• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gala

Oct 25, 2017
Got nothing on my 3 10 pulls so far. Will be interesting to see how I will do in the game with that.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
I never understand why gacha just don't let you reroll over and over on first ever pull until you are satisfied with pull.

Just did the first pull and got jackshit, aint got time to delete app, download and then pull again. I deleted the app.

They might as well just automatically give people the best possible roll first try, or just not even have the roll... The want to discourage re-rolls deliberately because otherwise, why would you roll again for $$$?

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone been able to start the Automata event yet? Whenever I try the loading screen gets stuck at 50%. Maybe it's because I'm not on WiFi at the moment?

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Never played a Gacha. Popped in here to get a feel for it all but you're all talking in the kind of cryptic mad-mumbles I thought were exclusive to fighting game threads. 😄

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Still haven't been able to get into the game. Over 12 hours now. I shouldn't have deleted my account to reroll but damn. 30 pulls with shit to show for it wasn't feeling good.

OP
OP
Einbroch

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Rolled another account. Got 2P, and that's it. It looks like you can upgrade lower tier characters to higher stars, so I'm just gonna roll with this and not roll at all anymore.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
I like how easy it was to catch up to the end of Chapter 4 which is where I got up to in the beta. The skip story skipping the whole thing and not requiring you to keep skipping over and over was really helpful.

Looking forward to continuing the story from here.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
2B and Foid are what I wanted and what I got. Friend lists.
Screenshot_20210729-094210.png

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Is it worth doing rerolls at all? I figure we'll get enough jewels from the story and launch banners are always bad compared to what comes later anyway.

I got an A2 so I might just stick with that, though I would prefer a 2B…

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
Never played a Gacha. Popped in here to get a feel for it all but you're all talking in the kind of cryptic mad-mumbles I thought were exclusive to fighting game threads. 😄
Yeah, it's pretty dense. Right now, especially at launch, people are more interested in sharing how to maximize their gambling rolls at the start of the game than anything else. All this talk of emulators and so forth is to boost the efficiency of that process.

I put a lot more time into this last night than I probably should have. The stamina system is not a barrier for a very long time, especially given that all the stamina costs are halved right now. I'm no gacha expert, but mechanically it seems very standard. All the strategy really happens before a battle starts in terms of matching weapon elemental types in your loadout to enemies (indicated by the missions you get before you start). I couldn't get much of a sense of what my skills did, nor did I have to care; I just use them whenever they come off cooldown. It moves quickly enough when you step the battle speed up. The character and weapon enhancement seems to follow more-or-less the same model as Granblue Fantasy: feed things to other things so the numbers go up.

The most interesting stuff here is the music and the art direction, which deliver a lot of what you get from the console games in the series. The story framing so far (I'm into Chapter 3) is still a bit too vague to be compelling, but the internal "weapon stories" that advancement through each chapter are built around are fitting and pretty well done. I also played through the Automata crossover subquests at the normal difficulty, and the story that comes with that is basically just flavor on what you know of Automata and the relationship between 2B and 9S.

I got a decent enough start, and I'll keep going for the moment, but I don't know if there's enough meat to this for me to stick around too long-term given other demands on my time.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
For someone who doesn't want to reroll and FTP, is it possible to get enough fragments for a automata character exchange?

Randomless

Oct 25, 2017
Still rerolling today, the game has started crashing sometimes during the data download. I imagine the servers are getting hammered.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty dense. Right now, especially at launch, people are more interested in sharing how to maximize their gambling rolls at the start of the game than anything else. All this talk of emulators and so forth is to boost the efficiency of that process.

I put a lot more time into this last night than I probably should have. The stamina system is not a barrier for a very long time, especially given that all the stamina costs are halved right now. I'm no gacha expert, but mechanically it seems very standard. All the strategy really happens before a battle starts in terms of matching weapon elemental types in your loadout to enemies (indicated by the missions you get before you start). I couldn't get much of a sense of what my skills did, nor did I have to care; I just use them whenever they come off cooldown. It moves quickly enough when you step the battle speed up. The character and weapon enhancement seems to follow more-or-less the same model as Granblue Fantasy: feed things to other things so the numbers go up.

