• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Night Stalker: The Hunt for A Serial Killer is coming to Netflix January 13. Witness the story of one of the most vicious serial killers in American history, a real-life boogeyman that brought California to a standstill.

This documentary (four episodes) is about Richard Ramirez, a serial killer and rapist, who was dubbed the Night Stalker by media in the middle of the 80's.

In 1989, he was convicted of thirteen counts of murder, five attempted murders, eleven sexual assaults and fourteen burglaries.

Here's a trailer.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
This guy is as close to a genuine horror movie slasher as I think we've ever seen.

Even now, his face and general demeanor makes my skin crawl...

Ant

Oct 27, 2017
Will add to the list! Anyone have other decent true crime documentaries to recommend?

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
I liked a few Netflix docs but the Ted Bundy one irked me a bit, since I felt the victims weren't given enough time and the doc seemed kinda partial and too focused on the ''Ted Bundy handsome devil'' narrative (which I hate). Has anyone here watched this one and can say if it has a similar vibe? Or is this really new?

Also is this that guy who appeared on a dating show back when he was still active?

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
I liked a few Netflix docs but the Ted Bundy one irked me a bit, since I felt the victims weren't given enough time and the doc seemed kinda partial and too focused on the ''Ted Bundy handsome devil'' narrative (which I hate). Has anyone here watched this one and can say if it has a similar vibe? Or is this really new?

Also is this that guy who appeared on a dating show back when he was still active?

I'm just over halfway through the first episode and so far the focus is exclusively on the detectives involved, the murders themselves, and there's even an interview with a survivor who was a child at the time. They've not talked about Ramirez's personal life much, if at all, so far.

It's very respectful so far too, going so far as to block out some of the more gruesome parts of the crime scene photos.

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just over halfway through the first episode and so far the focus is exclusively on the detectives involved, the murders themselves, and there's even an interview with a survivor who was a child at the time. They've not talked about Ramirez's personal life much, if at all, so far.

It's very respectful so far too, going so far as to block out some of the more gruesome parts of the crime scene photos.

Thanks! That sounds good, I will check it out!

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Been waiting for this all week. I'm going to have to play some Sun Kil Moon to celebrate.

Will add to the list! Anyone have other decent true crime documentaries to recommend?

Tales of the Grim Sleeper
Atlanta's Missing and Murdered
I'll be gone in the dark is sometimes frustrating but worth it.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile

I'll be Gone in the Dark is very good, though it's more than "just" a true crime doc. It's also about obssession and how such a case can take its toll on one's psyche, it's about healing after traumatic events, it's about death (obviously) and survivors. Sometimes frustrating, sometimes quite emotional.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
I was a child who lived with a single mother in Southern California during the time of the Night Stalker, that shit was frightening

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be Gone in the Dark is very good, though it's more than "just" a true crime doc. It's also about obssession and how such a case can take its toll on one's psyche, it's about healing after traumatic events, it's about death (obviously) and survivors. Sometimes frustrating, sometimes quite emotional.
Wait the documentary version of that came out? The book was good, but I'm honestly not sure I could watch a whole show about that, reading it got kinda bad.

Ant

Oct 27, 2017
Been waiting for this all week. I'm going to have to play some Sun Kil Moon to celebrate.

Tales of the Grim Sleeper
Atlanta's Missing and Murdered
I'll be gone in the dark is sometimes frustrating but worth it.
There's a lot of good true crime on Netflix. "The Confession Killer" is fantastic. I'd also recommend "The Yorkshire Ripper" and "The Keepers", to name but a few.

Thanks for the recommendations! I just finished the Heavens Gate: Cult of Cults documentary, well worth a watch too.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Wait the documentary version of that came out? The book was good, but I'm honestly not sure I could watch a whole show about that, reading it got kinda bad.

yeah, aired from the end of june to early august 2020 on HBO!

I haven't read the book so I can't comment on that but what was "bad" about it? I assume the series kinda complements it (it's about the Golden State Killer murders as much as it is about writing the book itself and McNamara's life)

Agnostic

Mar 4, 2019
I lived in Illinois and was a child during this time, but I remember the moral panic of AC/DC corrupting all the children because of the killings. I didn't learn about the gruesome shit until I was older.

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, aired from the end of june to early august 2020 on HBO!

