• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Astonishing how quickly the line has turned from 'it's not violence to throw milkshakes' to 'violence is necessary for change'

It's amazing how people who advocate misery and treats their opponents like their traitors who need to be taken care of and you're worried a milkshake is gonna turn them bad. Are you serious? They're fucked to begin with and why they're getting milkshakes thrown at them.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you seriously not see the contradiction in your post?!?

Edit: no because you deleted it

He said he'd love to have this kind of thing happen in the US but he worries someone would get shot

Agreed!

Remember MLK who was all about non violence and fighting the good fight for civil rights? Yeah no one would escalate to violence or even murder because of how calm and respectful he was... oh...

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
So if im reading this right, youre advocating for more violent protest? This is what im talking about. What exactly do you suggest?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cable_Street

You do not give facists an inch, or they will take a mile. There is no slippery slope here. We are already down it; right wing violence is normalised already. The effects of it are being felt. People have died. I'm not going to wring my hands over thrown milkshakes, of all things. They don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. They deserve our combined scorn and our angry protests.

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There aren't really any consequences for doing evil in politics anymore.

Persecuted an illegal war that destabilized an entire region, killed millions of people and made the world a generally more unsafe place? Speaking tour, book deals, millionaire, oft referred to guru of the liberal movement.

Abandoned all your principles in a minority government, did nothing to prevent austerity, destroyed the credibility of your party for years to come? Nice job at Facebook.

Turned an internal party power move into a referendum that will go down as an all time horrific mistake, actively harming the lively-hoods of thousands, inflamed anti-migrant, racist rhetoric and violence? Disappear off into a comfortable life and never answer for your crimes.

Made "kill the poor" a centerpiece of your party policy for over decade, shockingly killing tens of thousands of poor people, forsaking the worst off regions of your country utterly and being a legendarily awful politician that alienates your allies? No doubt you too can retire to some consultancy too.

No shame, no fear of consequences, nothing. Just kill, strip mine, destroy with impunity. As long as you were on top for any period of time, you too can build a network of croneys, hacks, frauds that can all give capital access to the teat of government funding and the ear of those now in power.

But a milkshake is violence. Remember that.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
How can you escalate something when they've already set the bar?
Milkshakes are a loooong looong way away from the murderous bar they've set.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys we can't even stand around in a large group protesting these types because it could be seen as act of aggression that will trigger terrible people to be terrible. Don't even look at them funny!

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Off topic: Save Ubisoft (well most of gaming pubs) lack the moral fortitude to depict that lest they piss off "gamers" and other sons of bitches alt right GG degenerates they and the industry has profited from at large and thereby perturbing their shareholders.

If you get a chance, watch Ytuber, Errant Signal's coverage of WD1 & FC5.

Written some stuff about this - and how it isn't necessarily going to be true for WD3 - in the thread :)

Watch Dogs 2, while not perfect by any means, is actually an exception to that rule, though--just look at the stuff Austin Walker's written about it:

It certainly made some major mistakes - particularly in its handling of Horatio past the mission in that clip - and could've gone way harder on some topics, but it's still a huge step above, not only most Ubisoft games, but probably the majority of AAA games in general.

Like, I could've easily seen a milkshake drone mission in Watch Dogs 2, had it been set in the UK/made now. I'm hoping the same holds true for Watch Dogs 3.

This hit a little too close home.

Yea, Austin had similar thoughts. Plus, the game explicitly engages with, amongst other things, how low-income, predominantly black communities in San Francisco are overpoliced, and how cops are encouraged to treat those areas as high risk zones, and 'go in shooting'. It deals with how cops can use the privilege afforded by their position to get away with terrorising communities, while facing no consequences themselves. It actually engages with systemic inequality and discrimination, in multiple different areas of society.

It's not perfect in how it explores any of those ideas - and definitely could've gone much harder on the police than it did - but it does engage with them in a meaningful way that doesn't just fall back to fence-sitting, which is so much more than can generally be said of AAA games in contemporary settings.

Deleted member 22407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guys what if Farage is lactose intolerant (as well as just intolerant in general), he could get a gippy tummy and feel a bit sick!

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The fascist defenders ITT are really showing their milky asses.

Oct 30, 2017
I posted this article on my Facebook, and immediately had the response, "do you condone assault against those who have different views than you?!"
*sigh*

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe if we just sat down and had a civil debate with ISIS they'd see the error of their ways?

If only the fucking stupid idiots during WW2 had debated Hitler to stopping.

