• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Finally got some chance to play tonight, missed this game.
KyYc1cPr-_CIVP_n5j-tZUns8Osh1DepYsPra53hkrv2UUD3xuTOtzFh4sr3Bba0GRn3FGybsej8oMYIv6fGQRKDnE7JeQ2NhPohZ826x81Pgo-nr_PoowyYDbZATN2DUbOguRommPpl6jrRL4dmvHIwyMjsaLkpELmXLfklZw4yTFCwErEWJyLz-dl6bw1fWdO06uoPxiN6rFWgAp-Ypxdu6HtVWQVed2MI3rLedaJSceojw02S5mlSx1zQxSQdBz_jMxZH9PD4p05Ix0_6GNmT7rLl_1ytsxFkSvSOaO2HTG2KPAtIWIr3rnWseez77A1Uf-nRhQH5fMGJ4KzkZpaxTzv5jIfE3rTgqDWn5tkY6s7rYRJtQXBAh1y7W2-FxsdiNmckkYAoa9f0jYjwryJL5_7WdOVz3_wXXqlrjG-1NTq3RwYP6I6zY6MHYPuR2ulfC3goQaaC_YBzHyCQKO94oeLxaafvLzAAHZCrGlwlUc5WrqdQ2PVil3PryBUng7KVkJlKn1F7FHtfkA_vIogrMi3Og8DEvMH-h-vkDwcMu59Cy9SkT3pgwSX7WlWIfUrqB6K8OuZ4r4RhVPPOudlu-0dcFG4yO3yLOa_HX4XhGU5FDCbEv0Jr3hrimaZ9xqOlhok0zGWcFY6Trxv27fbHs540Hus=w800-h355-no

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I'm looking forward to checking this out. Quick question, somewhat related... I'm playing NG:B on XBOX One X right now and I can't bring up the 360 Guide... pressing both the View and Menu buttons at the same time actually reboots the game... is this a know thing or is there another way to bring up the 360 Guide?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to checking this out. Quick question, somewhat related... I'm playing NG:B on XBOX One X right now and I can't bring up the 360 Guide... pressing both the View and Menu buttons at the same time actually reboots the game... is this a know thing or is there another way to bring up the 360 Guide?
I think that's happening because it's an OG Xbox game, and the 360 guide doesn't work for those. I think back and start were actually already the hotkeys for NGB's quick restart too. (edit: Yeah, from the manual "Pressing and holding the Start and back buttons simultaneously for .5 seconds will reset the game to the Title Screen).

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Hm. The stair sequence doesnt even look that bad on 360 here. Comments were saying 15 fps and it was only dropping down to 30.
I don't know how low it actually got pre-patch, but it felt just terrible and I couldn't wait for that particular part to be over when I played it again early last year (had to play without patches because if you updted the game it would crash/freeze very often).

It felt really, really bad.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like X is definitely the way to go but this far in I might as well wait and see what Microsoft's price and BC plans are for the next Xbox

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hate when people say get good but....

NGB is a better game, more polished etc. But NG2 is the definitive action combat experience, especially if you can reach the skill level of this guy. It's like a totally different game.

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I think that's happening because it's an OG Xbox game, and the 360 guide doesn't work for those. I think back and start were actually already the hotkeys for NGB's quick restart too. (edit: Yeah, from the manual "Pressing and holding the Start and back buttons simultaneously for .5 seconds will reset the game to the Title Screen).

Ah, that makes perfect sense. I forgot it's an OG Xbox game. Thanks!

Larsowitz

Nov 24, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Hm. The stair sequence doesnt even look that bad on 360 here. Comments were saying 15 fps and it was only dropping down to 30.

The main problem is that framerate is somehow connected to the game speed. Hence once the framerate drops the game feels very slow and unresponsive. That is the reason why so many people complained about the drops.

https://youtu.be/yCPtj4wNbgM

Last edited:

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Check out my bizarre bug at the end of stage 3, the boss corrupts and disappears, then by pressing a button that normally does nothing, the camera zooms out and puts Ryo on a 2D plane, allowing you to run left and right, attacking and jumping, like a 2D action game! Weird.....

