• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Looks awesome, really can't wait to play this. They nailed everything, even the gameplay changes feel close enough to the original instead of just backporting Automata's gameplay into Replicant. I love it.

What ?

They literally gave him 2B's run, shooting, lock on, side dodge, parry and air combos.

That's virtually nothing like the original besides aesthetics.

They also back ported something else :p

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Im so looking forward to this,

But can somebody clue me in on the original Nier (360/PS3?) what was it like? Similar to Automata? Open World RPG?

Oct 25, 2017
What ?

They literally gave him 2B's run, shooting, lock on, side dodge, parry and air combos.

Maybe it's just the dodge roll, but it's really feeling a lot slower than Automata to me, in a good way. It seems more grounded as well, even though it does have higher air mobility than the original. But that could just be the player.

The startup on heavier weapons also seem a lot longer than anything in Automata.

But, again, I could totally be wrong, it's just the impression I got. I'd love to see side by side comparison gifs.

Im so looking forward to this,

But can somebody clue me in on the original Nier (360/PS3?) what was it like? Similar to Automata? Open World RPG?
Pretty similar structure, a central hub connecting distinct areas where the story takes place.

It's a little smaller in scale (I think?), but it does more with its gameplay changes. Also better bosses, in my opinion, but worse overall controls, which will most likely change with this version.

Storywise, it's more personal and character-driven than Automata, even though the larger lore is just as grandiose, and probably my favorite part of it. They're both equally fantastic, imo, if you liked one, there's a very very strong chance you'll like the other. Not guaranteed, there are people in this very thread saying Automata did nothing for them, but I think most fans of the original were happy with Automata.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Similar structure but a much smaller game.

Heh, smaller but more dense.

It feels more like an adventure than Automata did for that reason.

Maybe it's just the dodge roll, but it's really feeling a lot slower than Automata to me, in a good way. It seems more grounded as well, even though it does have higher air mobility than the original. But that could just be the player.

The startup on heavier weapons also seem a lot longer than anything in Automata.

But, again, I could totally be wrong, it's just the impression I got. I'd love to see side by side comparison gifs.

I'm not saying it's 1:1 with Automata but I think you are misremembering the original because holy shit it was NOT like this.

Movement and light weapons speed is incomparable.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We need to acknowledge how big a deal it is that Nier now holds his weapons in his hands instead of gluing them to his back.

Oct 25, 2017
Heh, smaller but more dense.

It feels more like an adventure than Automata did for that reason.

I'm not saying it's 1:1 with Automata but I think you are misremembering the original because holy shit it was NOT like this.

Movement and light weapons speed is incomparable.
Right, and I'm just happy it's not 1:1 with Automata, as I feared it would be and a lot of people were asking for.

It's clearly updated, but still feels close enough for me to enjoy the changes.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
On sale right now, just saying...

That said, if you've never played it before, I'd recommend playing the first Nier first if you got the patience for it

still got my ps3 copy of nier, beat it when it came out, also got auto, just gotta get around to playing it heh

looking forward to this remaster too

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Ordered the White Snow Edition like a madman. One of my all time favourite games so has to be done, I guess. Looking forward to getting the scripts and remastered soundtrack.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Well I'd like to preorder but SEs account system refuses to let me log in even when I've just done a password reset. I hate their entire account system.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
What ?

So, are you telling me they applied THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND POLYGONS TO HIS BUTT????!!!!

Next gen truly is among us.

Oct 25, 2017

Looks great, hopefully the bosses are rebalanced to keep up with the increased player mobility.

I kind of like the blood splatter effect of the original a little more, but other than that it's such a step up in visuals while keeping the same muted art direction, it's great.

Love the spear animations as well, maybe this game won't make me spam jump attacks, hahaha.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
EirvLMJXkAAhDLw

So I gotta ask, is the one the left actually a 1000 year old dragon or is everyone kind of just ok with it?

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I gotta ask, is the one the left actually a 1000 year old dragon or is everyone kind of just ok with it?
Its the same character as the right, just a time skip.... and Its questionable easily that they made this design look like this. When she looks like this in the game.
latest
DWgBLA7UMAAiSNs.jpg

Lyriell

Oct 27, 2017
Square.... I will buy Papa Nier DLC at a high price.

The voice acting was so good on the english version... will they be recasting Niers voice actor? :(

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Square.... I will buy Papa Nier DLC at a high price.