The most interesting stuff here is the music and the art direction, which deliver a lot of what you get from the console games in the series. The story framing so far (I'm into Chapter 3) is still a bit too vague to be compelling, but the internal "weapon stories" that advancement through each chapter are built around are fitting and pretty well done. I also played through the Automata crossover subquests at the normal difficulty, and the story that comes with that is basically just flavor on what you know of Automata and the relationship between 2B and 9S.

I got a decent enough start, and I'll keep going for the moment, but I don't know if there's enough meat to this for me to stick around too long-term given other demands on my time.

So this is Gacha? I've only done the tutorial weapon story, but I don't feel like I'm effecting anything. I'm thoroughly enjoying the presentation.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
For someone who doesn't want to reroll and FTP, is it possible to get enough fragments for a automata character exchange?
Definitely. With some grinding and a little patience you can auto play enough to easily get one or two of the characters once you unlock the side quests. Just boost your power up till your team can comfortably clear the last one on normal and then it's 10 per run. Each character is 200

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Absolutely. I didn't reroll and am ardently F2P and I've still managed to do 9 10-pulls so far. Evidently luck will play into things but I've rolled four 4-stars so far. make sure to tap Mama 100 times when you're in the cage to get 3000 free gems, too!

I can't believe how much time people waste on re-rolling. Literally cannot fathom the dullness of repeating the opening over and over again. Unlike in Automata, you should just accept your fate in gacha games. :P

Definitely. With some grinding and a little patience you can auto play enough to easily get one or two of the characters once you unlock the side quests. Just boost your power up till your team can comfortably clear the last one on normal and then it's 10 per run. Each character is 200
To build on this, definitely prioritize the event weapons over the weapons your characters are good with- the Medal bonuses add up fast (currently getting over 40 Automata Medals per mission).

Last edited:

Call me YHWH

Oct 26, 2017
Still rerolling. First run I got yorha Fio and a handful of 4* weapons but I'm honestly after 2B/2P more than anything else, hahaha.

I'm a little concerned about whether the production values will support the costs of the game, and whether it'll get a Star Ocean style shut down though. This game is insanely high production on the visual/audio front.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. I didn't reroll and am ardently F2P and I've still managed to do 9 10-pulls so far. Evidently luck will play into things but I've rolled four 4-stars so far. make sure to tap Mama 100 times when you're in the cage to get 3000 free gems, too!

I can't believe how much time people waste on re-rolling. Literally cannot fathom the dullness of repeating the opening over and over again. Unlike in Automata, you should just accept your fate in gacha games. :P

It's not something I've always done for other games but for limited collab stuff like this, especially when it can affect the event farm, I'd really rather be safe than sorry if I can help it. Generally speaking I get why people do it - if you pull the best characters at the start it can save a lot of time/trouble later and to a significant degree in some games, not to mention save $ if you're someone who will pay for pulls - but I'm more concerned with stuff like this. It was also extremely easy to set up a macro that did the entire prologue; there's a lot of autoing and skipping. So I barely had to do anything beyond reset it, and it's only a few minutes to get to the first 10 pull. Would be nicer if it just had it right at the start like some games, but it was definitely an acceptable amount of time for me if I can do something else while it gets there, and games that do that probably wouldn't let it be on the collab banner anyway.

...but that being said, I was lucky and got my 3 accounts which each have 1 of the banner #1 characters within only a few loops of doing 4 at once. If this took like an hour or something, I would have just gone with what I had, yeah. And I was only aiming for 1 collab 4*, I feel like 2 4* is pushing it...

Getting through the first chapter with each account was easy too so today I'm thinking that I'll do the same auto+skip on each (after legitimately seeing the story on one of them) so that I can hit another 10 pull, then decide which I want to stick with from those accounts. After that... it's all up to luck going forward for sure.

Last edited:

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
F this roll reroll talk, what is the story like???
I've enjoyed it quite a bit so far. I feel like they're the weapon stories from the NieR games given a bit more color which I guess is the whole point. I appreciate the characters they've introduced so far though the stories for now def. feel more stand-alone than whatever the central narrative appears to be which I'm curious about

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
They might as well just automatically give people the best possible roll first try, or just not even have the roll... The want to discourage re-rolls deliberately because otherwise, why would you roll again for $$$?

