• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
In an online environment you have players of different skill-level facing each other. Having advanced movement, which are just better then normal movement, you will discourage casual players. This is clearly advertise as an casual game, so those should be your priority.

Smash Brothers is still a extremely popular series since it balance casual and competitive gameplay.
Brawl is one of the most obnoxiously restrictive games ever made and that did nothing to stop good players from absolutely shitting on scrubs.

The most important thing is to make mechanics that are intuitive to understand and don't insert unecessary tech skill floors for things that don't need it. Slap city already majorly addressed melee's sometimes-silly execution barrier by changing L-cancels to something optional instead of something you want to do every time (L-cancels preserve landing momentum), you can do whatever you want out of a dash and turn around at any point without needing to cancel something, there's a configurable input buffer, etc.

Ludosity found a very happy medium with their last game.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
A game having depth for competitive play doesn't equal a difficult game to play. Maybe difficult to master, sure, but that's not how the large majority of the people will play.. give fun mechanics and flashy and cool attacks, it's all it matters.

For most, all it matters you can make Reptar and Powdered Toast Man fight.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Slapcity feels better to move around than Ultimate for me, even with the polish/budget difference being really apparant. Can't wait to schmove in this game, moonwalking around with Korra will be really fun

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
What if there's an Adventure Mode and it's themed to Legends of the Hidden Temple!?

Ugh, damnit, now I'm gonna be sad when that's not a thing.

It'd be pretty sweet if they treated this game like more than a cash grab, with actual DLC and character reveals and a sequel. There's more than enough Nick stuff to draw on for it.

Was the CN Smash game a genuinely bad game or just disappointing? I always wanted to try it for fun.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The CN Smash I recall was all around bad except they got some of the voices back I guess.

It had Captain Planet as a secret character which was neat.

Jun 8, 2018
Can the people behind this game meet the expectations for people going into this with a competitive mindset in terms of balance and all that, like a Smash has? I'm really excited about this game and I hope its going to be great.

the people behind this made Slap City, a competitive platform fighter. And it has rollback net code. Also on the main website it says "competitive online play"

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
People always talk about how no one else has a library of loved characters to make a game like smash with, but Nickelodeon really does. I hope this is good.

All I want is to play as Ty Lee.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
So... I'm guessing 30 characters in the final roster, and we have around 19 now (if Ren & Stimpy are a duo); then I'd expect to complete the roster...

20 - Arnold (Hey Arnold!)
21 - Squidward (SpongeBob)
22 - Plankton (SpongeBob)
23 - Raphael (TMNT)
24 - Donatello (TMNT)
25 - Shredder (TMNT)
26 - Jenny/XJ9 (My Life as a Teenage Robot)
27 - Rocko (Rocko's Modern Life)
28 - Garfield (Garfield)
29 - Jimmy Neutron (Jimmy Neutron)
30 - Timmy Turner (Fairly OddParents)

though this is not scratching the surface with fanservice and wild cards.. this is just the safe picks based in past Nicktoons crossovers.. I have a feeling they kinda front loaded their more crazy picks so the game would have a bigger splash on the announcement.

Again, not counting on DLC, but it could be a gold mine with characters like El Tigre, Kappa Mikey, Angry Beavers, etc

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
It's really crazy the amount of fan support this is receiving, I doubt they were expecting this- but I also hope it can live up to at least most of the hype.

Starting to get flashbacks to that Platinum developed Korra game!

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
Plans can change and you know how much shit devs catch when something everyone knew was going to happen doesn't.
I've been trying to respond to this for a while now so i guess I'll try to sum up my thoughts.
If what's concerning you is that you'd hate to see backlash from a misinterpretation of the messaging from the publisher; fair enough. Even though I'd posit that the publisher still earns the lion's share of the backlash because they are first and foremost responsible for how their messaging could be interpreted.

If the concern is that "who knows what could happen behind closed doors between now and then", then two things: first, it takes exceptional circumstances for a game at this advanced stage of development (i.e. less than 6 months out from release) to have something as drastic as a character in a fighting game be in limbo. We're talking catastrophic mismanagement. Second, the people who made the decision to put forth the information in these promotional materials make it their day job to consider how the messaging will be perceived. This would also take colossal incompetence to be mistake. Put simply, the odds are in our favor that we can take things at face value.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I've been trying to respond to this for a while now so i guess I'll try to sum up my thoughts.
If what's concerning you is that you'd hate to see backlash from a misinterpretation of the messaging from the publisher; fair enough. Even though I'd posit that the publisher still earns the lion's share of the backlash because they are first and foremost responsible for how their messaging could be interpreted.

