• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Can somebody explain the papa vs bro arguments in this thread? Only played Automata.
This is somewhat of an outsiders view, but I have a girlfriend and friends really into NieR.

Basically in Japan the original NieR game was about a brother saving his sister. For a Western audience, they thought a father saving his daughter would be more appealing, so there became two versions of the game, the Japanese one with the brother, the Western one with the father.

To my understanding they're basically the same with only some story changes to accommodate the father/brother changes.

Duonala

Oct 27, 2017
I bet they will be giving us a choice between the father and the brother.
Personally, I would like to experience it with the boy this time, in English! Though the father will always be the canon to me.

StormBrute

Oct 26, 2017
YEAH

Oh man I am so hyped for more people to play this game. I feel like a lot of people discounted it despite getting into Automata, and the original game is honestly my preferred of the two in story and characters.

I'm willing to bet that in NA at least it will probably have both brother and father Nier since they already have all the VA done. Or maybe DLC later. I'll be interested to see the brother version though.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Having only played Gestalt I'm honestly alright with this being Replicant.

Excited that something was announced, but without knowing much about the developer and where the game falls on the remake/remaster spectrum, kind of keeping expectations in check until there's more detail.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you so confident that it's a simple remaster?

Despite the thread title, the trailer and the game title itself don't indicate what kind of treatment this is getting.

If it was more then a remaster the would have marketed as such.

Also says in the tweet that it's an ''upgraded'' version of NieR Replicant. I wish we would get a proper remake a RE2 because if any game needs it, it's this one.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
This is somewhat of an outsiders view, but I have a girlfriend and friends really into NieR.

Basically in Japan the original NieR game was about a brother saving his sister. For a Western audience, they thought a father saving his daughter would be more appealing, so there became two versions of the game, the Japanese one with the brother, the Western one with the father.

To my understanding they're basically the same with only some story changes to accommodate the father/brother changes.
japan had both versions (Replicant and Gestalt), America only got Gestalt.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
3rcZp4r.gif

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
Also to people saying that dad vs bro nier were basically the same, there is one massive difference. One is in japanese, and one is in english lol.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
-Developed by Toylogic
-Fully voiced, re-recorded voices
-Automata's Takahisa Taura is also helping the development

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Nier is a top 5 game for me, and I'll probably buy this to support it, but I'm not sure I want to go through that again.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Interested to see reactions from Automata fans that never played it. I found Automata underwhelming in comparison in regards to world, story, music... pretty much everything but the gameplay.

I'll probably buy and platinum it again, wonder if they'll keep the ridiculous grinding to max out all the weapons or not. I'm here for grinding to that soundtrack all over again lol.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
Not really bummed about the loss of Gestalt. While Papa Nier is charming it is abundantly clear that he didn't really fit the story and undermines some of its core themes. Especially now that we have more "Dad" games it feels like less of a loss. It would be cool if they could still work it in somehow as DLC or something.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yea if a better developer was doing this then I might be more excited about it. The gameplay in the original was tolerable at best so time to see if Toylogic can improve on that.

Dot-N-Run

Oct 27, 2017
Give me Papa Nier or give me death!

I'm still amazed how ugly he was though, never seen a protagonist that hideous before or since.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Not really bummed about the loss of Gestalt. While Papa Nier is charming it is abundantly clear that he didn't really fit the story and undermines some of its core themes. Especially now that we have more "Dad" games it feels like less of a loss. It would be cool if they could still work it in somehow as DLC or something.
Conversely, part of why I slightly prefer Papa NieR is because he's a very atypical hero for the type of game it is. He's not attractive, and he's old going on a journey for them whippersnappers to save his daughter.

I'm fine either way though, just I always slightly liked papa NieR more for being a bit atypical.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Can somebody explain the papa vs bro arguments in this thread? Only played Automata.

In Japan, Nier was a brother on PS3 and dad on 360.

For the west, they just did dad for both consoles. And it ruled cause he was voiced by Jamieson Price.

It also felt like it made a it more sense for Nier to be a weird dressing, clayfaced looking dad with a heart of gold because it contributed to the dynamic of the whole party being a dysfunctional band of weird dipshits.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think a brother would try to save his sister, but maybe not to the point papa nier did. I'm trying to not get into spoilers lol despite it being a 10 year game. I do think the kaine/Nier romance will look more organic than papa nier and Kaine. And the gay subplot with Emil will... you know not be creepy with a kid wanting papa nier.
Brother Nier prostituted himself to get money for Yonah I'm pretty damn sure he's willing to go as far as Papa Nier.

Also how is Emil having a crush on an old man LESS creepy then someone closer to his(physical) age? Swap one of the twos genders around and see who's calling what creepy.
maybe it will be tied to language options
Please no I want to play as brother Nier this time.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
I've been hoping for this (and a chance to play Replicant) for awhile, I'm delighted!! I hope this paves the way for other Nier titles!

Koivusilta

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Ha, and I just bought a copy of Replicant and have been playing it on RCPS3 recently.

Glad this is finally happening, though I really wish they included Gestalt too. Jamieson Price's performance as Papa Nier is too good to waste.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Dad Nier might be specific to the US release, since that character was supposed to appeal to westerners.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm under the impression that most people aren't really playing this series for the gameplay, but I'd also argue that the first one wasn't as bad as anyone made it out to be gameplay wise. I played it for the first time the year Automata came out, and found the transition between games to be pretty similar.

I mean Automata was much more appealing gameplay due to Platinum hype and the amazing animations, so a good chunk of people definitely bought it partially due to that, myself included. Automata blew up in a way where it was clear that it wasn't just dedicated fans of Yoko Taro getting back into it.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Some more info

-Saito says it's "version up" not a remake or remaster
-lots of stuff being added from the original
-possibility of a new ending? Saito says he is not sure
-Okabe is doing the soundtrack again. There will be new tracks.