• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is the old American Flag offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 153 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 687 81.8%

• Total voters

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Betsy Ross flag

Flag_of_the_United_States_%281777-1795%29.svg

Cheap foreign sneaker by Nike
nike-air-max-1-independence-day-cj4283-100-5.jpg

Nike Inc. is yanking a U.S.A.-themed sneaker featuring an early American flag after former NFL star-turned-activist Colin Kaepernick told the company it shouldn't sell a shoe with a symbol that he and others consider offensive, according to people familiar with the matter.

The sneaker giant created the Air Max 1 USA in celebration of the July Fourth holiday, and it was slated to go on sale this week. The heel of the shoe featured a U.S. flag with 13 white stars in a circle, a design created during the American Revolution and commonly referred to as the Betsy Ross flag.

After shipping the shoes to retailers, Nike asked for them to be returned without explaining why, the people said. The shoes aren't available on Nike's own apps and websites.

"Nike has chosen not to release the Air Max 1 Quick Strike Fourth of July as it featured the old version of the American flag," a Nike spokeswoman said.

After images of the shoe were posted online, Mr. Kaepernick, a Nike endorser, reached out to company officials saying that he and others felt the Betsy Ross flag is an offensive symbol because of its connection to an era of slavery, the people said. Some users on social media responded to posts about the shoe with similar concerns. Mr. Kaepernick declined to comment.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Eh

I get the argument, but to me it seems like a reach
Yeah, this strikes me as unnecessary. Especially since it's the original 13-territory flag - unless I'm mistaken, no hate groups are really running with that as their symbol.

It's one thing to not wear/fly the flag, but insisting it's a symbol of hate is just giving a hot take for the sake of one.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, this strikes me as unnecessary. Especially since it's the original 13-territory flag - unless I'm mistaken, no hate groups are really running with that as their symbol.

It's one thing to not wear/fly the flag, but insisting it's a symbol of hate is just giving a hot take for the sake of one.

It's a tricky situation because symbols are complicated. But it has absolutely been co-opted by hate groups.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Is the old American Flag offensive? Sure. It doesn't matter to me if I literally never see that flag design again in my entire life.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can understand the sentiment, but by that argument the current flag also represents slavery which might not necessarily be incorrect, but I don't think you're going to find a lot of popular support for that opinion.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
It boggles my mind people would say an old American flag is offensive. The current flag is basically the same concept expect with more stars, so it also has a "connection to slavery."

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If that flag is a symbol for slavery, then current one is a symbol for nazism.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
But I mean, isn't it the same flag as the one we currently have. We just added more stars the more states we *acquired*

Like if we got DC and PR statehood we'd add two more

The 13 colonies are always repped on every version of the flag with the stripes as well. That hasn't changed

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If that flag is offensive then all flags are (or at least any flag of a nation over 100 years old), which could indeed be a valid argument.

Heinous oppression occurred under that flag, but the flag doesn't represent racism or oppression the way something like the confederate flag or swastika does.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's free to feel it represents whatever he believes it does.

It doesn't mean his view is correct, of course, and there's little reason for anyone besides Nike Corporate to give his views some extra authority beyond any other random person.

In the end, it's simply a corporation making moves for corporate considerations.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
It is literally the sysmbol for the begining of Slavery in America. When they shouted about freedom for every white land owning male and everyone else can eat shit

I mean I'm not denying that every flag and symbol from that era is from a time when slavery was rampant in the colonies

I just don't think they're all automatically offensive as a result. I wouldn't view someone wearing a shirt with the Betsy Ross the same way I would them wearing a confederate flag. If we want to remove all iconography and symbols from eras when slavery was rampant ..I think that's a massive overreaction, but I get why people think differently

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
LOL!

the present day flag is an evolution from the Betsy Ross flag which an evolution the British "Grand Union Flag"
300px-Flag_of_the_United_States_%281776%E2%80%931777%29.svg.png

if you hate the Betsy Ross flag then you should hate the 50 stars present day flag

220px-Flag_of_the_United_States_%281777-1795%29.svg.png

LOL

220px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png

I'm in the camp of "They are really OVER-REACHING" on this one because every subsequent US flag are additional stars of new added states

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
If that flag is offensive then all flags are (or at least any flag of a nation over 100 years old), which could indeed be a valid argument.

