• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DeadPhoenix86

Banned
Apr 20, 2019
Do we know the enemy count in pre vs post staircase patch? In these comparisons the game on 360 still goes into slomo and the enemy count looks the same on 1X.

I do remember when playing post patch there was a decrease in enemies but now completely forgot what the full enemy count looked like in prepatch to grasp the differences.

The Xbox 360 version was using the latest patch available, the game was also installed on a HDD. I've read it runs even worse, if you play the game off the disc.
So if they're using the same code as the X360 version, it should also be applied to the X1X version. The worm fights, is still bugged in the X1X version as well. But these were only fixed in the PS3 version, and that version also dropped the worm boss segment.

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the same NG vs DMC arguments feels so nostalgic. I wish we had a new Ninja Gaiden this year so the comparisons with DMC5 would be everywhere again. It would be great.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Never played these games but I heard Ninja Gaiden was the original Dark Souls in terms of difficulty.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate when people say get good but....

NGB is a better game, more polished etc. But NG2 is the definitive action combat experience, especially if you can reach the skill level of this guy. It's like a totally different game.

That vid is weird to reference to have same skills/being great at the game due to it being New Game+ and unlocking all moves already. You don't even have Izuna Drop or many combos at the start
Never played these games but I heard Ninja Gaiden was the original Dark Souls in terms of difficulty.
Ninja Gaiden has always been harder. I still have trouble with Mentor and Master Ninja even after finishing the game 50+ times on those difficulty

Oct 25, 2017
I personally think they're way way way WAY harder than Dark Souls.

It feels like Dark Souls is balanced to be tough but fair, the game is putting up a fight and resisting your progress, but it still wants you to succeed.

Ninja Gaiden doesn't give a fuck.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I personally think they're way way way WAY harder than Dark Souls.

It feels like Dark Souls is balanced to be tough but fair, the game is putting up a fight and resisting your progress, but it still wants you to succeed.

Ninja Gaiden doesn't give a fuck.
I'd say the environment in Dark Souls is the real obstacle where NG the enemies are.

iconoclast

Dec 15, 2017
arguments are pointless here because time has proven lord itagaki 100% correct
Itagaki: I'd like to show everybody some of the new stuff that we've been working on in the near future. The only problem with that is that when the other developers see what we're doing, they're going to lose all of their motivation to create any game in the same genre, because there's no way they can beat it."

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
I can't get over how satisfying the combat still is all these years later. There's such impact and physicality here that makes every strike feel brutal.

Also, it's such a small thing, but I love Ryu's run animation - he looks incredibly agile and light on his feet, but without sacrificing a sense of weight. Really well done.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
This.
When we have people seeing at a gif of an automated move in NG and say: "Sorry DMC fans but NG is better" you know they are clueless about NG and DMC mechanics to begin with. Press one button to execute flashy animations is one thing, combine buttons to execute flashy animations is another thing, but i don't expect people to understand the difference between these two.

I'm pretty sure you will find a lot of DMC players loving NG, the opposite is not that common.
You might be right on that, though I personally know a lot of DMC players who've never touched a Ninja Gaiden (no Xbox, etc.) whereas the opposite has been rarer from my experience (even if a lot of those voices tend to miss the point with DMC like I discussed).

That point is irrelevant to most people as they'll never reach that ceiling though :P
I disagree with this line of reasoning. DMC rewards you constantly for getting better at it (not just through the scoring system but because mastering things like jump canceling actively makes the fights more manageable), and you'll basically never STOP getting better with how high the skill ceiling is. By comparison, Ninja Gaiden gives me fewer reasons to experiment and step out of my comfort zone. It's all preference in the end anyway.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden are both great series and we are blessed to have both of them to play. They clearly prioritize different things and that's what makes them great. Our differences are what enrich us. If you want to re-litigate DMC vs NG for the thousandth time (or 2 vs Sigma 2) feel free to make a(nother) thread about it.

https://twitter.com/iconoclast575/status/1119748209931444224

Recorded a video of the control issue. Like I said before, I'm pretty certain my controller isn't the problem since I use it for PC games and never had any trouble (played RE2, DMC5, & Sekiro this year). I'll probably stick with the 360 until there's a fix for this.
Interesting, I've only had the chance to play Chapter 1 thus far and can't say I noticed but I will be certain to test next time I play. Are there any other known BC games with this issue and have they ever been patched?

