• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017

According to Nihon Falcom's latest financials report, the company has announced that the game will release sometime before September 2020. Additionally, Falcom has plans to release remastered titles for the PlayStation 4

The financial report also notes that the series has sold over 4.3 million units worldwide.

Falcom president Toshihiro Kondo expressed that he would like to bring the older games in the Trails series to PlayStation 4.

tumblr_p2i9s0oc951qjvkxgo1_400.png

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Another exciting fact is that Falcoms revenue in the West has rapidly increased, even despite the delay of Trails of cold steel 3 to next fiscal year. Now over 16% of their sales comes from NA/EU.
The PS4 ports of Trails of cold steel 1/2 and switch port of Ys 8 must have done really well.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I wish the Zero/Ao Evo versions these will likely be didn't have the new art. I'd like a version of Ao that doesn't pay extra attention tot he bullshit groping scene.

PS4 versions would probably mean localization would be feasible. If possible, it might be beneficial to have XSEED do those games, while NIS handles new releases.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
I'm guessing in Japan. Hopefully we get them too though I imagine we'll get Cold Steel IV first.

I'd love all of Sky, Crossbell and Steel on my PS4. Edit: I'd like them on Switch and PC too for other people I should clarify ha ha.
I agree, and I think Falcom aims to put all their games on PS4 library, in Japan and in the West. Backwards compatibility of PS5 promises them a constant stream of revenue.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Wish for ports from nisa for cold steel 3+4(+5?) while i slowly play cs3 on ps4.

I fear the remasters are the Sky ps3 remasters but on ps4 lol but we will see and i am not interested on old titles (i played crossbell arc already) and i prefer for falcom(and nisa also) to work on new arcs and titles.

Courious to see next trails and hopefully next arc will come to some portable form (stadia, Sony streaming or switch)

Last edited:

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Glad for them !

I will buy Trails of Cold Steel III if it's on sale during Dec/Jan, no time to play it for now

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The new title will almost definitely be the 'Trails in the Sky the Third'-ish one that reuses a bunch of assets and focuses on tying up loose ends and characters that didn't get much time to shine that they mentioned a while back. I think this is meant to be character art from it:

Kiseki-Art_03-24-19_001-600x338.jpg
Kiseki-Art_03-24-19_002-600x338.jpg

Apparently it's a new engine? Iunno, that would be weird, since they split into two teams now.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I expect a Thirdish game that will bookend the current games and open things up.

I assume that means Azure and Zero or Sky trilogy on PS4?

I sure hope so.
Structurally, remakes and ports are bound to happen, if only because the series relies on/is better enjoyed with knowledge of past games, so on the console side, older games can't be stuck on dead platforms forever.
PC usually means a game is accessible on at least one current platform, but there's the particular case of Azure, which is only available in Japan on PSP and Vita, its PC port being Chinese only. So that rerelease is bound to happen.

OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
And by the time they bring the older games to PS4, the PS5 will be in full swing.

Oh you guys!
Not a problem with PS5's backwards compability. Falcom is not using 100% of PS4's power anyway (especially for remasters like Zero/Ao no Kiseki) so strict PS5 release wouldn't really add anything.

Just make sure the title runs fine on PS5's BC.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Not a problem with PS5's backwards compability. Falcom is not using 100% of PS4's power anyway (especially for remasters like Zero/Ao no Kiseki) so strict PS5 release wouldn't really add anything.

Just make sure the title runs fine on PS5's BC.

