• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I recently watched an episode of Wild and Crazy Kids and it just seemed like random events happening really. Which is fun and i enjoyed it as a kid but looking back im like "what was happening in this show?" Theme song still slaps tho and the hosts were funny.
as a kid, it was a really fun thing to watch like "whoa they took over a mall and they're doing all kinds of weird crap!"

i saw only one episode as an adult and it was probably ten years ago at this rate. i remember having the same reaction you did where it was like, 'no... stakes or structure huh?' no prizes except keeping the shirts (which is pretty cool actually).

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
as a kid, it was a really fun thing to watch like "whoa they took over a mall and they're doing all kinds of weird crap!"

i saw only one episode as an adult and it was probably ten years ago at this rate. i remember having the same reaction you did where it was like, 'no... stakes or structure huh?' no prizes except keeping the shirts (which is pretty cool actually).

I do remember one game having rules where you had to keep water in a cup while riding a rollercoaster?

Ah actually here

I guess the shirts were the prize tho lol

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Bless, the old Sny Schneider footage. We miss you, Sny.

This episode is great. I love it. It's everything I wanted from a 10th anniversary retrospective. I love this channel. I'm so glad it exists.

Eta: Oh no, not pictures pages...

Last edited:

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I think his name was spelled as "Cy Schneider."

That was a lovely lookback. There was something about Nickelodeon's scrappy underdog quality in the 70s and 80s that was rather charming. I certainly wasn't alive to see any of this, mind you, but it was fun and illuminating to look back upon.

Now we can do the betting circle for movies of 1990 that Greg will mention. I'm guessing some combination of Pretty Woman, Home Alone, Goodfellas, Die Hard 2, RoboCop 2, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Back to the Future Part III, and Dances with Wolves.

On the TV side of things, I could see him mentioning In Living Color, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Beverly Hills, 90210, Tiny Toon Adventures, and the Disney Afternoon and Fox Kids blocks.

Last edited:

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I think his name was spelled as "Cy Schneider."

That was a lovely lookback. There was something about Nickelodeon's scrappy underdog quality in the 70's and 80's that was rather charming. I certainly wasn't alive to see any of this, mind you, but it was fun and illuminating to look back upon.

Now we can do the betting circle for movies of 1990 that Greg will mention. I'm guessing some combination of Pretty Woman, Home Alone, Goodfellas, Die Hard 2, RoboCop 2, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Back to the Future Part III, and Dances with Wolves.

On the TV side of things, I could see him mentioning In Living Color, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Beverly Hills, 90210, Tiny Toon Adventures, and the Disney Afternoon and Fox Kids blocks.

I would bet the disney afternoon and fox kids blocks get a deeper dive somewhere in 1990, in only to show what's going on in kids tv outside of nick (since that also influences nick's programming choices)

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I would bet the disney afternoon and fox kids blocks get a deeper dive somewhere in 1990, in only to show what's going on in kids tv outside of nick (since that also influences nick's programming choices)

Animaniacs and Tiny Toons were originally on Fox Kids before Kids WB right? If we don't get a deep dive soon, we'll get one on Fox Kids at least when he gets to those re-airing on Nick, presumably. It'll be a bit though, I suppose.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Animaniacs and Tiny Toons were originally on Fox Kids before Kids WB right? If we don't get a deep dive soon, we'll get one on Fox Kids at least when he gets to those re-airing on Nick, presumably. It'll be a bit though, I suppose.

Oh, yes. But I meant more of an overview of what fox kids and disney afternoon meant for nick

OP
OP
Shard Shinjuku
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa

That would be correct for Animaniacs but Tiny Toons started with its pilot airing on CBS, then it entered first run syndication and had its last season on Fox Kids.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
To usher out the 1980's (and '79!) I thought I'd watch every episode of nick knacks up through the 1980's retrospective ( I might skip the specials, and sample platters, tho).

HulkieD

Oct 27, 2017
That would be correct for Animaniacs but Tiny Toons started with its pilot airing on CBS, then it entered first run syndication and had its last season on Fox Kids.
Tiny Toons is weird - that second season was, from what I can tell, semi-officially Fox Kids. WB signed a deal in two parts in 1990 and 91, the first part for exclusive FK shows (Taz-Mania, Batman: TAS, Animaniacs) starting in 1991-92 and the second to get Tiny Toons and all remaining WB kids syndication over to Fox Kids. As part of this, Fox was selling ad time for Tiny Toons, and at least on some Fox affiliated stations they were using Fox Kids commercial bumps. (When I get to it on Fox Kids Club, Tiny Toons is "officially" 1992-93, but the relationship began *really* early.)

I finally found time between moving and work to get part two completed and I'm working out the final audio kinks now (should be up this week). This one pours quite a bit of ice water on the whole "Fox Kids is Fox's revenge on Disney" story. Disney shenanigans are definitely part of it but turns out the stations carrying Disney's shows were even more pissed at the Mouse than Fox Network brass!

I don't know how Greg does it, but admittedly his first episode had much less to establish than I've had to, holy hell.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017

(the preview the plays when my cursor's over it shows some shows from the disney afternoon, so he does cover that, at least a bit....a very little bit)

the year recaps are the most interesting, I think. Goodbye to Pinwheel, and You can't. I think the next long running show to go will be special delivery in 1994, and that'll be the end of the 80's (except for hey dude, but they're not making new episodes of that by then)

Great episode, especially considering how little he has to work with. Good episode to start off the 1990's off with. I was a little surprised that only 2 shows debuted on nick at night. I watch both dobie gillis, and Hitchcok, and dobie gillis is still one of my favorite shows.

