• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
With a more playable framerate, I'd definitely more strongly consider it lol.
The slideshow experience and the final boss stuttering and making you lose 8min of progress is part of the charm. You have to embrace the jank.

I dont't think they'll ever remake the Drakengard games, some parts could be...controversial...

The same way, I doubt SQ will ever acknowledge the sidestory that revealed Bro Nier as a child did prostitute himself to get money for yonah.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Like I said the entire goal of their do-over is to make it look and feel like Automata since that's the game that "broke through".

I'll say a lot of the identity of this remake is actively destroyed by streaming compression.

They put a lot of detail into it and it's completely erased by it.

NieRReplicant_08.png

NieRReplicant_07.png

NieRReplicant_06.jpg

NieRReplicant_10.png
That's cool, but I'm specifically criticizing the changes to the color palette in these shots, so it isn't really relevant.

Wonder if I should look into picking up the original on PS3 honestly... Though I do want to support the series. I think this looks great but I want confirmation that we can choose the original arrangements and I definitely like the more dreamy, bloomy look of the original overall, piss filter be damned.
I will say, regardless of my feelings about this remake, Nier never made me say "boy I sure hope they fix ______ if this ever gets a remake!" It's not like it suffered from a terrible frame rate or had some agonizing mechanic that needed a rethink.

Except for that one fishing mission. Just glance at a guide real quick when the fishing mission comes up.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Except for that one fishing mission. Just glance at a guide real quick when the fishing mission comes up.
Or he could just follow the game instructions :p
The NPC tells you where to go, Quest description tells you where to go, the minimap tells you is not there, even the UI tips you about the right location.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
can someone explain the logic behind wearing lingerie to a battlefield ?

I think he tried to make the most obnoxious character design he could think of and see what he could get away with.
Nobody told him no and he kept it as is.

Now he enjoys the cosplays that came from it.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
It's hard for me to tell if that is DC Douglas returning as Grimoire Noir though it sounds like Steve Blum is Tyrann. Edit: Nevermind, the latter definitely sounds like Spike Spencer resuming the role.
I literally can't think of a time when Nolan has been involved in a Japanese game/anime.

But it really sounds like him
North has done JRPGs, he was in Resonance of Fate among other things.

Last edited:

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So that's why he's white washed.

The artist didn't just make questionable Yonah art he literally took out the color of the character.

EvBmtTdXcAEibXr

EvBmtxFXEAQpYey

You wouldn't even think this character isn't white based on this artwork.

At least it's not this bad in the actual game as he is still brown but it's still pretty bad they didn't course correct it more.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I get people love the original, but the amount of put down I see for automata from original fans always feels weird and a little unnecessary (as someone who's played both already). Not to point out this comment specifically, but it's a sentiment I see a decent often.

Completely agree. I think they are setting this game up for backlash. I get it- I played Nier when it was first released and loved it. I still have an unfair and irrational dislike of Justin McElroy because that fishing video set up so much of the baseline for Nier's discussion on release.

I can understand anyone preferring the original or Automata since they both have a lot to offer. But there is just an overwhelming vibe of "Nier was cooler when it was a cult thing, Automata took it too mainstream" that has been out there since Automata turned into a surprise hit and it can be quite obnoxious.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Completely agree. I think they are setting this game up for backlash. I get it- I played Nier when it was first released and loved it. I still have an unfair and irrational dislike of Justin McElroy because that fishing video set up so much of the baseline for Nier's discussion on release.

I can understand anyone preferring the original or Automata since they both have a lot to offer. But there is just an overwhelming vibe of "Nier was cooler when it was a cult thing, Automata took it too mainstream" that has been out there since Automata turned into a surprise hit and it can be quite obnoxious.

Is it more or less obnoxious than the die hards gestalt fans shitting on replicant left and right because apparently you can't have any empathy for characters you can't directly relate to ?

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Is it more or less obnoxious than the die hards gestalt fans shitting on replicant left and right because apparently you can't have any empathy for characters you can't directly relate to ?

More obnoxious because that didn't become a major source of discussion until the remake was announced last year. The Nier vs Automata crap has been constant since 2017.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Automata underwhelmed me but I don't really go that hard into it. It just felt like it tried to repeat a lot of the cool stuff nier did already. It's like when someone in class said a joke that nobody heard, that then got repeated and everyone laughed.

I've wanted to go through the game again to see if I gel with it more but I haven't really been able to get into it again.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
EvAjS71XUAQCMOI

They....

They just used A2's Nier costume DLC as the base for Nier's new model. Look at his waist.

It'll be easier to compare when the game is out but it wouldn't be absurd for them to use that as the base. It's Yoshida's redesign of the outfit and it matches his new key art for older Nier. Of course it's clearly not just a simple copy paste as there are various tweaks, plus looking at the trailer there is probably a more complex model for the cutscenes.

Oct 25, 2017
I like the new faces, design-wise, but they really don't match their animation data all that well. The characters' faces animate way better in the original in every cutscene. I bet a lot of people will interpret the poor facial animation as a product of its time and budget, when the original was actually better. This seems to be a recurring theme with remasters.

Overall I really like this, though. Probably because most of the artistic changes seem to be a result of wanting visual consistency between this and Automata, and I love the way Automata looks, so I don't mind this, even though the change is there and I completely understand why others wouldn't like it.

I'm usually in the disappointed side whenever a remaster/remake is shown, so I'm glad to be excited for once.

Just please give me an Original OST toggle, S-E.

That's a good point, people really are overhyping how much better this game is than Automata, even at the things I do agree it did better.

It reminds me of some reactions I've seen when KH III came out from people who were disappointed with FFXV, but unfamiliar with Nomura's work, so they just believed the hate bandwagon saying that if Nomura was the director, the story would be so much better. I don't think I need to mention what they thought of the storytelling in KH III compared to their expectations.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I hope people playing this for the first time learn to love the Sealed Verses. They kick so much ass and are way better than the watered down Pod Programs in Automata. If the amount of blood can be turned back to 11, there's a lot to enjoy in NieR Replicant's combat assuming the tweaks don't make it feel really off.
I like the new faces, design-wise, but they really don't match their animation data all that well. The characters' faces animate way better in the original in every cutscene. I bet a lot of people will interpret the poor facial animation as a product of its time and budget, when the original was actually better. This seems to be a recurring theme with remasters.
Yeah there's subtle detail being lost, largely due to the shift to less cartoony facial models.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope people playing this for the first time learn to love the Sealed Verses. They kick so much ass and are way better than the watered down Pod Programs in Automata. If the amount of blood can be turned back to 11, there's a lot to enjoy in NieR Replicant's combat assuming the tweaks don't make it feel really off.
Agreed. I personally feel like the original had better gameplay overall. Automata controls much better, but that's about it. Gestalt/Replicant has better bosses and abilities, making the fights actually more fun in the end. This remaster is basically just grabbing what Automata does better and keeping what Replicant already had over it. Unless they really butcher it, this will be the god tier Yoko Taro game as far as gameplay is concerned.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Just got a chance to check out the trailer. GODDAMN the character models look so good. Everyone kept talking about weird faces, that shit is over! All the characters look amazing. Need the game now; I need it right now. Needs it!