• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Oh my jrpg goddess where hath this been all my life. I've had Automata on my shelf for a while and have yet to open it, but after hearing this I am diving in tonight.

GOD TIER

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You ain't heard nothing yet.

Don't click any links, just dive in.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Now you're going to find out the game is god tier as well.

enjoy it!

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It is incredible. Normally for games like this i'll throw on a podcast during downtime but I just couldn't with Nier. Had to play with my headphones on the entire time.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it is. I'm glad you like it OP.

BUT

Nier's OST is better than NA's OST: :P

My views on the OST of both games are that NieR's music is the single greatest soundtrack ever created for a video game and can be slotted into any situation, whereas Automata's music is more specific to its circumstance.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Okabe baby won best Score/Music of that year right?

- Copied City
- End of the Unknown

Are two of my favorites.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
For decades i have put the Chrono Cross soundtrack well above anything else out there. This one comes the closest.

-2B-

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 23, 2018
I have all the OSTs, piano collections and Orchestrial versions. Such good stuff.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I was listening to disc 3 of the cd soundtrack on my way into work today. Listened to the whole thing many times, still picking out new moments I never noticed before.

Also have the first Automata concert on bluray and the second one is gonna be delivered tomorrow or friday, it just came out.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
I have all the OSTs, piano collections and Orchestrial versions. Such good stuff.
48003.jpg

-2B-

I don't believe you! :P

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The man and Emi Adams are musical genius, but no shit I think that look at my avatar. However while both nier soundtracks are genius give some love drakengard 3, this song brings me to tears by itself.... also some nightmare fuel but it's so powerful.

Nier automatas soundtrack is even more impressive when you are familiar with the original. It rhymes with previous songs and bubbles up emotions from previous music cues but is done subtle enough you wouldn't ever pick up on it if you didn't know

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
also highlights the localization team's effort as the automata track in the OP for example is also translated :D and it's actually even better in english than the japanese version!

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, it's all time great soundtrack. It's also one of the best integrated soundtracks of all time too, just with the transitions and how it's all seamlessly synced to the gameplay. For example the chiptune versions of every track, and there also many examples of the music changing on the fly to suit boss fights or other big events. It's all extremely well done. Can't forget to mention Weight of the World either, especially the Japanese version which is almost guaranteed to give an emotional response.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
#NoLiesDetected

And I just so happened that I am listening to Disk 3 of the soundtrack right now in my ol' CD player! This was my #1 listened to album when it released.

I even bought the Orchestral Arrangement LE but haven't opened it yet.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
It's an all time great, for sure.

It's also great because there's a track named Grandma: Destruction

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
Agree completely, and I haven't even played the game yet (I plan to do it soon though)

But what I've heard so far has been sublime

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
#NoLiesDetected

And I just so happened that I am listening to Disk 3 of the soundtrack right now in my ol' CD player! This was my #1 listened to album when it released.

I even bought the Orchestral Arrangement LE but haven't opened it yet.
I didn't care for the orchestra version, to be honest.

They got it right with the normal version and I found the orchestra version loses some things in translation.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Eh. Original Nier's soundtrack is better. The fact the overworld music in Automata regularly glitches so only the piano track plays without any of the other layers is fucking torture to me.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad you're liking it, IMO its the OST of the generation. We've had some incredible music but Okabe is just so far ahead of the curve its scary.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I think I agree with this.

And here I thought I was being hyperbolic lol

Like, just put Shadowlord over any final boss, or Hills of Radiant Wind over any long grassland or field, or The Wretched Automatons over any mechanical industrial area, or City of Commerce over any beachfront area. It just instantly clicks, like those songs are the primal embodiment of the settings and feelings they're trying to convey.

By contrast, NieR Automata's music feels specific to it, and could only work within itself the way most game OSTs do.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, I'd say top tier tho. There's only one that I might consider god tier which is Umineko's

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The best soundtrack moments for me in Automata were callbacks to the original. It's still great on its own, but OG Nier is still a tier above in my eyes (and ears).

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Playing through Nier Automata and you catch little motifs from the original Nier soundtrack

tenor.gif

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One year+ since i played the game and not a single day has passed that I didn't hear at least once song from the soundtrack(also includes Nier but i haven't played the first game yet)

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
OSTs for both games are absolutely ace and some of the best compositions and performances I have ever heard. And Emi Evans voice is well past angelic. There are some tracks on both OSTs that I can sit down and listen to and just... cry. Not to mention both games are amazing but the OSTs absolutely stand out.