• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Expertly done. I've been hoping someone would take all the community wanted features and put together a polished visual example. These are all fantastic improvements, especially the quick inventory management, dropping and using. And the advanced tool belt has been on the top of my list for a while now.

Really nice to see these in motion. I subbed to the channel, I hope there's more of this on the way.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
The game is made for very young children. Forcing players to do stuff like organize your inventory manually and take items out of storage to make DIY items with them is intentional and a large part of the game design.

Just like Smash, the fanbase takes the game way more serious than Nintendo intends. We'll never get stuff like this in AC.
You hear that everybody! If you want to sort your inventory, you're taking things TOO SERIOUSLY.

AldabraRail

Banned
Sep 25, 2019
nintendo definitely shouldn't go as far as thing video suggests, but I think the series has gotten to a point where they need to think about balancing QoL stuff alongside the slow-paced vibe they're going for. they're heaping systems onto this series, and developing the interface in the exact same way they did for the GC AC doesn't work anymore. but taking it too far will make it feel like too transactional. definitely a difficult line to walk...

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Wtf that video was incredible lol, it legit felt like i was watching a legit Nintendo Direct, especially that music volume gag

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
jXzwBEm.jpg

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
I always found AC's lack QoL makes the game more interesting. Makes me appreciate the islands I see more cuz I relate to how much of a pain it must've been to make lollll

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
Some of these "changes" are things I hadn't even thought of, and now I'm just depressed knowing NONE of them will happen.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
The game is made for very young children. Forcing players to do stuff like organize your inventory manually and take items out of storage to make DIY items with them is intentional and a large part of the game design.

Just like Smash, the fanbase takes the game way more serious than Nintendo intends. We'll never get stuff like this in AC.
What? No, that's just bad game design intentional or not. Especially when Nintendo knows AC (and most of their games) are meant for all ages.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I disagree with any QoL changes in Animal Crossing. Everything should be as hard and take as long as in real life for full immersion

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What? No, that's just bad game design intentional or not. Especially when Nintendo knows AC (and most of their games) are meant for all ages.
I'm not sure why people think I'm defending it as good design, because it isn't. I'm only saying it was designed that way intentionally, and is unlikely to be changed in my opinion.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why people think I'm defending it as good design, because it isn't. I'm only saying it was designed that way intentionally, and is unlikely to be changed in my opinion.

The thing is that a lot of those changes would be things that if you didn't know how to use them, you could still just play the game as you do. Like right now a lot of people don't know that you can mash A to fast forward the crafting animation. Adding QOL changes isn't going to make the game difficult for children. They can still run all the way to the airport and go through the dialogue boxes to open their island/fly somewhere.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Seems a bit advanced, and I expected it to be a bit over-the-top power player stuff. But these are genuinely good quality of life improvements. Not too much information overload and just preventing you from wasting time with a bunch of try/fail attempts, which is just bad design.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
This is too painfully good lol. I love this game, but sometimes it can feel a little clunky, which a lot of these QoL can help on.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
These things are all so obvious that it has to be intentional that they were left out.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The thing is that a lot of those changes would be things that if you didn't know how to use them, you could still just play the game as you do. Like right now a lot of people don't know that you can mash A to fast forward the crafting animation. Adding QOL changes isn't going to make the game difficult for children. They can still run all the way to the airport and go through the dialogue boxes to open their island/fly somewhere.
I'm not disagreeing, there's some excellent ideas in that video. I'm saying Nintendo isn't doing any of that that full stop, it just isn't their priority with the game.

I'll gladly eat all my turnips if I turn out to be wrong.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
I don't even want to watch this because it's going to make me sad when absolutely none of it ever gets patched in. Game needs so many QoL updates that are just no-brainers.
I watched it -- reluctantly for this reason. And sure enough, I instantly regret it.

Don't watch it.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Both sentences come off as a defense of it since you're hypothesizing and presenting a justification for it without criticism. Also the way your second sentence was phrased makes it come across on first read like you're judging people for taking it too seriously (though I see now how that's not what you intended).

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I'm not disagreeing, there's some excellent ideas in that video. I'm saying Nintendo isn't doing any of that that full stop, it just isn't their priority with the game.

