• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny because there is ONE character where it..."makes sense." And that's, well, Kaine. As a sense of identity, she wants to emphasize her femininity.

But like, if you're gonna say that, you also have to recognize that there are a zillion less pervy ways to go about accomplishing a character design with that goal. That character trait doesn't change the fact that ultimately, it's a pervy ass character design.

I've not played Kojima games but so far of Death Stranding from what I played I think he's a very talented smart guy. Doesn't change the fact that Quiet's design is dumb and pervy as hell and even if he needed that trait, he could have accomplished it other ways that weren't so obviously pervy and fanservicey.

People just want to feel smart for liking what they like. If they can believe their horniness is actually intellectual they will.

I agree with you. Especially with your second paragraph. It's very clear that Kaine was designed first, and then Taro came up with her story to justify it. It's just like Kojima did with Quiet. Make a semi-nude woman and then create a story around the fact that she shows her ass so much.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
It's really disappointing that this got approved in the first place, hoping it gets changed.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
oSCf7p2.gif

Oh FFS. I should have seen this coming. Fuck everyone at SE that approved this. I don't understand how this achievement would work without a camera mode or first person view toggle. Actually, I don't want to know. 😑

Also a reminder that for months, Kaine's official English bio referred to her as a "hermaphrodite" until they changed it to intersex back in February. I kind of wish an intersex advocacy group (don't know if there are any sizeable ones) would go after them since this is being marketed way more than the original English release.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you. Especially with your second paragraph. It's very clear that Kaine was designed first, and then Taro came up with her story to justify it. It's just like Kojima did with Quiet. Make a semi-nude woman and then create a story around the fact that she shows her ass so much.

Quiet definitely. 2B Taro didn't even bother. Kaine is so fleshed out I don't know, but yeah, ultimately it doesn't matter. It's a really silly design and obvious why it is that way for real.

I do like the actual idea for it though, and I wish they'd found a better way to accomplish it.

Oh FFS. I should have seen this coming. Fuck everyone at SE that approved this. I don't understand how this achievement would work without a camera mode or first person view toggle. Actually, I don't want to know. 😑

Also a reminder that for months, Kaine's official English bio referred to her as a "hermaphrodite" until they changed it to intersex back in February. I kind of wish an intersex advocacy group (don't know if there are any sizeable ones) would go after them since this is being marketed way more than the original English release.

At very least we can tweet at Square, and maybe see if we can get some media to comment on it. Changing a trophy like this to be something completely different shouldn't be too hard. You just need to provide Sony with a significant reason. And there's no way Sony doesn't approve changing something like this.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't know, man. I mean yeah there's nothing in the game but

Taro still describes Kaine's intersex nature in Grimoire as her being possessed by a "demon", growing a (literally) monster dick and masturbating furiously after going into a killing spree. Not sure if interphobic but certainly not sensitive to paint intersex people like that.
You're not supposed to agree with the priest's perspective. It's portrayed as negative in that when confronted with an actual serious case to his faith/ideology, he turned tail and ran.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, man. I mean yeah there's nothing in the game but

Taro still describes Kaine's intersex nature in Grimoire as her being possessed by a "demon", growing a (literally) monster dick and masturbating furiously after going into a killing spree. Not sure if interphobic but certainly not sensitive to paint intersex people like that.

You are confused, friend.

Literally went back to check the JP copy

3efdbe79594f8297699fa21c499054de.jpg

- She is intersex because her Replicant data has errors in its code

- She is eventually possessed by Tyrant, who is the reason she fights so much, and when she gets wounded in battle, Tyrant heals her at night, but he also takes over half her body (which breaks out of the bandages and becomes some hideous uneven dark flesh)

- The man telling the story makes a lot of wrong assumptions about Kainé through the short story, and it culminates in him seeing her as a demonic perverted monster, the " I can't do anything about it" meant how she can't stop the shade at night

The players and Yoko don't see Kainé as a monster, that's how people in the game see her.

