• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So the epic stairs are no more.

*pours one out for the spectacle that once was and shall never be again*

But the rest of the game... soon as I get a chance I'm re-getting an X1X.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I never heard that the staircase was patched out. was that a thing?

I hope one day Team Ninja does an actual rebalance trilogy remaster of these games. There's plenty of improvements and pros and cons to the sigma 1 and 2 games versus the OG 1 and 2 that could be taken into account to make the definitive edition.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
White Bio Ninja, can't find any good screens of it though

Checked my 360 and at some point I managed to upload a chapter 6 Master Ninja save to the cloud
Nice, shoutouts to Wario64 and the TV promo from so many years ago that let me stack free Gold for years

Now i'm just hoping on a framerate analysis
This one? (I was near a save point, lol)
i1LbPj2.jpg
Almost looks like something out of Warframe

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Made it to Genshin tonight. I forgot how bad those bosses were. Their prevent you from using your moveset and resort to spamming some normal attacks. The worst is yet to come.
The moment to moment combat is still excellent and it really opens up when you have fully upgraded weapons.
Now I remember why I never got all the achievements. You have to play the entire game with each weapon without switching and there are 8 (if I remember correctly). The good thing is once you finish a playthrough you can restart on any unlocked difficulty with your fully upgraded weapons.

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Made it to Genshin tonight. I forgot how bad those bosses were. Their prevent you from using your moveset and resort to spamming some normal attacks. The worst is yet to come.
The moment to moment combat is still excellent and it really opens up when you have fully upgraded weapons.
Now I remember why I never got all the achievements. You have to play the entire game with each weapon without switching and there are 8 (if I remember correctly). The good thing is once you finish a playthrough you can restart on any unlocked difficulty with your fully upgraded weapons.
I remember using lunar jump x x y

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
I'd agree with you that NG Sigma is worse but Sigma 2 is waaaaaaaaay better than vanilla NG2. There are a lot of just horrible boring sections and bosses in vanilla. And I say this as someone who has beaten NG2 Vanilla on master difficulty. The rift between Itagaki and Tecmo really shows with Ninja Gaiden 2 vanilla as its not nearly as tuned to perfection as the first game Itakagi put out. The game just being balls hard doesn't make it better designed. So get out of here with this "ninja gaiden for babies" shit.
*thumbs up*

Oct 25, 2017

I remember people going side weapons and throws only up until one of the late chapters to save themselves the multiple runs

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Is that the same with you ng 2? I saw the video here and they got HD huds
Don't have ng2 but hd is 720p so it would look bad scaled up to near 4k. In one of the newly xenhanced Splinter Cell games the in engine gfx are near 4k but the cutscenes and HUD are around 720p. Forza Horizon 1 has a 4k HUD because it originally used vector graphics so it was easy to scale.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Not going through the process of hooking up/finding my 360 to upload my save so started over and I forgot how little health bosses have on way of the warrior. They go down so fast

Gore is still great, especially with the improved performance. Sigma 2 cutting it out was such a huge mistake and makes it so I could never play that version knowing what is missed. Oddly the vita version has the extra content AND gore but it runs at like 20 fps most of the time.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Fuuuuuuuuck, I can't find my disk. Really don't want to eat the cost to rebuy this.

Revan Ren

Jan 11, 2018
Wow this is great news. I tried to play my copy of NGII a few months back figuring it would be BC. Downloading the update, going to play a few chapters tonight.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just got home from work and saw that price. Greatly appreciate getting this on X but I'm gonna have to wait for a sale on the digital version. 29.99 is fair in my eyes but not jiving with my current financial situation.

Can't wait to eventually get at it, though!!

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
I played a good 2 hours and a half on X and it's so glorious. It's beautiful and I didn't notice any framerate drops. Since all my saves are endgame, I will gladly play everything again.

Wholeheartedly agree. It is absolutely stunning. The graphical assets holds up REALLY well in 2019. It's hard to believe this came out in 2008.

It's been over 10 years ago since I played this game and I hardly remember the game. It's like playing a whole new game again.

The only knock I had against the game back when it originally released were the gameplay slow downs and the severe frame rate drop when action got intense and chopped limbs start flying all over the screen. All of those issues so far appears to have been remedied and it's running at near 4K resolution.

