• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
This is not an argument for how the comments are "racist". Where is your evidence that the comments are racist?
People are calling us rapists and murderers.

Except this is a concert paid for by the government, and directly part of the Saudi Vision 2030 plan, specifically designed to spread propaganda for and legitimize the current regime?
No it's not. There's no need for propaganda when most people are pro-government. It's a development program, it's only propaganda to the westerners.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
No it's not. There's no need for propaganda when most people are pro-government. It's a development program, it's only propaganda to the westerners.

Good to see your apparent support for a brutal, autocratic, right-wing regime. Totally helps your "why can't you separate a country from its government?" angle

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say most posts are racist, some less grossly than others.

My point is there's a double standard about how we approach topics based on which country it's about. I'll be banned if I entered every US thread to complain about their concentration camps, their kidnapping of children, their literal nazis, their war crimes, their nuclear attacks, their stolen land, their lack of clean water, their black genocide, their Iraqi genocide, their domestic murderers, their rapist veterans, and so on and so forth.

If you can divorce a country from its government you can do it to other countries. Full stop.

And yes, as far as I'm considered the US is the most reprehensible country in the world.

Since "most" of the posts in this thread are racist, I'd say it should be easy for you to present the receipts.

Also, good job on the thread derail, which was probably your intention from the get go.

Everything said against Saudi Arabia in this thread is well deserved. It's a shitty misogynistic country that's a blight on humanity.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
I never said I supported them, don't put words into my mouth.

I apologize. It seemed that way from my end the way you downplayed the point, sorry for the assumption.

Vision 2030 is helping the country and people living here whether you like it or not. Heck we're getting Nicki Minaj.

Although, again, this completely invalidates your "separate the country from the government" line.

It's the equivalent of Minaj performing in a concert paid for by Trump, for the explicit purpose of legitimizing Trump's regime and the MAGA 2020 plan.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond

Most people are talking about the Saudi regime. Some of that is being generalized to the Saudi people (which I'll grant is wrong). But that's not "racist" because Saudis aren't a race. Nor is it general bigotry because no one is saying Saudis are bad because of inherent characteristics, and again almost all of the criticism is directed towards the Saudi regime.

What people are advocating is no different than the BDS movement. Because Saudi is a particularly bad actor on the global stage in regards to human rights they feel that it is better for artists to have nothing to do with the country because at a minimum is can be used as propaganda to justify those human rights violations.

Clearly you are more than welcome to criticize the US for it's own bad acting and human rights violations, and call for a boycott movement there as well. But to bluntly, with no evidence and using the word wrong, say people are being "racist" and whataboutisming the US is a poor way to discuss a topic productively.

The productive thing to do is to acknowledge the criticisms of the government and concerns about propaganda, but differentiate the people and counter argue that perhaps boycotting is an inefficient strategy to enact change.

Oct 27, 2017
I apologize. It seemed that way from my end the way you downplayed the point, sorry for the assumption.

Although, again, this completely invalidates your "separate the country from the government" line.

It's the equivalent of Minaj performing in a concert paid for by Trump, for the explicit purpose of legitimizing Trump's regime and the MAGA 2020 plan.
Eh no because she's not from Saudi Arabia. A more apt comparison would be a kpop group or British singers performing at a trump concert. She's completely divorced from their government and what they do has no effect on her or her family

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Is this fair? Should people of Saudi Arabia be ostracize from artists because of the country's regime?

I'm genuinely asking, I don't know the answer.

People boycotted South Africa and people are boycotting the West Bank now. I don't see why Saudi Arabia should be exempt.

The US has kids in cages should artists perform there? Where is the line?

They live here. Not to mention there are plenty of artists that have been overtly critical of the US.

Tounsi_Tag

Oct 29, 2017
The Saudi regime's been promoting its new approach to cultural openness at a pace that doesn't really equate social reforms from within. To the outsider, having concerts, bringing Nicki Minaj and finally allowing women to drive would give the illusion of change but the situation of woman and deep enshrinement of religious scholars is still as rampant as ever. They've gone from 0 to a 100 entertainment-wise with their 2030 vision in a way that doesn't follow up with real-life implications.

The Kafala and Wilaya systems, as well as many repressive legal institutions stil, exist. Add to that the hypocrisy of the political elite and wealthy Saudis who are out of the vicinity of punishment for acts that would incriminate regular Saudis.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
The biggest difference between the US and Saudi Arabia, South Africa and other oppressive regimes is that the US's current abuses are, to a very notable and traceable extent, a product of its own citizens' making. When you vote for the Republican Party or decide to stay home because the Democratic frontrunner doesn't meet your liberal litmus test, things like concentration camps, draconian abortion laws, threats to eliminate government-funded health care, inaction on gun control, and etc. all slowly but surely become reality. In the US, voting is a power that can and will lead to change. But in Saudi Arabia, the average person just doesn't have the same clout to push for change.

I've been to Saudi Arabia 3 times (all before Khashoggi) to accompany Japanese game creators there (one of them was a woman, even!). The reason they agreed to go is because they simply wanted to meet ordinary Saudi Arabian youth and gamers. They know Arab gamers are passionate through interactions with people from other GCC/Arab nations, so they didn't want to pass up the opportunity to meet and potentially inspire these people, many of whom want to become game creators themselves. None of them supported the terrible things their government was doing. A handful of them even supported things like LGBT rights in the West, others were in the closet themselves. Others wanted to flee to the West or Japan themselves one day. I don't think these ordinary people should be forgotten.

