• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To tell small creators the "simplest way to protect their art" is to get in on the grift and thus propagate the grift is an obscenely predatory thing to say and doesn't help artists in any way. Pure scam artist shit.
And when their stuff is sold on Opensea, are you going to make them whole? Can someone pay bills with moral purity? I've spoken with artists who've lost customers/publishers after publicly getting into NFTs, but entering the field has opened up new sources of revenue, because there is a demand for 'legitimate' artists. There are also artists who segregate their NFT activities to avoid the social media backlash. And if all the legitimate artists abstain, then the field will have no one who cares about art and the crooks will just keep on stealing anyway. What has been gained by abstaining?

I mean I'm not a stranger to the anti-crowd.
antsstyle.medium.com

Why NFTs are bad: the long version

This is the in-depth follow up to this brief article:
note.com

Don't get into NFT art!|swmr

Preface Hello, this is a page made to briefly explain the dangers of NFT art, which is rapidly spreading in Asian countries, under consideration and discussion by individual parties with an interest in this topic. (This article was originally written by swmr (@sawamuradacun) in Japanese, prima
everestpipkin.medium.com

“BUT THE ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES WITH CRYPTOART WILL BE SOLVED SOON, RIGHT?”

Cryptocurrencies and NFTs are an absolute disaster for so many more reasons than the ecological.

I'm just skeptical of this strategy of "we're going to get really mad online, and cancel anyone who supports NFTs". It does not seem to have made a noticeable dent in the development of the industry, and these arguments have been floating around for years. I believe a strategy of entryism will be more effective in the long run.

The NFT future is coming regardless of what you do, you can try to influence it or leave it to the techbros and venture capitalists.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
The nice thing about NFTs that I can tell is that (outside of the environmental impact) you can completely ignore them if you want to.

Of course, the problem very much is the environmental impact. I will not stop beating that drum, cause it is not okay. It will have to be addressed one way or another, same as any major environments impact.

Once/if that is taken care of, I will stop complaining about it and let people continue to waste their money on whatever they want. It very much feels like a grift to me, but whatever. Exploring the concept of digital ownership and transference over time might end up being good long term and lay down some more concrete grounds for consumer rights and whatnot since it still very much feels like the Wild West sometimes.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In the future, NIKE will just airdrop tickets to buy their limited edition shoes to shoe NFT holders. It is actually a superior distribution method to whatever nonsense they do that gets botted all the time.

Last edited:

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
The nice thing about NFTs that I can tell is that (outside of the environmental impact) you can completely ignore them if you want to.

Corporations diving head first into a revenue stream that requires almost no effort will have consequences that can't be ignored. I wish what you said was true.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Lol. Too funny. I assume you dont have an iphone? Car? 401k? Investments? Laptop? Videogame console? Ok then. Tell yourself the same.
all of these are serving a purpose, while the extremely expensive, ethically questionable, world polluting serial number in the worst database ever made, losely associated to something that may or may not be available anymore next week doesn't.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Corporations diving head first into a revenue stream that requires almost no effort will have consequences that can't be ignored. I wish what you said was true.

Snake oil salesmen have been around a long time, and this is even less tangible of a benefit to buy to a lot of people. They have the right to make shitty "products" like this, environmental concerns notwithstanding.

Edit: I will say this though. The ability of large corporations to move collateral around that isn't properly regulated and thus can (attempt to) avoid regular consumer protections IS a problem that is likely to come up.

Last edited:

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I had the money and energy to read up on that shit, because it seems like there will be easy money made on these NFT sneakers, with how huge this sneaker collection market seems to be.

Oct 27, 2017
An NFT isn't a game asset. Buying an NFT of a sword doesn't grant you the ability to use it in Skyrim or Call of Duty. You don't even get the 3D model of the sword. You don't actually get anything, except a ledger entry that says you own a receipt for a digital sword. And it's not like other people can't just...copy that sword. Because you don't own the sword, or rights to the sword, or the ability to do anything useful with the sword.
if only this people was smarter than this...

smh-icegif-11.gif

no wonder companies are foaming at the mouths whats better than MXT .....MXT that are nothing not even and ingame item....

and ppl are stupid enough to buy "nothing" and think they bought something...

dies-from-cringe-voldemort.gif

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
when is Walmart and Target getting into the NFT business?

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Well it was bound to happen. It's consumerism at its ultimate form. People don't buy stuff because they need it, they buy stuff to show off. It's the same as collections really if you think about it.

NFTs are sad sure but think about all the huge piles of crap we collect and feel good about them while they just shit there without benefiting us in any way.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
So do any of these companies use the more environmentally friendly blockchains/NFTs or do they just go with what's popular and completely irresponsible like ETH?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Who is paying for this stuff? Feels like my most boomer moment yet.
  1. The same type of people who went bonkers for Beanie Babies / comic books.
  2. Other NFT enthusiasts just shuffling money around to make the system look functional to outsiders.
  3. Literally the same person buying something they already own from themselves at a higher price to artificially inflate the value and maybe get in the news.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I literally come into these threads now not because of the NFTs (because I think that shit be stupid) but to see what inevitable replies will come from you and one or two other choice users/mods.

We get it - you don't like NFTs (same here!) and all of crypto (ok, maybe not me but w/e)

You're letting this shit live rent free in your head; just ignore it and move on. Guaranteed that other companies will be announcing stuff like this in the future, don't let it get to you.

I have some choice opinions about MCU Spider-Man and the Star Wars sequels but you don't see me posting about it in every single thread because who gives a fuck what I think about something that's been discussed to death?
Yeah, a couple of dumb Hollywood movies are exactly in the same category of things to be concerned about as a booming technology that is literally speeding up the ecological collapse of civilization. /s

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
Urrgh, I really don't like this idea and I had to look up what NFT meant. I suppose it's a 'you do you' case though. INstructions for a bunch of pixels stored on a server somewhere...whodathunk it? Cant wait for contraband.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Urrgh, I really don't like this idea and I had to look up what NFT meant. I suppose it's a 'you do you' case though. INstructions for a bunch of pixels stored on a server somewhere...whodathunk it? Cant wait for contraband.

NFTs aren't even the instructions for the pixels, though. Those are stored on a regular old server.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I literally come into these threads now not because of the NFTs (because I think that shit be stupid) but to see what inevitable replies will come from you and one or two other choice users/mods.

We get it - you don't like NFTs (same here!) and all of crypto (ok, maybe not me but w/e)

You're letting this shit live rent free in your head; just ignore it and move on. Guaranteed that other companies will be announcing stuff like this in the future, don't let it get to you.

I have some choice opinions about MCU Spider-Man and the Star Wars sequels but you don't see me posting about it in every single thread because who gives a fuck what I think about something that's been discussed to death?
If the prospect of these people getting the future they want doesn't terrify you then you might not have looked into it enough.

The NFT metaverse people are advocating for will amplify all of the problems with trend chasing, social media and commodification, and we're having enough problems with them as it is.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
As a former collector of expensive digital Veblen goods, I can proudly say that at least buying my bullshit didn't harm the environment.

all I can hope is that some companies stand up against NFTs. Valve banning NFT games on Steam was a good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.