• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
NIH scientist says coronavirus vaccine could be available by the fall
From CNN's Adrienne Vogt

A vaccine for coronavirus may be ready for use by emergency workers sometime this autumn, according to Dr. Kizzmekia Corbett, the National Institute of Health's lead scientist for coronavirus vaccine research.
Corbett said that the vaccine could be ready for use by front-line health care workers as soon as this fall and for the global population by next spring. Her team is currently testing the safety of the vaccine in the first phase, and then will test its effectiveness in subsequent phases.
"We're targeting fall for the emergency use. … And then for the general population, our target goal is for next spring — and that is, if all things go well and if these phase one, phase two and phase three clinical trials work simultaneously for the good, our plan is to have people vaccinated all over the world by next spring," she told CNN's Anderson Cooper and Dr. Sanjay Gupta.
Vaccine development is typically a long process, and Corbett said that her team has actually been working on a coronavirus vaccine for years already.
"We've researched coronavirus vaccine development for the last 7 years — particularly under my direction, the team has researched this coronavirus development for 5 years. And so coming into the onset of this pandemic, we had an idea about what we wanted to do as far as the design of the vaccine," Corbett said.

www.cnn.com

Coronavirus news and live updates: Cases near 2 million globally - CNN

The coronavirus pandemic continues to spread across the world. Follow here for live updates.

Just wanted to post some good/ promising news on here.

EDIT: can Mods please update title to include "for emergency health workers"?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would legit cry if this happened.

But I'm not getting my hopes up.

Also the quote you posted is important:

"We're targeting fall for the emergency use. … And then for the general population, our target goal is for next spring — and that is, if all things go well and if these phase one, phase two and phase three clinical trials work simultaneously for the good, our plan is to have people vaccinated all over the world by next spring," she told CNN's Anderson Cooper and Dr. Sanjay Gupta.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Having all of the medical teams around the world protected, would feel like a beautiful and satisfying "fuck you" to coronavirus.

Guzim

Oct 25, 2017
Even next spring would be amazing. I hope this can happen. I miss seeing my family and friends.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
This would just mean a sacrifice on the strict time requirements they have on validated vaccines wouldn't it?

We'd be taking a shot at hoping that 12-18+ month were still effective, which the vaccine would not be able to guarentee for first year patients.

Seems risky but you gotta try something.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to think this is possible given modern technology and the massive need to get this done. We haven't had a reason to push for a vaccine at this rate in a very very long time and, surely, there will be lots of money and effort poured into this. I'm hopeful that the best of mankind can solve this problem faster than ever before.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well you have a race of people trying
To find a Vaccine, the race to save lives and gain Billions

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Great if this comes into fruition.

For anyone wanting to keep track of all the vaccines currently in development, see below:
This tracker, developed by the Vaccine Centre at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, will follow COVID-19 vaccine candidates as they progress through the development pipeline. We will update it monthly.
An overview of the different vaccine types as well as the phases of clinical development is provided in the Summary tab.

If you know of a vaccine candidate in active development that is not included, please contact [email protected].

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
The biggest reason why they can is that this group has been researching a Corona vaccine for 5 years now but never had a reason before to really push testing and release so they got a huge head start over others.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Available in fall for emergency cases is actually within the timeline, but at that stage the vaccine is still very risky.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
i think there are 2 or 3 ready for phase 2 this fall aren't there? One in the North America (can't remember if it was US or Canada) and one in Europe (this one i assume?) at the least... i think one in China is already in phase 2. Generally phase 2 is still a study phase though right? You'd have to make some exceptions and get some really good results to push a phase 2 vaccine to health care workers. I'm not lining up for any phase 2 vaccine.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
What about immediate treatment based on new drugs, any advancement there? I know we've been testing existing drugs but just wondering if we're creating new ones.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Title is deceiving. The article strikes me as bad news, in that we'll be dealing with this shit for another year.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
What about immediate treatment based on new drugs, any advancement there? I know we've been testing existing drugs but just wondering if we're creating new ones.

it is tough to create a new drug, even HIV took several years, but then this is a crisis, and some company discovering an antiviral cocktail for covid19 would rake billions so the incentive is there

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Reporting shit like this is deeply irresponsible and undermines efforts by governments to instill people with the seriousness of this pandemic. Don't make promises you can't keep

Last edited:

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
This level of attention, funding and urgency is unprecedented, especially given the truly extraordinary circumstances.

