• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
You can't even do basic right, what balls do you have to try and charge more for "core gamers" to get a better service

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully its just buffing the existing service. But if it isn't I'll just wait and see. That's pretty much my strategy now a days.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I'm guessing they'll just charge more for access to more games. Maybe another $10 to get SNES games. Maybe another bump later if they add a tier with N64 and/or GameCube games.

I'd pass as I don't find myself playing the NES games or using my SNES classic (should sell it) or the emulator/roms on my PC anymore.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think everyone wants a cheaper online only tier versus the more expensive tier with games and cloud storage, etc. (on all platforms not just specifically talking bout N)

If that makes Cloud Storage even more expensive, no. You can't backup anywhere else but with Cloud on the Switch (unlike the other platforms), so if they make that even more expensive it would be extra shitty.

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo: "The enthusiast Nintendo fan wants the company to be successful, so we will charge more money but with fewer features"

Oct 25, 2017
Judging from what is actually read in the article, it's mostly all opinion. In fact, it's all mostly claims and conjecture for the most part.

Hell there's nothing in there at all about an additional charge.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I also want to note that I'm not sure this is meant to be some big rumor or news. It's sort of just tucked away in the article and doesn't use any sort of strong language like some of the translations are.

Who knows. I could be wrong. But reading the original article, it sounds to me like Nintendo is just planning to strengthen Nintendo Switch Online to better attract core gamers.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I also want to note that I'm not sure this is meant to be some big rumor or news. It's sort of just tucked away in the article and doesn't use any sort of strong language like some of the translations are.

Who knows. I could be wrong. But reading the original article, it sounds to me like Nintendo is just planning to strengthen Nintendo Switch Online to better attract core gamers.

That is what the article says in that part, yes, there's nothing in there about increasing costs and whether or not the additional services are tied to online or not isn't even clear, and most of it is entirely supposition by the author on *some* info but we really don't know the extent of it. But the premise of this thread is simply incorrect.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
If that makes Cloud Storage even more expensive, no. You can't backup anywhere else but with Cloud on the Switch (unlike the other platforms), so if they make that even more expensive it would be extra shitty.

ah i'm not really familiar with the nintendo service. was just speaking in general about splitting up the core online play with other services people don't necessarily want or need

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah strengthening the service and adding new features with no price increase is always welcome.

And was always obvious.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
You want all the things from other providers while paying 3x less, got it.

See above.

You're comparing "feature complete" to something that costs 3x more though.
The PS3, WiiU and freaking Vita all were free and had better services than this. Not to mention how the 3x services has a lot more going for them than Nintendo online and I'm not just talking about infrastructure.

Last edited:

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but service as in "completely new service seperated from NSO" or "service that is included with NSO"?
"New service" is all I'm getting there. But "strengthening the Switch Online Service that launched in September 2018" is mentioned in the sentence right before that.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Okay that looks like a blog summary of the article but it does in fact mention "new service aimed at high-paying game enthusiasts"
Yeah but service as in "completely new service seperated from NSO" or "service that is included with NSO"?
I'd presume the latter unless the article specifies that there'll be a new subscription tier.

Nintendo Switch Online is, strictly speaking, a subscription program that gives you access to multiple services.

"New service" is all I'm getting there. But "strengthening the Switch Online Service that launched in September 2018" is mentioned in the sentence right before that.
Who knows what that means, though? Does it mean actually strengthening their online services? Or does it mean strengthening the value of the subscription program?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If this premium service enables headphone jack voice chat for all online games [without that awful phone app], people should flip the fuck out.
They will but will be met by defense force posts like "people wanted this and Nintendo gave it to you but now you complain. Nintendo just cant win!"

Great, we're gonna get another year of people asking for features they know they won't get.
Yeah god forbid we want features from 2004 on our 2019 consoles.

Additional clarification

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

We got a rough translation in Sales:
"In addition, strengthening of Nintendo Switch online services that started 18/09. There appear to be plans to provide a new service(new feature?) geared towards bigger spending game aficionados within 2019."

So they plan to strengthen the service and add new services/features to NSO, but the details are unclear because most of the article appears to be supposition from the author with unclear breaks in what is actually know and what he's just supposing. The new "service" may just be a feature in NSO and whether or not it costs more is never stated. In effect, Nintendo plans to improve NSO and add new features to it which would target higher spend users.

No evidence of changes in price structure or anything, its a very unclear and vacuous line of thought.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Even if it isn't a mistranslation, without any specifics it might not be what people expect.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
"In addition, strengthening of Nintendo Switch online services that started 18/09. There appear to be plans to provide a new service(new feature?) geared towards bigger spending game aficionados within 2019."

So they plan to strengthen the service and add new services/features to NSO, but the details are unclear because most of the article appears to be supposition from the author with unclear breaks in what is actually know and what he's just supposing. The new "service" may just be a feature in NSO and whether or not it costs more is never stated. In effect, Nintendo plans to improve NSO and add new features to it which would target higher spend users.

No evidence of changes in price structure or anything, its a very unclear and vacuous line of thought.
Yeah that translation is basically what I'm getting out of it too. No idea if the full article goes into more detail or not

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Looking forward to Nintendo moving all of the best classics to this service and only keeping stuff like Urban Champion on the base subscription.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

That implies that the new service or feature might be free itself, but could be something like a store that lets higher spending users to buy something. Maybe a VC store? I can't really think of anything else like that.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Do we have numbers? Family sub numbers > individual? Is that why current offering is not for "enthusiasts"?

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Here is the Japanese text:

さらには18年9月に始めた月額課金によるスイッチ向けのオンラインサービスの強化。19年中にゲーム愛好家の高額課金者向けに新サービスを始めるもようだ。

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here is the Japanese text:

さらには18年9月に始めた月額課金によるスイッチ向けのオンラインサービスの強化。19年中にゲーム愛好家の高額課金者向けに新サービスを始めるもようだ。
Can someone translate this please? Not some google translate, but real translation

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People just seem to toss our buzzwords they've heard before without even knowing what they mean. I've seen multiple people wants servers for Smash and it really makes me wonder
Perr2Peer for 1on1 makes morse sence. It is more direct, but matchmaking in publish is shit and overall lag could be still reduced.
What needs servers more is Splatoon 2 tbh

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
ResetEra: "Getting rid of the virtual console is a garbage decision and Nintendo is the absolute worst."
ResetEra, presented with the possibility of maybe Nintendo charging for games in some sort of microtransaction format: "Charging for individual games? This is a garbage decision and Nintendo is the absolute worst."

Evergarden

Oct 25, 2017
From what I understand, since the article is basically about NSO and strengthening it, I believe the new services mentioned in the article might be related to NSO. But they probable going to add features with a price because "High Paying Customers" is especially mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.