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
My 2 copies from CEX arrived. As I said I will be giving one away. It's a pal copy. I'm only doing a uk giveaway sorry. Let me know if you are interested and I pick someone at random later and post it out Tuesday morning.
Some facts: its used but fully boxed with manual and will require a 7GB update to play.

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa

NGB is a better game, more polished etc. But NG2 is the definitive action combat experience, especially if you can reach the skill level of this guy. It's like a totally different game.

That video is nuts. Interesting thing I noticed is that the player basically never stands still... always moving, always attacking, which is how I think the dev team intended for the game to be played. It also seems to help with/mitigate the off-screen projectiles.

Skbzi

Jun 1, 2018
Katy, TX
Got the Japanese version from a seller on Amazon. Can't wait to get my teeth sunk into this game again since the last time I played it was back in 2011.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That video is nuts. Interesting thing I noticed is that the player basically never stands still... always moving, always attacking, which is how I think the dev team intended for the game to be played. It also seems to help with/mitigate the off-screen projectiles.

True and what amazes me is how he doesn't rely on patterns and sets like most do on the hardest difficulty. It makes for an unbelievable flow and natural experience. So gorgeous to watch. Doubt we'll ever reach his level but it's nice to know it's possible. And it's motivating.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
He's still getting stuck with a lot of incendiary shurikens but is seemingly i-framing though all the delayed explosions, impressive timing.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder how long until this gets on game pass. I'd say it shows up there by the end of the year, maybe they announce it at e3.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017

This is so fun to watch. Ninja Gaiden 2 was arguably ahead of it's time trying to do more than what the 360 could muster. I'd love to see Team Ninja take a shot at another Ninja Gaiden on next gen consoles, but I don't know if it would be the same with all the losses Team Ninja has had. Still, if MS wanted to finance another Ninja Gaiden and give Team Ninja the time to do it right I'd be all for it. The Ninja Gaiden franchise reboot games and Xbox are still intertwined together.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Even he isn't entirely immune to the offscreen exploding shuriken spam.

All these years later, *that's* the part of the game I remember the most. Really huge blemish on such a good game.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely an X360 game, though...
They're like... the Xbox 360 "Xbox Originals" for OG Xbox games yes, but the 360 guide never worked for those, and if you tried to open the guide on an actual 360 it would just say "the guide doesn't work with Xbox Original games" and I think you'd only get the option to turn the console off. You could still go back to the 360 dashboard to quit the game from there, of course.

I just tried on a few other OG Xbox games on the Xbox One too and the 360 guide doesn't work in those either.

Larsowitz

Nov 24, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
This is so fun to watch. Ninja Gaiden 2 was arguably ahead of it's time trying to do more than what the 360 could muster. I'd love to see Team Ninja take a shot at another Ninja Gaiden on next gen consoles, but I don't know if it would be the same with all the losses Team Ninja has had. Still, if MS wanted to finance another Ninja Gaiden and give Team Ninja the time to do it right I'd be all for it. The Ninja Gaiden franchise reboot games and Xbox are still intertwined together.

I think what really seperates NGII from action games is the quality and speed of its animation. Even today there is no other action game like it.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I think what really seperates NGII from action games is the quality and speed of its animation. Even today there is no other action game like it.

Exactly! Nioh was quite close but was trying too hard to be souls-lite and didn't match NG's speed. And too many start-stops equipping loot. I miss that non stop action.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Ninja Gaiden is just on anothe level. Sorry DMC fans, but that's the hard truth.

As much as I love NG2 and still am pretty amazed that a game this old holds up SOOOOO splendidly, DMC's combat in the hands of a master is just a sight to behold, a league of its own reallty.

Though I think both games have their place in the action genre.

I would like to pick up a digital copy but the Canadian price is ridiculous, $30. For an 11 year old game? No thanks.

The game puts to shame many full priced remasters so, it's worth it imo.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Ninja Gaiden is just on anothe level. Sorry DMC fans, but that's the hard truth.

But it's not though. Stop it with the hottakes. You like what you like.