The voice acting was so good on the english version... will they be recasting Niers voice actor? :(
It wont be jamison price voicing some kid. Someone here said Max Mittleman voiced him for the dlc of the original which had some moment with brother nier. So it could be him again. But at the moment we have no idea who is voicing brother nier for this game.... Officially that is.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Whether the combat cuts a little too close to Automata's or not, it's an unambiguous improvement over the original combat, and I'd rather they take what works from the sequel which should play similarly, than to try to be something it isn't.

I wonder more now about the enemy AI and combat, because the more they add to your kit, it's liable to make the game easier than it already was.

Oct 25, 2017
Whether the combat cuts a little too close to Automata's or not, it's an unambiguous improvement over the original combat, and I'd rather they take what works from the sequel which should play similarly, than to try to be something it isn't.

I wonder more now about the enemy AI and combat, because the more they add to your kit, it's liable to make the game easier than it already was.
Yeah, my biggest issue with Automata's gameplay is that while it controls like a dream, everything gets too easily trivialized without you even trying by the leveling systems. You have some pretty cool boss fight designs that you just don't have to engage with. One of my most vivid memories of playing Automata is having to wait to hear boss dialogue and just running around during the fights so I don't kill them too quickly.

And I LOOOOOOOOOOVE the game, so it's not even something that completely ruined it or anything, but it's pretty telling that it's one of my strongest memories.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That child in the nightgown design is... worrying to say the least.
Blame Yoshida(new artist for this game because he did art work for automata) because like the photos i posted above, its nothing representative of the game. He shouldnt draw 10 year olds like that.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
So are they redesigning the characters to look like the Yoshida models in-game? Because that Yonah drawing is yikes.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So are they redesigning the characters to look like the Yoshida models in-game? Because that Yonah drawing is yikes.

It's the other way around, Yoshida just redrew the 2D designs of the original.

Yonah's models in the game were not 1:1 with the 2D artworks, probably because whoever was in charge realized what the fuck they had to work with.

The new models need to be compatible with the originals because they are using the same cutscene data. So I wouldn't worry too much, they won't alter the original one much besides changing hair/face and details.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Blame Yoshida(new artist for this game because he did art work for automata) because like the photos i posted above, its nothing representative of the game. He shouldnt draw 10 year olds like that.
That artwork is from Nier's original character designer D.K. I'm not the biggest fan of Yoshida but let's not spread misinformation.

Edit: Wait, fuck I got mixed up and take this back. Yoshida really did redraw that design without a thought. WTF

rottenpie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm a bit worried about the english dub, I hope the cast is the same (except for Jamieson Price, sadly) because everyone was perfect for their roles!

The english dub was even better than the original japanese version, at least for me

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit worried about the english dub, I hope the cast is the same (except for Jamieson Price, sadly) because everyone was perfect for their roles!

The english dub was even better than the original japanese version, at least for me
I'm less worried about the cast returning than I am with how the final product will be, given the pandemic. I assume SE will use Cup of Tea Productions once again. Fun fact, the original release was a non-union gig which I assume means the game will have to be entirely rerecorded just like the Japanese version, in addition to the expanded scope of voiced dialogue.

Pandemic aside, I'm being optimistic that the new dub may trump the original. As much as I love the original cast, the voice direction for some scenes could have been better.

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
XB1/ XSX and PS4 versions? What about PS5 version? Not written on PS4 jacket. Did they talk about PS5 version?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Direct comparison

fUYlMNY.jpg

DDAykX9.png

XB1/ XSX and PS4 versions? What about PS5 version? Not written on PS4 jacket. Did they talk about PS5 version?

They never write ps5 on ps4 boxes.

Xbox does it randomly on every game regardless of specific enhancements.

Current gen build isn't finished so they haven't messed with next gen at all for the title.

Did they give any hope for Drakenguard 1,2,3 remasters?

JoJokomoko

May 31, 2019
Thailand

That artwork is from Nier's original character designer D.K. I'm not the biggest fan of Yoshida but let's not spread misinformation.

Edit: Wait, fuck I got mixed up and take this back. Yoshida really did redraw that design without a thought. WTF

I used to be a fan of Yoshida's art in FF tactics, FFXIV, and Tactics ogre but when they show Yonah art during the presentation my eyes almost coming out of my socket. What the heck Yoshida!