Oct 31, 2017
arguments are pointless here because time has proven lord itagaki 100% correct

I'm not sure if it's a persona or if he's always like that but he just doesn't give a fuck and I love it :D

I disagree with this line of reasoning. DMC rewards you constantly for getting better at it (not just through the scoring system but because mastering things like jump canceling actively makes the fights more manageable), and you'll basically never STOP getting better with how high the skill ceiling is. By comparison, Ninja Gaiden gives me fewer reasons to experiment and step out of my comfort zone. It's all preference in the end anyway.

Of course you'll get better the more you play... But you'll never reach that ceiling. Only a few people will.

Last edited:

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Got back from vacation and finally got a chance to play this on my 1X..holy hell it really looks and runs fantastic. I forgot how fun this game is so glad I kept my disc, I never got a chance to actually finish the game either.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil

Recorded a video of the control issue. Like I said before, I'm pretty certain my controller isn't the problem since I use it for PC games and never had any trouble (played RE2, DMC5, & Sekiro this year). I'll probably stick with the 360 until there's a fix for this.
Maybe it's an issue with the elite controller? I am currently on chapter 6 on X and never ever had this issue, using a normal controller. Later I will play with my elite to see if this issue comes up.

iconoclast

Dec 15, 2017
surely all these people talking about ninja gaiden's skill ceiling have gotten over 100 million karma from the survival missions, right?

Oct 31, 2017
So? What does that even mean? It's not like you can quantify something like a skill ceiling with hard numbers.

As a fan of both games, I gotta say that Ninja Gaiden players talking shit about DMC often feels to me like it comes from a place of ignorance regarding DMC's mechanics more than anything. DMC doesn't have the raw intensity and chaos of something like Ninja Gaiden 2, but the skill ceiling is still way higher, and the combat situations are built to take advantage of that.

It means that people thinking NG is better than DMC probably aren't that ignorant regarding DMC's mechanics: they likely know about those and might think they're irrelevant compared to what NG offers at the end of the day or just find NG better. This isn't about ignorance but about preferences ;)

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This game , despite all of it's issues, was still probably my GOTY back in 2008. Odd to think that was more than a decade ago. Happy to see folks giving it a whirl for the first time here. It really is a shame the handful of issues though :( There are a couple stages that are a little bloated that lack enough checkpoints and many of the sub bosses (the ones who aren't the 4 greater fiends) are pretty rough. (the water dragon in the Italy stage , the armadillo , the worm , the dragons ) but oh lordy does the minute to minute combat ever make up for it. There hasn't been an action game since that's captured the wanton visceral carnage present in the original 360 version of this game.

I'd really love to see someone that gives a shit about NGblack/NG2 be put in charge of a new entry over at Team Ninja but sadly these days that team is obsessed with moe blobs and anime tiddy now so even if we did get another NG game it would probably filled with characters that aren't Ryu Hayabusa and we'd be forced to play as them constantly at the worst possible times. Ah well, it was fun while it lasted.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The skill ceiling in DMC is how many fancy combos you can do against high HP enemies you stunlock to death. The skill ceiling in NG is how can I even fuckin survive this challenge they put in front of me.

Last edited:

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if it's a persona or if he's always like that but he just doesn't give a fuck and I love it :D

Itagaki was cocky and he liked to troll. My favorite is still the Tekken side-game burn. But yeah, he really didn't give a shit lol.

"Oh, and come on guys, let's quit trying to hide the prehistoric nature of the main product by tacking on some absurd 'bonus game'. I have been saying this for five years, haven't I? If you have the time to make an action-style 'bonus game', why don't you create an honest-to-god action game and sell it as a standalone product?"​
"Oh, that's right, I forgot something important. You guys did do a 'bonafide' action game, didn't you? What was it called again? Oh yeah, NINA: Death by Degrees."​
I believe he had a very long grudge towards the Tekken team because they made fun of Dead or Alive when he first made it. He actually had respect for Harada though, so it was just trolling.

1UP: What do you think of this Tekken 6 video?​
TI: Is [director, Katsuhiro] Harada on this show?​
1UP: Yes.​
TI: Oh yeah, I see. He is on TV. I haven't seen him in a while. He used to go to the same university with me. Waseda University. I really respect the fact that he's continuing to make something that will really please the fighting game fans. He is a real man.​
LoR62.jpg

Last edited:

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else notice dropped inputs? It happens to me a lot with the left stick specifically. I can't do forward+Y hold attacks consistently, and often times when I'm trying to dash from a block, Ryu will just stand there while I move the stick forward. I don't think there's a problem with my controller since I just used it to play DMC5 and Sekiro without issue. I hope it's something that can be fixed on my end rather than an emulation problem, but as it is I'd rather play on the 360. (I've got a regular Xbone fyi, not an S or X)

Survival missions in Mission Mode load very slowly as well.