CS III and IV run terribly, so it'd be interesting to see if the PS5 didn't have the same framerate drops in major cutscenes.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
For a fuller picture, a majority of their earnings are coming from overseas licensing and mobile.
western sales is about 16% this year, that's barely a majority. They will always have a domestic focus.
The new title will almost definitely be the 'Trails in the Sky the Third'-ish one that reuses a bunch of assets and focuses on tying up loose ends and characters that didn't get much time to shine that they mentioned a while back. I think this is meant to be character art from it:

Kiseki-Art_03-24-19_001-600x338.jpg
Kiseki-Art_03-24-19_002-600x338.jpg

Apparently it's a new engine? Iunno, that would be weird, since they split into two teams now.
the new engine thing was a mistranslation/hoax based on a blurry screenshot of kondo showing a printed screenshot on a dengeki stream. Falcom jumping on a new engine would be very hard to imagine, it would have large ramifications on their release schedule when starting up.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Sen The 5th. I expect a dungeon crawler.

So you want a Brandish-Kiseki game? I expect something like The 3rd for the next game which explain some plot questions and tease the new arc.
I would be happy it they port Zero/Ao on modern platforms, I played with the fan-translation patch and it's great! Now we must wait their next shareholders meeting in december, Kondo will surely says some word for Nihon Falcom new projects.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The fact Falcon is still hesitant to bring their games to the west/pc/switch is super frustrating. They should be bigger and more profitable then they currently are. Glad to see they're trending in the right direction for now.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
I suppose these remasters and new title (not new arc) will be cash in support for ps5 development (with ps4 tech lol)

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
So you want a Brandish-Kiseki game? I expect something like The 3rd for the next game which explain some plot questions and tease the new arc.
I would be happy it they port Zero/Ao on modern platforms, I played with the fan-translation patch and it's great! Now we must wait their next shareholders meeting in december, Kondo will surely says some word for Nihon Falcom new projects.

I mean The 3rd.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Grats to Falcom. I'll try to get into the Cold Steel games again one day - I just keep bouncing off of them. But I'm glad they exist as they clearly mean a lot to many people and are keeping Falcom in the profit. I do love everything else they do and want them all on PS4 and in English.

P.S I've been slowly working my way through the Japanese version of Ys IX and it's great. Please hurry up and bring it westward Falcom. I want to give you money for it all over again.

I also heard this sound as I opened the thread.

Oh and Brandish on PS4 pretty please.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I hope they upped their graphics/art direction for future games...

Atelier Ryza even have better thighs & colors than Ys IX, in my opinion.

atlans89

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping the next arc doesn't take 5 games.

Pretty sure Cold Steel 3 just took part of my lifespan away.
Kondo said he want to limit each arc to be 2 games only, but who can tell how will it turn out.
Based on the screenshots it looks like the next game is just more Cold Steel related things. Maybe we'll get Calvard after that.
New arc often take 2-3 years to release - Kondo did mention this before. And Calvard might be to big of an arc to be followed immediately after Erebonia. It's likely smth close to Crossbell imo.
I hope they upped their graphics/art direction for future games...

Atelier Ryza even have better thighs & colors than Ys IX, in my opinion.
Gust is now backed by Koei Tecmo, their resource is more abundant than ever. Can't expect Falcom makes that big leap in short time.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Playing through Sen 4 right now after a year break, love the series.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
The fact Falcon is still hesitant to bring their games to the west/pc/switch is super frustrating. They should be bigger and more profitable then they currently are. Glad to see they're trending in the right direction for now.
What Is changing?
Their strategy Is always the same.
Swap nisa for xseed and everything Is like before.
One big title for year (ys than trails than ys and so on) and some ports (we had evo on vita, Sky on ps3, cs1+2 so far on ps4).

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Falcon would pressure NISA to release PS4 ports of Crossbell (and probably port to PC). We know they pressured XSEED to do CS and saw what happened when a partner declined to work with them on a project - they dumped XSEED for not doing Tokyo Xanadu.

Hard to imagine NISA being enthusiastic about working on ports of the old games since they probably won't sell well, but will still be huge projects. Most newcomers to the series seem to want to skip the pre-CS games no matter how much they are encouraged not to.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Ys VIII Switch is the only licensed title they included and the second one listed in their Primary Titles for the year. It must have done exceptionally for them, not even any PC or mobile games are named here.