• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
No hyperbole...is this the best action game ever made?
It certainly could have been but is clearly unfinished or was rushed to completion. What we are left with is still a top tier action game but some others edge it out for that reason. Now if Itagaki was paid and stuck around for a Black version than, yes, no question. However that didn't happen and we got Sigma 2 instead.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
No hyperbole...is this the best action game ever made?

Nah, it always felt a bit unpolished even against NGB. The off-screen spam can be overwhelming and in some situations lead to some cheese tactics. UT abuse is a crutch that can be exhilarating when chaining multiple kills with surgical efficiency, but it can kind of feel like a cheese tactic.

That said, there is a lot to like, but best action game ever? Probably not in my top 5 or above NGB, but it sits comfortably close.[/QUOTE]

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Oh right... this finished.

It seems like if you do the "record last 30 seconds" it's only at 30fps, and you have to manually record a section to get 60fps.
Again, please excuse the pool play lol. At least I didn't die (although I did get close there...)

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I swallowed my pride and began a playthrough in acolyte difficulty. I think I made the right decision as I totally suck.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Had no idea this what BC this week, excited to get it installed and play it again, don't think I've finished it since 2008.

I will miss the slow-mo on the stairs though lol.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
Anyone else notice dropped inputs? It happens to me a lot with the left stick specifically. I can't do forward+Y hold attacks consistently, and often times when I'm trying to dash from a block, Ryu will just stand there while I move the stick forward. I don't think there's a problem with my controller since I just used it to play DMC5 and Sekiro without issue. I hope it's something that can be fixed on my end rather than an emulation problem, but as it is I'd rather play on the 360. (I've got a regular Xbone fyi, not an S or X)

Survival missions in Mission Mode load very slowly as well.
I was wondering if it was just me. I haven't played the 360 version in forever though, I feel like maybe the timing for certain things is just different now that the game runs so much smoother. I had this same feeling when the DMC5 demo first came out, since there was no input buffering a lot of my button presses ended up getting eaten until I acclimated more to the timing. At least in terms of latency the game feels very responsive so I'm willing to chalk it up to not being used to the higher frame rate yet. I'm on the X.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
I was wondering if it was just me. I haven't played the 360 version in forever though, I feel like maybe the timing for certain things is just different now that the game runs so much smoother. I had this same feeling when the DMC5 demo first came out, since there was no input buffering a lot of my button presses ended up getting eaten until I acclimated more to the timing. At least in terms of latency the game feels very responsive so I'm willing to chalk it up to not being used to the higher frame rate yet. I'm on the X.

I'm in the same camp, haven't played NG II in a while so I can't tell if this is just how it was but something does feel off about the attacks and input lag. I'm coming off of 100% completing DMC5, and I've gotten so used to how that game feels that playing other games like Sekiro and NG II feels weird to me.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, it always felt a bit unpolished even against NGB. The off-screen spam can be overwhelming and in some situations lead to some cheese tactics. UT abuse is a crutch that can be exhilarating when chaining multiple kills with surgical efficiency, but it can kind of feel like a cheese tactic.

That said, there is a lot to like, but best action game ever? Probably not in my top 5 or above NGB, but it sits comfortably close.

I've seen a few comments like this in this thread. It's interesting because I've always been a bit of an odd duck in that I never liked any variation of Ninja Gaiden Black. While technically a sound video game I've always felt every version of that game had severe encounter, stage and progression issues. That's not to say that I think NG2 is perfect but NG2's flow and feel of combat always clicked with me better than NGB's. While off-screen spam is definitely an issue in NG2 for whatever reason projectile enemies of all varieties bothered me far more in NGB.

I don't think I would declare NG2 the best action game of all time but it's probably my favorite. Though no one should listen to what I have to say because I'm also a Sigma 2 & NG3RE defender (which are both VERY flawed). LOL

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
Really impressed with how great this looks with the enhancements, but I'd forgotten how frustrating it can be. The Chapter 3 Boss was miserable, especially with the camera fighting against me.

I beat it back in 2008, but I doubt I have the patience nowadays.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing with Japanese dub right now, using my PAL copy.
Same here with a US copy. There are separate text and audio settings for languages.
zFapyzl.jpg

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Blocked in Japan too!!

Even though the game was released in Japan back in 2008. Microsoft really needs to fix this.

You can still buy the DVD and install the game though...

I don't know about Japan, but if the game is banned by the ratings board in Germany I would assume the download would be blocked even if you put the disc in.

Larsowitz

Nov 24, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Oh right... this finished.

It seems like if you do the "record last 30 seconds" it's only at 30fps, and you have to manually record a section to get 60fps.
Again, please excuse the pool play lol. At least I didn't die (although I did get close there...)

Thanks! Looks much better than the original x360 version. I feel that level of slowdown during a UT is very acceptable

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! Looks much better than the original x360 version. I feel that level of slowdown during a UT is very acceptable
Yeah, it's like... a second and since it seems to happen during the UT animation I don't think it would "get in the way" if that makes sense.

