• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I probably skip every other song. It's ok. We're talking about the 3 CD release right? Having not played the game half the tracks didn't really stand on their own. Maybe the degree to which you like the games resonates with the soundtrack's enjoyment.

Maybe I'll listen to Nier's OST since a large number are praising it just as much if not more.

I gotta admit, as someone who heard so much praise for this OST before I finally played the game last February, I was pretty damn whelmed by it.
After hearing god tier status for so long I too found it to be... okay.

FF14 and its expansions is where its at for underappreciated SE music. Never played the game once (not a MMO kinda person) but its tracks are sublime.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If Automata's is already god tier then what does that make the first game's OST?

Lesser god tier. Honestly it's just as good, just that Automata did a masterful job of implementing it throughout the game that I rank it a bit higher.

it was Abby from Giant Bomb. She didn't like the game (as she's allowed to) but she was trying to knock it down a peg during their GOTY music discussion.

Didn't really work

Oh yeah, she did say it too, but I was referring to someone else lol

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Yep, easily one of the best soundtracks to emerge from the entire medium. Right up there with some of the best film soundtracks ever. The first time I played through the game I was astonished at how the music enhanced every place and scene.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not joking when I say this, but I think both NieR OST's are one of humanity's greatest works of art.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
It is rather wonderful. A perfect mix of new stuff and callbacks/tracks from NieR.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
It was my album of the year 2017, but I've since sat down and thought long and hard about it.

Compared it to my favorite video game albums from the past.

Now I think I can say, this is my favorite videogame soundtrack of all time.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes. Sorry to hear that. I bought the aforementioned nier box set from squeenix a few weeks ago and did the standard 5-10 day shipping... It arrived in two days.
for me 2-5 was same price as 5-10, just got a shipping notification and it's maybe arriving on Monday. I'm not entirely sure though cause i got a USPS tracking number for it but i also got a DHL text this morning saying monday delivery, but i also have another package coming from DHL. At least my mech edition of Left Alive is coming via UPS on tuesday.

Back on topic I just added the NieR: Automata soundtrack to my spotify so i can listen to it whenever. I'm tempted to get the NieR Orchestral CD, I already own the Automata Orchestral CD and it's very nice.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
When this comes on during that one particular side-mission:

Perfect. But yeah, I'm also another in the camp who enjoys the original's OST more. Love Automata, though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Never played the original Nier, just the automata, but gatdamn am I tempted to get its OST from listening to this.

Nier 1's OST quite literally crushes Automata's to dust and blows it away in the wind. It's incredible, and a lot of Automata's best tracks are just covers/arrangements of stuff from the first game.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's good, but the first game's soundtrack is better.

That's why the best tracks from Automata are from the original.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
Nier 1's OST quite literally crushes Automata's to dust and blows it away in the wind. It's incredible, and a lot of Automata's best tracks are just covers/arrangements of stuff from the first game.
whew.png
Alright, you sold me on purchasing it as I regard the Automata OST as one of my top 3 VG OST. of all time.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer Automata ost to the first NieR mostly on the strength of how the game utilizes its soundtrack. Automata really punctuates every moment with the right music.

Also as much as I love The Wretched Automatons, all the junk cheap visits and grinding can really burn you out on it

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer Automata ost to the first NieR mostly on the strength of how the game utilizes its soundtrack. Automata really punctuates every moment with the right music.

Also as much as I love The Wretched Automatons, all the junk cheap visits and grinding can really burn you out on it

Automata really has the same problem in my book. There isn't enough environmental variety in the game so you're constantly hearing the same five or six songs over and over again. It's a general series flaw, rather than something specific to either game.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
Seeing people talk about the soundtrack always brings me back to the first teaser at E3 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH26BfSo7co

Saito's name right off the bat, Nier among his works. "No way!". Then Yoshida and Taura and I'm like "yeah, I guess it's something else but man this kinda sounds like--"

Keiichi Okabe

"...yeah like Okabe's stuff in Nier."

Yoko Taro

"Are you fucking serious?"

They were, the madmen. Platinum doing a Nier sequel. Completely unfathomable at the time.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even care for Japanese games and I have Automata OST on my phone playlist. However, I prefer other tracks than the OP suggested.

Kumomeme

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Malaysia
Eh, I probably skip every other song. It's ok. We're talking about the 3 CD release right? Having not played the game half the tracks didn't really stand on their own. Maybe the degree to which you like the games resonates with the soundtrack's enjoyment.

Maybe I'll listen to Nier's OST since a large number are praising it just as much if not more.

After hearing god tier status for so long I too found it to be... okay.

FF14 and its expansions is where its at for underappreciated SE music. Never played the game once (not a MMO kinda person) but its tracks are sublime.

Agreed

Masayoshi Soken certainly among the best composer in SE

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing people talk about the soundtrack always brings me back to the first teaser at E3 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH26BfSo7co

Saito's name right off the bat, Nier among his works. "No way!". Then Yoshida and Taura and I'm like "yeah, I guess it's something else but man this kinda sounds like--"

Keiichi Okabe

"...yeah like Okabe's stuff in Nier."

Yoko Taro

"Are you fucking serious?"

They were, the madmen. Platinum doing a Nier sequel. Completely unfathomable at the time.

We'll never have a moment like that again. The power in that reveal was unreal. The fans all knew how amazing this game would be.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
You can't go wrong with any song from the original or Automata, but here's my personal favorite that is criminally under-used in the game itself.

definedMF

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto Canada
I genuinely can't explain the ethereal and euphoric feeling this game gave me, and thats entirely owed to the marvelous soundtrack. It's what made me truly care for the people and world in the first NieR.

Utterly. Marvelous.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For those unaware, And I'm assuming most of you are, the SinoAlice soundtrack is by the same team and it sounds like just something out of NieR. Do listen to it. It's pretty damn great too.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Oh my jrpg goddess where hath this been all my life. I've had Automata on my shelf for a while and have yet to open it, but after hearing this I am diving in tonight.

GOD TIER

Birth of a Wish (this cannot continue version) is my cellphone ringtone.

Nier Automa OST is by far my favorite OST in any game, so many great songs.

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
Their live concert is the only video game concert I watched from start to finish. Excellent soundtrack.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Damn straight, it's amazing.
Comparing it to to NieR, I think the original hits higher highs than Automata, but Automata has a much more consistently great OST.

Can't really go wrong with either though

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I hit play and this is making me more feel more awake than I've been at 8:10am in a long time. Talk about gives me life.
They had one of the newer guys do the new arrangements when they reused some of the first game's tracks, and the results are always interesting. He really went in a different direction with some of them.

Damn straight, it's amazing.
Comparing it to to NieR, I think the original hits higher highs than Automata, but Automata has a much more consistently great OST.
Automata also covers A LOT more than the first game. It's not just one piece of music, but multiple versions and layers, and all get used in the game in some thematically appropriate way. The sheer breadth of it is astounding.

NieR is fantastic and has some of the best pieces in the series, but the scope is a lot smaller, and it concentrates too much on different arrangements for a few key themes.

They work best as a pair, because Automata incorporates and extends and improves a lot of the same melodies (and that's not even counting the new arrangements).