• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Yall have so much cap room? Feels like another defender might have been a good idea. Still guys out there but without EJ Avs looked like a different team in the playoffs.
We have a lot of RFAs we don't have as much cap room as it appears. Plus Makar and Landeskog get new contracts next year. We could probably fit one of Pie or Hall if we really wanted to.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize Krug was already 29. The contract will hurt in the latter half but it's fine for a team still in their window.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Dom Luszczyszyn dishes out some winners and losers. These are the latter.

New York Rangers

Somehow, Jack Johnson was able to get another NHL contract. He is no longer an NHL-calibre player and is unlikely to be worth any deal at any price. Even at $1.15 million for one year, it's a bad investment, one he outplays just seven percent of the time. The Rangers paid a fair amount to get out of Marc Staal's contract in what should've been a strong addition by subtraction move, but then went out and signed someone even worse. It's hard to believe signings like these are still happening in 2020.

Ottawa Senators

Look, anytime you can sign an RFA goalie coming off an .898 save percentage to the richest goalie contract of the day, you have to do it, right? Yeesh.

Goalies are weird, they go from bad to good to great to bad at the snap of a finger, so it's hard to judge any deal too harshly, but when Jacob Markstrom – an actually strong starter who has leverage as a UFA – goes for less than Matt Murray, something's wrong. Murray once looked like one of the league's most promising goalies but two of his last three seasons have been especially rough. Ottawa has cap space to burn so it's not a huge deal, but it's hard not to note this for what it is: The biggest overpay of the day.

Heh.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017

I think that was fair considering his age and injury history.

Brodie just got slightly more. So it's a bit funny to think that Brodie could've stayed in Calgary and Tanev went to Toronto.

Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
So BargainBin's entire offseason plan was to draft a bunch of 3-4 year away projects, trade away Domi, overpay Anderson and otherwise try again with the same core? Splendid job, Marc.
Don't forget the annual "Trades are hard" and "we tried for free agents" press conference. Like (broken) clockwork

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
That's a bad contract. And I love Tanev.

Benning should have known he wouldn't be able to re-sign them and should have traded them both. Lost for nothing, except a 2nd round exit. This was preventable.

Now to overpay Barrie.

I see it as Columbus a couple years ago. They wouldn't be able to keep Panarin and Bob but instead of trading them they decided to go for it and acquire Duchene. They won one round and they all walked in the summer. Was it worth it?

Benning was under pressure to make the playoffs and there's no way he could've traded his starter and best RHD and hope to make it. He can be faulted for a lot of things but I don't think this is one of them.

Oct 25, 2017
I see it as Columbus a couple years ago. They wouldn't be able to keep Panarin and Bob but instead of trading them they decided to go for it and acquire Duchene. They won one round and they all walked in the summer. Was it worth it?

Benning was under pressure to make the playoffs and there's no way he could've traded his starter and best RHD and hope to make it. He can be faulted for a lot of things but I don't think this is one of them.
Well, I disagree! Was bound to happen, LP. We can't agree on everything forever.

As I see it... in any job you may have certain expectations to perform, but you don't undermine long term benefit to make it possible. You sell the vision to owners and explain your decisions. You sell it to season ticket holders. Canucks were never going to a) come close to the Cup (despite the 'anything can happen' narrative), and b) never going to be able to afford Tanev, Toffoli or Markstrom. The shield of 'making the playoffs' is unacceptable here, regardless of pressure. You manage those assets and replace them. eg, trade Markstrom in 2019 and sign Lehner. Don't trade for Toffoli unless you know you can re-sign him. etc

Like... this is an organization worth hundreds of millions of dollars, right? Benning is the General Manager. Every problem he now faces is one of his own creation. Defending him for trying to defy the odds is silly to me. Reminds me of people coddling Biden when he makes mistakes. It's an important position and why can't we expect more?

And Columbus is an interesting example. I thought the general consensus was that they should have tried to trade Bob and Panarin and avoided Duchene, no? Going for broke has its charm, particularly when it's a small market in Ohio so who gives a fuck, but yeah I don't think that was wise. Tbf to Columbus, though, they had been a really good team for a few seasons and the prospect of tearing down and rebuilding was probably terrifying.

Oct 25, 2017
Stecher is a good 2nd/3rd pair dman, a precious right shot, affordable, and from Vancouver.... why not bring him back?

Will wait to see what Benning does. Maybe they want to give Rafferty his minutes, but he's never played a single NHL minute. Meanwhile you literally only have one NHL RHD right now: Myers. Who's out there besides Barrie, who should absolutely not get what he's asking?

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Yzerman making moves and not breaking the bank?? I'm not used to this. Wings are now shored up to at least not be fucking garbage next season. Our D corps is now literally just all defensive D-men (barring Hronek), guess he was tired of having a -1994848 goal differential.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
You've added Greiss, Stecher, Marc Staal and Bobby Ryan... what makes you think you won't be fucking garbage?

Greiss and Stecher are good additions, but these guys aren't moving the needle much
Because they also dumped a bunch of worthless players that provided zero offense and terrible defense. Abby, Ericsson, Daley, Perlini, Ehn, Bowey, and Howard.

I'm not expecting total 180 flip from last season, but just by subtracting and adding those players above we are a better team that will win more games and not allow nearly as many goals.

My guess for line combo's going into next season would be

Bertuzzi, Larkin, Mantha
Zadina, Fabbri, Ryan
Filppula, Nielsen, Gagner
Helm, Glendening, Erne

Dekeyser, Hronek
Nemeth, Stecher
Staal, Merrill
Biega

Greiss/Bernier

Wings will have the lowest scoring D in the league next season, but I'll take a year of that if that means we won't be giving up 4 goals a game.

Oct 25, 2017
Because they also dumped a bunch of worthless players that provided zero offense and terrible defense. Abby, Ericsson, Daley, Perlini, Ehn, Bowey, and Howard.

I'm not expecting total 180 flip from last season, but just by subtracting and adding those players above we are a better team that will win more games and not allow nearly as many goals.

My guess for line combo's going into next season would be

Bertuzzi, Larkin, Mantha
Zadina, Fabbri, Ryan
Filppula, Nielsen, Gagner
Helm, Glendening, Erne

Dekeyser, Hronek
Nemeth, Stecher
Staal, Merrill
Biega

Greiss/Bernier

Wings will have the lowest scoring D in the league next season, but I'll take a year of that if that means we won't be giving up 4 goals a game.
For sure, but that's still an awful roster is all I'm saying. You guys will be the worst team in the NHL again.

To be clear, I like the moves in the Wings' context. I don't think they should be trying, yet, to be anything but awful. Short term contracts to fill roster spots and continue to draft and develop. Yzerman is doing well, as expected

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Canucks defense will be an absolute joke this year. Not looking forward to it.

I like Benning for drafting and trades, but in free agency, cut his phone line pls, someone. Garbage contracts for our bottom 6 still hurt.

edit: And, please, PLEASE replace Jake Virtanen. I dont want to see him again next season.

I think our signings have been fine this year, Motte's contract is good, Holtby's contract is fine considering it's only 2 years, and thank god Barrie is off the table.

"TSN's Frank Seravalli reports that Barrie, 29, left money on the table to join the Oilers. (Servalli reports that one offer included a $6M AAV.) "

Geez, I wonder what GM offered 6 fucking mil.... couldnt be the canucks...haha

Last edited:

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I almost expect Vancouver to miss the playoffs at this point but the Pacific is awful.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
If Chevy finds a workable 2nd or 3rd pair D and doesn't trade a top 6 winger this will be a very solid off season.