I would not at all be surprised if there is a vaccine for some (or even a large) segment of the population before the year's end.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Better than some of the 18-24 month projections that were being floated out there.

the article still says next spring which is around that period

for emergency use possibly for this fall means the one getting the vaccine knows the risks involved

would you take the risk of getting a vaccine that did not go through the proper phases? :(

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Where can I pre-order? I hope there's a collectors edition

If you are not a health worker, you can still preorder in Beijing , the only place where there's a phase 2 trial in recruiting.
2 vaccines are ongoing in the USA, phase 1.

there are 67 vaccines in pre-clinical.

I'll quote myself from the covid thread for the rest

For information about vaccines.
The first Chinese vaccine has entered Phase 2 of clinical trials, Beijing, China. Trial started april 12th, will end January 1st 2021.

a new vaccine has entered Phase 1 clinical trials in Kansas City (Missouri) and Philadelphia (Pennsylvania) , USA -> started april 3rd, completion : November 2020

reminder. the other Phase 1 clinical trial is in
Decatur (Georgia), Bethesda(Maryland), Seattle(Washington) , USA -> started March 3rd, completion: June 2021.

Reminder: there are 4 phases in clinical development:
Phase 1: small (tens) -> we are blind, what does our lab engineered stuff really does in humans ? result => better understanding of the dynamics, the production rate of antibodies, and tolerability
Phase 2: medium (hundreds) -> ok we see more clearly, are the results consistent when expanded to larger group, do we need boosters ? What's the best dose ? Is it Safe ? => we know if it produces the desired effect, confirm absence of major toxicity, get an optimal dose and administration
Phase 3: large (thousands) => ok, scale it up, thousands of people (up to 80000+), is it stil safe ? => APPROVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL !!! BUBYE SARS-COV2
Phase 4: usage & long term effects => real life data, surveillance (pharmacovogilence)

Of the others in pre-clinical , a French laboratory will start Phase 1 in early S2... but we've not been told which one will start first... most likely Sanofi, but unsure.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't going to happen. The research timeframes are in place for a reason : so that people don't just start dropping dead en masse because of an issue with the vaccine. They need to stop publishing crap like this. It's incredibly irresponsible.

Dec 31, 2017
Would be great even if it is only for emergency workers for the fall, but it says broader population applicability would still be next spring, if everything goes as planned - maybe title should be updated.

I really hope this timeline is true though either way.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't going to happen. The research timeframes are in place for a reason : so that people don't just start dropping dead en masse because of an issue with the vaccine. They need to stop publishing crap like this. It's incredibly irresponsible.

exactly, Phase 2 takes a very long time to finish, because you do not know the exact dosage yet, like mixing ingredients to bake a cake, and waiting for it cook if it is flat or not

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Where can I pre-order? I hope there's a collectors edition

For 200$ you get a mask which will look nice on your shelf.

I think it comes with an artbook with all the covid memes too.

exactly, Phase 2 takes a very long time to finish, because you do not know the exact dosage yet, like mixing ingredients to bake a cake, and waiting for it cook if it is flat or not

mmm cake-flavored vaccine.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yep, the vaccine research cannot be rushed for human safety reasons. I would also question who at the NIH is allowing one of their scientists to publicly give irresponsible news out like this.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From what I understand it is somewhat possible to "rush" elements of the vaccine process due to having some previous vaccines for other corona virus research. This has a lot of asterisks next to it and is far from certain, but theoretically possible.

OP
OP
Mar Tuuk

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
Yep, the vaccine research cannot be rushed for human safety reasons. I would also question who at the NIH is allowing one of their scientists to publicly give irresponsible news out like this.
Though it says her team have been developing this for 7 years, I agree it shouldn't be rushed.