Some games have gotten a little better about this, Twisted Wonderland being a notable example. You are tied to a fixed starter gacha but you literally can just keep rerolling until you're satisfied. It's still a gacha game at the end of the day though.

As far as this game is concerned... I don't mind giving it a shot but my expectations are very low since it's a gacha game. I kind of hope there aren't any major reveals you can only get here.

OP
OP
Einbroch

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget that the shop has a lot of stamina potions that apparently refresh daily, which is wtf.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
So this is Gacha? I've only done the tutorial weapon story, but I don't feel like I'm effecting anything. I'm thoroughly enjoying the presentation.
Yeah, it's gacha. You'll be introduced to it during the second weapon story. It doesn't seem much of an impediment to progression so far, but I'm still very early.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Dear lord my pulls have been total shit so far. A bunch of weapons and a few random ass 3 star characters. Still, don't really care enough to torture myself with rerolls so I'll just deal with it.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Guessing I'm super lucky. I got A2 on my first pull. Not sure If I will spend anymore gems at this time. I will wait to see what other characters appear for the banners.

Also, I don't play a lot of these games... but I find that having way too many high powered unit makes these game incredibly boring to play.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Woo I got 2P. Between her and A2 I think they will carry me quite far

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Pulled 2 x10 and got what I assume to be bad results. Only character was a Dissenting Girl, and the rest were weapons: two 4*, six 3* and the rest were 2*.

I'm not about that re-rolling life and I was going to keep playing with whatever I got, but, as much as I love Yoko Taro games, this is not clicking for me. The game looks and sounds pretty, but the way it plays and is presented just makes me want to watch a playthrough of the whole thing on YouTube. Which is what I'm going to do.

Sadly, I'm not going to spend any more time with this. Same thing happened with SINoALICE — I liked the ideas, but not the game. Maybe one day I'll stick with a mobile Yoko Taro game, but once again this is not the time.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Still can't get through much without the game crashing..got through the menu tutorial this morning but when I went to pull it crashed again. I'm gonna give it one more shot tonight and if it doesn't work don't think I'm gonna bother

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I've enjoyed it quite a bit so far. I feel like they're the weapon stories from the NieR games given a bit more color which I guess is the whole point. I appreciate the characters they've introduced so far though the stories for now def. feel more stand-alone than whatever the central narrative appears to be which I'm curious about

so there's like multiple characters and each character gets their own story chapter?

It's a Yoko Taroâ„¢ game. Don't expect happy endings :(

:)

SpookySpice

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 22, 2019
So I don't quite understand the event shop. I bought A2 and the version you get is a yellow 3*. Is there a way to upgrade her to the purple 4* like the 2B I pulled? I ascended her once and she's still the same, do I need to do it 4 times? Or do I need to use those intermediate books?

Call me YHWH

Oct 26, 2017
So I don't quite understand the event shop. I bought A2 and the version you get is a yellow 3*. Is there a way to upgrade her to the purple 4* like the 2B I pulled? I ascended her once and she's still the same, do I need to do it 4 times? Or do I need to use those intermediate books?

The characters from the Event Shop are not the characters from the gacha. Your A2 will never be the A2 from the gacha -- you can promote the event shop version to higher rarity but she'll have different stats than her gacha counterpart.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
so there's like multiple characters and each character gets their own story chapter?
The main character is regaining "what she has lost" by entering the stories of characters and helping the story to completion. Each chapter has a different focus character and some of the stories overlap in an overt way and some less so, and the main story is also dropping hints and snippets of lore that seems to be leading up to something (I'm about halfway through the available story content)

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The main character is regaining "what she has lost" by entering the stories of characters and helping the story to completion. Each chapter has a different focus character and some of the stories overlap in an overt way and some less so, and the main story is also dropping hints and snippets of lore that seems to be leading up to something (I'm about halfway through the available story content)

Nice. Are they all new characters or does it have stories from the other games?