• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PonyStation

Banned
May 24, 2019
Gamefaqs is still the best place to discuss individual games in terms of how active it is and it's organization.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
For me, Reddit has been good on the smaller, less popular games side. I doubt it's like that for the more popular games.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to discuss about piracy but with a nice comunity. Still against TOS here on ERA. For technical stuff I remember GBATemp being a good place(maybe I'm wrong) though I don't know about games.

Also, is there a good place to discuss anything inside 4chan? Last time I went there every time they used offensive stuff on purpose on each phrase.

MOD EDIT: Removed inappropriate language

Official Staff Communication
Members are welcome to discuss piracy as a topic but keep in mind Era's rules on the subject as outlined in our General Guide.

Copyrighted Material and Piracy

Encouraging piracy, admitting to piracy, threatening to commit piracy, and linking to piracy websites is strictly prohibited. This policy also applies to links to torrents, direct downloads, pirated reproduction cartridges, streams of pirated content, and unauthorized releases of any kind. More information on this policy and DMCA takedowns is available in our terms of service. Do not embed copyrighted material such as magazine scans. Copying and pasting entire articles or reports for redistribution is also prohibited.

Homebrew and Emulation

While software piracy is never acceptable, emulation is legal and discussions about it are welcome. As long as a hack can be used for legitimate homebrew and/or legal emulation it can be discussed here, and those discussions should not be derailed by piracy concerns. Do not enter a thread about homebrew or emulation and conflate the subject with piracy.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I typically go to GameFAQ's or specific Reddit boards, mostly for niche games or finding communities. I avoid their general game, company or system boards, those can be a mess.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Members are welcome to discuss piracy as a topic but keep in mind Era's rules on the subject as outlined in our General Guide.

Stuff I wanted to discuss is probably against TOS because depending on interpretation could be considered encouraging. Morality of piracy, piracy as a mean of medium preservation, piracy as a mean of marginalized to have contact to games and other stuff like that. The other day we had a thread about piracy, emulation and rom preservation that I thought it would be interesting to discuss with folks here but things went downhill and got locked fast.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of which, what I'd give for a chan-like imageboard with near resetera-level moderation and a friendlier community.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Discord is probably your best hope, but even on a good discord you'll often find that many people are afraid of the "SJW" boogie man. If you find a good server it's probably best not to discuss politics if you don't want to find out that many of the people your are sharing it with are actually jackasses.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Metacouncil is pretty great. It's more PC focused, but there's a bit of everything there.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I haven't had too many issues with discord and to a lesser extent Reddit. It seems theres a strong correlation with meme spam and alt right users. So if you find places that are more geared towards discussion, it tends to be moderated appropriately. The memeier subreddits and discords that I frequent I usually mute and just check in every so often and it seems to work for me.

Zipzoom

May 27, 2019
So there are a lot of games I like that no one on ERA plays, so their OTs are dead. There are some places it's easy to find conversations about them, such as 4chan, but I don't want to go there because, well, it's 4chan, and they're fucking awful.

Are there any other places besides Reddit [which is often almost as bad] to discuss games that no one talks about on ERA? Or am I pretty much screwed on that front?
ERA is pretty much the only active safe space regarding videogames. Some subreddits are decent though.

silvermakhno

Apr 20, 2018
As many people have said already, try the discords. The Absolver discord is really good for deck building tips, finding some people to fight against, showing off fashion etc

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Arent all those people full of alt right people??
yeah, wtf. not sure how gamefaqs is being cited as a safer place than reddit
if we strictly talking quality of the community from my experience even in the bigger subreddits at least there's a level of moderation which makes the experience less frustrating than gf

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Stuff I wanted to discuss is probably against TOS because depending on interpretation could be considered encouraging. Morality of piracy, piracy as a mean of medium preservation, piracy as a mean of marginalized to have contact to games and other stuff like that. The other day we had a thread about piracy, emulation and rom preservation that I thought it would be interesting to discuss with folks here but things went downhill and got locked fast.

In the cases where it violates the general guide, it's best just to not bring it up.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Reddit definitely. Their sub Reddit are always heavily populated and don't think I have ever seen any alt right stuff.

Normally well moderated.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Reddit definitely. Their sub Reddit are always heavily populated and don't think I have ever seen any alt right stuff.

Normally well moderated.

Any good communities for general game discussion stuff? A lot of gaming communities are plagued with memes and really shallow responses / discussion.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Any good communities for general game discussion stuff? A lot of gaming communities are plagued with memes and really shallow responses / discussion.

My advice would be not to sort by most up voted as you will see a lot of memes etc.

I always sort by new and you get a lot of good topics then

Hellraider

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
NeoGAF seems also a good place to have a discussion about games these days.
This is probably a joke, but man, I feel so naive for believing that Neogaf could turn into a decent smaller community after the exodus. For some reason the people (person?) making the decisions there probably thought that there is more money to be made by pandering to all the bigots instead of actually fixing their shit and use this chance to improve.