I am a pseudo intellectual, I live in a fantasy land where everyone sits down for a spot of tea and debate in the theatre of conflicting ideals and the winners shall prevail enact these ideals and the losers will graciously accept that they were wrong and help society reach the prevailing ideas with a bow and a tip of a hat.
Please take me seriously.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to say this very carefully for those who are clutching their pearls at the thoughts of violence escalating.

1) The goal of fascism is genocide and the heavy oppression of those that do not meet their standards of purity. The cost of letting this happen is the cruel death of millions of innocent lives who will be killed just because they were born a certain way, came from a certain place, and so on.

2) The goal of those throwing the milkshakes is to prevent that from happening by making fascist look like the idiots they are. The cost of letting this happen is fascists having to go to the dry cleaners to get their suit cleaned.

Not all violence is equal, fascism is far more harmful and dangerous than a milkshake being splattered all over a 5000 dollar suit. Also, the escalation you fear has already happened because fascists believe they are justified in their murderous genocidal ideology. They have killed, and will kill again. The current rise of far right, fascist violence and terrorism in our world is evidence enough to show that doing the whole debate and educate strategy isn't enough anymore in a world where these fascists have massive platforms to spread their hate and false information due to social media.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
BV0uCqF.jpg

HfioiNH.jpg

Deleted member 24817

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand how you guys can think this is ok. Has politics devolved into this? We can laugh at someone who's disagreeable getting milkshakes thrown at them... because they have a different political stance, but if this was the other way around (against someone with your view), would you really think this was ok?

Political discourse needs to happen to combat bad ideas, not throwing of milkshakes.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how you guys can think this is ok. Has politics devolved into this? We can laugh at someone who's disagreeable getting milkshakes thrown at them... because they have a different political stance, but if this was the other way around (against someone with your view), would you really think this was ok?

Political discourse needs to happen to combat bad ideas, not throwing of milkshakes.
How do ya have discourse with people who don't think you should exist

Deleted member 24817

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"hell yea"
*blocked*
Don't ever give fucks a chance to sea lion

But this is assault, sorry but I'm nearly 100% certain if this happened against the person you championed in politics (no idea who you support/your stance), you wouldn't be like 'lol' you'd be like 'lock them up'.

It doesn't matter what 'side' they're on, violence is violence and assault is assault, we have the rule of law to protect everyone and that must be followed if we want to live in a civilised world.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA

The other side kills people, they don't throw milkshakes.

Deleted member 24817

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

It's hard to really respond to this, because if we're being honest I don't think Farage has really called for something of this nature, which I think (correct me if I'm wrong), you're saying a certain set of people in our society shouldn't exist? Who exactly? I'd never support anyone who would say or want something like that, however I still stand behind my own belief that attacking someone with milkshake or whatever is assault, and we shouldn't be ok with that. It just means we're normalizing such violence and the 'other side' will do the same, and say it's ok this is allowed now.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Imagine being this transparent.
Find middle ground. Maybe just lose a leg and an arm, see if that's enough for them.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017

Yes, cause it's just a fucking milkshake. It's only effective cause it's actually bothering them. If it wasn't it would of been a one off thing. We are not laughing anymore cause they got a milkshake on them. We are laughing cause of how much they are being a little bitch about it. If it happens the other way around, you take it in stride and don't let them rattle you.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There is political discourse happening. They told him to fuck off.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm fine with it tbh. As long as the intent/result is embarrassment and not physical harm.

But I must admit it was interesting seeing the opposing reactions here between Jeremy Corbyn and that right-wing Australian nutter getting egged.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
It just means we're normalizing such violence and the 'other side' will do the same, and say it's ok this is allowed now.

But the other side already commits violence. This isn't pushing them to do that. They didn't need a push. They already do this. It's already been normalized to them. They literally do not need a single excuse to commit violent acts, they have already done so and will continue to do so.

Throwing a milkshake is reminding them that they're not the only ones who can do this. It's reminding them that this CAN escalate further. They act like this because they believe milquetoast fence sitters like yourself will sit there and take it without repercussions. The moment they feel like they may actually see retribution against their actions, that's when it finally stops.

The fact that they're scared of MILKSHAKES should tell you something.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
But this is assault, sorry but I'm nearly 100% certain if this happened against the person you championed in politics (no idea who you support/your stance), you wouldn't be like 'lol' you'd be like 'lock them up'.

It doesn't matter what 'side' they're on, violence is violence and assault is assault, we have the rule of law to protect everyone and that must be followed if we want to live in a civilised world.