Also, yeah, comparing to the old version it looks loads better.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I've always thought the character models in Ninja Gaiden 2 looked like one of those fake video games you'd see on a procedural show. Really weird and unique plastic sheen to them.

Larsowitz

Nov 24, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah, it's like... a second and since it seems to happen during the UT animation I don't think it would "get in the way" if that makes sense.

Also, yeah, comparing to the old version it looks loads better.

Yea understand what you mean. Before the slowdown was permanent, now only during the UT.

Now the slowdown looks quite epic I think.
Really looking foward to replaying this!

Last edited:

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Don't forget statue bosses. Those were certainly...a choice.

I mean, the main issue with them was just how many times you fight them. There should've been the statue of liberty fight and that's it. I actually think that, overall, the boss encounters in Sigma 2 are superior to NG2. Yeah there are certain things about some fights that make them more entertaining in NG2 but yeah.
Obviously, I know saying much of anything positive about Sigma 2 is frowned upon by many but I do think that version of the game is much more solid than people give it credit. Not to say that I don't have a number of issues with it though as I do. I just don't view it as this abysmal piece of trash that many seem to.

Unrelated, anyone looking to sell of their 360, make sure you back up your saves to the cloud before selling it. I realized last night that I had never backed up my saves for this game. I don't remember if there was an option to auto backup saves on 360 but I was an OG stairs kind of guy which meant I always played this game offline so that may have impacted things? Either way, playing the game on Warrior last night and getting Master Ninja rank for chapter 1 felt pretty good considering I hadn't played it in about 5 years.

kingkaiser

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Essen, Germany
Xbox ONe launched with a crippled line up in Germany due to that law.

Both Ryse and Dead Rising 3 were not marketable there. I don't remember how that ended tho

Wrong, Ryse was never banned in Germany and games like Dead Rising 3 can be bought from foreign marketplaces because Microsoft lifted the dumb geoblocking from the Xbox One eco system, but not with the 360 games. So yeah, this is on Microsoft. Well, they don't want my money, it's ok.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Wrong, Ryse was never banned in Germany and games like Dead Rising 3 can be bought from foreign marketplaces because Microsoft lifted the dumb geoblocking from the Xbox One eco system, but not with the 360 games. So yeah, this is on Microsoft. Well, they don't want my money, it's ok.
Xbox 360 is still geoblocked. The fact that you can still buy it in another country is not an excuse.

Again take it out against your own government.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
german government has nothing to do with this. they dont mandate geo or ip blocks, thats purely on microsoft.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I could've sworn I had a physical cope of this game but I can't find it. Guess I'll have to wait for a digital sale.

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the main issue with them was just how many times you fight them. There should've been the statue of liberty fight and that's it. I actually think that, overall, the boss encounters in Sigma 2 are superior to NG2. Yeah there are certain things about some fights that make them more entertaining in NG2 but yeah.
Obviously, I know saying much of anything positive about Sigma 2 is frowned upon by many but I do think that version of the game is much more solid than people give it credit. Not to say that I don't have a number of issues with it though as I do. I just don't view it as this abysmal piece of trash that many seem to.

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't think Sigma 2 is bad at all, its still a good game. Hell, I even enjoyed the Vita version because the base combat is so good. I just look at Sigma 2 as a missed opportunity, it could've been the Black version of NG2. There are good changes they made, but plenty of questionable ones too.

Oct 31, 2017
That I'm not sure but in this case I also don't know that there is a difference - the disc is just used as a check and then you download the digital version anyway. Xbox doesn't read the disc at all besides the initial check.

That's the point: there's supposedly no digital version in Germany... That's why I'm saying anyone should be good to go if they change their country from Germany to France for example. Put the disc in and it should download the game after checking the disc as it's available in France !

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
So I'm having an odd issue. The game will barely ever register my inputs for dodging forward (up on left stick) while blocking. I can dodge every other direction fine, and the game registers repeated forward inputs fine when running around and such. Controller issue, or maybe something with the game?

Edit - nvm, controller issue

Last edited:

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
german government has nothing to do with this. they dont mandate geo or ip blocks, thats purely on microsoft.

Actually, I think it's on publishers. I live in Croatia, which has no official Live support (on Xbox; for some reason on Windows and even Windows Phone Croatia is a valid option), so we are forced to pick other countries for our accounts. Some Xbox 360 content is geoblocked, but most of it is not. If it was up to Microsoft, I guess that all of it would be inaccessible.

But what I'm finding strange here is geoblocking has only ever been a problem on Xbox 360. Once you successfully buy a game on Xbox 360 (using VPN), it's downloadable on Xbox One with no issues. In fact, I think I've never had geoblocking prevent me from downloading any content on Xbox 360 either, it's just buying that's always been an issue (I have a UK account). So I'm inclined to believe that German laws figure into it after all.

vsMIC

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know about Japan, but if the game is banned by the ratings board in Germany I would assume the download would be blocked even if you put the disc in.

no, i downloaded in germany from disc. unfortunately blocked shop page and no chance to buy digital, not even the dlc costumes. switching to region uk also does not help. which sucks, as i really want to play mission mode again. at least i can play the main game again.

any ideas how to trick the system to go digital and get the dlc?