Heinous oppression occurred under that flag, but the flag doesn't represent racism or oppression the way something like the confederate flag or swastika does.
You forgetting Native Americans?

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
LOL!

the present day flag is an evolution from the Betsy Ross flag which an evolution the British "Grand Union Flag"
300px-Flag_of_the_United_States_%281776%E2%80%931777%29.svg.png

if you hate the Betsy Ross flag then you should hate the 50 stars present day flag

220px-Flag_of_the_United_States_%281777-1795%29.svg.png

LOL

220px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png

I'm in the camp of "They are really OVER-REACHING" on this one

The 4th of July is coming up. Maybe someone will now tell people that they should take down that 50 star flag that is a secret British flag.

Anyway, it all comes down to money and Nike isn't going to ban the 50 star flag from their shoes since that would likely cause a major backlash.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Ehhhhhhhh

Is Nike willing to come out and say 4th of July celebrations are racist by the same reasoning?

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Seems fine to me. Anything that gets us to stop glorifying our slaver Founding Fathers is a good move. A lot of black activists I know are just doing "Thanks for the BBQ" Day on the fourth since the whole 1776, rah rah rah, thing harkens back to a whitewashed version of the country back then.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
It's kinda like the pre-1965 flag of Canada, the Red Ensign, I guess.

T4k0dGq.png

There's nothing really offensive about the flag itself, but in the past few years far-right groups have been embracing it as a symbol of "white" Canada.

I am super happy withe The Maple Leaf / Unifolié
langfr-225px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.png

also the symbolism of the One Leaf representing all equally is a great symbol

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
this is a reach sorry

the sort of stuff that gives ammo to the people who fly legitimate garbage like the confederate flags with excuses like "oh look they attack all history"

The original 13 colonies is how the US started, not slavery. That existed before and after this flag. This is almost more of a symbol of the Union that fought against slavery

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
The bigoted shits who use it as propaganda to recruit more members.

So? Allowing them breathing room and letting them control what is "legitimate" cause for outrage before even engaging with the discussion is letting them win.

Tiptoeing around these fucks out of fear they will recruit more people is peak white moderate shit.

yeah, the problem with having the Union Jack defaced in the corner of the flag makes you feel really colonial and have no identity of your own.
Probably why White Supremacists are re-appropriating it. something something Make something Great Again.

I am super happy withe The Maple Leaf / Unifolié
langfr-225px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.png

also the symbolism of the One Leaf representing all equally is a great symbol

Don't get it twisted, still a symbol of a white majority colonialist society that did heinous shit under that flag.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems fine to me. Anything that gets us to stop glorifying our slaver Founding Fathers is a good move. A lot of black activists I know are just doing "Thanks for the BBQ" Day on the fourth since the whole 1776, rah rah rah, thing harkens back to a whitewashed version of the country back then.

This.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Worst part about this is how conservatives actually will adopt this now and politicize it in order to "own the libs".

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
new do it for the 'new' one

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Worst part about this is how conservatives actually will adopt this now and politicize it in order to "own the libs".

Nah, the worst part is people downplaying corporation banking on symbols of colonlialism and opression because they fear conservatives will try to own the libs if they point out the obvious.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Every version of the American flag is offensive.

I'll agree with this. If the Betsy Ross version of the flag is offensive, then every version of the flag is offensive, because they're ALL based off that version. The number of stars on it isn't a particularly good qualifier of whether it's racist or not.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
fuckin' dumb. It's for the 4th, the anniversary of the founding of the country. that was the flag at the time of the founding. like, what???

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Im with it.

Sad thing in the normal timeline I wouldn't care.

In this timeline...If anything the last few years has taught me is that you give ya local racist/fascist/nazi even a second of a benefit of doubt, suddenly you're overrun with those cockroaches. I can imagine Proud Boys making it their symbol while waving the flag, and Foxnews taking up the cause like 'See, the LEFT hates the US FLAG' while barely dogwhistling it as a symbol of hate. Spray painting a circle of stars on black churches and synagogues, etc