I was playing chapter 3 this morning and had issues with it not picking up jump inputs. I use the same controller for every game and have not/do not have issues in any other title.

Oct 27, 2017
Pro Ninja Gaiden 2 tip: If you're tempted to play it on a higher difficulty than Warrior, don't. It sucks. I did it on MN for the achievements back in the day and unlike NGB which gets better as you turn up the difficulty, NG2 just turns into a bad game instead.
Really can't agree with that. The higher difficulties force you to really learn how to play the game by using the move set to navigate around the environment while using iframes to mitigate the massive damage enemies can deal. You gain a much higher level of understanding of the combat mechanics after playing on the higher difficulties.

EDIT: Also disappointing to see that the staircase doesn't slow down as it did on the 360; it helped make it one of the most memorable parts of the game for me even if it was due to absolutely horrific performance. Seriously considering getting an Xbox One for cheap just to make sure I've a console that can play the game for years to come.

Last edited:

Razors4edge

Nov 12, 2017
I also feel some inputs are not recognized 100% of the time. I remember this in Sigma 2 also, I was so sure I dodged, but got hit anyway.. So I do not think it is Xbox one or controller fault.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That vid is weird to reference to have same skills/being great at the game due to it being New Game+ and unlocking all moves already. You don't even have Izuna Drop or many combos at the start

What? I'm talking about his beautiful playstyle on the hardest difficulty and the flow and potential of the game. Not what he has or hasn't unlocked at what part of the game. If you can do an ounce of what he can on that difficulty fair play to you.But to me, it doesn't get much better than that.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
I'm using a regular controller and there are no issues at all.

Having so much fun playing it, and close to my favorite chapter in the game, 11!

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
The skill ceiling in DMC is how many fancy combos you can do against high HP enemies you stunlock to death. The skill ceiling in NG is how can I even fuckin survive this challenge they put in front of me.

I'm not interested in the whole DMC vs. NG debate, but I think that in DMC it might be easier to notice and appreciate high level play, because you can contrast average player runs with highly skilled player runs. In NG, especially on higher difficulties, there's only room for highly skilled players, because others won't be able to make much progress.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil

Maybe it's an issue with the elite controller? I am currently on chapter 6 on X and never ever had this issue, using a normal controller. Later I will play with my elite to see if this issue comes up.

Like I said, I did my tests with the elite controller. I played a good amount and no issues. I'm afraid your controller may be the problem. Here is a quick and dirty video:

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
It means that people thinking NG is better than DMC probably aren't that ignorant regarding DMC's mechanics: they likely know about those and might think they're irrelevant compared to what NG offers at the end of the day or just find NG better. This isn't about ignorance but about preferences ;)
I didn't say people who prefer Ninja Gaiden are ignorant about DMC's mechanics. What I said is that specifically comments like "DAMN, sorry DMC, time to pack up for the KING Ninja Gaiden" over a fucking gif of Ryu playing a canned animation suggest some level of ignorance to me toward what the other series is actually going for. Like I said in my initial post, it feels like those kinds of comments are slagging off DMC as clearly inferior to Ninja Gaiden for not matching that series in certain aspects when in reality playing DMC at its level highest is just as or potentially even more intense than what Ryu goes through. Basically, I don't think you'd be getting on a high horse over your action game of choice if you actually understood how high DMC's ceiling really goes. You don't have to be a fan, but it deserves respect IMO.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
My favorite is still the Tekken side-game burn.

My favorite is the following

DQNT1pmUMAAsfiL.jpg:large

I didn't say people who prefer Ninja Gaiden are ignorant about DMC's mechanics. What I said is that specifically comments like "DAMN, sorry DMC, time to pack up for the KING Ninja Gaiden" over a fucking gif of Ryu playing a canned animation suggest some level of ignorance to me toward what the other series is actually going for. Like I said in my initial post, it feels like those kinds of comments are slagging off DMC as clearly inferior to Ninja Gaiden for not matching that series in certain aspects when in reality playing DMC at its level highest is just as or potentially even more intense than what Ryu goes through. Basically, I don't think you'd be getting on a high horse over your action game of choice if you actually understood how high DMC's ceiling really goes. You don't have to be a fan, but it deserves respect IMO.

Oh, you got played by that hot take then ! :D

I do agree with you in the end, though.

Last edited:

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know how low it actually got pre-patch, but it felt just terrible and I couldn't wait for that particular part to be over when I played it again early last year (had to play without patches because if you updted the game it would crash/freeze very often).

It felt really, really bad.