Last edited:

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I think reruns of Mr. Wizard's World continued into 2000, and Double Dare's original series was still airing reruns on and off through the 90s, wasn't it?

Decent episode. Seeing the mini-history lesson on Nickelodeon Studios' "tour system" was neat.

Last edited:

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I think reruns of Mr. Wizard's World continued into 2000, and Double Dare's original series was still airing reruns on and off through the 90's, wasn't it?

Decent episode. Seeing the mini-history lesson on Nickelodeon Studios' "tour system" was neat.

I guess it depends on if you include just rerunning shows. Looking at nick and more, double dare's last regular airing was 1990, tho it would continue in reruns till 1993. Looking at wikipedia, family double dare didn't start on nick till 1990 (it ran on fox in 1988, tho I don't think that counts). Wikipedia says Mr. Wizard's world ended production in 1990, with reruns till 2000. So, going by Greg's rules, Special Delivery is the last show of the 1980's to end production, in 1994.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Oh, I was just talking about overall broadcasts. And I lumped the pre-2000 Double Dare series into one show, 'cause I frankly forgot that they were technically all different iterations, my bad.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, I was just talking about overall broadcasts. And I lumped the pre-2000 Double Dare series into one show, 'cause I frankly forgot that they were technically all different iterations, my bad.

Right, i get that, but he talked about You Can't leaving production in 1990, so I assume that's the baseline we can go with. And I completely understand mixing all the double dare iterations up, because they're all essentially the same show and we were kids, and didn't care too much about the title :)

LocalA

Oct 29, 2017
I think reruns of Mr. Wizard's World continued into 2000, and Double Dare's original series was still airing reruns on and off through the 90's, wasn't it?

Yeah, Mr. Wizard definitely aired until later on in 2000, as part of cable in the classroom. I have an episode on tape from '00 and right at the end they actually were using the show's original theme and graphics, it was kind of a trip.

Double Dare in its various forms aired all throughout the 90s, the Family era aired consistently on weekends until 1999 and the 80s iterations at least aired off and on as late as 1994. I've got a few episodes on tape from the summer of '94 where they were airing Super Sloppy Double Dare on weekday mornings.

And I agree too, I thought the Outta Here video was a good look at the beginnings of Nick Studios and its early productions. I don't remember much from it, but it as well as the other game shows airing at the time were part of the reason I wanted to visit Universal so bad as a kid.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017

(the preview the plays when my cursor's over it shows some shows from the disney afternoon, so he does cover that, at least a bit....a very little bit)

the year recaps are the most interesting, I think. Goodbye to Pinwheel, and You can't. I think the next long running show to go will be special delivery in 1994, and that'll be the end of the 80's (except for hey dude, but they're not making new episodes of that by then)

Great episode, especially considering how little he has to work with. Good episode to start off the 1990's off with. I was a little surprised that only 2 shows debuted on nick at night. I watch both dobie gillis, and Hitchcok, and dobie gillis is still one of my favorite shows.

My god that intro showing what happened in 1990 was crazy. Lot of pop culture things happened then and not to mention political things.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I remember this one, though I remember the show that came before it more for video game reviews/previews.

HulkieD

Oct 27, 2017
My god that intro showing what happened in 1990 was crazy. Lot of pop culture things happened then and not to mention political things.
ESPECIALLY in animation. According to an overseas animation supervisor on the Bill and Ted cartoon, Wang Film Productions apparently animated more minutes of animation that year alone than Disney handled in total up to that point in their history. Which, if true, is nuts.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if he's going to do an episode on cartoon all-stars to the rescue. It aired on nick, but wasn't a series, per se. I hope he does.

(also, good bye to my favorite nick series, mysterious cities of gold. *sighs* for my money, the best thing on nick in the 80's)

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I also liked that he went a bit more into out of control. I remember watching it forever, and I guess it must've been when it was on in the afternoon.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Thank you for treadmarking the list. i didn't know f-troop was on nick. Be interesting to hear his thoughts on it. Also, the mork and mindy episode promised waaaaay back in the very first episode.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
HAHAHA I used to watch F-Troop with my mom with Green Acres and everything else. I'm glad to see Welcome Freshman finally cropping up. I have memories of the show but nothing very specific outside of a kid being put into a basketball hoop? I'm very interested to finally see what that show was about after all these years of just having the faintest memory.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
HAHAHA I used to watch F-Troop with my mom with Green Acres and everything else. I'm glad to see Welcome Freshman finally cropping up. I have memories of the show but nothing very specific outside of a kid being put into a basketball hoop? I'm very interested to finally see what that show was about after all these years of just having the faintest memory.

It's weird. The first season is a sketch comedy show, and the second season drops 2 cast members, gains 2 more, and becomes a generic high school comedy show.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Oh yeah, where's the Green Acres episode? Loved that show. I also really liked Welcome Freshman. The Merv-U-Mentary always stuck in my head... "Donde esta la biblioteca?"

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
It's weird. The first season is a sketch comedy show, and the second season drops 2 cast members, gains 2 more, and becomes a generic high school comedy show.

I'm beginning to think my memories are based more around season 2 then because I distinctly remember it being more of a sitcom. I also feel the same way about Roundhouse. I used to watch SNICK religiously and I have almost 0 memories of that show having been on the air. I'm excited for 1992 solely for that episode as well.