• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Looks like I need to eat crow and it seems we have different voices for our boy Nier as an adult and teen. (I think this thread is allowed, if not i'll get it shut down)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Meh. Ray Chase and Liam O'Brien's voices are a little too in the same register for the quirky married couple vibe to work.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
So it'S OG cast confirmed bar the obvious exception

I don't imagine that will extend to the sidecharacters tho

OP
OP
sensui-tomo

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it'S OG cast confirmed bar the obvious exception

I don't imagine that will extend to the sidecharacters tho
Yeah I think if that last trailer is anything to go by, that DC Douglas isnt *that* character anymore and was replaced by Steve Blum

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's really awesome to have the original cast back. Very happy for that.

I'll see if I miss papa nier.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Weird that they didn't have Zach Aguilar just voice the main character entirely, though Ray Chase is also great so w/e.

Jul 24, 2018
Weird that they didn't have Zach Aguilar just voice the main character entirely, though Ray Chase is also great so w/e.
I think Chase said in the vid that in the Japanese version they had different actors so the new localization wanted to replicate that. I believe the new localization is probably closer to the original than the Papa Nier dub was.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meh. Ray Chase and Liam O'Brien's voices are a little too in the same register for the quirky married couple vibe to work.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but we weren't going to get this anyway with Bro Nier (and if nothing else this is the biggest sacrifice going from Gestalt to Replicant).

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Liam's VO in the original game is so good that i'm surprised they even made him redo his lines, its already 10/10.

OP
OP
sensui-tomo

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'm not hearing Steve Blum in the attract video. It's gotta be Douglas with different voice direction or someone that sounds similar.
It's whomever is doing the voice at 1:55 in the attract video, unless that isn't
grimoire noir talking about the shadowlord

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Liam's VO in the original game is so good that i'm surprised they even made him redo his lines, its already 10/10.

He is, but he was perfect as a foil to a gruff older and capable adult and not a spindly helpless teenager embarking on an impossible quest.

There is a possibility I am looking far too deep into just a few lines of dialogue, but the re-recording of Kaine we heard a while back gave me the impression the voice acting is being reworked around the change from Papa Nier to Bro Nier. Kaine can come off as a crass, foul mouthed, edgy lady to Papa Nier because he's a grown ass man and can take it. Kaine acting like that to some wide eyed kid would create a far different impression of her character.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018
He is, but he was perfect as a foil to a gruff older and capable adult and not a spindly helpless teenager embarking on an impossible quest.

There is a possibility I am looking far too deep into just a few lines of dialogue, but the re-recording of Kaine we heard a while back gave me the impression the voice acting is being reworked around the change from Papa Nier to Bro Nier. Kaine can come off as a crass, foul mouthed, edgy lady to Papa Nier because he's a grown ass man and can take it. Kaine acting like that to some wide eyed kid would create a far different impression of her character.
I believe 8-4 said the localization is being rewritten, which is evident since there are some line changes thus the voice acting would have to be re recorded. Here's an example

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
It's whomever is doing the voice at 1:55 in the attract video, unless that isn't
grimoire noir talking about the shadowlord
That's a battle line from when you fight Grimoire Noir before Shadowlord at the end. I've listened to it several times and I cannot hear Blum. I know he has a lot of range but I'm not hearing it.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Ray chase is a perfect casting but he sounds like dog shit in the opening so I'm a bit worried about the direction if I'm entirely honest.

Duonala

Oct 27, 2017
Since Square started charging for the White Snow edition, I looked more into it and this kinda caught my attention
maxresdefault.jpg

Older Yonah had this much lines?!

Hmm....

I expect most of this is for Ending E. Which I thought will be a long cutscene, but this thickness...
I will not be surprised if they expanded Ending E and she's our main.

Or it could be that all those lines are new cutscenes and gameplay in the old world.

Human Emil has an unnaturally thick book too

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
These are some good names but from the latest trailer, the English dub sounded terrible imo.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
These are some good names but from the latest trailer, the English dub sounded terrible imo.
I don't think it sounded terrible, but I do think it will be interesting to see how big a gulf there is between each actor given these apparently couldn't be done in studio (I hope with the right mixing they can get them all close enough).