Now that being said, it was unnecessarily crude and graphic and it's clear he had non honorable intentions behind the descriptions of things.
He just lucked out and didn't ravage her story like you think he did.
But I agree the description is heavily fetishizing and not tasteful.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
At very least we can tweet at Square, and maybe see if we can get some media to comment on it. Changing a trophy like this to be something completely different shouldn't be too hard. You just need to provide Sony with a significant reason. And there's no way Sony doesn't approve changing something like this.
I don't know how much good that will do but I'm all for it. I and others started tweeting at SE regarding Kaine's website bio back in September and they didn't fix it until February.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
The person I was responding to thinks that everyone is saying that it was unintentionally misogynistic. Nobody is. People are saying it was unintentionally interphobic. They responded to multiple people who were following conversation threads about the interphobicness of the trophy, and misunderstanding them.

I never said that, and that's not what I think. My point is exactly like how Morrigan puts it. The description of the trophy has little to do with it all, it's still interphobic as a result because of what the trophy asks the player to do. The interphobia cannot be a mistake.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The Yoko Taro fanboys are an extremely pathetic bunch that constantly try to justify the pervy stuff in his games as "something deeper that you just didn't understand". And it's always bullshit of the highest magnitude.

Not even Taro himself tries to justify it as his fans do. He's a pervert, and an edgelord. And he made Nier Automata which is a great game. That's it. That's literally just it.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
dumb way to torpedo the remake of your game for some people. wonder if the fix, if any, will stick the landing better than deadly premonition 2

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how much good that will do but I'm all for it. I and others started tweeting at SE regarding Kaine's website bio back in September and they didn't fix it until February.

I can tell you that with Covid, any kind of decision, even the most trivial, was pushed back *weeks* because of how slowed down communication was internally.

I really think they'll realize their mistake and would try to fix it.

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
Wait, just trying to understand, did you cancel your preorder because of this, or did you previously cancel the preorder and this stuff justified it?
cancelled because i couldn't afford 3 games so close together (also getting Returnal and RE8), now with this shit coming out i'm glad this is the game i chose

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
After reading a bit on how this even happened, I don't know if this was intentionally aimed at Kaine particularly rather than they 1:1 lifted the translation from the Nier Automata equivalent (apparently even the Japanese version termed it as "secret"). Hell, if the achievement is similar, I bet it's more due to the fact that most of her ass-crack is visible through her clothes (and this... is a separate problem in of itself).

But uh, in actuality it is still so, so much worse given Kaine's backstory and this should be changed.

cancelled because i couldn't afford 3 games so close together (also getting Returnal and RE8), now with this shit coming out i'm glad this is the game i chose

That's fair, was just curious

Last edited:

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's funny because there is ONE character where it..."makes sense." And that's, well, Kaine. As a sense of identity, she wants to emphasize her femininity.

But like, if you're gonna say that, you also have to recognize that there are a zillion less pervy ways to go about accomplishing a character design with that goal. That character trait doesn't change the fact that ultimately, it's a pervy ass character design.

I've not played Kojima games but so far of Death Stranding from what I played I think he's a very talented smart guy. Doesn't change the fact that Quiet's design is dumb and pervy as hell and even if he needed that trait, he could have accomplished it other ways that weren't so obviously pervy and fanservicey.

People just want to feel smart for liking what they like. If they can believe their horniness is actually intellectual they will.
this trophy is really bad, but we've reached such reactionary ~horny bad~ levels with this thread that we've actually started comparing Kainé, one of the greatest characters the medium has ever produced, with fucking Quiet. mindboggling

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man who the fuck thought this was a good idea?

Makes me glad I didn't bother getting the remake after I learned they didn't have father Nier. I was thinking of still getting it later on but now I don't think I will.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this trophy is really bad, but we've reached such reactionary ~horny bad~ levels with this thread that we've actually started comparing Kainé, one of the greatest characters the medium has ever produced, with fucking Quiet. mindboggling

I mean I like Kaine too but the design is for one exact purpose and audience. NieR just has enough of a satirical edge that the old hat players rolled with it as part of the joke where her and Weiss would banter constantly and argue about it.