I haven't read the book so I can't comment on that but what was "bad" about it? I assume the series kinda complements it (it's about the Golden State Killer murders as much as it is about writing the book itself and McNamara's life)
Not bad in a written sense, just the general feeling and reading all the details of what happened and how the attacks worked. The OG Nightstalker was a disgusting person.

The book itself is well written though, and covered a lot of the similar grounds of being both about the crimes as well as McNamara's personal investigation and quest.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Not bad in a written sense, just the general feeling and reading all the details of what happened and how the attacks worked. The OG Nightstalker was a disgusting person.

The book itself is well written though, and covered a lot of the similar grounds of being both about the crimes as well as McNamara's personal investigation and quest.

oh, yeah, totally get you. He's absolutely disgusting. Thankfully he got caught (in no small part due to McNamara's investigation), late as that happened. Better late than never. And survivors could finally get some measure of justice.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
The Yorkshire Ripper series is excellent because it pays almost no attention to the shitstain that committed the crimes and instead focuses on the victims and the police department's rampant incompetence and misogyny.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
The Yorkshire Ripper series is excellent because it pays almost no attention to the shitstain that committed the crimes and instead focuses on the victims and the police department's rampant incompetence and misogyny.

I'll have to watch it too. I saw one review tearing it apart for its depiction of sex workers but haven't heard much else.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to watch it too. I saw one review tearing it apart for its depiction of sex workers but haven't heard much else.
I just read one on Salon which might be the one you read. I guess I see where they're coming from; I didn't feel sex workers were being belittled, but it wasn't something I was looking for while watching.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was nine years old and living in SoCal when this guy was on his spree. It's crazy how the adults in my life took him like a hundred times more seriously then than they do COVID-19 now.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
I just read one on Salon which might be the one you read. I guess I see where they're coming from; I didn't feel sex workers were being belittled, but it wasn't something I was looking for while watching.

It probably was. I'll watch it after I finish this. I don't know much about that case so it should be good.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the first episode with my girlfriend and largely enjoyed it. Something about the title drop at the end with the 80's synth bop bugged the shit outta me though. Felt kind of inappropriate and tone deaf. Like, this was real life, it's not fucking Drive. I dunno, maybe it's just me

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
It probably was. I'll watch it after I finish this. I don't know much about that case so it should be good.
I feel like it was basically presenting things from the police's perspective intentionally when they were belittling sex-workers. The show makes a point to come back around and say how wrong they were. If you only watched a few episodes I could see how you would think that, but it was more of an intentional narrative device.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Watched the first episode with my girlfriend and largely enjoyed it. Something about the title drop at the end with the 80's synth bop bugged the shit outta me though. Felt kind of inappropriate and tone deaf. Like, this was real life, it's not fucking Drive. I dunno, maybe it's just me

Wasn't just you at all, I audibly said "whose bright idea was this shit?".

I'm two episodes in, it's good so far. High and unique production values that do a great job of selling how horrifying these crimes were. They veer from just going over the top at times with it, but yeah this is a good watch. I'm hooked.

I feel like it was basically presenting things from the police's perspective intentionally when they were belittling sex-workers. The show makes a point to come back around and say how wrong they were. If you only watched a few episodes I could see how you would think that, but it was more of an intentional narrative device.

That thought crossed my mind as well. These types of stories can vary greatly simply based on perspective. Which can put people off for not getting the kind of story they wanted.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't just you at all, I audibly said "whose bright idea was this shit?".

I'm two episodes in, it's good so far. High and unique production values that do a great job of selling how horrifying these crimes were. They veer from just going over the top at times with it, but yeah this is a good watch. I'm hooked.

Glad it wasn't just me, haha. Really pulled me out of an otherwise well produced true crime doc. Looking forward to watching more though

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
started watching this last night. ive been aware of this before but watching it and living here in socal for my whole life i was around 1yr old when this was going on and never realized just how close this really was happening to where i lived.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Watched the first episode yesterday, it was alright but nothing special so far. It's definitely no The Jinx, Atlanta's Missing, or I'll Be Gone though.

Still waaaay better then the Heavens Gate doc and especially Yorkshire Ripper which was supremely annoying in the way it treated sex workers.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished this, pretty crazy how much terrible shit he got away with that we know of, my guess is he killed a lot more. They're just lucky they got him with the tips in the end or it would have gotten a lot worse.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the first 2 episodes last night. This is as close to a third season of Mindhunter as we're likely to get. Really enjoying it so far.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Enjoyed it. NF are hit and miss with their films, but I tend to always enjoy the crime / killer / mystery content.