• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
How you feel as an individual is on you, but a lot of people grew attached to Papa Nier. I personally feel he fit the story very well, I enjoyed the relationship of Father/Daughter more than what I feel a Brother/Sister relationship would, and Jamieson Price did an excellent performance of the script. For a lot of people in the West the appeal of a Nier remake would include replicating (PUN INTENDED) the Gestalt build, given that's what they're most familiar with and resonate most with as an experience.

I hope Square-Enix is planning to fund both. Because honestly, I think having both options in the game, Father/Daughter or Brother/Sister, also gives Nier a unique if inconsequential basis. Why not?

The quality of the voice acting, and Price's performance as Old Man Nier is 90% of the reason Old Man Nier works so well. It's absolutely stellar.

I also agree that having both options would be most preferrable.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
The gameplay being unquestionably worse makes this pretty false.

But it has enough greatness that balances out the bad. And hopefully this fixes some of the issues with the original.
The gameplay is fine, it's not like the improved combat in Automata mattered much because the encounter design never did anything with it. They're both games you mash through and enjoy the world, story and music.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay is fine, it's not like the improved combat in Automata mattered much because the encounter design never did anything with it. They're both games you mash through and enjoy the world, story and music.

Plus the original Nier has waaaay more gameplay mix ups than automata.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The combat in Nier wasn't bad it was just pretty boring. Especially when you get the Phoenix Spear and just spam the same move over and over.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Laura Bailey come back for Catherine Full Body?

would it be that outrageous for her to come back for this?
She did do the lines in Catherine full body. But the best way to make you wonder and hope we do get the cast back.... Tales Of Vesperia DE... because someone at Namco Bandai never contacted Troy Baker (whom also came back for Catherine) and imma be real... the voice difference was so fucking jarring for that game that i couldnt play it in english again because of the voice shift.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
To clear up some confusions, in Replicant you start off as a boy and grow into a young adult.

That's what the "older Nier" refers to here, not the 50 something american version.

latest

latest

It's gonna be my next gen Raiden fix

<3

The gameplay being unquestionably worse makes this pretty false.

Try the game at 60 fps on ps3 emulator with Replicant (fan patched with accurate translation).
You'll change your mind when the game isn't dying and running at sub 20 fps.

But if they can fix the jank animations and rebalance the game a bit, this is gonna just as fun as Nier Automata. The powers are just too cool.

=)

digifire

Oct 25, 2017
I want to be excited for this but what made Automata so great was that Platinum fixed the actual core gameplay of the first game. Don't know about these Toylogic guys...

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
if they want to add new lines i don't mind, but if they redub any of the existing lines for Gestalt i'll be insanely sad

the most perfect fuckin way to open a videogame ever made

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I can't imagine Kaine without Laura, she'll be back.

Drakengard 3 may have had the worst gameplay(though I liked it), but it has my favorite story of all the Taro games. It is absolute, unbridled insanity, with a god-tier voice cast.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
We damn well better not.

Also it sounds like they're adding more content and re-recording all the lines again. Why would they bother making two versions again when the other version did worse?
That may be true for japan's sales, but anyone should know that hardly matters for international markets.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I think a Nier Replicant/Gestalt remake/remaster with some tweaks and improvements could do plenty well. The game cops way too much hate for it's game design, when the clumsiness and clunkiness could be improved with more time and a better grasp on what they want to accomplish. Everything else surrounding that design is action game 101 and perfectly servicable in this day and age.

Improve the combat, improve the presentation, tighten up some of the design, and I think you'd have a wonderfully enjoyable action RPG that could easily piggyback off the success of Automata. Nier might have sold poorly, but Automata sure as shit did not. The latter has created a brand awareness that I can guarantee you will enormously benefit a remake of the former.

The quality of the voice acting, and Price's performance as Old Man Nier is 90% of the reason Old Man Nier works so well. It's absolutely stellar.

I also agree that having both options would be most preferrable.

Precisely. Price's performance is amazing and elevates the script tremendously.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... I know Nier isn't as big as KH but they got Mark Hamill back for KH3 for like... one scene. I think they can afford Laura Bailey.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god YES!!! YES! Holy shit, I got so 0 to 100 instantly hyped that I nearly friggin' screamed out loud and it's the middle of the damned night LMAO.
Omg I'm sooooo happy!! I've wanted to play Replicant version of Nier for evveeeerrr!! Aaaaaaaaa!!! :DDDD

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I think a Nier Replicant/Gestalt remake/remaster with some tweaks and improvements could do plenty well. The game cops way too much hate for it's game design, when the clumsiness and clunkiness could be improved with more time and a better grasp on what they want to accomplish. Everything else surrounding that design is action game 101 and perfectly servicable in this day and age.

Improve the combat, improve the presentation, tighten up some of the design, and I think you'd have a wonderfully enjoyable action RPG that could easily piggyback off the success of Automata. Nier might have sold poorly, but Automata sure as shit did not. The latter has created a brand awareness that I can guarantee you will enormously benefit a remake of the former.
I'm hyped for all the new fishing complaints.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Apparently there might be a new ending and Okabe is going to record new music for this.

I'm so excited about the latter, that also means more Emi Evans and possibly J'Nique Nicole.

OP
OP
Tiddy

Tiddy

Oct 25, 2017
Was NieR Automata already on Xbox game pass? If not they just announced that at least for Japan.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
You know Yoko Taro can start brand new fuckery with Gestalt and Replicant co-existing or turning out to be the same game which you find out in an end-game twist except you now play through the other version of the game after your first playthrough and vice versa.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh is this confirmed for the west?

Sweetie ...

Apparently there might be a new ending and Okabe is going to record new music for this.

I'm so excited about the latter, that also means more Emi Evans and possibly J'Nique Nicole.

Probably gonna work in some Grimoire "ending E" stuff with Kaine epilogue !

Which also would explain why they erased Gestalt since it was written for Replicant.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is somewhat of an outsiders view, but I have a girlfriend and friends really into NieR.

Basically in Japan the original NieR game was about a brother saving his sister. For a Western audience, they thought a father saving his daughter would be more appealing, so there became two versions of the game, the Japanese one with the brother, the Western one with the father.

To my understanding they're basically the same with only some story changes to accommodate the father/brother changes.
Is that true? Japan had both versions.