Absolutely stunning. Huge props to Microsoft back compat team for a job well done!

Whether you are new or have played this game in the past, if you're a combat action game fan, you owe it to yourself to give NG2 a try.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Did the 360 have cloud saves? If it did, how do I upload all those saves so that I can use the same files on my X?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like I've been talking about Yojimbo a lot lately...

I never noticed this reference before. I guess first time I played the game was before I saw Yojimbo, but I did beat it early last year (only on Acolyte. I just can not beat the last boss on Warrior...).

Pretty sure it's a reference to this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQgVUXckpTw

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Wait so the X enhanced stuff came out today? For real!?!? I thought it was just announced like it was coming later or something!!! The fuck, hold up gotta start some downloads.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Game looks incredible on the "X". Rivals many current gen games visually and it plays so damn smooth. I was able to get a copy at my local mom & pop store for $8.00 and it was in great condition. Prior to calling them I called 2 Gamestop's and the guy that answered at one said "you are the 5th person calling for that". lol. Out of 3 GS none of them had any left. My mom & pop store had about 3 left and he started the day with 9 copies.

One1stepahead

Oct 27, 2017
I defeated the first boss and not a single framedrop to be seen, the X version seems locked at 60fps. Second level blew my mind, the beginning looks so damn good on my OLED. The image really pops!

NG2 on the X feels like a true remaster. The BC team could have bring the game over to the X and call it a day but they went the extra mile here. Very impressive stuff!

I hope to see a Digital Foundry about this.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
I'd agree with you that NG Sigma is worse but Sigma 2 is waaaaaaaaay better than vanilla NG2. There are a lot of just horrible boring sections and bosses in vanilla. And I say this as someone who has beaten NG2 Vanilla on master difficulty. The rift between Itagaki and Tecmo really shows with Ninja Gaiden 2 vanilla as its not nearly as tuned to perfection as the first game Itakagi put out. The game just being balls hard doesn't make it better designed. So get out of here with this "ninja gaiden for babies" shit.

Sigma 2 is trash. The "rebalancing" isn't so much of a proper rebalance as just outright neutering the purpose of NG2's combat design and its encounters. It removes a significant amount of enemies on screen downgrading it to NG1 levels where you only fight 3 characters at one time. The combat in 2 is designed towards more offensive play and quickly and efficiently taking out many many enemies at once. That's a part of the thrill is having a crap ton of ninjas and demons out for your blood, and you being equipped with the techniques and weapons to take them all out. That was the purpose of the obliteration techniques and dismemberment system. The only highly unbalanced part that got super annoying in vanilla 2 is the amount of off-screen projectiles. If they got rid of that it would have been fine. This is all on top of Sigma 2 completely removing gore and blood and hilariously replacing it with purple mist along with the removal of body parts remaining on screen that gave you the visual feedback of being a dangerous super ninja.

Also Sigma 2 may have removed 2 bad bosses, but in return they added in 5 more shit bosses, then forced gameplay chapters for the side characters who play like ass compared to Ryu.

NG2 XB

Trash

Revan Ren

Jan 11, 2018
This game looks and runs so well. It's fluid and beautiful, looks better than some current gen games.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sigma 2 is trash. The "rebalancing" isn't so much of a proper rebalance as just outright neutering the purpose of NG2's combat design and its encounters. It removes a significant amount of enemies on screen downgrading it to NG1 levels where you only fight 3 characters at one time. The combat in 2 is designed towards more offensive play and quickly and efficiently taking out many many enemies at once. That's a part of the thrill is having a crap ton of ninjas and demons out for your blood, and you being equipped with the techniques and weapons to take them all out. That was the purpose of the obliteration techniques and dismemberment system. The only highly unbalanced part that got super annoying in vanilla 2 is the amount of off-screen projectiles. If they got rid of that it would have been fine. This is all on top of Sigma 2 completely removing gore and blood and hilariously replacing it with purple mist along with the removal of body parts remaining on screen that gave you the visual feedback of being a dangerous super ninja.

Also Sigma 2 may have removed 2 bad bosses, but in return they added in 5 more shit bosses, then forced gameplay chapters for the side characters who play like ass compared to Ryu.