RIGHT. Post patch the game will totally crash at random points. I thought there was more to not updating than just the stairs. Though pre -patch, didn't the game have an avoidable save corrupting bug?

Even he isn't entirely immune to the offscreen exploding shuriken spam.

All these years later, *that's* the part of the game I remember the most. Really huge blemish on such a good game.

That's why I would say that people can say whatever about Sigma 2 but offscreen projectiles are not the issue in Sigma 2 that they are in NGll.

The Xbox 360 version was using the latest patch available, the game was also installed on a HDD. I've read it runs even worse, if you play the game off the disc.
So if they're using the same code as the X360 version, it should also be applied to the X1X version. The worm fights, is still bugged in the X1X version as well. But these were only fixed in the PS3 version, and that version also dropped the worm boss segment.

It definitely runs worse off of the disc. I don't remember the worm fight bug, what is it? Also, Sigma 2 made the right choice in dropping the worm fight as it's a terrible boss fight. I'm good with taking 3 statue fights in place of that one terrible worm fight. Again, people can say whatever about Sigma 2 but IMO the boss battles are way better in Sigma 2 than NGll but the moment to moment stuff is definitely better in NGll.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
It's wild playing this game with it actually looking like the bullshots that were shown in gaming magazine/website previews all those years ago.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
RIGHT. Post patch the game will totally crash at random points. I thought there was more to not updating than just the stairs. Though pre -patch, didn't the game have an avoidable save corrupting bug?
Oh! I didn't even know about that. I'm pretty sure it did still freeze every now and then even pre-patch though, just like... it was very, very less likely and didn't happen but maybe once or twice in all the time I played the game last year. My favorite thing about this becoming BC so far? Not that it looks and runs fantastically (although I love those bits), but it's that It hasn't crashed on me once (I've always thought this was what they had to work on before getting it tmade BC, and I still think it's why it took so long).

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Oh! I didn't even know about that. I'm pretty sure it did still freeze every now and then even pre-patch though, just like... it was very, very less likely and didn't happen but maybe once or twice in all the time I played the game last year. My favorite thing about this becoming BC so far? Not that it looks and runs fantastically (although I love those bits), but it's that It hasn't crashed on me once (I've always thought this was what they had to work on before getting it tmade BC, and I still think it's why it took so long).

I'm starting to remember more and the issue I'm thinking of... wasn't necessarily corrupted save. I'm SO bad at remembering stage names and I haven't had much time to play lately but I think pre-patch there was a random chance that the game would crash during the aircraft carrier stage's intro cutscene and if it did crash there then it would always crash during that cutscene requiring you to either restart from a previous save (or possibly even earlier than that?) or updating the game. Again, this is all super fuzzy in my memory so I might be totally wrong.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil

That's why I would say that people can say whatever about Sigma 2 but offscreen projectiles are not the issue in Sigma 2 that they are in NGll.

It definitely runs worse off of the disc. I don't remember the worm fight bug, what is it? Also, Sigma 2 made the right choice in dropping the worm fight as it's a terrible boss fight. I'm good with taking 3 statue fights in place of that one terrible worm fight. Again, people can say whatever about Sigma 2 but IMO the boss battles are way better in Sigma 2 than NGll but the moment to moment stuff is definitely better in NGll.
The worm boss fight is trivial. Just stand at a cave entrance and charge the scythe UT, release it when the worm is near. Repeat.
That 3 statues are much worse, the 2 turtles fight are much more entertaining (if you have explosive shurikens).
It's wild playing this game with it actually looking like the bullshots that were shown in gaming magazine/website previews all those years ago.
That was exactly what I thought the first time I saw the game running.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
The worm boss fight is trivial. Just stand at a cave entrance and charge the scythe UT, release it when the worm is near. Repeat.
That 3 statues are much worse, the 2 turtles fight are much more entertaining (if you have explosive shurikens).

I agree with what you say about the worm in that once you learn it it's trivial. Having said that, nothing sounded fun about the fight you just described. It's also a bad fight and I gladly would take all the statue fights over it. lol. The worm is far worse than any of those statue fights. If it were up to me the statue of liberty fight would be the only statue fight in that game but I'm fine with all three of them even if I don't love those fights.

Also, the turtles (I think they're actually armadillos?) are also alright but again, they kind of suck. I will say that the Sigma 2 armadillo fight is neutered but my issue with that fight isn't that there's only one of them but that the one that's there is a total chump AND I just don't think the armadillo is a fun boss no matter which version of the game you're playing.

