• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
It's still weird to me that people want old man Nier when his inclusion was a Mystic Quest-level of complete misunderstanding of the western market.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The nonsensical number subtitles to these and their DLC's are funny but are kind of exhausting when I have to read them every time it's mentioned in an official capacity.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
oooh i could fuck with this game for the gap I'll have between 13 Sentinels and Cold Steel IV. Please release it early october come on daddy. At least release it like december or early january then so I have something to play for early 2021.

Honestly Nier has the better music and an equally as solid if not better story depending on who you ask. The main thing holding it back was the gameplay so if they really are reimagining it to play more closely to Automata that would make the better game outright for many people.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Berkeley, CA
so if you are going to a retail shop to buy a physical copy of this, are you gonna say out the full title?

"Hey, i want to purchase a copy of Nier Replicant ver ver.1.2247448713"
so if you are going to a retail shop to buy a physical copy of this, are you gonna say out the full title?

"Hey, i want to purchase a copy of Nier Replicant ver ver.1.2247448713"

Why would you say the whole name instead of just "Nier Replicant?"

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know to what extent they are remaking this game? Is it just a graphical overhaul, or are they adjusting the gameplay as well?

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I want this so badly so hopefully it comes out this year. Also really hoping that it has a physical version for Xbox One as Automata didn't and that still kills me tbh

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Old man Nier is literally animu teen boi Nier but his character model is different.

That contrast made him such a compelling character though. Papa Nier isn't a shitty violent guy, he wants to do the right thing. He means well, he helps those in need, he genuinely tries to be a good person in a world that has no time for them.

In an age dominated by angry violent dads who are morally vindicated because they did what had to be done Papa Nier was schooling those clowns before they even came to be.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Where was the misunderstanding?
the assumption was that it would sell and appeal more in the West if it was an old gruff looking angry looking man vs the more traditional anime 'pretty' design. I didn't care for the design, but I do appreciate the father/daughter relationship. It's not like older brother/younger sister is overused in the West but it's definitely WAY more overused in manga/anime media.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
So looking forward to this....but was kind of hoping there would be a next-gen release. I know it'll look and play a lot better than Nier: Gestalt but it won't be long and (hopefully) many of us will start converting over to next-gen systems.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So looking forward to this....but was kind of hoping there would be a next-gen release. I know it'll look and play a lot better than Nier: Gestalt but it won't be long and (hopefully) many of us will start converting over to next-gen systems.
there was a deadline Sony gave for the game makers to make sure their titles worked on PS5. There's no 100% guarantee but if it wasn't submitted by mid July or something for review by Sony but submitted later, the devs needed to make sure the title ran for next gen.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
there was a deadline Sony gave for the game makers to make sure their titles worked on PS5. There's no 100% guarantee but if it wasn't submitted by mid July or something for review by Sony but submitted later, the devs needed to make sure the title ran for next gen.

Yeah, I expect that it'll run on next-gen systems. I was mainly talking about taking advantage of those systems in improved graphics and so forth.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
The misunderstanding was the reason JRPGs don't sell in the west. It's not because the protagonists are young. It's usually a mix of bad writing and bad tropes.

Why can't it be both? Nier didn't have bad writing or tropes but still sold like crap. I'm convinced it would have sold worse if not for Old man Nier.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
I know I sound like a wannabe western purist AHA, but I just can't jive with a Nier that excludes Papa Nier. >_<

The game may be as intended with Replicant, and even better as a result. But hopefully they toss Gestalt a bone because in its way, the presentation of Papa Nier was the extra heart it needed to cement its nature as something grittier and more rugged than usual for its genre.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
People ripping on the combat in the original game make me sad. Is it technically good? No, but it is more satisfying than Automata when you become OP and have all the Sealed Verses at max (which are way better than the Pod programs).

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
People ripping on the combat in the original game make me sad. Is it technically good? No, but it is more satisfying than Automata when you become OP and have all the Sealed Verses at max (which are way better than the Pod programs).

Never really got the hate for it tbh. The combat is fine. Not amazing, but not terrible imo. I just dragon speared my way to success and had a solid time.

Also, maybe this is heresy, but automata's combat isn't that much more engaging than it. I love automata, but the combat is definitely not the reason why.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
The awfulness of OG NieR's gameplay has always been overstated, it's more or less a meme coming from Platinum fans the moment Automata was announced i'm sure, as prior to that, i've never seen people ranting about it being terrible, of what little niche of people played the game.

I mostly remember it for using the giant fist attack to punch away any bosses life bar in 20% hits a punch

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
The awfulness of OG NieR's gameplay has always been overstated, it's more or less a meme coming from Platinum fans the moment Automata was announced i'm sure, as prior to that, i've never seen people ranting about it being terrible, of what little niche of people played the game.

I mostly remember it for using the giant fist attack to punch away any bosses life bar in 20% hits a punch
Yes, Dark Hand at max level is so fucking satisfying to use.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
Ah, I cannot wait for those glorious farming and fishing side quests, again......cannot wait.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

Played the game long before Automata was a thing, and no, it's bad. Only highlight of the game's combat to me were the bullet hell sections, which I'm glad they double downed on in Automata.