Oh I never said it wasnt assault, i said "hell yea"
catch that fucking milkshake to the head

and yeah i would be mad if i got milkshaked who wouldn't?

"civilized world"
also this lets me know you're just fucking around in this thread, have a reply tho

Deleted member 24817

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes, cause it's just a fucking milkshake. It's only effective cause it's actually bothering them. If it wasn't it would of been a one off thing. We are not laughing anymore cause they got a milkshake on them. We are laughing cause of how much they are being a little bitch about it. If it happens the other way around, you take it in stride and don't let them rattle you.

So lets imagine this happens to you on your way to a conference or speech, you just simply wave it away and say 'it's ok that happened that's just their right freedom of expression?'

You'd be as pissed off and annoyed as any normal person would be, especially if you're about to talk on some kind of campaign trail. And that's not even mentioning that you're entitled to report that person for assault since it absolutely is.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I wish we lived in an idealized fantasy land where we were "civilized" to begin with, but an entire rightwing movement has sprouted up all over the world, whose entire political idealogy is racism, homophobia, anti-semitism, sexism, and the creation of a strong man political leader. This is not a "civil" time period

If somebody threw a milkshake at a communist leftist who advocated the murder of right wing people, I honestly would be happy too. These people want to take advantage of you, they want to gain power so they can immediately strip the freedom of expression you so yearn and desire for. We've literally seen this exact same thing happen thoughout the 20th century.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to really respond to this, because if we're being honest I don't think Farage has really called for something of this nature, which I think (correct me if I'm wrong), you're saying a certain set of people in our society shouldn't exist? Who exactly? I'd never support anyone who would say or want something like that, however I still stand behind my own belief that attacking someone with milkshake or whatever is assault, and we shouldn't be ok with that. It just means we're normalizing such violence and the 'other side' will do the same, and say it's ok this is allowed now.
Fuck this post. You've got to be full of shit and trolling to actually believe Farage is some poor politically put upon visionary who we should just have a beer with

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's hard to respond to because your aren't arguing in good faith.

Deleted member 24817

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Oh I never said it wasnt assault, i said "hell yea"
catch that fucking milkshake to the head

and yeah i would be mad if i got milkshaked who wouldn't?

"civilized world"
also this lets me know you're just fucking around in this thread, have a reply tho

I'd like to know how I'm fucking around mind. Pretty sure I'm trying to make an argument for my stance on this. Should we all just agree with each other or something?

Deleted member 50454

Banned
Dec 5, 2018

Thanks for exposing yourself, mate.

Saves a lot of time.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So lets imagine this happens to you on your way to a conference or speech, you just simply wave it away and say 'it's ok that happened that's just their right freedom of expression?'

You'd be as pissed off and annoyed as any normal person would be, especially if you're about to talk on some kind of campaign trail. And that's not even mentioning that you're entitled to report that person for assault since it absolutely is.
If you're nazi trash you should be pissed at yourself fucking everyday when you look in the mirror before worrying about milkshakes.

Deleted member 24817

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Fuck this post. You've got to be full of shit and trolling to actually believe Farage is some poor politically put upon visionary who we should just have a beer with

Sincerely not trolling or stiring, my argument is that it doesn't matter who the person is it's still not the correct way we should be conducting ourselves. I can't understand how everyone (in this thread) can cheer this on, when we all know too well that if this happened to their favourite politician of the day they'd be saying 'lock em up' or something of that nature. We have to apply the rules to everyone.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
User Warned: Inappropriate Language

How about you piss off you insufferable cunt? How about that?

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shun these people, shun those that complain about immigrants and support Brexit. This whole Brexit thing makes me truly feel ashamed to be from that country. We have a good neighborly bond with so many European countries and we are going to weaken it just because people are scared of immigrants from other countries.

Here look, this is the kind of wonderful bond full of love between countries that the UK voted to leave:

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017

It must be really hard to go around the country and televisions blaming immigration for everything, having your hands dirty of blood, taking hundreds of thousands of pounds from Russian emissary and be passible of having a... milkshake thrown at you.

How can he sleep at night I ask myself?
What happened to the tolerant left? Why are we not letting fascists express their idea? Who are we to block someone from expressing something so nice as to how to achieve white supremacy (Tommy Robison), if a woman should or should not be raped (That fucking idiot from Youtube) or how the immigrants are the real problem and propose images taken from WW2 nazi propaganda?