• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Following his highly publicized breakup with Twitch, Tyler "Ninja" Blevins is off to a good start on Mixer, gaining half a million subscriptions in his first day and pushing the Mixer app to the top of the iOS App Store. He hosted his first Fortnitestream from the Microsoft-owned site from Lollapalooza, with a crowd of fans visible on the stream watching him live and a much larger one watching online.

The day after Ninja announced his move to Mixer, he posted on Twitter that he had already hit 500,000 subscribers. That's significantly more subscribers than he has on Twitch, which is currently under 15,000, according to Twitch Tracker, and twice the number he had at his peak of 250,000 in March 2018. It's important to note that Mixer is currently offering free subscriptions to Ninja's channel to welcome him to the site, so it remains to be seen how many of the rush of new subscribers will stick around once the promotion ends. Nonetheless, it's an auspicious start for the streamer's new channel after his risky move from the platform where he made his fame.

Ninja's arrival seems to have been a boon for Mixer as well. As Ninja's subscriber count grew, the Mixer app was climbing the charts on the iOS App Store. It's currently the top ranked free app on Apple's storefront.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
The more often people see anything mixer related the more relevant the app will become untill it establishes itself as one of the streaming apps if that hasn't already happened with this move.

Extremely smart move from MS

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It's pretty wild that for Mixer to acquire more mind share Microsoft had to go this route.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
People like free stuff, more news at 11.

Honestly this doesn't really mean anything right now, because downloading the app and subscribing to ninja is free.
As of now his views are still going down, so need to see how will this shake up in the end.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
957.jpg

Meanwhile his viewership goes down every day.
25509.jpg

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Next they should announce a new KI game and then pay Maximilian to stream exclusively on Mixer.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
5k or less paying subs would still be much better than Mixer viewership was before the deal.
Obviously. But it will show that the comparison that this article is making is fairly moot. Yes they point out they are free, but still. It won't even be close to as impressive as his peak was on twitch with actual paid subscribers longer term

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
How is that wild though? What would YOU suggest any streaming site to do to take people away from twitch?
In principal, it's wild. The general idea that any streaming site would have to pay $50m in an attempt to drive mindshare away from Twitch. This would apply to any streaming site, so I don't know why you're being so defensive of something that ultimately isn't set in stone.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Good news for everyone involved. Kinda sad how some in here are downplaying it so hard.

Are there twitch fanboys or something?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
What would you suggest instead?

I'm not saying they shouldn't have done it, I'm just saying it's wild that it came to this. They couldn't get the platform to become more popular despite trying many things. They've advertised the heck out of Mixer and I even remember being at E3 the other year where their entire floor space in the main con hall was all about Mixer. Personally, giving dlc bonuses to certain games through watching streams on Mixer got me to occasionally use it. But despite that I always default to Twitch because it's much better integrated into the things and devices I use. However if Microsoft keeps pushing the platform I wouldn't be opposed to using it over Twitch. It would probably piss people off, but say for example Microsoft paid a big tourney like Evo to stream exclusively on Mixer I wouldn't mind.

You think it's wild a streaming service had to acquire a big streamer to get eyeballs on it?

Absolutely. It's become big business.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In principal, it's wild. The general idea that any streaming site would have to pay $50m in an attempt to drive mindshare away from Twitch. This would apply to any streaming site, so I don't know why you're being so defensive of something that ultimately isn't set in stone.
Ehh I don't think it's wild. It's part of their marketing budget. And it's working. It's certainly smart. I don't think this'll be the last time we see something like this happen.

It would probably piss people off, but say for example Microsoft paid a big tourney like Evo to stream exclusively on Mixer I wouldn't mind.

Ha, that's a good idea! I could definitely see that happen. And it likely wouldn't be that expensive. These tournaments could likely use every bit of cash offered to them.