• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

We are who we choose to be—now choose:

• Open-world forever

Votes: 1,004 75.4%
  • Multiplayer forever

Votes: 327 24.6%

• Total voters

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Can I have the 3rd option of just banishing the genie to the shadow realm?

Ehhh I guess I'd rather have forced multiplayer over forced open worlds for everything.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
My favorite game of all-time (Quake 1) is a game I played almost exclusively in multiplayer and this is still the easiest choice in the world. Forced multiplayer in every game might actually be the one thing to get me to stop playing games.

Meanwhile almost every open world system out there has at least the option to just beeline through the main quest line pretty linearly if you really aren't interested in side quests, world exploration and other activities. And while it's less focused than a standard linear story game, it's still not a great leap. That difference is often largely visual where the smaller scope, "corridor" games have the opportunity for concentrated visual quality, but some open world games also look superb and have the writing quality to match anything.

So I don't really see much of a dilemma here, personally. Easy choice, nightmare genie.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
Multiplayer since devs can just tack on Leaderboards or something like what the Souls games have that will have little impact on the game. Random player phantoms appearing in Mario? Sure why not.

Open World will always fundamentally change the design.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I have to chose multiplayer, because otherwise there would be no multiplayer games at all. I only play a handful of multiplayer games, and only with friends, but I enjoy them too much to lose that, it's the only way I'll talk to some of my friends.

Unless... Maybe if I can convince all of my friends to play various table top games... Loop hole.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Open world. I'd rather have unlimited games that are kinda samey than unlimited games that I will never ever play.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All open world I wouldn't like

All multiplayer I'd leave gaming

Kinda makes it an easy choice.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I hate when other people have the ability to dictate how much fun I have or what my experience is in a game.

Open world would get boring, but at least I'd be the one in control.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Multiplayer/open-world is unavoidable while playing. You are always engaging with the one chosen—there's no point at which the open-world games feel like linear experiences, or no point where multiplayer isn't affecting your game.
Teabagged from kids or invaded by kids. I guess I'll do board games a whole lot more with some multiplayer.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Open world for sure.

You can make an open world that just serves the main story, whereby there is a clear golden path that is well curated and not different to a SP game. The open world functioning as background noise.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Both are nightmarish to me, but I'd take open-world and it's not even close. I can't stand any forced-MP games, I play games to chill and explore at my own pace, I don't need other people forcing me to do stuff.

sanityislost

Oct 21, 2021
Open world all the way, most of my favorite games are open world. I avoid all multiplayer except the occasional mmo. Cant stand games like COD

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Multiplayer.

All the previously single player games will work like Souls, in the sense you can summon friends and be invaded. You can't turn it off so it will be mandatory. Thread puzzle solved : )

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Open world, only cause you can bend it to play more traditional. Also you can still have single/multi. Multiplayer only is too limiting and often multiplayer games aren't very linear, so might as well go open world anyways.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Play every game with my wife? Sign me up. Not a big fan of most open world games so easy choice.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I am ASTOUNDED open-world is winning.

Every game having multiplayer still leaves room open for so much possibility, so many genres, so many types of game. Every game being open-world narrows the possibility space by so much more.
99% if the time multiplayer means competitive gameplay. I suck at PVP. Give me a solitary experience every time.

OP
OP
Spring-Loaded

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Both are nightmarish to me, but I'd take open-world and it's not even close. I can't stand any forced-MP games, I play games to chill and explore at my own pace, I don't need other people forcing me to do stuff.

Have you played Sky: Children of the Light? That's a heavily online game but it was really chill and nice. The online interactions involved holding hands while flying and lighting one another's candles.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather die. They'd might as well just shoot me right then and there if those are my only options.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Gimme open world Pikmin.
Multiplayer Pikmin is also good, but I don't want puzzles designed for two players.

I'm imagining open work fighters/racers just work like Diddy Kong Racing.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I am ASTOUNDED open-world is winning.

Every game having multiplayer still leaves room open for so much possibility, so many genres, so many types of game. Every game being open-world narrows the possibility space by so much more.
Yeah, how the heck is this winning

You've basically killed a bunch of genres in favor of one, opposed to just making all of the existing ones worse.

Last edited:

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
can you play the mp games alone? if so, that
According to the rules in the OP, if you go MP, it is unavoidable. You must play with (and/or against) other players.
Also playing alone violates the spirit of the question. You're either giving up the "solo experience", or you're giving up non-open world game design.

And they don't seem mutually exclusive from the wording, so I'd go open world. You still get MP games when you want them, and linear games can be adapted to an open world format. Choosing MP means completely giving up the solo gaming experience, which I'm not willing to do.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

You've basically killed a bunch of genres in favor of one, opposed to just making all of the existing ones worse.

