword and the Talons the most. With the Falcon Talons (or whatever they're called) it's just so easy to pop off limbs of ninjas and vengelf so you can OT them and get them out of the way quickly.

I just got done with my scythe-only run, and while I found some times when I think it made the encounter easier (like bosses since it seemed to stagger them more than I remember seeing them get staggered by other weapons), I don't think I like using it most of the time. It's so slow to start up a swing, you know? That UT for it, though... pretty useful.

borf... I should probably go to sleep lol

I did that on my MN playthrough. I hoarded them for the full heals but never actually used them for the heals stupidly. I got to Dagra Dai and had like 5 of them. Probably didn't make my life any easier.

Geez, I'm just scrub on Acolyte lol. I had 7 going into the Archfiend fight along with 18 single pearls, and used those instead of the healing items and ended up using 2 sets of the single pearls and 3 of the sets. I think I'd probably need all of those when I get there on Warrior lol. I just started a Warriror run after I did my scythe-only acolyte and I've started squirreling them away again (well as much as I can up to Chapter 3).

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
Was this game actually good and better than you would expect? I just remember it being way bad and not just because it came off of the incredible original.

Oct 27, 2017
kU4fYRt.jpg

I thought they didn't give you a full heal.
I seem to remember that was the case in original Ninja Gaiden but they removed it for Ninja Gaiden Black and 2. I could be very mistaken.

Razors4edge

Nov 12, 2017
Beat it today. Awesome overall, but Dagra dai and next fight are pretty bad. Wish I could go straight to Master Ninja. Misson Mode instead then.
I love how the Fails delimb rate on those purple/ and flying fiends are so frikin great with >Y. Seems like a weak weapon, but really not.

Ninja Gaiden 4 on next gen.. I still dream it can be great if they take a shot. Hopefully new engine with lessons learned from Nioh.
It needs stances with different attack animations on all, the depth in combat could be insane.

Touha

Oct 27, 2017
Man....I am so tempted to get a X1X for this game!

I want Nioh 2 and then a new Ninja Gaiden as a PS5 launch title....please Team Ninja! :)

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Late game question for those that have beaten it on Xbox One

Did the hit box feel off on the
archfiend boss fight (phase one)
? So many arrows into the head or the orb just did not register despite aiming at the right things at the right time. Pretty infuriating and I never remembered having this much trouble - trying to figure out if I'm remembering wrong or there is an actual issue.

All in all, game Is as good as I remember and I still love it, but man that boss gauntlet at the end and the projectile spam can be REALLY bad

Razors4edge

Nov 12, 2017
Yes, felt the same about the head. But in the end of the fight it got better, if I'm not wrong, I think it was because I did UT (two charges) with the bow, not ET (one charge).

Oct 25, 2017
Late game question for those that have beaten it on Xbox One

Did the hit box feel off on the
archfiend boss fight (phase one)
? So many arrows into the head or the orb just did not register despite aiming at the right things at the right time. Pretty infuriating and I never remembered having this much trouble - trying to figure out if I'm remembering wrong or there is an actual issue.

All in all, game Is as good as I remember and I still love it, but man that boss gauntlet at the end and the projectile spam can be REALLY bad
I usually just use the auto aim with 2 charges on the bow. It pretty much always hit. I just beat it today too. Game is definitely front loaded but still pretty great. I tried the first level on mentor and that spider guy blasted my ass with all his explosive shuriken minions. jesus

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
I usually just use the auto aim with 2 charges on the bow. It pretty much always hit. I just beat it today too. Game is definitely front loaded but still pretty great. I tried the first level on mentor and that spider guy blasted my ass with all his explosive shuriken minions. jesus

Interesting - I was having a ton of trouble so I looked it up and found a few people saying not to aim manually, I wonder what I was doing wrong because I tried using auto aim right after that and literally did not hit him once. Had to switch back to manual aim.

Yes, felt the same about the head. But in the end of the fight it got better, if I'm not wrong, I think it was because I did UT (two charges) with the bow, not ET (one charge).

Are you supposed to do one over the other? Most of my shots were UT. It seemed like the head hit box was just a small part of his forehead.

By the end of this fight I had no healing items for the final boss. Still beat him but it was a lot more intense with one ninpo charge and no healing at all.

Razors4edge

Nov 12, 2017
I don't know, just got more consistent in the end, when I used UT. If ET works also, then I guess it's small/bad hitbox. Yeah same happen'd to me. Bad Boss phase fight imo (And I loove the game).

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'd agree with you that NG Sigma is worse but Sigma 2 is waaaaaaaaay better than vanilla NG2. There are a lot of just horrible boring sections and bosses in vanilla. And I say this as someone who has beaten NG2 Vanilla on master difficulty. The rift between Itagaki and Tecmo really shows with Ninja Gaiden 2 vanilla as its not nearly as tuned to perfection as the first game Itakagi put out. The game just being balls hard doesn't make it better designed. So get out of here with this "ninja gaiden for babies" shit.
You're wrong

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I finished it yesterday. The drop in quality from chap 11 onwards is quite something. Ugly areas, boss repeats, spammy enemies (seriously the whole horde of Black Spider ninjas with explosive shuriken spamming from chapter 11 can get FUCKED)... it's fairly obvious they ran out of time or resources. The first ten chapters are superb at least.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for some quick advice. I've never played this game before, should I be starting it on Acolyte or Warrior? Which one is the "normal" difficulty?