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
A better look at the NA and most likely EU as well Snow White Edition.
EiwhOD6WoAI37qT

I love it all but surprised at the steelbook. Was a little suspicious at first but yep the art is in the back for once.

Voodoowoolf

Oct 31, 2017
Looks awesome, really can't wait to play this. They nailed everything, even the gameplay changes feel close enough to the original instead of just backporting Automata's gameplay into Replicant. I love it.

Beautiful boxart as well, almost makes me want to get the physical version.

I like how much the screenshots remind me of The Last Guardian, visually. It makes sense, of course, but it's just great to see.
was hoping you would reply. You kind of put me onto Nier Automata. Maybe I'll write that LTTP on Automata and Replicant once it drops! 😉

Oct 25, 2017
was hoping you would reply. You kind of put me onto Nier Automata. Maybe I'll write that LTTP on Automata and Replicant once it drops! 😉
Oh, that's awesome! I'll be there if you do write it. What did you think of Route B? You were already really into it during Route A, from checking my messages again, so I assume you just loved it all the way through. A lot of people only really get into it during Route C, which is a shame, but as long as they enjoy it, that's what matters.

I'm glad you liked it, I guess this is a pretty huge series now with Automata, but at the same time it's hard to shake off that feeling of a tiny niche series few people cared about, so I still get happy when I see new fans.

Tolby

Sep 24, 2019
Eastern Europe
In this screenshot we can see what seems to be the lunge attack with the Phoenix Spear, the best weapon in the game. It retains the three little chains at the end of it. They removed those in Automata for some reason, glad to see it intact again.

Hopefully I can spam this over and over again for the original experience.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure who gets the kudos on this SquareEnix, Microsoft, or Sony for not moneyhatting, but I'm happy this isn't a situation like Nier: Automata where it didn't come to Xbox till a year after PS4.

Voodoowoolf

Oct 31, 2017
Oh, that's awesome! I'll be there if you do write it. What did you think of Route B? You were already really into it during Route A, from checking my messages again, so I assume you just loved it all the way through. A lot of people only really get into it during Route C, which is a shame, but as long as they enjoy it, that's what matters.

I'm glad you liked it, I guess this is a pretty huge series now with Automata, but at the same time it's hard to shake off that feeling of a tiny niche series few people cared about, so I still get happy when I see new fans.
Think I preferred route B more so than A just based on the fact on how it gave me a new perspective on the same story and definitely made me empathise with the robots a lot more and put the androids in a different light. The gameplay wasn't as satisfying as route A but I enjoyed it nevertheless. Still hands down the most human game I've ever played, never thought I would be able see the human condition expressed so beautifully in a video game before. If you have any other recommendations I'm all ears! ( I have a switch and a PS4)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Think I preferred route B more so than A just based on the fact on how it gave me a new perspective on the same story and definitely made me empathise with the robots a lot more and put the androids in a different light. The gameplay wasn't as satisfying as route A but I enjoyed it nevertheless. Still hands down the most human game I've ever played, never thought I would be able see the human condition expressed so beautifully in a video game before. If you have any other recommendations I'm all ears! ( I have a switch and a PS4)
Well, I recommend NieR Replicant. :P

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
I'm less worried about the cast returning than I am with how the final product will be, given the pandemic. I assume SE will use Cup of Tea Productions once again. Fun fact, the original release was a non-union gig which I assume means the game will have to be entirely rerecorded just like the Japanese version, in addition to the expanded scope of voiced dialogue.

Pandemic aside, I'm being optimistic that the new dub may trump the original. As much as I love the original cast, the voice direction for some scenes could have been better.
If they replace the dub cast there is no way in hell anyone else could "trump" Laura Bailey's Kaine. What an absurd thought.

Just hope it doesn't happen, She still works with Square plenty, so hope it works out

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
If they replace the dub cast there is no way in hell anyone else could "trump" Laura Bailey's Kaine. What an absurd thought.

Just hope it doesn't happen, She still works with Square plenty, so hope it works out
They would have a very hard time finding someone else to do a better job with the character than Laura Bailey.

Ashly Burch would be an obvious replacement but then she would need to be allowed to give her own take on the character rather than just replicating (embracing this pun) Bailey's performance.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Someone correct me please.
This is not a simple remaster right? graphics, lighting, gameplay are all improved right?
If that's the case, this is AUTOMATA 2 for me, cannot wait.