I feel everything good about Kaine would have been completely carried over in full had they used one of her beta designs.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
what job role is responsible for trophies?
I know yoko taro is only creative director for the remake but like, is it marketing? the network features people?

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I do find it odd that one of the meta-narratives in this thread is minimizing the role of the director of one of the most idiosyncratic video game franchises on the planet.

This trophy is unacceptable and needs to be removed. I'm not going to play it for at least a few days since I was already weary of any Squeenix PC port, so I'll be sitting tight within the Steam refund window to see how this all shakes out before installing it.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking awful, I'm dumbfounded they added this for the remaster. The trophy/achievement in Automata was terrible (along with 2B's exploding skirt), but this is so much worse considering Kaine's traumatic backstory. The reused phrasing from 2B's trophy regarding a 'secret' doesn't help matters either.

2B also physically reacted if the player tried to look up her dress -- does that mean they've now animated and programmed Kaine reacting if the camera gets too close?

Since apparently trophies can indeed be alerted, change the trophy to getting mauled by a boar ten times or something. Christ. Again, absolutely awful.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Designers and programmers. Trophies and achievements also go through QA to be tested to make sure they work.
Marketing definitely has to have a say, since achievements/trophies are a form of marketing given you are encouraged to share them on social media. They are posted on your feed by default for Playstation.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Marketing definitely has to have a say, since achievements/trophies are a form of marketing given you are encouraged to share them on social media. They are posted on your feed by default for Playstation.

Depends on the company and game production structure, but not always.

Irregardless, somebody somewhere should have caught this and it needs to be fixed.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
This achievement fucking sucks. That's it.

What I am feeling weird about here is this impossible debate of how and why an artist decided to create something a certain way, assuming one way or the other and then applying judgements about both the artist's character AND the quality of the fictional character to that assumption.

Playing Nier back in 2010 I never felt like Kaine was a character intended for me to lust after. I feel like you have to laregly ignore the actual game and the way this character is presented there to come away with the assumption that that is the point of her character or her design.

No one (as far as I remember? It's been a few years since I last played through it) treats her like a sex object, she and her outfit isn't really presented as incredibly sexy or "hot" (except if you think that merely seeing her outfit and revealed body parts on screen is, by itself, sexy and hot which...I just don't really agree with.) Look at how Kaine is being presented in Nier and compared that to Quiet in MGS V and it should be VERY obvious that both have nothing in common. Just imagining Kaine being superimposed into Quiet's scenes makes me want to laugh my ass off, so ill-fitting and completely in contrast it would be with her character and the way she gets presented.

This threads and many reactions to Kaine border on simplying "Unrealisticly or weirdly revealing outfit = bad", completely ignoring any and all nuance it can have. I know after Quiet it's really easy to dunk on that point but there is a character motivated reason for this outfit (and, again, it's actually integral to her character and the way she is being presented, not a pseudo-scientific excuse that has otherwise nothing to do with the character or her arc as in MGS V). The very first thing anyone ever says to Kaine in this game is "That's quite the outfit, huh?". Even in the world of Nier it's not just brushed away or ignored as it would be in 99% of all other games with scandily clad women, where that's just kind of the norm and an obvious concession to audience expectations, completely ignoring if and how it breaks with the established universe and its norms.

And this bewilderment is so important because it's exactly what I felt looking at Kaine. I didn't see her and think "OMG THAT'S HAWT THOUGH", I saw her and thought "Holy shit, what the fuck is that outfit". And then it turned out that that was exactly the reaction the characters in the game had, too. And THEN it turned out that Kaine was aware that that was the reaction others had to her outfit and that that bewilderment was kind of the point. Comparing her to the complete failure of a character that is Quiet seems so reductive and ill-advised to me because it ignores quite literally everything about the character except the outfit. Which is why it's so hard to argue with. If the outfit itself is ALWAYS going to be judged without context of the text it is presented in and, because of that, brushed away as creatively unnecessary or distracting titillation for horny boys, then there isn't really much to discuss. Because then the point really is just "Ridiculous Outfits are bad!", which, most people here would probably agree, is ridiculously reductive.