It was serviceable, but didn't take long for it to get old quickly.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
This is me, too. I also greatly prefer the sealed verses to pod programs.

I just generally think the original is a much better experience though, honestly.
I would agree that it has the better soundtrack and I actually like the story, how it experiments much more with genres and the chemistry between the characters more, but some parts like the factory really do drag on.
Nier Automata improved on much of the other stuff.
General combat just feels better (in the original you relied on the magic much more though), sidequests felt like they had more of a story pay off and I really liked the weapon variety.
I just never liked how they implemented the difficulty modes, cause I feel like Normal is too easy and Hard is too much of a jump from there, which made me enjoy the original Nier much more in that aspect cause it didn't have that problem.

I'm really excited to see how the remake builds on this.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I would agree that it has the better soundtrack and I actually like the story, how it experiments much more with genres and the chemistry between the characters more, but some parts like the factory really do drag on.
Nier Automata improved on much of the other stuff.
General combat just feels better (in the original you relied on the magic much more though), sidequests felt like they had more of a story pay off and I really liked the weapon variety.
I just never liked how they implemented the difficulty modes, cause I feel like Normal is too easy and Hard is too much of a jump from there, which made me enjoy the original Nier much more in that aspect cause it didn't have that problem.

I'm really excited to see how the remake builds on this.

Yeah, I can't really argue with any of that. Gameplay-wise, Automata is the better game. I greatly prefer the story, characters, world and tone/atmosphere of the original though. As you also pointed towards, the original feels a bit more experimental; Automata does the odd camera angle change and the bullet hell stuff, but that's about it.

Both have incredible OSTs, though. I think if pushed I'd pick the original one, though I don't know if that's mainly a nostalgia thing. But it just works so well with that almost dreamlike quality NieR has.

Oct 25, 2017
Niiiice! No idea how close it is to release, but there's a pretty good chance of at least us getting a new trailer at TGS, which would be great already.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I can't really argue with any of that. Gameplay-wise, Automata is the better game. I greatly prefer the story, characters, world and tone/atmosphere of the original though. As you also pointed towards, the original feels a bit more experimental; Automata does the odd camera angle change and the bullet hell stuff, but that's about it.

Both have incredible OSTs, though. I think if pushed I'd pick the original one, though I don't know if that's mainly a nostalgia thing. But it just works so well with that almost dreamlike quality NieR has.
Yeah I love both soundtracks, but if I had to choose I'd go for the first one, because many of the songs i love are also derivative of the first one.
They are really really great though.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Played the game long before Automata was a thing, and no, it's bad. Only highlight of the game's combat to me were the bullet hell sections, which I'm glad they double downed on in Automata.

It was serviceable, but didn't take long for it to get old quickly.

But that's exactly the thing, servicable is far away from terrible, like some people are making it out to be.
I would agree that it is servicable and not exactly great, but it's far away from being dreadful, something that could potentially put off people who are interested in a game, that's what i would consider terrible, such as Drakengard 1's combat.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind some polishing to the combat. NieR's gameplay is at best functional.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Yeah I love both soundtracks, but if I had to choose I'd go for the first one, because many of the songs i love are also derivative of the first one.
They are really really great though.

Yeah, that's a good point. I think I might break out my vinyl box set this weekend, I have a sudden craving for NieR music :)

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
It's still weird to me that people want old man Nier when his inclusion was a Mystic Quest-level of complete misunderstanding of the western market.
I don't think it's a misunderstanding at all. I would say in general most westerners would prefer older main characters over boyish looking protagonists. Also a lot of people who played the original really enjoyed the performance of Jamieson Price so it's no surprise they would be upset when they learn he's not reprising his role.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I played NieR well before Automata was announced, and yeah the combat is something you put up with to get to spend more time with the characters and story.

It's certainly better than any Drakengard game, but that's hardly saying much.

Oct 25, 2017
Something I don't really expect but it would be cool is if they put a lot of work into the overall sound design. As far as just the songs themselves go, I'd also choose Replicant/Gestalt over Automata, but their implementation in Automata was superb. The first game had its moments, but it was mostly just beautiful music playing over the game. There's more nuance and variations of the songs in Automata to better fit each specific moment.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I don't think it's a misunderstanding at all. I would say in general most westerners would prefer older main characters over boyish looking protagonists. Also a lot of people who played the original really enjoyed the performance of Jamieson Price so it's no surprise they would be upset when they learn he's not reprising his role.

I'd love to see data on this but based purely on what I've seen online I don't think anyone outside of the JRPG audience bought the original Nier. There may be a few outliers but that seems to be the majority. Western JRPG fans are fine with boyish protagonists. It's not a deal breaker that prevents the style from breaking out.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I played NieR well before Automata was announced, and yeah the combat is something you put up with to get to spend more time with the characters and story.

It's certainly better than any Drakengard game, but that's hardly saying much.
Drakengard was purposefully bad, Nier is just limited by budget.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Nice, I was worried it might be delayed because of Covid. Hopefully it still makes it out this year.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Drakengard was purposefully bad, Nier is just limited by budget.
Drakengard is not purposefully bad. Taro has spoken about how people made theories about the combat sucking being intentional due to the themes and said flat out that it was just because they were flat out bad at making the combat, and it was in no way on purpose.