• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I like the boxart more with the Switch layout, but I already own the game there. PS4 I guess

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
You really should give us some info on 90s Arcade Racer but who cares about that right?

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Put the quote on the box
d9ckmb3xsaal0icb2j3t.jpeg

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Is Nicalis similar to THQ and Limited Run Games in the sense that they publish physical releases of games?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Is Nicalis similar to THQ and Limited Run Games in the sense that they publish physical releases of games?

The store JUST opened, and they said some stuff might be store exclusive. As of now, you can find their games in retail like GS, BBuy, and whatnot.

EDIT: Missread. They localize and publish, not just publish.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's probably not final, but that giant yellow logo isn't doing the cover any favors. Why not do it in black/white like the rest of the fonts and to be consistent with the game's theme?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Also to note about their new store:

Looks like this was why retailers took down Remi-Lore off their pre-orders. Nicalis Store exclusive.
RemiLore_PS4_pack_shot.png

Umihara Kawase also get this exclusive outer box as a store exclusive.
KawaseBoxPromoShot_01_1024x.png

Most likely Ikaruga will also be exclusive.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
so for real is there handheld vertical mode on the Switch version?

www.fangamer.com

Flip Grip - Fangamer

OLED Switch is NOT compatible with Flip Grip. Meet the Flip Grip, a handheld accessory for vertical-mode gaming on the Switch. A pair of Joy-con rails on either side of the grip allow you to flip the Switch 90 degrees for vertical handheld action. The Flip Grip makes portable vertical-mode...

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.

I feel like this should be bigger news then people are making it out? Why should Nicalis refrain from putting Treasure on the front of the box? They didn't make Ikaruga, they only published it, and both Developer and Publisher Credits need to be visible on the front.

I'm not familiar with publishing law, but this seems sketchy.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017

I feel like this should be bigger news then people are making it out? Why should Nicalis refrain from putting Treasure on the front of the box? They didn't make Ikaruga, they only published it, and both Developer and Publisher Credits need to be visible on the front.

I'm not familiar with publishing law, but this seems sketchy.

This is normal. Developer logos are reserved for the back which Nicalis is usually good at doing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just checked, there's no mention of studio pixel on the back of cave story+ for switch.
Just checked as well and yup. Not only that, it has an instruction manual that not only doesn't mention Studio Pixel, but also refers to Cave Story + as a Nicalis game multiple times. It acts as if the game is for their own console called Nicalis as if it's a Nintendo game, but as a result it has this line:
This official seal is your assurance that Nicalis Inc. has developed this game to its best effort of quality, design and fun.
I don't know how much truth there is to "they stole the Cave Story IP" but they do sure like to act like they're the ones who created it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just checked as well and yup. Not only that, it has an instruction manual that not only doesn't mention Studio Pixel, but also refers to Cave Story + as a Nicalis game multiple times. It acts as if the game is for their own console called Nicalis as if it's a Nintendo game, but as a result it has this line:

I don't know how much truth there is to "they stole the Cave Story IP" but they do sure like to act like they're the ones who created it.
maybe that's how they're getting quote and curly into all their crossover games, i doubt pixel himself would ok all of this.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
This is normal. Developer logos are reserved for the back which Nicalis is usually good at doing.

I did some digging, and while it's definitely the case with physical switch releases, they have a history of doing it with all of their other published releases as well, like 1001 Spikes and Cavestory.

In fact, their publishing history suggests that they are usually only publishing a game when they can contact the developer and work out a deal to gain the IP, which is definitely not the industry standard.

yikes, any more info on the cave story stuff? i had no idea about that. no wonder pixel went with another publisher for kero blaster.

just checked, there's no mention of studio pixel on the back of cave story+ for switch.

The story goes that in the negotiations for publishing Cave Story, Tyrone, owner of Nicalis, willfully took advantage of Studio Pixel, who's actual name is Daisuke. His lack of skill in the English language was manipulated to trick him into signing away the IP rights of Cave Story over to Nicalis.

Daisuke still owns certain parts of Cave Story's assets, but overall the whole buisness soured and depressed him significantly and almost led to him leaving game development altogether.

Any information regarding this arrangement has either been scrubbed or kept private, but the public disappointment in publishing stated by Daisuke around the time of the deal, as well as Nicalis's refusal to credit him in rereleases, has lead many to believe this is the case.

Regardless, it would be difficult to prove it completely without consenting information from anyone currently or previously employed at Nicalis, but it is very unlikely anyone would want to be forthcoming with that.

I choose to believe that Daisuke's treatment in the aquisition of his IP, and the many examples of Nicalis publishing many independent games only when they gain the rights to their IP to be connected, and super sketchy.

As a result, I refuse to purchase their games, and I remain skeptical of their goodwill. As good as Ikaruga is, it's not worth supporting a company willing to use such duplicitous tactics to gain footing in the indie game market.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Anything that ups the likelihood for getting Radiant Silvergun HD, Guardian Heroes HD and Bangai-O HD Missile Fury on my Switch (and I guess PS4/Steam) is fine by me.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The story goes that in the negotiations for publishing Cave Story, Tyrone, owner of Nicalis, willfully took advantage of Studio Pixel, who's actual name is Daisuke. His lack of skill in the English language was manipulated to trick him into signing away the IP rights of Cave Story over to Nicalis.

Daisuke still owns certain parts of Cave Story's assets, but overall the whole buisness soured and depressed him significantly and almost led to him leaving game development altogether.

Any information regarding this arrangement has either been scrubbed or kept private, but the public disappointment in publishing stated by Daisuke around the time of the deal, as well as Nicalis's refusal to credit him in rereleases, has lead many to believe this is the case.

Regardless, it would be difficult to prove it completely without consenting information from anyone currently or previously employed at Nicalis, but it is very unlikely anyone would want to be forthcoming with that.

I choose to believe that Daisuke's treatment in the aquisition of his IP, and the many examples of Nicalis publishing many independent games only when they gain the rights to their IP to be connected, and super sketchy.

As a result, I refuse to purchase their games, and I remain skeptical of their goodwill. As good as Ikaruga is, it's not worth supporting a company willing to use such duplicitous tactics to gain footing in the indie game market.
damn, that is scummy as fuck. now i feel bad for getting a physical copy of the game on switch, i just kinda assumed part of the money is going to pixel.