• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jul 7, 2021
My bet is on Quake II and Wolfenstein 3-D; both have anniversaries this year. Maybe the latter contains the higher resolution assets of the later versions (OS and Jaguar)

HollowDash

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
100% one of them is Quake 2. Sonic Mayhem (the composer of the soundtrack) pretty much kinda confirmed in a YouTube comment that he was remastering the OST for a special ocassion.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
You would need to make Capstone game from scratch for it to be good.

Bethesda's Terminator Future Shock/Skynet would be great though.

Haha I liked Witchaven! Quite memorable as a kid. At the time I was playing every FPS I could find even if just shareware.

The Terminator games for sure.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Dark forces & Hexen pls

Still have my weirdly shaped Hexen towers of darkness box somewhere

Last edited:

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I think Dark Forces is the only one of them, that I would actually play, if remastered.

Oct 25, 2017
My guess would be Heretic/Hexen/Quake
Makes sense to me because they are all owned by Microsoft.

It's definitely not Duke Nukem, Half Life, Goldeneye, Powerslave, Chasm or Blood cause they all already got remakes

idk who would want to play Marathon these days
They can't be dumb enough to remake original Shadow Warrior
Doom and Wolfenstein don't need any sort of remaster, they still run perfectly and there's not a lot you can do with them
Dark Forces sounds tough because of the FMV

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I wish they would look at more modern remasters. For example Condemned 2 and The Darkness native on modern platforms.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
I wish they would look at more modern remasters. For example Condemned 2 and The Darkness native on modern platforms.

I have no idea how any of the licensing works but my wish-upon-a-star pick for a relatively more modern FPS remaster would be F.E.A.R., especially cause it's mechanically timeless. Bring the visuals up to par and mostly keep everything else intact and it's like the best shooter around in 2022+.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'll take as many of these as I can get

I missed out on most of these at the time as I never played on PC

I played Quake last year and had a blast with it, so I'd be up for 2 for sure

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Hexen and Heretic should be a no brainer, they alredy have the engine running for them. Hexen 2 should be too but sadly that's not on the list.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd take Half Life as well, I'd prefer a Nightdive version of the first game over any remakes anyway

I know their work on the Turok games is well regarded, but how are the actual games? I know 2 got good reviews at the time, but it also sounded like you basically needed a guide to know where to go in the huge levels

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I wouldn't say no to a Nightdive version of Half-Life, but Black Mesa is already a very high quality version of that, so it's way down the list compared to some of these possibilities.

Hexen and Heretic should be easy as mentioned above. Quake 2 is very likely too, I'm down for that. I'd definitely be excited for Dark Forces, especially if that led into work being done on the entire Kyle Katarn series.

Unreal Tournament would be great to see as a remaster, though I imagine that'd be stuck on EGS if done, which would suck for me at least.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they could fix Quake before moving on to new projects.
The remaster did some good, but:
  1. Dropped the tickrate from 72Hz to 60Hz.
  2. Doesn't interpolate that properly, so it's only smooth at multiples of 60 now, unlike every other modern source-port that runs smooth at any FPS.
The latter is a problem since televisions are (generally) 120Hz, which means they have to be limited to something below 120 FPS for low latency with VRR; e.g. 110 FPS.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
They're not mentioned here, but I'd love to see attempts on the Jedi Knight/Mysteries of the Sith games. I remember them being overly ambitious and wild with how big the levels could go, and the first one had a branching campaign that featured its own levels.

This all happened in the early days of 3d fps games so they weren't shy to experiment with what could and couldn't work.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love Quake 2. I only ever played the N64 version and had no idea how different the other versions were until I saw the Digital Foundry Retro on it.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Wasn't there something involving Hexen in the news recently? Can't remember if it was a new port, remaster, or what. But something Hexen. And there have been rumors about Quake for awhile, so I'd guess those two at least.