Not saying that my situation is the same as Nicki Minaj or the WWE's, but it's worth thinking about it from that lens.

She pulls out

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Nicki pulls out.
"After careful reflection I have decided to no longer move forward with my scheduled concert at Jeddah World Fest. While I want nothing more than to bring my show to fans in Saudi Arabia, after better educating myself on the issues, I believe it is important for me to make clear my support for the rights of women, the LGBTQ community and freedom of expression," Minaj said in a statement Tuesday to The Associated Press.

Nicki >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> WWE

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I was one finger click away from posting the update when I saw two other people did at the exact same time lol.

Good on her.

Oct 27, 2017
Good for her. I wonder who told her this would be easy money, rather than a PR headache she ultimately won't be getting paid for?

Oct 27, 2017
I just love how you guys think these pop stars are above taking money from the Saudi's. Their money is just as good as anyone else's (moreso, since they have much more to freely spend).

stop ascribing your value system to strangers.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Respect +1000 for Nicki

This was the only acceptable decision. No self respecting artist should ever perform in Saudi Arabia.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oooooohhh

I never said I supported them, don't put words into my mouth. Vision 2030 is helping the country and people living here whether you like it or not.

Yikes

Issa said:
Heck we're getting Nicki Minaj.

I'm afraid that plan has been dismembered.

BTW your entire thread activity has been absolutely bizarre. You don't support the regime but are enthusiastically determined to say most of your countrymen do?

And you know what Vision 2030 is intended to do, right?

And which "race" are the people who continue to qualify posts with "regime" and "mbs" are racist against? The race of the WaPo journalist they're lamenting? How does that work. Are they racist against PK Botha? Or could that be something else?

Last edited:

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The US has kids in cages should artists perform there? Where is the line?

KSA is only 100 times worse than what is happening even under trump now. Women are slaves, people are beheaded, immigrants are slave labor and they chop up journalists. Plus financing terrorism, war in Yemen, trying to stir a war between US and Iran.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
That's a damn good statement. You don't get something like "after better educating myself on the issues" from most statementskke that from celebrities.

So much for the "she's being forced to do this because she's broke" guy earlier in the thread.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Im not sure whats up with saudi arabia, but if it is about money I think it is understandable. Everybody has their own priority, to me money is

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Glad she reconsidered.

Also I'm sure there was probably a laundry list of rules handed to her and she probably realized what she was getting into

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Is ok, women and LGBT+ folks suffer enough as it is to then having to go and listen to Megatron or anything from The Pinkprint live.

Generous and self-aware Queen!

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Perhaps I'm thinking of someone else with a similar avatar.. but aren't you gay?
Gay people are not treated well in Saudi Arabia, to say the least.
I am. But i actually dont mind that much because thats her problem. Aside of that, i dont even want to visit those countries along with dubai, turkey, iran, and yeah things around that line.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Good on Nikki. Hope it causes a wave of artists never being able to do this.

Saudi royals need to go.

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
BTW your entire thread activity has been absolutely bizarre. You don't support the regime but are enthusiastically determined to say most of your countrymen do?
I never said I don't support the regime. There's no freedom of speech thus I never speak my opinion, I'm just mentioning facts.

And you know what Vision 2030 is intended to do, right?
Again for you it's propaganda because you aren't seeing the benefits of it. Only an idiot would think Saudi is gonna change politically.

And which "race" are the people who continue to qualify posts with "regime" and "mbs" are racist against? The race of the WaPo journalist they're lamenting? How does that work. Are they racist against PK Botha? Or could that be something else?
People are not specifically talking about the regime or MBS, they are saying Saudi and the country. That's mostly the people not the government.

Jul 19, 2018
Don't know why people are giving minaj credit really. She's backed out due to the bad PR, not because of some epiphany. Some message written by her marketing people doesn't change that.

anamika

May 18, 2018
KSA is only 100 times worse than what is happening even under trump now. Women are slaves, people are beheaded, immigrants are slave labor and they chop up journalists. Plus financing terrorism, war in Yemen, trying to stir a war between US and Iran.

Well, the US also finances terrorism, Obama authorized the war in Yemen, it's American bombs that's been dropped on Yemeni civilians, and the current US administration also wants a war in Iran to help their buddies Israel/Saudi Arabia and to continue funding the American defense companies.

No doubt, Saudi Arabia is a theocratic, authoritarian regime with a horrible human right's records, the biggest exporter of terrorism around the world and Minaj is right to boycott. There's no comparison to the US here even with Trump. But on foreign policy the US is as bad as the Saudis.

And I will also say that Saudi Arabia is not a democracy. For the most part the people living there don't have a choice on who rules there. Dissenters are tortured and killed off in terrible ways.

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
The Saudi regime's been promoting its new approach to cultural openness at a pace that doesn't really equate social reforms from within. To the outsider, having concerts, bringing Nicki Minaj and finally allowing women to drive would give the illusion of change but the situation of woman and deep enshrinement of religious scholars is still as rampant as ever. They've gone from 0 to a 100 entertainment-wise with their 2030 vision in a way that doesn't follow up with real-life implications.

Renegade Cut did a video about it: