• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I really, really, really hope this doesn't replace WEISS YOU DUMBASS

Edit: Ok. Using "Attract" as the name, I was worried it might. But maybe not. Above still stands though

Sep 4, 2019
Worth noting that this is a recreation of the original game's opening, which makes it a lot easier to directly compare the visuals.

Gotta say, I really don't like them. They may be more detailed, but it feels like the style has become a lot more generic in exchange. Kaine and Emil are the worst for me.
Also, why did they feel the need to redo the music? The original was perfect.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
damn

even on the worst days that music fuckin' DOES things to me

Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
This shows way too much! I'd avoid watching it if you haven't played the game yet, even if it a lot of it is out of context.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is this getting a native PS5 version? Also, should I play Automata before this?

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
Looks really good.

Should I play Automata before this?
This is a prequel to Automata, I strongly recommend to replay it after you finish Replicant. There are several references to this game that are quite neat.

Edit: Sorry, assumed you already played it, you should be good to go since it's a prequel.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Is this getting a native PS5 version? Also, should I play Automata before this?

No native PS5 version announced as of yet and no need to play Automata before this.

And yes, the trailer contains a lot of footage from critical moments in the game, but I only know that because I played the game before. I doubt anyone could make any sense out of it before that.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Not really the biggest fan of the music remixes tbh. That being said, the game does look incredible. The question is, what are the chances this has extra/new content beyond what the original game has?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's all coming back to me how much zany shit is in this game. Definitely picking this up down the line, especially if there's any extra content over the original.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still don't know how I feel about the new remixes substituting the original tracks. Though I'm still pretty excited to replay it with the other new additions.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
It's all out of context. I have not played this game past the opening, and all of this was gibberish. It's also in Japanese lol.

It's fine to watch.

I know the context but if you are observant, there is definitely some spoilers there for some plot twists that do not require language or anything. The visual alone is sort of enough. Then again, if you've played automata you might be able to guess some plot twists any way.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, these remixes sound way worse. Very Automata-y with it's more standard orchestration across the board.

I know the context but if you are observant, there is definitely some spoilers there for some plot twists that do not require language or anything. The visual alone is sort of enough. Then again, if you've played automata you might be able to guess some plot twists any way.

It's almost impossible to get anything out of the intro if you don't know the game and characters. This is the same introduction that was present in the original Japanese release and no one complained about it having spoiled them anything after finishing the game.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The remixes aren't as good, but I still got some chills when Karma started playing at 1:57.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Automata spoils the shit out of the first game. If you haven't played any, absolutely do not start with Automata.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
God, I can't wait for this. Got the White Snow edition on order too, eeee.

I hope I don't get too fixated on the new arrangements; I listen to the original soundtrack often, so those songs are really ingrained in my mind. Also, Kaine's new face looks a lot better here than in the recent gameplay video.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
This will probably be the new opening for this version of the game. The "Weiss, you dumbass!" opening was only for NIER/NieR Gestalt. So since this is using the OG NieR Replicant as a base, then we probably won't get the English opening.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Ehhh, automata does spoil some important things on the original imo. Given the choice, definitely play the original first.
Automata spoils the shit out of the first game. If you haven't played any, absolutely do not start with Automata.

On the other hand, Replicant also spoils some big reveals in Automata, which is why people say that either can be played first. Some of the big twists are the same twists.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really, I never played origin game and don't understand 95% story in this trailer

But you will probably understand/suspect stuff sooner than you should when playing the game with added context from places, characters, and relationships. Oh well, too late anyway.

----

But I agree that people that haven't played the game should try to avoid watching the trailer. It has a ton of stuff in it. Even visually, they show a lot.

Feb 15, 2019
The trailer being like a remake of an older OG Nier trailer is pretty fucking great I'll tell you that. Too bad the music remixes are definitely a downgrade.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
On the other hand, Replicant also spoils some big reveals in Automata, which is why people say that either can be played first. Some of the big twists are the same twists.
The things the original spoils for automata are not treated like big reveals though in automatai.e. Humanity being gone. I'd argue the game expects you to know that or at least have a suspicion. Automata's spoilers are big reveals for the original though. the idea of the enemy being the ones in the right, devola/popola's actual purpose, Emil's fate, and yes , the ultimate fate of humanity which is a bigger deal in the original.

Again, while you can play in any order and still enjoy the games, given the opportunity, the original should be played first.

Last edited:

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to give this game a go again. Comparing this to the original opening, this really looks like a 1 to 1 remake.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like they didn't actually whitewash the King of Facade and the other girl whose name escapes me. That's good at least.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

There are spoilers from the first game, that obviously affects the second because it's a sequel, but they're foremost Nier 1 spoilers. Like
Dev and Pop stuff is a big Nier 1 spoiler

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
While I did play these out of order, both games worked very well for me from a narrative standpoint. Playing Automata first doesn't really lessen the experience, you just lack some of the character and story context.
Looks really good.

Should I play Automata before this?
No. Play this one first as it will give you far better context for Automata.

Edge_Maverick

Oct 25, 2017
Looks and sounds incredible. I love this new version of Emil Karma, which was always my fav theme from the OST.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Weird, from trailers that give zero sense of the story to one that has rapid-fire major spoilers (albeit without much context). It continues to be extremely strange that they haven't done a "regular" story trailer for this. Like I get that this is the original's attract mode and it's fun to see it updated, but you'd think they would be making trailers for the majority of Automata players who haven't played the original.

Looking good, though.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Worth noting that this is a recreation of the original game's opening, which makes it a lot easier to directly compare the visuals.

Gotta say, I really don't like them. They may be more detailed, but it feels like the style has become a lot more generic in exchange. Kaine and Emil are the worst for me.
Also, why did they feel the need to redo the music? The original was perfect.

Looks a lot better to me, and is closer to the 2d concept art by D.K. I always thought the original had weird 3D human models that wasn't able to capture the 2d artwork so the 3d artists at Cavia just took their own liberties.

nier9yjl1.png

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't Emil's incredibly stupid haircut in the original game supposed to be a parody of Jrpg characters? If so I wonder why they changed it.