The way the marketing in the following years then used Kaine to prop her up as this weird sex symbol stands equally in contrast with the game. Including this achievement, which goes completely against the game it is attached to, which fucking sucks. The statues and drawings of her posing remind me most of these godawful Neon Genesis Evangelion figures of traumatized teenage girls in sexy poses and skintight clothes. I can't really hold those against the show itself though since I struggle to see how anyone could watch NGE to the end come away with the thought "Man, those underage girls really were hot, huh?", even though they are presented in a leering and stereotypical way, especially in the earlier episodes. How marketing and later recontextualization of a text changes the interpretation of the text that preceeded all of this is a whole different discussion, of course. Especially because there is still a nuanced difference between NGE and Nier since, well, Kaine presenting herself in a stereotypically sexualized way does make sense for her character but really not as a piece of marketing outside of the game itself. It's complicated! Because:

There are 3869879 ways to "emphasize one's femininity" without ... dressing in lingerie outside your own house

Well, because of this. It's weird and way too much and there are so many better ways to do it and ALL of that is part of the point. At no point does the game argue that this outfit is an incredibly clever metaphor. The game makes it a point to say pretty much exactly what you are saying. And it uses that to make Kaine a more interesting, more nuanced character because it actually spends time confronting both her as a fictional character and you as a player with those arguments and asks you to ask what the fuck the point of that outfit even is. And that, in turn, helps build her character further.

Last edited:

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How shameless can these developers get. They reduced her bulge and also want players to look up at her underwear so they clearly want somebody to perv over her without making THEM uncomfortable while completely mistreating her as an intersex character.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah my reaction to Kaine when first playing NieR in 2012 was "what the hell is she wearing?" and I never particularly felt the need to get off on it. The game absolutely goes out of its way to lampoon and make fun of her style of dress in contrast to her berserker fighting and constant potty mouth and that's the Kaine that appeared in my head, but I think it would be irresponsible of me as a fan of NieR to try and tell people that Kaine needs to wear a negligee or that the context of the game and in-universe reasons (in a game where the entire point is walking into a scenario without a full deck of cards) fully justifies them to the point of overpowering any particularly discomfort a player might have. If someone doesn't want to play a game where the female lead wears lingerie all the time then it would be wrong of me to begrudge them that.

Even setting aside later marketing (such as putting her costume on Zero and 2B, characters who definitely don't have the context of why Kaine dresses the way she does and how other people react to it) and the merch, what we see now in this Achievement is that somebody with a degree of power over this game's course it's taking thought to themselves "Kaine is a character the player should be rewarded for ogling."

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
There are 3869879 ways to "emphasize one's femininity" without ... dressing in lingerie outside your own house
It's only made sadder by the fact that two women are credited for the writing of Gestalt/Replicant. If Taro cared, he had two women right there to consult. (I don't know if either of the women returned for the new content in the remaster.)

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory generalization based on race/nationality
It's only made sadder by the fact that two women are credited for the writing of Gestalt/Replicant. If Taro cared, he had two women right there to consult. (I don't know if either of the women returned for the new content in the remaster.)

Maybe he did? I don't imagine the average Japanese woman being very progressive with social issues, and even if they were they'd have to speak out against it.

I think these type of issues go deeper than "just ask a woman".

Last edited:

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see what's wrong, this is hilarious.

It's hilarious to look up at somebody's underwear? Or is it hilarious to "reveal" an intersex person's "secret"? Or is it funny that the that the character was bullied and felt insecure about being intersex in the game? Please, point out what is hilarious here.

Edit: oh good, they were banned.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly didn't think much of the trophy in Automata, but yeah, this is gross. Taro.. come on, man.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I think these type of issues go deeper than "just ask a woman".

It's complicated. It's often not enough to have women in such positions. It's also necessary for them to be in a group/organization that is willing to support them. If they are in an organization that in the end of the day only value the good old status quo and the usual sexism, well chances are that these women will take decisions that will go in the direction of the status quo... If they want to be successful in such an environment, they don't have much of a choice.