Open world isn't a genre, Disco Elysium and A Short Hike are both open world

Meanwhile being forced to play with other people would ruin most SP games and even games with optional MP

ramenline

Jan 9, 2019
open world unless you mean strictly ubisoft style open world.

i mean the og legend of zelda and something like hyper light drifter is open worldish in the sense that you can go in any direction at the start. there are small gated areas at times but even regular ow games have gated off areas for certain events. shit like fortnite and minecraft have an open world, they count in my book too

also, you can go to dungeons in ow games and those can be big linear ones so its not like linear game design would absolutely die

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Open world isn't a genre, Disco Elysium and A Short Hike are both open world

Meanwhile being forced to play with other people would ruin most SP games and even games with optional MP
It is absolutely a genre. Just because it can be used in tandem with others like RPG doesn't mean it's not.

And it's not like open world mechanics wouldn't ruin most SP games either. Like, how would forcing open world mechanics not immediately erase basically every 2D indie game?

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019

You could take any game that would be the least thing applicable to open world and make it so anyway. It really just involves creating a large world and then having the character go around to different areas.

You could do that with Tetris and just have a player-controlled tetromino just hopping around getting into tetris fights.

BlueBrand

Oct 28, 2017
I can see multiplayer being much more exciting and interesting space to play in than everything being open world.

Seeing multiplayer work in games like Death Stranding and Forza show that having extra people in your world is not always a detriment and in many cases is barely noticeable, and in most cases adds to the experience without you even realising it.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Multiplayer. Way more multiplayer games I like. I like 3 open world games, 4 if we are counting Shadow of Chernobyl as one.

Every other open world game is straight up mediocre.

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
"Open World" is technically a very broad category that can encompass many other things (and can still allow for multiplayer), so I guess that.

In any case, I think those two options being presented as "nightmare choices" says a lot about the demographic of these forums =P.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
You could take any game that would be the least thing applicable to open world and make it so anyway. It really just involves creating a large world and then having the character go around to different areas.

You could do that with Tetris and just have a player-controlled tetromino just hopping around getting into tetris fights.
This feels like it's a cheat that's against the spirit of the question. That's not an open world game, that's a really large level select screen/lobby system.

As someone else mentioned, you could similarly cheat by adding in a a basic ghost system, leader boards, or Dark Souls message system and call it asynchronus multiplayer.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
OW is generally my favorite approach to game and world design, so that'd be more like a dream come true than a nightmare lol. Every game being linear and more or less on rails would be the real nightmare for me, and probably make me quit the hobby altogether.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
I mean I'm 100% in favor in favor of the idea of making every game ever have co-op support even if the game isn't balanced around it or even if it doesn't make story sense for there to be a second player. Like you could just make the second player an exact copy of the first player just in a different color shirt and I'd be fine with that. But I dunno how I'd feel about the concept of having all games be multiplayer ONLY. If I was playing a story heavy game, I'd probably want to be playing through with the same person all the way through, meaning I'd have to schedule time with that specific person every time I wanted to play the game.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I like the idea of more open world multiplayer games but if i had to pick one or the other i would go with open world as i prefer them to linear and i only really dabble in coop multiplayer.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
This feels like it's a cheat that's against the spirit of the question. That's not an open world game, that's a really large level select screen/lobby system.

As someone else mentioned, you could similarly cheat by adding in a a basic ghost system, leader boards, or Dark Souls message system and call it asynchronus multiplayer.

Dark Souls if it was mandatory multiplayer would certainly fall in line with this question. But you can play it offline.

And it's no cheat. What are we defining open world as? My view is that no genre is necessarily blocked out because you can envision an open world framework for any of them, from 3-match games to sudoku.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Multiplayer has way more variety in genres. Kirby and the forgotten Land, Tetris 99, FFXIV, PlateUp, and Wildermyth are all MP games. Much better than everything becoming the same often bloated genre.

People aren't thinking of what all MP can mean.

Yes, but the multiplayer is mandatory. So with a game such as Kirby and the Forgotten Land, it wouldn't even be playable without a second player. It makes redundant all single-player games with optional co-op as the co-op portion is no longer optional. As someone who pretty much always plays solo, a lot of games are now off the table. I'd be forced into the open-world selection.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Can I still crit path those open world games in a reasonable amount of time? Even if it takes 100 hours, I guess I'd still rather have that. Haven't played MP anything since Overwatch, Rocket League, and Dead by Daylight back in 2015/6... and I didn't play any of those for very long.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Multiplayer is 100% the lesser evil. Gives a lot more freedom in choice, far less limiting. Open world has to be designed heavily for/around. Multiplayer can be grafted onto a game far easier, and with a lot more options.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
There are so many amazing multiplayer games. Only a few Open World games that worked for me and even then I get burned out on them. Do better Nightmare Genie.

Also multiplayer games can do what something like FFXIV does where there's still a focus on the story. Maybe we'd just see a lot better MMO content.

Last edited: