• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
other sites saying it's fine minus a few minor bugs

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch was the PlayStation 3's JRPG swansong. It was a stellar collaboration between Japanese video game developer Level-5 and animation powerhouse Studio Ghibli. Akihiro Hino retained the wit in writing here that he imparted to the Professor Layton series. Yoshiyuki Momose, who worked in a variety of animation roles at Ghibli, did the storyboards and character designs. And perpetual Studio Ghibli collaborator Joe Hisaishi composed an emotional score. Unfortunately, something has gone horribly wrong with this Switch port.

edit maybe it's not broken?

don't mention these major issues

Last edited:

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
dang that sucks. i have the ps3 version that i haven't touched. was debating switch or ps4 remastered now i'm leaning towards ps4

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
That is disappointing. I haven't played the game yet and was considering getting the Switch version sometime down the road.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
That is disappointing. I haven't played the game yet and was considering getting the Switch version sometime down the road.

Eh, you're not missing out on much. Even with the PS3 version, Nnk1 is average. The in battle ai is excruciatingly bad and the story falls off a cliff just past the half way mark.
Aesthetically it's fantastic with absolutely beautiful graphics, but I didn't find it very fun to play.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Going by Twitter, other outlets don't have the same issues ... strange.

Maybe a case of one of those wonky SD carts?

Oct 26, 2017
The Switch version was by Engine Software, while the PS4 and PC versions were by Q-LOC.

What is it with BN not letting Q-LOC do the Switch ports? This also happened with Dark Souls Remastered. Thank god Q-LOC did Tales of Vesperia on Switch.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Quotes from the review:

I played Ni no Kuni on version 1.0.1, the most current patch available at the time. Within the first 20 minutes of my playthrough, Oliver had glitched through his animations on numerous occasions. He would be eating breakfast talking to his mother; then she would nightmarishly glitch through her voice-over and Oliver would clip across the room. There were many times where the audio would experience an issue like this and get hung up on a particular line, leading the dialogue to be out of sync for the rest of a cutscene. Issues like these required me to restart the game, which solved the problem only briefly. These issues persisted outside of battle, with the audio still having issues even during the hand-drawn anime scenes. Re-downloading the game to system memory made no difference.
Visually, Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is the type of game that holds up better than others from that era. The hand-drawn aesthetic brings to life a gorgeous fantasy world that has the same level of detail as Studio Ghibli's films. Environments look lived in and were crafted with passion by designers. Unfortunately, the Switch port doesn't even faithfully carry this aspect, due to blurrier textures and an uneven performance when compared to its PS3 counterpart.

Notably, with all the hours of voice-over dialogue and cutscenes that take place, the install file for this game on PlayStation 3 was nearly 22 GB, whereas the Nintendo Switch install is 5.7 GB. Perhaps botched compression is to blame for some of the port's problems

Chaz Ashley

Oct 25, 2017
PS4-Remaster is very solid from what I've played, it has sharpened textures and 60fps / 1080p on base PS4. It looks not very far from NiNoKuni 2 quality-wise.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Considering the Switch version is more expensive this makes it even worse. Pay more for worse performance. No thanks.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This is just lazyness, the Switch should be able to play this flawlessly.

It would be nice if we can stop saying developers were "lazy" just because something came out at a lower quality than you expected. You don't know how many people worked on the port, how much time they had to work on said port, or even what the budget was for said port. The developers weren't the ones that shipped it out. The publisher did despite knowing the quality.

DarthButcher

Oct 30, 2017
Oof, hopefully this gets resolved quickly or was an isolated incident. I've been looking forward to trying out this masterpiece...despite the fact it will go on my large Switch backlog for this Winter.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh man, this is a maaaaaaaajor bummer for me, i was so looking forward to finally playing this game after wanting to ever since it was announced for the DS.
i guess i shouldn't be optimistic about patches and updates solving its issues?

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
A half baked port. Another Level5 desperate attempt to recover from ongoing failures.

Sep 14, 2019
That's unfortunate. I remember Valkyria Chronicles on Switch had some framerate issues, sometimes it would chug pretty bad, but they weren't incredibly often or anything from what I've played and it was still a pretty decent port all things considered. And Vesperia on Switch is an amazing port (though I imagine that's probably based on the 360 version, just with content added in from the PS3 one?). It's unfortunate Ni No Kuni did not get the same treatment.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo Life didn't mention anything in their review.

I was indeed looking at their review via MetaCritic, they don't mention anything about such problems

Ni No Kuni also features some near-peerless environmental design, with each traversable area featuring a masterful blend of uneven terrain and slightly claustrophobic decorations that really sell the idea of these places being real. Best of all, performance remains consistent in docked or handheld modes, and though the resolution caps out at 720p in docked, we'd still argue that the art style makes this is one of the most visually striking releases yet available on the Nintendo Switch.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
Why are we taking one outlets review as gospel when countless others have presented nothing of the sort in regards to performance issues?

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
"It works on my machine". LOL, I've used that excuse sometimes :P

I mean, if the worst issues end up being an isolated issue things are a bit different...

That said I don't have much faith in Bamco's post-launch support on Switch right now, so you'd better hope that's the case. If it is that bad I don't have much faith after Dark Souls Remastered's audio.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if the worst issues end up being an isolated issue things are a bit different...

That said I don't have much faith in Bamco's post-launch support on Switch right now, so you'd better hope that's the case. If it is that bad I don't have much faith after Dark Souls Remastered's audio.
This isn't Bandai Namco's fault, though.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
This is just lazyness, the Switch should be able to play this flawlessly.
It would be nice if we can stop saying developers were "lazy" just because something came out at a lower quality than you expected. You don't know how many people worked on the port, how much time they had to work on said port, or even what the budget was for said port. The developers weren't the ones that shipped it out. The publisher did despite knowing the quality.
Yep, it is not lazyness, it is greedy publishing.
When port is involved, you have what you paid for (and time allowed). It the same with translation (video or books).

Status
Not open for further replies.