Basically, I think the worm and armadillo fights are the worst fights in the game no matter which version you're playing. LOL

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I agree with what you say about the worm in that once you learn it it's trivial. Having said that, nothing sounded fun about the fight you just described. It's also a bad fight and I gladly would take all the statue fights over it. lol. The worm is far worse than any of those statue fights. If it were up to me the statue of liberty fight would be the only statue fight in that game but I'm fine with all three of them even if I don't love those fights.

Also, the turtles (I think they're actually armadillos?) are also alright but again, they kind of suck. I will say that the Sigma 2 armadillo fight is neutered but my issue with that fight isn't that there's only one of them but that the one that's there is a total chump AND I just don't think the armadillo is a fun boss no matter which version of the game you're playing.

Basically, I think the worm and armadillo fights are the worst fights in the game no matter which version you're playing. LOL
I actually love the armadillos fight lol. I like the sheer absurdity about them and the need for constant movement. But only with explosive shurikens, without them the fight is a chore.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I actually love the armadillos fight lol. I like the sheer absurdity about them and the need for constant movement. But only with explosive shurikens, without them the fight is a chore.

I don't hate the fight but like you said, they're a chore without the explosive shurikens. That fight always stuck out in my head as I still remember that fight was one of the big sticking points for the EGM editor that reviewed NGll back in the day

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
That was exactly what I thought the first time I saw the game running.
I was thinking it looked quite clean when I stared a fresh playthrough but it really hit me upon reaching Venice in Chapter 5.
I don't hate the fight but like you said, they're a chore without the explosive shurikens. That fight always stuck out in my head as I still remember that fight was one of the big sticking points for the EGM editor that reviewed NGll back in the day
Iirc he didn't know to block after they died to survive the explosion, then again most of us didn't lol. I love how the armadillos are glorified hamsters in wheels powering the airship.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Really can't agree with that. The higher difficulties force you to really learn how to play the game by using the move set to navigate around the environment while using iframes to mitigate the massive damage enemies can deal. You gain a much higher level of understanding of the combat mechanics after playing on the higher difficulties.

EDIT: Also disappointing to see that the staircase doesn't slow down as it did on the 360; it helped make it one of the most memorable parts of the game for me even if it was due to absolutely horrific performance. Seriously considering getting an Xbox One for cheap just to make sure I've a console that can play the game for years to come.
That's exactly what I hated about it though. What made NGB great was honing your tactics against each and every enemy type. It was the anti-spam anti-cheese game at high level. No more FS spam or anything like that, fight stuff toe to toe or you die.

The way you survive in NG2 is exactly what you said - exploit I-Frames. The entire game basically boils down to just using a couple of different attack strings over and over because there's so much spam going on. First 2 levels, you just loop dodge, wind run, shuriken throw, Y over and over until essence drops and you UT/OT everything else with an on landing activation instead of the air Y.

Chapter 3 onward you have some upgraded Talons and then it's just spam dodge, windrun, ->YYYY combo since it always removes a limb on fiends since you can OT them with the last Y press. On Ninjas it's just the FS->ID combo over and over. And wolves get the Lunar charge 360 UT because their AI is dumb as hell and they just stand there letting you do it.

It's half the "every fight has projectile spam" problem and half the fault of the OT system, as most enemies have huge amounts of health to encourage you to OT them. Which means there's only 2-3 combos worth using on each weapon in the game because they remove limbs more quickly.

You've got this awesome fighting system full of depth completely undermined by spammy level design and a system which effectively punishes you for exploring the full range of moves a weapon has. The Village return chapter is one of my least favourite gaming experiences ever on MN. It's just an endless FS->ID and Blades Ninpo spamfest from beginning to end.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Iirc he didn't know to block after they died to survive the explosion, then again most of us didn't lol. I love how the armadillos are glorified hamsters in wheels powering the airship.

Because who would? lol. There really isn't anything in the game prior to that moment that prepares you for that. I guess regular enemies lunge at you in a attempt to blow you up once you've cut off a limb but there's a pretty big disconnect between that and the armadillo blowing up. lol

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Because who would? lol. There really isn't anything in the game prior to that moment that prepares you for that.
I guess there kinda is, with the big robot enemies you fight in the airship in the level before. They explode when they die and if you don't block you take damage. That is kind of a stretch though, since they're completely different types of enemies (robots vs... nuclear animals?) and I didn't make that connection either.

The suiciding enemies I think is completely different/opposite though, since if you just stand there blocking you lose a chunk of life when they grabbed you and 'sploded.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
Just finished it.. man such an amazing game and still is, the gameplay is superb.

I want NG3:RE next but they probably won't bother to add it to the BC games.