• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is the old American Flag offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 153 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 687 81.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im with it.

Sad thing in the normal timeline I wouldn't care.

In this timeline...If anything the last few years has taught me is that you give ya local racist/fascist/nazi even a second of a benefit of doubt, suddenly you're overrun with those cockroaches. I can imagine Proud Boys making it their symbol while waving the flag, and Foxnews taking up the cause like 'See, the LEFT hates the US FLAG' while barely dogwhistling it as a symbol of hate. Spray painting a circle of stars on black churches and synagogues, etc
Is there a point where ceding a symbol to neo Nazi dipshits becomes absurd?

Like if they started trying to coopt rainbow flags, crucifixes, Star of David, etc.

Surely you think there has to be some line drawn somewhere.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
if the argument is that betsy ross flag is offensive, then the current one is too

so it doesnt matter which one you fucking use other than the confederate one. that one actually matters

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Those kicks are dope. I'd rock them same way I did in the early 00s with the Nike Brazil shoes in yellow and green. (Aklmost bought the barca bikes too)

These would be perfect if you're going to a world Cup game.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

Like if they started trying to coopt rainbow flags, crucifixes, Star of David, etc.

It depends. Like I think it sucks that the 'ok' symbol got co-opted. I wish we ignored that bullshit.

That said, in this case, the way Americans worship the flag and have weaponized patriotism (NFL kneeling, the reaction to burning the flag, "democrats hate the troops" while they happily underfund the VA), and the revisionist history behind our founding fathers where the civil war wasn't about slavery in many textbooks...this is a hill im willing to die on. As a symbol it strikes closer to the debate we need to have than ok symbol, pepe, etc

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Seems like a reach, surprised this had sway over Nike at all. I know this place gets very anti american flag or america in general...but its a reach.

How far down the rabbit hole do you have to go to find racist groups using this? Even if they are fuck them its not theirs to take. Has to come a time where we say fuck them and not let them co-opt whatever.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Seems like a reach, surprised this had sway over Nike at all. I know this place gets very anti american flag or america in general...but its a reach.

I know it's posted all the time, but it really fits with the Woke brands narrative.

Making a decision that gets people riled up on social media is free marketing, not shocked to see them do this.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
It depends. Like I think it sucks that the 'ok' symbol got co-opted. I wish we ignored that bullshit.

That said, in this case, the way Americans worship the flag and have weaponized patriotism (NFL kneeling, the reaction to burning the flag, democrats hate the troops while they happily underfund the VA), and the revisionist history behind our founding fathers where the civil war wasn't about slavery in many textbooks...this is a hill im willing to die on. As a symbol it strikes closer to the debate we need to have than ok symbol, pepe, etc
What you gonna do if you see someone with these sneakers? Fight him or be normal and say those shoes are dope? Imo, anything comment other than dope is an abnormal repsonse.

I know it's posted all the time, but it really fits with the Woke brands narrative.

Making a decision that gets people riled up on social media is free marketing, not shocked to see them do this.

Can't watch the video, but flag colored shoes isn't new. And every business decision is based on money.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
What you gonna do if you see someone with these sneakers? Fight him or be normal and say those shoes are dope? Imo, anything comment other than dope is an abnormal repsonse.

You miss my point, its less about the sneakers than out the box people nipping it in the bud saying, 'These are offensive'.
Again, in a normal timeline, who gives a shit.
In this timeline where there's racism is regarded as an acceptable political belief, I don't put it past anyone. Like look how innoculous 'All Lives matter' is as a phrase and how now its a stand in for 'police brutality doesn't exist'

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
In this timeline where there's racism is regarded as an acceptable political belief, I don't put it past anyone. Like look how innoculous 'All Lives matter' is as a phrase and how now its a stand in for 'police brutality doesn't exist'

Yep.

People agressively dismissing this kind of discourse, nevermind if they agree with the merch retraction or not, are always sus.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
You miss my point, its less about the sneakers than out the box people nipping it in the bud saying, 'These are offensive'.
Again, in a normal timeline, who gives a shit.
Those that would be offended by these shoes are nuts, and the racists that would sport these shoes probably can't afford them. Those that worry about the optics are overanalyzing.

This controversy ain't worth the energy imo.

Disclaimer- I'd buy these.

Yep.

People agressively dismissing this kind of discourse, nevermind if they agree with the merch retraction or not, are always sus.
Nah, it's looking to be mad. I ain't going to stop you, but I disagree. I've been banned as a misogynist on here, and I disagreed at the time. I'm not whatever "supporting" this shoe makes me either.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Those that would be offended by these shoes are nuts, and the racists that would sport these shoes probably can't afford them. Those that worry about the optics are overanalyzing.