If the concern is that "who knows what could happen behind closed doors between now and then", then two things: first, it takes exceptional circumstances for a game at this advanced stage of development (i.e. less than 6 months out from release) to have something as drastic as a character in a fighting game be in limbo. We're talking catastrophic mismanagement. Second, the people who made the decision to put forth the information in these promotional materials make it their day job to consider how the messaging will be perceived. This would also take colossal incompetence to be mistake. Put simply, the odds are in our favor that we can take things at face value.
To your first point: Sure, but there's no real reason to add fuel to the fire. This site especially news and rumors spread fast from and folks take at face value, ya know?

To your second: Even Melee and Brawl were either rushing to finish or flat out scrapping characters right up to the last minute. Sonic's moveset is so boring because he got approved and put in months before Brawl released. Things change last minute, regardless of competence.

To your third point: Correct. And they chose to present them as silhouettes.

I'm not against acknowledging what the silhouettes appear to indicate in the OP. I just think we should be careful calling hard confirms of characters that aren't yet confirmed.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So... I'm guessing 30 characters in the final roster, and we have around 19 now (if Ren & Stimpy are a duo); then I'd expect to complete the roster...

23 - Raphael (TMNT)
24 - Donatello (TMNT)
25 - Shredder (TMNT)
28 - Garfield (Garfield)

though this is not scratching the surface with fanservice and wild cards.. this is just the safe picks based in past Nicktoons crossovers.. I have a feeling they kinda front loaded their more crazy picks so the game would have a bigger splash on the announcement.

Again, not counting on DLC, but it could be a gold mine with characters like El Tigre, Kappa Mikey, Angry Beavers, etc
All 4 turtles and Shredder feels like overkill. Garfield would rule though.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
I can't believe how hyped I am for this game. The movement in Slap City felt so good. Even if the initial hype doesn't last more than a couple months, I'll be happy. I'm buying this Day 1.

Aug 13, 2019
At first I thought I wasn't going to be interested in this, but then I watched the trailer and saw Nigel Thornberry, Zim, REPTAR(!), and Danny Phantom. Now I need to get this day one. I hope XJ9 is in this game. They've got an Aaahh! Real Monsters rep, there's no way they'd forget about Jenny.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
to your second: Even Melee and Brawl were either rushing to finish or flat out scrapping characters right up to the last minute. Sonic's moveset is so boring because he got approved and put in months before Brawl released. Things change last minute, regardless of competence.
I had a whole other thing written here, but reading carefully I guess the point you're getting at is just that we should be clear in reporting what exactly has been communicated? As in filing those characters under hard confirmation is technically inaccurate on the sole factor that there's literally not a name and face slapped together in an image that we can point people to in the same way we can link a video a right now where you can literally see a 3D model of Nigel Thornberry?

On that I can agree, if only just to make sure everyone can be on the same page. I'm very familiar with roster foibles and the FUD that comes with it (*coughpiratewarriors*)

What's a separate discussion that *I* thought was happening is the idea that the characters being shown as silhouettes is supposed to be a distinction, that it's meant to present these other characters somewhere further down the 'uncertainty' spectrum compared to those we saw in the trailer. That it means they're somehow less concrete because they aren't shown clearly. If you're disputing this I could say a lot more on the subject.

For right now, I'll leave this direct response to the quoted bit. You're right, there were things that changed over the course of development for those games, even late in. I'm saying for Melee or Brawl, or even across dozens of games, over 10+ years, I cannot call to mind a single instance of something as major as a playable character in a fighting game roster being teased by the people directly responsible for the product in a "you cannot possibly mistake this for something else" fashion, only to end up slipping through some cracks.

The one possibility I'll entertain is if some of these characters on the cover exist only in non-playable forms (like as assists or cutscene cameos), and some really detached people who got the marketing job don't make the distinction or didn't care to consider it in the creative process of designing the cover art. Ok, fine. Are they just not going to show up in the final product? Absolute clown shoes on someone's part if that happens.

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
I also posted this on another site but, I didn't really watch a lot of nickelodeon, aside from avatar are there any shows with (at least somewhat) overarching plots?

