• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

EXCLUSIVE: In what is sure to be one of the bigger directing jobs to be taken off the table in recent months, we are hearing that Nia DaCosta, who directed the anticipated reboot of Candyman, has been tapped as director on Marvel's sequel to Captain Marvel.

Disney and Marvel Studios had no comment.

DaCosta takes over for Anne Bowden and Ryan Fleck, who directed the first pic to massive box office success. Marvel is known for switching up its directors on its popular franchises like Thor, Iron Man and Captain America to give the next installment a fresh voice, and had been meeting with candidates for the past couple of months.

Although the studio met with several individuals, DaCosta seemed to have the edge for some time even as she and others met with Marvel chief Kevin Feige over the weekend.

Megan McDonnell, a staff writer on the Marvel-based series WandaVision, penned the script for the Captain Marvel sequel, with Brie Larson returning to star.

In the first film, Larson's Carol Danvers was a human who becomes involved in the war between two alien races, the Kree and shape-shifting Skrulls. Surviving an explosion tied to an alien engine imbued her with incredible power, turning her into Captain Marvel and making her one of the most powerful heroes in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The film was released in March 2019 and grossed $1.13 billion worldwide.

DaCosta has been on the rise since directing the indie Little Woods, the critically acclaimed film that put her on every exec and producer's radar including Jordan Peele who hand picked her to direct his Candyman retelling. Though the release has been pushed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it's first trailer set social media on fire and has fans of the original super excited with what DaCosta has brought to the table in her version.

She also directed a film with Tessa Thompson in it! Little Woods, from 2019.

633738d0e8d486e9a9900f6cc8724df2.gif

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Monica Rambeau please, lets get to the real Captain Marvels

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
This is very, very rad. I would love to see what she brings to the MCU table.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Cool. Even though I don't watch horror movies, it's great to see more female directors coming to the MCU.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. I'd definitely like a shake-up from how Captain Marvel turned out, so I'm down.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I've heard talk about Little Woods but never got around to seeing it. I should probably fix that.

Going by the praise it got, Marvel Studios definitely chose well with DaCosta.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I really like what I see from Candyman.

I hope she gets free reign on the project. CM1 felt like it was directed by an algorithm, which is strange considering those directors had done solid work in the past.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I'm particularly excited for her since I don't know her work but I'm glad Captain Marvel is getting a new vision. The last film was enjoyable but it lacked pizazz.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
I love what Feige has been doing since being unshackled. I am just as excited for this choice as I am for Chloe Zhao with the Eternals (which is, to be clear, very excited).

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I liked the cast etc from the first film, but I don't think it was very well directed. Happy to see them change it up, and the Candyman remake trailer at least had a pretty good style to it (did the film come out yet?)

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome.

CM1 felt very flat and uninspired (even in its 90s homage stuff) to me so hopefully she can bring some style and energy that the first one lacked.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nice! Candyman looks dope so far. Captain Marvel was super bland and not very well directed, so hopefully Nia can make the sequel more exciting.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
The problem of the first one was certainly a lack of a concrete vision behind it, it lacked focus. So I hope second movie is better in this regard.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All these tweets tell me I'm gonna like CM2, bring it on.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
The problem of the first one was certainly a lack of a concrete vision behind it, it lacked focus. So I hope second movie is better in this regard.
I dug the sort of buddy-cop vibe, and i liked where the story went generally by the end, but it took a long time to get where it was going

i quite enjoyed captain marvel, but this shift in direction could make the sequel a slam dunk if done right

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
I dug the sort of buddy-cop vibe, and i liked where the story went generally by the end, but it took a long time to get where it was going

i quite enjoyed captain marvel, but this shift in direction could make the sequel a slam dunk if done right
Yeah, Jackson and Larson were great together my farorite part of the movie.

I certainly could have lived without the "just a girl" sequence, but also liked what they tried to do with the story, even if it wasn't executed that good.