• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Yup.

Again, I understand if you chose not to believe the numbers, I'm just speaking as someone who has seen how the sausage is made.

If you doubt them, Nintendo's earnings call will be there.
I'm just saying be wary of these numbers when these guys are just making estimates.

Also there is no proof that Nintendo endorsed these numbers or okayed this estimate release, which is what I think you were alluding was likely to be the case by using potential libel as evidence. It's just an estimate, I doubt this would qualify as libel.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine getting this upset about projected videogame sales numbers because someone dared estimate an exclusive Nintendo Animal simulator outsold one of the "big boy mature titles" lol...

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
Even if the numbers are inaccurate, if AC did even remotely similar digital sales as the games on the top of the list it's still unprecedented. Imagine that many DIGITAL sales from a exclusive console game that happens to also be widely known as the console with the worst online infrastructure. Bonus: the least teraflops as well lol.

It really is all about the the games, if you needed any more confirmation.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine getting this upset about projected videogame sales numbers because someone dared estimate an exclusive Nintendo Animal simulator outsold one of the "big boy mature titles" lol...
You can egg people on without the fallacies you know. The estimates are about digital sales only, not total physical and digital combined.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
How do they know? Nintendo doesn't release thier digital stuff to third party companies.

This is nothing more than vgchartz level guesstimating.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
Even if this isn't a reliable source this isn't that unlikely. Especially with GTA, which launched in 2013 on last gen consoles.

^^

Yeah the usual suspects are apparent here. What's funny to me is that sure, it could be inaccurate. They may have overestimated the numbers. But who's to say they couldn't have underestimated them either? There's a difference between skepticism and going "lol it didn't beat GTA"

Oct 26, 2017
Dude!! Congrats on the recovery! That's awesome this game got you through tough times!
Thank you. It helped a lot to keep in touch with the outside world. Even if I didn't have the energy to play more than 15 minutes at a time initially.

Godspeed Boris.

I hope you're feeling much better.
Thank you as well.
Yes my recovery goes relatively well, albeit it's very very slow. If I'm lucky there will be no permanent damage to speak of. And I might be able to return to my wife next week. Fingers crossed.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Bumping this since we've had it confirmed that the game sold half its sales digitally:

Seeing as it sold over 11 million by the end of March chances are high it was in the same ballpark as CoD with 5 million eShop sales.

Yeah that would be closer to 6M digital then (50% of 11.77M is 5.88M). So Superdata was wrong, they just were wrong in the way most people weren't expecting.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I know this is a meme but a legitimate Pokemon x Animal Crossing crossover event would be massive
This is going to be the greatest crossover.

I can't wait to be able to interact with talkable Pokemon, chit-chat, and hang out with the Squirtle Squad, watch the legendary Dialga and Palkia comedy duo show, and trying to recreate Pokemon Mystery Dungeon lore.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Well thereitis.gif. Never thought a Nintendo game would rival Rockstar's massive franchise. Imagine if Animal Crossing were to be placed in a bigger open world like GTA, would be my ideal game.

Edit: Aww thought this thread came from the Nintenod report but see it was debunked :(. Still 5 million downloads ain't too shabby for this franchise.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had the physical version pre order but due to lockdown I decided to just go digitally.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
How much has nintendo earned with all this digital sales? Their margin with AC must be anormal. Too high.

And that's good for the game on the long run, since the used market won't be completely overbloated with used copies.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
That is insane. Though it shouldn't actually be surprising. There has always been an astronomically large market for non-violent angry-protagonist games. Even amongst those who like violent games.

If more games catered to Animal Crossings market you'd see even higher sales I reckon.

Question though: how do they know it's 40% women? I understand websites can get customer data but how does the Nintendo E-shop know?

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
HOLY

FUCKING

SHIT

So it was actually probably higher than the prediction?!?!?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That is insane. Though it shouldn't actually be surprising. There has always been an astronomically large market for non-violent angry-protagonist games. Even amongst those who like violent games.

If more games catered to Animal Crossings market you'd see even higher sales I reckon.

Question though: how do they know it's 40% women? I understand websites can get customer data but how does the Nintendo E-shop know?

I think Nintendo gets that info primarily from surveys.

No prob! :)

Still a suspicious lack of activity for such an impossible feat being all-but confirmed as an accurate prediction.

"Company with no idea" apparently 😔

Too much uneaten crow.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
HOLY

FUCKING

SHIT

So it was actually probably higher than the prediction?!?!?

Yeah.

But we don't know for sure, hence why I say 'in the same ballpark'. Since there's a *chance* that sales in March were more lopsided in favour of physical for... reasons. Still the people saying 'lmao' and bolting are wrong regardless because unless the game sold like 9 million physical copies in March that's like the only (impossible) way that it didn't come close to CoD's record like they obviously thought would be the case.