Oct 25, 2017
I also posted this on another site but, I didn't really watch a lot of nickelodeon, aside from avatar are there any shows with (at least somewhat) overarching plots?
TMNT, maybe Invader Zim, but most nicktoon shows were generally plot of the day fare. Even the ones with continuity like The Wild Thornberry's and My Life As A Teenage Robot.

Oct 12, 2020
Brawl is one of the most obnoxiously restrictive games ever made and that did nothing to stop good players from absolutely shitting on scrubs.

The most important thing is to make mechanics that are intuitive to understand and don't insert unecessary tech skill floors for things that don't need it. Slap city already majorly addressed melee's sometimes-silly execution barrier by changing L-cancels to something optional instead of something you want to do every time (L-cancels preserve landing momentum), you can do whatever you want out of a dash and turn around at any point without needing to cancel something, there's a configurable input buffer, etc.

Ludosity found a very happy medium with their last game.
Brawl was an unbalanced mess. We properly should talk about the more successful titles.
Besides that i agree and that was my intention with my first post in the thread. The game is clearly mainly target at a casual audience with competitive play in mind. Therefore skill should naturally evolve and not have "skill bumps", where player need to master an advance skill to become better.

L-Canceling is a good example. In Melee it is necessary 99% at the time and are just a skill check (which also wear of the player's hands ...). In Ultimate we have auto-canceling windows, where parts of a move's animation will cancel landing lag. So we went from a skill check to a knowledge check, which also can be easily balanced. This is something even a casual player may notice naturally in-game without the need of guidance.
This is something, i think, is the optimal design for a casual fighter with competitive elements. Take elements people like about advance moves and make them part of the normal controls. Attacking out of a dash, one advantage about Wavedashing , is also in Smash Ultimate besides Slap City. Increase movement options without the need of Wavedashing should also be a better solution for casual players then having advance inputs.

Another aspect, which should be unique to mascot fighters, is limiting the basic mechanics by design. Smash Brothers Ultimate shows, that instead of having many basic mechanics, it makes more sense to give fighters unique mechanics, so that they look crazy and unique on there own. For example there are five fighters with unique comeback mechanics, six with there own unique gauges and many moves or mechanics, which break the basic game rules. Similar how card games like Magic work, where some cards just break the game rules and turn the game around. Ultimate's DLC character all looked crazy to people in there reveal, since they look like breaking the game, but in the end there are (so far) balanced fine.

(I use Smash Ultimate as a good comparison, since it is well revised by casual and competitive fans and also is the best selling fighting game of all time.)

Kurumi

Oct 26, 2017
They can't make a game like this and not have Norb and Dag right? I mean it's Angry Beavers we're talking about here.

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017
Would a character from Action League Now! be a good fit or too fringe? Maybe they'd work as assist-types if thats a thing?

EDIT: Looks like some others already mentioned this possibility earlier in the thread. Hope it comes to fruition!

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping El Tigre makes it. One of the more underrated shows.

i also remember many years ago there was a Cartoon Network Smash Bros game on DS or 3DS. I remember reading a review of it in a Game Informer magazine. Wasn't that good.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

23 - Raphael (TMNT)
24 - Donatello (TMNT)
25 - Shredder (TMNT)
28 - Garfield (Garfield)

That's a solid ass line up. 30 makes the most sense to me, and there's some obvious picks like Arnold, Rocko, at least one more character from Spongebob and TMNT,. Personally I also think another Avatar character would make sense since it already has two characters on the cover. The rest are much less obvious though.

My picks were similar in that I chose:
20 - Squidward (Spongebob)
21 - Raphael (TMNT)
22 - Donatello (TMNT)
23 - Zuko (Avatar the Last Airbender)
24 - Arnold (Hey Arnold)
25 - Rocko (Rocko's Modern Life)
26 - Jimmy Neutron (Jimmy Neutron)
27 - Cosmo & Wanda (Fairly OddParents)
28 - Crimson Chin (Fairly OddParents)
29 - El Tigre (The Adventures of Manny Rivera)
30 - XJ9 (My Life as a Teenage Robot)

All 4 turtles and Shredder feels like overkill.
That's exactly what the last Nick crossover did, so it's not unrealistic. It's probably easier to make all four turtles since they share very similar models and some shared animations.