I just beat NG:Black on normal for the first time and enjoyed that fwiw.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I've never tried just auto aiming the bow. I've always just manual-aimed besides when you're like... fighting llying dragons. Maybe I've been making that fight harder for myself?
Looking for some quick advice. I've never played this game before, should I be starting it on Acolyte or Warrior? Which one is the "normal" difficulty?

I just beat NG:Black on normal for the first time and enjoyed that fwiw.
Acolyte is "easy" and Warrior is "normal." I think either way could probably be a fine place to start to be honest. Even though you've beaten NG:B on normal, NGII is something you're supposed to play differently (as in, more aggressively) so I don't know if it would be a bad idea to get used to it in an "easy" playthrough first. Then again, it might be better to get used to the normal difficulty first, rather than being accustomed to "easy."

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Yeah, if you've beaten a Ninja Gaiden game on normal, you won't have an issue there either.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I'd agree with you that NG Sigma is worse but Sigma 2 is waaaaaaaaay better than vanilla NG2. There are a lot of just horrible boring sections and bosses in vanilla. And I say this as someone who has beaten NG2 Vanilla on master difficulty. The rift between Itagaki and Tecmo really shows with Ninja Gaiden 2 vanilla as its not nearly as tuned to perfection as the first game Itakagi put out. The game just being balls hard doesn't make it better designed. So get out of here with this "ninja gaiden for babies" shit.

I've may have already responded to this comment but I saw it come up again and I MIGHT be with you. I've been side tracked lately so I haven't had a ton of time to play this (especially with MK11 having just come out) and I've loved what I've played of it as I did back in the day but I definitely remember liking certain things about Sigma 2 more.

There have been a few people posting in this thread that they didn't like this game as much as NGB because of stuff like offscreen enemy projectile spam, the combat becoming less about experimenting with moves and more centered around stringing Obliteration Technique attacks, etc. I would be genuinely curious to know what those individuals would think of Sigma 2 I say this because Sigma 2 definitely makes some tweaks to that sort of stuff (less projectile spam, enemies are more durable leaving them open to more experimentation, etc) along with much of the other stuff I previously mentioned in this thread. Obviously, the changes violence suck. Also the removal of the Trials and much lower frame rate are huge black eyes on Sigma 2.

I hope to play through this and Sigma 2 on multiple difficulties very soon (maybe I'll even make a thread on it about playing chapter by chapter of each version on every difficulty?)

DeadPhoenix86

Banned
Apr 20, 2019
I recently replayed Sigma 2, but is it just me, or is the game just easier compared NG2. I understand they removed most of the spamming projectiles. But they removed so much from the game, that it is now a cakewalk. Sad that they never released an updated version on the X360. Maybe one day we will get a proper Remaster.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I recently replayed Sigma 2, but is it just me, or is the game just easier compared NG2. I understand they removed most of the spamming projectiles. But they removed so much from the game, that it is now a cakewalk. Sad that they never released an updated version on the X360. Maybe one day we will get a proper Remaster.

On lower and middle difficulties Sigma 2 is definitely easier than NG2 but I think the difficulty is comparable to NG2 on some of the higher difficulties (though again, NG2 is harder) but stuff like projectile spam is a big reason for that.

DeadPhoenix86

Banned
Apr 20, 2019
On lower and middle difficulties Sigma 2 is definitely easier than NG2 but I think the difficulty is comparable to NG2 on some of the higher difficulties (though again, NG2 is harder) but stuff like projectile spam is a big reason for that.

Sigma 2 is simple a downgrade compared to the original. Master Ninja is no joke on NG2, but on Sigma 2 its much more manageable. While explosive enemies can be annoying, they're not as bad as people may think. There's many ways to deal with them.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Sigma 2 is simple a downgrade compared to the original. Master Ninja is no joke on NG2, but on Sigma 2 its much more manageable. While explosive enemies can be annoying, they're not as bad as people may think. There's many ways to deal with them.

Yes, they're very manageable but for me they're still annoying despite being manageable. Also, calling Sigma 2 a simple downgrade is a oversimplification of what that port actually is. It's very flawed but they did some cool and smart stuff with that version.

Defunkled

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like the Dagra Dai fight is way harder than either of the Archfiend's forms. Is that a common sentiment or is it just me?

SGJin

Feb 23, 2018
I feel like the Dagra Dai fight is way harder than either of the Archfiend's forms. Is that a common sentiment or is it just me?

Nah, you are not the only one. I still cant find a reliable combo / pattern to take advantage of on him. I always burn a few potions on him due to all the lightning and chip damage.

The Archfiend is pretty easy in comparison.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, you are not the only one. I still cant find a reliable combo / pattern to take advantage of on him. I always burn a few potions on him due to all the lightning and chip damage.

The Archfiend is pretty easy in comparison.
I was only playing on Acolyte when I did my scythe-only run, but I was able to beat him easier than I ever did before using just the scythe>Jump>X>Y (when you do that blade flip thingy). Seemed to do a lot of damage and I think it might've even staggered him. That was on Acolyte though, so that might not be the case on Normal and up.