I kind of agree, but I think they will change them up if the uproar is loud enough.

The game is a mood, they are trying to go for the patient approach, they dont want to start down this slippery slope because they want you to play 1-2 hours a day at max. They want your day to be "I built a bridge and caught 2 fish!", I think they purposely punish players that want to do more.

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is brilliant. I hope this goes viral. A well-made fake Direct to fool people into thinking it's real to hopefully force Nintendo to implement these changes or at least get them to pay attention.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus

I doubt they won't include anything suggested in this video. Considering their usual pace for updates though, we'll probably be waiting longer than we would've liked to even get some of them.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Nintendo will never listen to players, they know best.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hell naw, I need these restrictions in place otherwise everyone else's island will get so much better than mine.

Nintendo, please remove QOL features like... uhm... you know which ones.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
That was REALLY well made, though part of me is a stickler annoyed at the 'features we actually want' tag as though all the stuff added in New Horizons was bad.

There IS a specific design philosophy with these games, though. While some of the QoL features here would definitely be improvements, I think some others (specifically the dialogue skip) would go against what the developers hope the intended user experience is (I.E. communication with others).

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Both sentences come off as a defense of it since you're hypothesizing and presenting a justification for it without criticism. Also the way your second sentence was phrased makes it come across on first read like you're judging people for taking it too seriously (though I see now how that's not what you intended).
I don't know what to say, I'm not trying to be judgey. I play the game a couple hours a day at least, my house is fully upgraded and I'm working on making everything nice now. The game is honestly one of the nicest chillest things I have going on right now.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I've seen some of these ideas in writing, but they nailed the visuals. The indicator for where the shovel goes is perfect.

But what I really want some times is the in-house overhead designer for the whole island that lets me quickly put down paths and terraform. That'd be nice.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what to say, I'm not trying to be judgey. I play the game a couple hours a day at least, my house is fully upgraded and I'm working on making everything nice now. The game is honestly one of the nicest chillest things I have going on right now.
Yeah, I know now that you expanded on your comment a bit. I'm just saying that's why it came across that way.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, I must admit there's some good stuff in this video. The problem I have with a lot of QoL improvements people suggest, is that it's always geared to make the play experience as fast and efficient as possible. And there's the risk of reducing AC to something that's not AC.

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Many of these changes would make the game infinitely more playable, so I know Nintendo will never implement any of them. :(

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. Really well-made video.

Sadly, I doubt any of this is gonna make it into the game though.

Edit: lmao at that bit with the wasps

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I must admit there's some good stuff in this video. The problem I have with a lot of QoL improvements people suggest, is that it's always geared to make the play experience as fast and efficient as possible. And there's the risk of reducing AC to something that's not AC.
It already is that. All I see is talk of turnip sales most of the time. A lot of these things make the day-to-day things and the creative stuff less painful, repetitive, and prone to error.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
Damn all those things makes the game 10/10. Amazing job for a fanmade, are the voice actors professionals? If not they should be.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Fantastic video.

I'm sorry, but it's baffling that these features aren't already in the game. I love this game, but I see no reason why these don't be exist. Total conspiracy theory, but sometimes it really feels like Nintendo enjoys making the player spend more time doing menial tasks. All it succeeds in doing is frustrate the player though. I wish they'd respect our time more with QoL stuff.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That was REALLY well made, though part of me is a stickler annoyed at the 'features we actually want' tag as though all the stuff added in New Horizons was bad.

There IS a specific design philosophy with these games, though. While some of the QoL features here would definitely be improvements, I think some others (specifically the dialogue skip) would go against what the developers hope the intended user experience is (I.E. communication with others).
The purpose of the skip is to get through the repetitive dialogue that bogs down every. single. fucking. action. They even accounted for your concern by saying it wouldn't skip over unseen dialogue.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Damn all those things makes the game 10/10. Amazing job for a fanmade, are the voice actors professionals? If not they should be.
Kira Buckland & Lizzie Freeman definitely are. The former is the English voice for 2B in NieR: Automata, Falke in Street Fighter V, & Reimi in JoJo Part 4. The latter is the English voice for Trish in JoJo Part 5.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That video was incredibly well made. If even ONE of the suggestions from there makes it into the live game I'd call it a victory