Hoping it's GoldernEye

I still want a remake of it but I guess a remaster would be enough for now

Goldeneye has been done for awhile. It's just pending official announcement and release.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
After their incredible port of Powerslave I am 100% in on any remaster Nightdive put out.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Dammit, I want almost all of those games...

Row 1 = Duke Nukem 3d
Row 2 = Rise of the Triad
Row 3 = Hexen (Would pick Goldeneye 64, but we know it already exists)
Row 4 = Quake II
Row 5 = Heretic II (Technically they list the first Heretic; but fuck it - I want the second one!)

Didn't we already get a Rise of the Triad remaster? I thought I read about it a year or 2 ago.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
Didn't we already get a Rise of the Triad remaster? I thought I read about it a year or 2 ago.

Sure did, but it was nearly a decade ago now.

store.steampowered.com

Rise of the Triad on Steam

Apogee Software and Interceptor Entertainment proudly present the rebirth of the cult-classic first-person shooter, “Rise of the Triad”. Bigger, better and more ludicrous than ever before.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My bet is on Quake II and Wolfenstein 3-D; both have anniversaries this year. Maybe the latter contains the higher resolution assets of the later versions (OS and Jaguar)
Quake 2 would be fantastic.

The Quake 1 remake's splitscreen couch-coop is a blast and the gamepad controls work really well. Would love to have the same for Q2.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
They tried for a long time to do NOLF. However, that went through all sorts of hell due to the rights being spread across numerous groups (WB owns Monolith, Fox is owned by Disney, Sierra by Acti/MS) and basically hit a wall at some point trying to do it.

So even with the merge, that's still MS, Disney, and WB/Monolith that have to get into an agreement. It's a similar reason why AVP 2 was never re-released, even though AVP 1 did. At this point, you'd either need a really big entity pushing for it or for someone at WB be to be more open (I vaguely recall they were a big roadblock)

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Sure did, but it was nearly a decade ago now.

store.steampowered.com

Rise of the Triad on Steam

Apogee Software and Interceptor Entertainment proudly present the rebirth of the cult-classic first-person shooter, “Rise of the Triad”. Bigger, better and more ludicrous than ever before.

That one mimics the original in a few ways but it's really just a different game with the same name, like Doom (2016).

That's the remaster.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Dropped the tickrate from 72Hz to 60Hz.
This is often repeated and is lacking so much context, and in some part outright wrong. Some background, Quake was originally capped at 72hz because of bad integer rounding (it's actually supposed to be 70hz, the same speed of a 320x200 VGA mode), however it doesn't actually run at this speed. It's real framerate was adaptive, and was actually tied to your framerate (so is why the demos look so janky, they were recorded at a much lower framerate). As your average display ran at a multiple of 60hz nowadays, it would have had to have been capped to this anyway, and letting run passed 60hz in the simulation caused tremendous physics issues (the player getting gibbed by lifts was a surprisingly common issue), so the renderer interpolates this making up the difference.

Any limitation passed this is a symptom of netquake itself, which yes is unavoidable to use. QuakeWorld changed the player physics completely (and frankly most of the engine) making it unsuitable for singleplayer, which was the key focus. There's generally nothing to fix here without taking many years rewriting Quake itself.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
They tried for a long time to do NOLF. However, that went through all sorts of hell due to the rights being spread across numerous groups (WB owns Monolith, Fox is owned by Disney, Sierra by Acti/MS) and basically hit a wall at some point trying to do it.

So even with the merge, that's still MS, Disney, and WB/Monolith that have to get into an agreement. It's a similar reason why AVP 2 was never re-released, even though AVP 1 did. At this point, you'd either need a really big entity pushing for it or for someone at WB be to be more open (I vaguely recall they were a big roadblock)

Hopefully MS can break the deadlock for NOLF, it's an easy win for them and gets some good headlines

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
At first they already need to finally finish the goddamn System Shock 1 remake.. the game's development and Nightdive's "news" about the game and a possible release date are all a fucking shit show