They don't even play similar as action games. That gif you quoted is mostly a set automated animation - look at other obliteration techniques, much like Pyromaniac attack in DMC5.

For example, everything in the above gif from DMC5 is a manual input. You'll notice that the speed of play is highly related to player skill. Depending on who you watch, it can play very slow or very fast.

Last edited:

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Got the achievement for dying and continuing 100 times. I died over 100 times on the 2nd boss alone. Going to be a long play-through at this rate. Loving everything about this game aside from the camera and those damned first person bow and arrow controls. 2nd boss was so damned hard for the camera alone. His move set wasn't that bad otherwise.

Forgot about the wall running and gymnastics moves off the bars...just like from the Ninja Gaiden arcade game. So damned good.

Oct 26, 2017
lol dmc is literally the opposite of the flashy executions in NG2. If you do something awesome in DMC, its cause you executed something well. NG2 you just press a button to do that gif. Even NGB and NG2 are completely different games. NGB is about all things in moderation, 2 about just being as aggressive as possible.

Nioh/NGB are my favorite action games, but its not because they are "On another level", its just because I very much enjoy the focus on mechanics rather than pure style.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
As much as I love NG2 and still am pretty amazed that a game this old holds up SOOOOO splendidly, DMC's combat in the hands of a master is just a sight to behold, a league of its own reallty.

Though I think both games have their place in the action genre.

I've always felt Ninja Gaiden games ( Black and II ) were better than the DMC and even Bayonetta games.

I'm a gameplay guy and I think the gamepkay is richer and more precise in Ninja Gaiden games. The amount of moves you can make is just incredible.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Can we avoid making this OT another DMC vs NG thread please?
I'm sure you can make another thread for that to post edited Sunhi gifs and hottakes...

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
Got the achievement for dying and continuing 100 times. I died over 100 times on the 2nd boss alone. Going to be a long play-through at this rate. Loving everything about this game aside from the camera and those damned first person bow and arrow controls. 2nd boss was so damned hard for the camera alone. His move set wasn't that bad otherwise.

Forgot about the wall running and gymnastics moves off the bars...just like from the Ninja Gaiden arcade game. So damned good.
For bosses, press Y 3 times using the sword, that's a pretty good move, or XXY using the Lunar, you can also play on Acolyte which is easier.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
Ninja Gaiden vs DMC arguments are so 2005 guys.

As a fan of both games, I gotta say that Ninja Gaiden players talking shit about DMC often feels to me like it comes from a place of ignorance regarding DMC's mechanics more than anything. DMC doesn't have the raw intensity and chaos of something like Ninja Gaiden 2, but the skill ceiling is still way higher, and the combat situations are built to take advantage of that. They're not really going for the same thing. (If anything though, I feel like NG could stand to learn some things from DMC like on-the-fly weapon switching; replaying NG2 now also highlights how the different use cases for all the available dial combos are a BIT esoteric compared to something like Bayonetta)

I DO wish more DMC players actually tried Ninja Gaiden though, 1 and 2 are must-play action games.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know the enemy count in pre vs post staircase patch? In these comparisons the game on 360 still goes into slomo and the enemy count looks the same on 1X.

I do remember when playing post patch there was a decrease in enemies but now completely forgot what the full enemy count looked like in prepatch to grasp the differences.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
I gotta say that Ninja Gaiden players talking shit about DMC often feels to me like it comes from a place of ignorance regarding DMC's mechanics more than anything. DMC doesn't have the raw intensity and chaos of something like Ninja Gaiden 2, but the skill ceiling is still way higher, and the combat situations are built to take advantage of that

This.
When we have people seeing at a gif of an automated move in NG and say: "Sorry DMC fans but NG is better" you know they are clueless about NG and DMC mechanics to begin with. Press one button to execute flashy animations is one thing, combine buttons to execute flashy animations is another thing, but i don't expect people to understand the difference between these two.

I DO wish more DMC players actually tried Ninja Gaiden though, 1 and 2 are must-play action games.

I'm pretty sure you will find a lot of DMC players loving NG, the opposite is not that common.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Just started playing this on Xbox One X. My first time playing it.

Crikey, it looks good. So sharp.