This controversy ain't the energy imo.

Disclaimer- I'd buy these.

So things like pepe, ok symbol, do you see a problem with those? Those are as innocuous on paper imho. Again, not saying the flag itself isn't a problem, but it's not hard to see a step or two forward and see it getting easily co-opted.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
They ain't too woke. They recently pulled some shit in Asia because the CHICOMS got offended by it.

Nike just wants your money.

Of course they do, and this is free marketing for them.

The video is great, you should give it a few minutes if you haven't already.

Why would racists be too poor to afford sneakers? College educated whites are one of the biggest groups voting for Trump, they have plenty of money.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
That's a big no from me. The Confederate flag is trash and represents hate. This flag doesn't represent that.

Mido

Oct 27, 2017
https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2019%2F06%2Fnike-air-max-1-fourth-of-july-release-info-cj4283-100-001-1.jpg

Well I would have bought them

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Yeah, not particularly offensive. If it is, then all versions are. We've had 50 stars while a lot of people are oppressed. And if all are offensive it takes away about how particularly offensive the Confederate battle flag is, which is a symbol of war to support slavery. The union flag isn't a symbol of atrocities, but like any large empire has baggage.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
So things like pepe, ok symbol, do you see a problem with those? Those are as innocuous on paper imho. Again, not saying the flag itself isn't a problem, but it's not hard to see a step or two forward and see it getting easily co-opted.
This is a reach. USWNT killing it. USMNT gonna bumble into the finals. Perfect time to cash in on the very shitty color scheme of red white and blue.

And anyone who says the shoes look bad, remind me never to follow ya fashion advice.

Big Hoops

Alt account
Banned
May 6, 2019
Also, they look like something Sonic the Hedgehog would wear in a Dreamcast era game. Just aesthetically offensive.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Of course we all know a flag of a colonialist white supremacist government isn't hateful in the least.
What shoes are you wearing that wasn't made by slave labor? If a shoe that has the flag on it represents everything bad about it, you got to have some 100% legit shoes.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I hope they still release the sneakers with out the flag because I like them. Also not like my jeans wouldn't be covering the flag 95% of the time anyway.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Why the fuck are people so attatched to the betsy ross flag? Its outdated and serves no purpose today outside of a reminder of a time when things were pretty shit for a large segment of america.

And before anyone says is, i know things are also shit now, but why add more shit baggage from the past? Is the betsy ross flag really that special?

Oct 25, 2017

That said, in this case, the way Americans worship the flag and have weaponized patriotism (NFL kneeling, the reaction to burning the flag, "democrats hate the troops" while they happily underfund the VA), and the revisionist history behind our founding fathers where the civil war wasn't about slavery in many textbooks...this is a hill im willing to die on. As a symbol it strikes closer to the debate we need to have than ok symbol, pepe, etc

But this isn't dealing with that (and the arguments against this flag can be used against every version of the American flag, including the current one, regardless.)

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
So you agree shit isn't black and white that can ground down to black and white. Good.

Some things are black or white, but it's not my fault if people turn a blind eye to the heinous shit done in the name of nationalism when rationalising their own sentiments.

"whats wrong with this flag" to "you probabaly have slave labour shoes" is such a ridiculous sequence of arguments.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

I mean the American flag has never been a symbol that represented people that look like Kap, lets be honest. How can you cede something that was never for you to begin with?

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
I mean the American flag has never been a symbol that represented people that look like Kap, lets be honest. How can you cede something that was never for you to begin with?
You're overthinkign it. This is isn't about representation, this is about fashion.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't do the 4th or Thanksgiving for similar reasons so I can't condemn the opinion of anyone that finds it offensive and it's an old flag anyway no need to rock it. Even if you don't find it offensive it's outdated who cares if they pull it?

Nike's reaction is weird to me though after the China thing like they are trying to buy more good guy credits.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this strikes me as unnecessary. Especially since it's the original 13-territory flag - unless I'm mistaken, no hate groups are really running with that as their symbol.

It's one thing to not wear/fly the flag, but insisting it's a symbol of hate is just giving a hot take for the sake of one.
I mean they were a hate group.

Master Of Illusion

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Inb4 "Anything symbolizing not leaving this continent uncharted by the white man is offensive" take.

Really REALLY overreaching here, buddy.