• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

Original:

D-CoiljVAAA-zq4.jpg

Stolen:

D-CoJgDVAAEZGK0.jpg

This is pretty self-explanatory, here's the promo itself.

The funniest thing about this entire incident is that if you search "spongebob background" into Google Images, the fan piece is literally the first result. Like, no effort went into actually attempting to pass this off as something legit, lmao.

FT8M5cQ.png

Also Film Theory used this particular background, too. The power, the INFLUENCE of this damn background is beyond me.

5QKojj1.png

Last edited:

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
ive worked in marketing for 10 years, at companies WAY smaller than nick.

Its so weird to me when this happens. I have to go through legal sometimes just to use stock footage and photos i bought. We even send our own images to get checked for plagiarism even if we made them ourselves.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
So how does this happen, usually? Somebody just searches the internet for what they're looking for the same way I do when making a meme? 🤔

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
So how does this happen, usually? Somebody just searches the internet for what they're looking for the same way I do when making a meme? 🤔

Basically yes. It's unfortunately still a prevailing mindset that the Internet is still this "Wild West" that can be endlessly plundered, especially when it comes to art. And a big company like Nick's got enough money to let them throw their weight around.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just apologize, Nickelodeon, say someone from the marketing team made a mistake, pay this guy 200 bucks and be done with it.