NG2 XB

Trash

Yeah they paired the enemies down a tad because guess what the vanilla version had performance issues. Also I totally refute the notion that more is better anyways. Ninja Gaiden isn't about quantity. Tecmo has a series for that its called Dynasty Warriors. I'd rather have a set of smaller better tuned enemies than just a swarm of enemies for no good reason. And over everything I'd rather take Sigma 2 because the underground section with the worms in Ninja Gaiden 2 vanilla is the worst segment in franchise history period and I'm including the entirety of Ninja Gaiden 3 in that. Its so bad. I don't know how anyone greenlit that.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they paired the enemies down a tad because guess what the vanilla version had performance issues. Also I totally refute the notion that more is better anyways. Ninja Gaiden isn't about quantity. Tecmo has a series for that its called Dynasty Warriors. I'd rather have a set of smaller better tuned enemies than just a swarm of enemies for no good reason. And over everything I'd rather take Sigma 2 because the underground section with the worms in Ninja Gaiden 2 vanilla is the worst segment in franchise history period and I'm including the entirety of Ninja Gaiden 3 in that. Its so bad. I don't know how anyone greenlit that.

NG2 is about raising the stakes. Having more of the intelligent enemies on screen requires you to be that much more sharp and on the offense. It isn't about boasting enemy count just for the sake of it. That's completely missing the point.

And I'd take that worm boss over the craptastic "blind" T-rex in NG3 that has zero awareness of Ryu. It's also funny you brought up Dynasty Warriors because that design of introducing wave after wave after wave of solider enemies made its way into NG3 and got highly repetitive. Terrible design throughout.

ng3dinjrkiz.gif

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
It's a lot easier than Sigma 2's version.
He must be referring to specifically the "surprise" lol.

Anyone else playing this with the Duke?
I started playing NGB with one because I figured if people could do it when it came out, I should at least try it.
Since then, one of the things I've been wanting to try if NGII became BC was playing it with the Duke, too. I think I like it. It's just a little weird pressing the black button instead of RB to open chests and "use" statues/open doors (what have you...).

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Removed entirely?? Nuts. I haven't played since launch so I suffered the single digit frames. Never revisited it like I did with Black, I'll probably rectify that now.
I remember the game pre-patch having intense slowdown but no framerate drops. Then I think they "fixed" this with a later patch that reduced the enemy count. Not sure if it also removed the slowdown from the original 360 version.

JigsawPSN

Banned
Apr 11, 2019
Sigma 2 is trash. The "rebalancing" isn't so much of a proper rebalance as just outright neutering the purpose of NG2's combat design and its encounters. It removes a significant amount of enemies on screen downgrading it to NG1 levels where you only fight 3 characters at one time.

NG2 XB

this is highly exaggerated and factually wrong.

https://youtu.be/MA7Runk_lSc

The combat in 2 is designed towards more offensive play and quickly and efficiently taking out many many enemies at once. That's a part of the thrill is having a crap ton of ninjas and demons out for your blood, and you being equipped with the techniques and weapons to take them all out. That was the purpose of the obliteration techniques and dismemberment system.

which are fully intact in sigma?

This is all on top of Sigma 2 completely removing gore and blood and hilariously replacing it with purple mist along with the removal of body parts remaining on screen that gave you the visual feedback of being a dangerous super ninja.

yep, that was stupid

so they fixed it in sigma 2 plus, which has blood,gore,limbs and uncensored cutscenes

ayane plays great because she is even faster than ryu. its like turbo mode from devil may cry.

5 more shit bosses? the tengu brothers are one of the best bosses in the ninja gaiden series period. those statue fights were bad though

also they added online coop and chapter select for the story mode

Neo-Saiyan

Oct 27, 2017
Birmingham, UK
MS just keeps on winning with their backwards compatibility program, my temptation to get an Xbox One X grows more and more each day but I can't really justify getting one at this point in time when the next gen is just around the corner 😐

Never played more than 10 minutes of any NG game, I remember it being hard but how hard is it exactly?

I haven't played any since the 1st game on the OG Xbox even though I own NG2 and Sigma 2, I'd say it's probably harder than the Soulsborne games, if my memory serves me correctly, the game was brutal, no checkpoints, no regen health, you die in a level, you start right back at the start, I tapped out on the 1st level 😂