• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017

Listed in the second picture.

If you haven't heard of this, nobody has. It was a massive bomb in the Japanese box office, and the fact it's being dumped on Netflix is likely Level-5 attempting to make some money back on it.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
When is Level 5 going to get their shit together? I'm not concern trolling here I genuinely think they have no idea how to run a business. They just keep making weird decisions.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
So... Dragon Quest Your Story and now this....
2 of the hated videogame movie last year in Japan are both coming to Netflix lol.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
When is Level 5 going to get their shit together? I'm not concern trolling here I genuinely think they have no idea how to run a business. They just keep making weird decisions.

They have a lot to sort out, but how is this a weird decision? I'm not sure what about them putting the movie on Netflix would elicit this kind of response, especially given the type of movie it is.

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
They have a lot to sort out, but how is this a weird decision? I'm not sure what about them putting the movie on Netflix would elicit this kind of response, especially given the type of movie it is.

No, the weird decisions is making this movie in the first place. Bringing it to Netflix is fine.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god, really? I was really looking forward to it. This is amazing news!

Could be the perfect excuse to finally start Ni no Kuni 2, as well.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So... Dragon Quest Your Story and now this....
2 of the hated videogame movie last year in Japan are both coming to Netflix lol.
Hey at least this is a good decision by L-5 since they likely made some money with a Netflix deal.

Probably not enough to recoup how much of a bomb the movie was, but still.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
if it didnt do well in japan its going to do much worse here

If it was a theater situation I'd agree with you, but the way Netflix works means a lot of people could see the Ghibli-style art and click on it. Not sure if Netflix has any other big anime releases coming up soon to contest it, either. Saint Seiya coming a few days later might throw it off.

Dunno if it'd help a flop break even, though.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
i heard back in the launch that the characters were good.

sure gonna give a watch, bought NNK2 at holiday's deals and am excited to play :)

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine watching a Ni no Kuni film when the writing is among the weakest aspects of those games lmao

Will watch to hate it properly, I guess, so Hino won.

ObbyDent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Imagine watching a Ni no Kuni film when the writing is among the weakest aspects of those games lmao

852.jpg

Imagine that.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
I'm one of the few that liked Ni no kuni 2 despite its flaws so I'll watch this if it comes to French netflix.

Box office bust is not necessarily related to the quality of the movie - lots of utter shite gets lots of views - so I'll judge when I see it.

Hope the DQ movie gets added to French netflix too - I was spoiled the « twist » on twitter and on here but I still want to watch it .

LukasHeinzel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that looks really cool. The Games were both incredibly boring, but amazing to look at. Hopefully they make more of the story in the movie.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Level 5 helped/ used to make my favorite games
:-(

I'm down for this disaster though. You know I almost watched the Death Note movie and I just couldn't do it 2 minutes in.

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
If not knowing how to run a business requires being generally successful for 22 years, they yes, they have no idea how to run a business.

Ok. Let me change it to: They've been successful for so long but now they're making decisions that make worry about their future. I think they should focus on making a big hit first before pushing into a media franchise.

Better?

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Ok. Let me change it to: They've been successful for so long but now they're making decisions that make worry about their future. I think they should focus on making a big hit first before pushing into a media franchise.

Better?
I suppose, but I still don't really think their recent actions are particularly weird or awful at all! For a studio with less than 400 employees, they're doing great. There are bigger studios who ship fewer games and sell less units overall, so I wouldn't be concerned tbh. They've got tons of experience with building media around their series, so I really don't think NNK getting a sixty minute movie is a problem even if the series isn't the hottest thing around.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I suppose, but I still don't really think their recent actions are particularly weird or awful at all!
Idk how you can see the production of the next Inazuma Eleven game, and not think it is weird. The anime that was meant to promote it already ended, and the toy manufacture for it has gave up waiting and decided to just sent their merchandise out to the market.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Oh damn, it's not Ghibli, it's just Hisaishi (and what looks to be the character designer or a really good imitator). Just like Ni No Kuni 2.

Its OLM, the Pokemon movie people.
... I haven't seen Pokemon movies for a while, so dunno what that means but I did beat Ni no Kuni 2 and this looks like a much more bite sized investment.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Idk how you can see the production of the next Inazuma Eleven game, and not think it is weird. The anime that was meant to promote it already ended, and the toy manufacture for it has gave up waiting and decided to just sent their merchandise out to the market.
I mean, what we're they supposed to do? It's not realistic to just say "hey, pause the anime and toys, we have to wait on this". It's unfortunate, but not unreasonable.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I heard this movie was good and set itself apart from the games whch are entirely different. Cant wait to see what its all about

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I heard this movie was good and set itself apart from the games whch are entirely different. Cant wait to see what its all about
Most of the reviews I saw (english and japanese) praised the animation, direction and music but argued that the story was it's weak point. Hopefully it can actually be a nice surprise there.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, that Pixar looking DQ movie already came out... and it's bad?

It looked so good...

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, that Pixar looking DQ movie already came out... and it's bad?

It looked so good...
I think the problem is mostly the story. You see, they added a twist
in which they explain that the film was not an accurate recreation of the game story because its actually a VR isekai (ala Sword Art Online) and the final enemy is a computer virus... or something.